On This Day: November 26, 2009 - Umar Akmal scores 129 on Test debut

WebGuru

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Post of the Week
110588.jpg

Scorecard: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/423778.html

Umar began his innings after Shane Bond and Chris Martin had reduced Pakistan to 85 for 5, trailing by 344 runs in the first innings. He dominated a 176-run partnership with his older brother Kamran and helped Pakistan avoid the follow-on.

Umar has acquired a reputation of being a dasher with a cool head in the limited-overs formats and he began his Test career by cutting Bond for four off his first ball. He raced to his century with three consecutive boundaries off Iain O'Brien, eroding New Zealand's advantage with aggression: Umar hit 21 fours and two sixes in his innings of 129.

110589.jpg

Last edited:
and thn 75 in next innings he was the highest run scorer for Pakistan in both innings of that Test match. Scored a total of 204 runs on debut.

And we all know what he has descended into now. He's a laughing stock in world cricket . Can't even string along 3 half decent scores in a row .

From what I remember if that match h was swinging wildly . But a good knock for a debutant .

And for his fanboys, how many test centuries has he scored since his test debut 4 years ago???

His 75 in the next innings is the best I have seen him play till this date.

His 75 in the next innings is the best I have seen him play till this date.

It's not a good thing if you have seen a player play his best in his first test.

It's not a good thing if you have seen a player play his best in his first test.

Well it's been a while since he played a test and yes it's not a good thing. Probably sums up well why our batting is in shambles and why people shouldn't say we don't have talent. It's very clear that our young batsmen don't improve and work on their weaknesses when exposed. He played beautiful two knocks in his first test, got exposed in England and never worked on his weaknesses.

From what I remember if that match h was swinging wildly . But a good knock for a debutant .

This. He is not exactly the most elegant strokeplayer and apart from Bond, the NZ attack looked very ordinary. An excellent performance for a debutante but there was nothing to suggest that he was extraordinarily talented

It was a great knock, but he had his fair bit of luck but who doesn't?

Although it now seems like a fluke.

We he receives a lot of stick in a lot of threads. Let this thread be free of all the pollution. It was a good knock! This guy has not played test cricket for more than two years now so I guess guys he is getting what he deserves, Not getting any special treatment.

It wasn't a fluke. And Shane Bond was one of the bowlers in that match.

His 1st innings knock was full of attacking shots but his 2nd innings of 75 was even better - really measured as he wanted Pak to get to the target. And nearly did till a good caught and bowled by Bond.

He's not the same player now, both in shots and his approach today which is a shame but really he has to blame himself more than anyone else.

It wasn't a fluke. And Shane Bond was one of the bowlers in that match.

His 1st innings knock was full of attacking shots but his 2nd innings of 75 was even better - really measured as he wanted Pak to get to the target. And nearly did till a good caught and bowled by Bond.

He's not the same player now, both in shots and his approach today which is a shame but really he has to blame himself more than anyone else.

Any event whose probability of taking place again is almost 0 = fluke in my book.

I don't see Umar playing that sort of knock again against a top quality fast bowler in those conditions. Hence, its a fluke.

Afridi's 37 ball hundred was also a fluke.

Only you would be the only Pak fan that can call that a fluke.

He hasn't done justice to himself since then because he clearly has the ability but instead of going away to places like England to play first class cricket to further improve his game mentally and technically he started to focus on T20 and slogging. That's what I believe hence the player he is now.

Any event whose probability of taking place again is almost 0 = fluke in my book.

I don't see Umar playing that sort of knock again against a top quality fast bowler in those conditions. Hence, its a fluke.

Umar Akmal has always taken on the top fast bowlers.

Anderson, Brett lee, Steyn, Morkel, Bond, Murali, Malinga and he has had success.

Now can you tell me if you ever remember Misbah playing any thing you can remember against these bowlers?

Anderson, Brett lee, Steyn, Morkel, Bond, Murali, Malinga and he has had success.

Now can you tell me if you ever remember Misbah playing any thing you can remember against these bowlers?

He has and always will. That is his nature.

But my point is that he won't score such a hundred on a difficult wicket against world class fast bowlers because he isn't that good anymore.

Umar of 2009-10 > Umar of today in all formats.

It was a great knock, but he had his fair bit of luck but who doesn't?

Although it now seems like a fluke.

It was worse than a fluke . I remember lots of slogging , edges, missed catches , missed run outs. As Clive loyd said of the WI, New Zealand were drunk.

Akmal is a rank tailender that does not have the mental capacity to think a situation through . His first century was a fluke, and it was against very weak opposition . Even ashwin has a test century. Doesn't make him into batting genius. Akmal has 6 ODI failures in a row now

Ok hate aside it was a fine knock. What blast this guy came with. Hopefully he will remember that old flair.

I can't call Afridi's 37-ball 100 a fluke when I witnessed his carnage in Kanpur in 2005.

Akmal is a rank tailender that does not have the mental capacity to think a situation through . His first century was a fluke, and it was against very weak opposition . Even ashwin has a test century. Doesn't make him into batting genius. Akmal has 6 ODI failures in a row now

lol. Confusing tests and ODIs.

How many tests has Umar Akmal played on the flat tracks in the subcontinent?...

He needs to be measured in his approach and shot selection. Following the current approach will only get him these once in a blue moon jewels. Hitting a six off a fast bowler is always thrilling, but that is not all the game is about..

4 years passed but he didn't improve from his mistakes.
i think 93 against sri lanka in uae was very sensible knock but at the end same result.

i and my electronics teacher's is big fan of u akmal.
before every match i tells my teacher that today u akmal will score 100.
but he told me always one thing
when u akmal will score 100 it will b the last day of u akmal life.

Problem is his shot selection and approach, he has the ability, but it's the wanting to his 4s and 6s problem. Also I will point out he should at #4 because #6 is a pressure position and he can not handle pressure. So let him express himself at#4 and let's see the result.

Last edited:
And on this day the 28th, he made 75 in the second innings of the same Test. A fine debut. :uakmal

But where is he 8 years later? :(

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]...

This perfectly describes Karun Nair’s triple century :danish

Seems like you have different standards for Pakistani and Indian players...

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]...

This perfectly describes Karun Nair’s triple century :danish

Seems like you have different standards for Pakistani and Indian players...

It doesn't. Umar played a streaky innings on a very small ground, full of mis-hits and wild slogs. Nair played a phenomenal innings and displayed excellent technique, temperament and his full array of shots.

He certainly showed that he is capable of producing such innings in Test cricket. Obviously no one can score multiple 300s, but he can score hundreds frequently.

Umar's innings was a fluke that any slogger can play on his day.

It doesn't. Umar played a streaky innings on a very small ground, full of mis-hits and wild slogs. Nair played a phenomenal innings and displayed excellent technique, temperament and his full array of shots.

He certainly showed that he is capable of producing such innings in Test cricket. Obviously no one can score multiple 300s, but he can score hundreds frequently.

Clearly remember that Umar's knock and it wasn't streaky at all. He gave a couple of chances but that's about it. Had a few play and misses but that is pretty standard. It was a great innings and I wouldn't call it a fluke because in 2009 his hand-eye coordination was superb. He was at the peak of his form then. Scored a couple of centuries in ODIs too around that time if i recall correctly.

However, that year got to his head and he started believing that he's the greatest batsman to come to Pakistan cricket. Never worked hard and indulged in petty politics. He was never a footwork player and most hand-eye coordination players are usually found out pretty quickly in international cricket unless you're a freak like Sehwag. Right now Umar is only good for 30-40 runs.

And 10,000 bottles of water and an annual supply of 250 pakoras a year later, he's simply too rotund to play international cricket.

And on this day the 28th, he made 75 in the second innings of the same Test. A fine debut. :uakmal

But where is he 8 years later? :(

That 75 was much more impressive than the hundred. So much potential. Amounted to nothing.

Another day to ponder about what happened to his career.

Fans have moved on, nobody cares anymore.

Dj Khaled: "Anotha one"

Hopefully no more fallen "heroes" after this one :asif

And for his *******, how many test centuries has he scored since his test debut 4 years ago???

How many games did he play. What did his fellows team mates do when all his games were played abroad. Yeah that’s what I thought.

You really are so illogical and inconsistent. It seems like everything Pakistan does is a fluke. I watched this innings and he played proper cricket shots and tamed the bowling line up. You’d inflate one wicket or run from a indian to the moon and ignore a century or a array of wickets from a Pakistani.

I always felt he was talented but just didnt have the akal to be a great cricketer. Also didnt work hard and thought he had arrived when clearly he hadnt. The problem was the pundits and his supporters who kept saying "yes but he has talunt" oh bhai "talunt" isnt hitting a six with a flourish, its hitting daddy hundreds after a team has worked you out..thats real talunt!!

What could have been?
Miles more talented and gifted than his cousin babar azam, but babar has cricket intelligence and a gritty determination to succeed and be the best, umar just wants to hit a flashy six, like gavaskar.said on commentary once, something on the lines of this boy is very talented, hes got all the shots in the book, but it looks like he just wants to play to the gallery, how accurate was gavaskar?

Back