On This Day: October 8, 2010 - Misbah-ul-Haq appointed Test captain

Major

T20I Star
Runs
Post of the Week
After Salman Butt was caught and suspended for being involved in Corruption and Shahid Afridi retired from Test Cricket, Misbah-ul-Haq was made captain in Test cricket for the series against South Africa in 2010

Earlier that year, Misbah was dropped from the team after the 2010 World T20 due to his below par performance and was one of the seniors who missed out for the controversial tour of England in August.

PCB was criticized by many ex-cricketers for not only bringing back Misbah but also as captain over the likes of Mohammd Yousuf and Younis Khan, although ex-Coach Geoff Lawson and ex-Captain Wasim Akram were quite supportive. Misbah hit back at his critics by stating that he should be given a chance to prove himself.

Pakistan went on to draw the Test Series against South Africa and a few months later, won the Test series against New Zealand. They registered their first win under Misbah.

Following the Test series win, Misbah was praised as Pakistan had won their first Test series since 2006. Due to which rumors had began amongst fans and media that Misbah might as well take the ODI captaincy from Afridi and lead the Pakistan to the World Cup, but Afridi was retained as captain.

Under Misbah, Pakistan went on to defeat Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. His captaincy reached its high heights when Pakistan white-washed England 3-0 in 2012.

However, under Misbah, Pakistan had to endure a 3-0 white wash against South Africa in an away series. Question about his Test captaincy were raised, and his case grew even worse when Pakistan lost the second Test against Zimbabwe, making a series a draw.

Many former cricketers asked for Misbah to be removed as Test captain, but he was retained for the 2013 South Africa series, and today it has been 3 years since Misbah was been Pakistan's Test captain.

Last edited by a moderator:
His calm attitude was what we needed after all the spot fixing fiasco.

He steadied the ship, but he isn't the right person to lead a team that is stable in terms of not having controversies and lobbying in the team.

That reflects his batting as well. He is the ideal batsman when there's a collapse but harmful to the team when they are cruising.

I would appreciate if Webguru could post some stats in this thread of Misbah's test captaincy :)

Misbah's made a big contribution. Very good decision to appoint him as captain when the team was in turmoil.

I would appreciate if Webguru could post some stats in this thread of Misbah's test captaincy :)

Batting Stats in Test Matches where Misbah was Captain (excluding Ban & Zim)

lrqu.png

W/L Ratio (excluding Ban & Zim)

vs8t.png

Misbah won 6 and lost 4 Tests as captain if we exclude Zim and Ban. Won 3 against England and 1 against NZ/WI/Lanka. Lost 3 against SA and 1 against WI.

Last edited:
The day when calmness started to get associated with Pakistan instead of angry and uncontrolled players with big egos.
His calmness brought the stability in our side after that ill-fated tour of England in 2010 but I think now we can look for someone else as there aren't any controversies. Great job Captain! :misbah

LOL we had a pathtetic tour of zimbabwe. Its not as if we trashed a minnow sonyou excluded those stats. You should include them as well.

LOL we had a pathtetic tour of zimbabwe. Its not as if we trashed a minnow sonyou excluded those stats. You should include them as well.

Let me show you why i excluded them because it only increase his W/L ratio we won 2 Test against Zimbabwe and lost 1 under his captaincy. Keep in mind we won the 1 test we played in Zimbabwe in 2011. Now you got the idea why i excluded it? But if you still want to see here you go added minnows:

ysv4.png

Re: On this Day, October 8th, Misbah-Ul-Haq was appointed Captain

Let me show you why i excluded them because it only increase his W/L ratio we won 2 Test against Zimbabwe and lost 1 under his captaincy. Keep in mind we won the 1 test we played in Zimbabwe in 2011. Now you got the idea why i excluded it? But if you still want to see here you go added minnows:

ysv4.png

:) .. Win/loss ratio is 2.. Will accept this stat!

Edit: i think that stat might be wrong, as hafeez has also captained one game in between..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
Misbah you legend... The best thing that happened to Pakistan Cricket in recent years

How many legendary matches has he won for you..

He saved you from a 3-0 lose in Test series against India in India.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/indvpak/...ch/297808.html
Scored 133* and helped Pakistan to go from 227/4 to 537 in first innings and remained Not Out. India scored 626 in first innings, He created Partnerships with different players to construct the innings.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/indvpak/...ch/297807.html
Scored 161* and helped Pakistan to go from 150/5 to 456 in first innings and remained Not Out. India scored 616 in first innings, Kamran Akmal was the other contributor in that innings.

Both of the above matches resulted in a draw otherwise they were going in favor of india.

He was highest run scorer from Pakistan in that Test series and 2nd highest overall in that series:

95yc.png

Last edited:
Had Afridi lost a test match to Zimbabwe he would be crucified. Just goes to show the extent to which Misbah lovers will go to portray their hero in a good light.

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk 4

Had Afridi lost a test match to Zimbabwe he would be crucified. Just goes to show the extent to which Misbah lovers will go to portray their hero in a good light.

I think you haven't seen my threads and posts where i criticized some of Misbah tactics as captain in ODIs and my threads and posts where i appreciated Afridi whenever he performed.

I am not a blind fan/lover of any player I appreciate everyone and for me player xyz don't matter i support team not individuals and i support everyone who wear that green color no matter even if he is Imran Farhat, Afridi or Mohammad Hafeez. I just believe in one sentence "credit should be given where credit is due"

Last edited:

OK so Pakistan lost the Test to Zimbabwe it was Misbahs fault?? Blame your pathetic batting for it. Misbah again was the lone fighter.

OK so Pakistan lost the Test to Zimbabwe it was Misbahs fault?? Blame your pathetic batting for it. Misbah again was the lone fighter.

Yes the tragic hero. Inzi had a much tougher situation against bang and only 2 wickets to play with but did he play for his avg by tuk tuking and letting everyone else fend for themselves and pass the buck to others? No he took initiative and that is the difference bw a legend and a selfish cowardly player who just plays for his stats and could care less for his team and the other 15 players in it.

The only light at the end other tunnel for Pakistan Cricket is when Misbah doesn't retire but is forcefully kicked out of the team in all formats of the game.

I think you haven't seen my threads and posts where i criticized some of Misbah tactics as captain in ODIs and my threads and posts where i appreciated Afridi whenever he performed.

I am not a blind fan/lover of any player I appreciate everyone and for me player xyz don't matter i support team not individuals and i support everyone who wear that green color no matter even if he is Imran Farhat, Afridi or Mohammad Hafeez. I just believe in one sentence "credit should be given where credit is due"

And I have always given criticism where it is due. The root of all our batting problems is Misbah ul Haq. You should see how our batsmen express themselves naturally without any fear of consequences, getting out or their places in the side when Hafeez leads it compared to Misbah who has a more selfish, habitual passing the buck approach. Certainly not the qualities I ever want in any captain.

Again misbah fans confusing misbah the player and misbah the captain. As a player he deserves to be in the team though his strike rate is an issue. This thread is about misbah the captain and had made some weird team selections and iur team has lost its natural flair.

Again misbah fans confusing misbah the player and misbah the captain. As a player he deserves to be in the team though his strike rate is an issue. This thread is about misbah the captain and had made some weird team selections and iur team has lost its natural flair.

Not sure about others but i supported almost every pakistani player and captain when he is in the XI because thn he is part of the team and representing Pakistan so i don't think supporting means you are a fan/lover of that player.

Than why everyone giving him credit for 3-0 against england. anyway that's the only achievement he has for so called successful captain.

You guys need to calm down. Misbah as a captain has flaws sometimes but as a player he cannot be blamed.
Im afraid some of the fans these days like to make comments without any knowledge of the game.

Afridi was really great as a LOI captain...it's so sad he he resigned and let Misbah overtake who has a bigger ego than the National pride that's why he's treating Umar Akmal badly coz he made to sit him on bench and finally axe off the squad.

As a neutral I feel he is the reason for the team's poor run. I don't buy the bs he brings the stability to the team. How many important matches has he won with his cowardly approach. I use to love watching Pakistan youngsters and now its all buddas playing for you. Thanks to :misbah_old

As a neutral I feel he is the reason for the team's poor run. I don't buy the bs he brings the stability to the team. How many important matches has he won with his cowardly approach. I use to love watching Pakistan youngsters and now its all buddas playing for you. Thanks to :misbah_old

He has made a team known for its natural flamboyant unpredictable but excitable stroke play into consistent stable cowards and losers. Apart from his stats avg the team has gained nothing from his leadership. We have won nothing substantial apart from that England series under his leadership. And these Misbah fans have no qualms in passing the buck to others to defend their beloved.

You guys need to calm down. Misbah as a captain has flaws sometimes but as a player he cannot be blamed.
Im afraid some of the fans these days like to make comments without any knowledge of the game.

Afridi and Umar akmal have flaws to but sometimes as players they cannot be blamed because of the selfish avg boosting at the expense of the team tuk tuk practiced by others and dictated by Lord Misbah. Sometimes fans like to criticize players and make comments without any knowledge of the game.

Afridi and Umar akmal have flaws to but sometimes as players they cannot be blamed because of the selfish avg boosting at the expense of the team tuk tuk practiced by others and dictated by Lord Misbah. Sometimes fans like to criticize players and make comments without any knowledge of the game.

So when hundreds of times , Afridi was required to stay at the crease but instead he decides to get out selfishly or stupidly. What would you call that?

Re: On This Day October 8, 2010: Misbah-Ul-Haq appointed Test Captain

So when hundreds of times , Afridi was required to stay at the crease but instead he decides to get out selfishly or stupidly. What would you call that?

And what about the hundred of times Misbah was required to accelerate but didn't? And instead created more pressure for the team and everyone else.

Afridi plays the way he does without any care for his stats, he cannot bat any other way. His entire career has shown that. Misbah in contrast can hit the big sixes, can rotate the strike but chooses not to and opts to play for average instead.

Afridi atleast has plenty of Mom, MOs awards which Misbah doesn't look like having ever.

Afridi doesn't waste too many balls does he?
When you wastes so many balls and score first 20 off 50 balls then you automatically going to get more responsibility/blame to finish the game on winning line.
doesn't matter even if you have Sehwag/Gilchrist/Gibbs to come because they can't undo the damage Misbah does with his initial start.

Also Afridi is an all rounder..one day his bowling will work other day his batting will come in to play and he's a match winner. Can't say the same about Misbah now can we?

Afridi doesn't waste too many balls does he?
When you wastes so many balls and score first 20 off 50 balls then you automatically going to get more responsibility/blame to finish the game on winning line.
doesn't matter even if you have Sehwag/Gilchrist/Gibbs to come because they can't undo the damage Misbah does with his initial start.

Also Afridi is an all rounder..one day his bowling will work other day his batting will come in to play and he's a match winner. Can't say the same about Misbah now can we?

And most of the time both wont work. :p

Misbah has flaws in his captaincy but TBF he has a good track record especially considering that he took the reigns after the horrible spot fixing scandal with two bowlers gone and an opening batsmen. Credit where its due. He did a fine job at that time and he is not a bad captain. Not a glorious captain but not a bad captain either.

I think looking back at his leadership over the 3 years he's done well, considering the state Pakistan was in.

He's not been the best captain ever or an inspirational leader, but has provided stability at a crucial time.

And i dont buy this he is instilling batting approach unto others.... they are not feeder drinking kids that will just change. If they are playing slow then its due to there own style.

And i dont buy this he is instilling batting approach unto others.... they are not feeder drinking kids that will just change. If they are playing slow then its due to there own style.

+1

I am unable to understand why this Misbah Effect is not working on Umar Akmal? He seems to be more improved under Misbah captaincy, his stats are much better under Misbah captaincy and he average almost 43 while under Shahid Afridi captaincy it's 36.31 and no lose in his Strike Rate it remains same 85

Umar Akmal Under Afridi's Captaincy

6263862458.png

Umar Akmal Under Misbah's Captaincy

8115541098.png

Last edited:
I'd have respected him if it wasn't for his grudge against Umar Akmal.That just shows he has no class.

+1

I am unable to understand why this Misbah Effect is not working on Umar Akmal? He seems to be more improved under Misbah captaincy, his Average is much better under Misbah captaincy almost 43 while under Shahid Afridi captaincy it's 36.31 and no lose in his Strike Rate it remains same 85

6263862458.png

8115541098.png

If Umar Akmal was doing so well under him then why did he bench him for two tours(ind & SA) and kept on playing TTFs?Any logical answers you can think of?

Last edited:
a great leader. but a very poor strategist to be honest. Anyways, this man deserve credit. 2010 was a time when it seemed Pakistan where heading downwards steeply. under him Pakistan achieved that 4 to nothing win over the best team in the world.

+1

I am unable to understand why this Misbah Effect is not working on Umar Akmal? He seems to be more improved under Misbah captaincy, his Average is much better under Misbah captaincy almost 43 while under Shahid Afridi captaincy it's 36.31 and no lose in his Strike Rate it remains same 85

6263862458.png

8115541098.png

Bcz unlike others he is a hero rebel and the evil misbah fearing that he will over power misbah, free the batsmen under his control and lead Pakistan to a glorious age of dominance has kicked him out of the team.

What about shehzad then? His Sr under afridi is also low as well as under misbah...

Has anybody noticed azhar ali played 5 matches under butt with a Sr of 38 and under misbah 22 matches SR of 38.... Maybe it could be that its his style to play slow and thats just how he conducts his innings.

If Umar Akmal was doing so well under him then why did he bench him for two tours(ind & SA) and kept on playing TTFs?Any logical answers you can think of?

do you have any proof of selectors or team management having no role in selecting in unarmed?

I will say sometimes he makes some shocking captaincy decision and yes has mostly defensive approach as a captain but i dont think he is instilling anything on our batsmen.

do you have any proof of selectors or team management having no role in selecting in unarmed?

Absolutely. they have denied any involvement in the final XI...So has the coach recently..so who's left?

I am a pakistan cricket fan and support the team but i am no misbah fan. The stats above show umar akmal is one of the if not the best odi bat we have. Yet misbah as a captain keeps ignoring him. So once again this thread is about misbah the captain and as a captain he keeps supporting ttfs.

Is it proved that he is dropped just because of Misbah? I promise you i will be the first person to open a thread and criticize this decision of Misbah if it's proved that he is the only person behind this decision. Umar Akmal and Jamshed are the 2 batsmen i would love to see playing for Pakistan for at least next 10 years.

Last edited:
Is it proved that he is dropped just because of Misbah? I promise you i will be the first person to open a thread and criticize this decision of Misbah if it's proved that he is the only person behind this decision. Umar Akmal and Jamshed are the 2 batsmen i would love to see playing for Pakistan for at least for next 10 years.

+1

I too would criticize such a decision and agree with you on umer akmal and jamsheed. I blame the selectors if he is not in the A tour not misbah.

Absolutely. they have denied any involvement in the final XI...So has the coach recently..so who's left?

I have no doubt that misbah has to bear the responsibility but if its a case of selectors and coach have nothing to say in selection during a match then it means that Pakistan cricket system is completely flawed. I am sure that misbah isn't the only one.

Why must everything that happens in Pakistan cricket be a conspiracy?
'Misbah is keeping Umar Akmal out of the team.'
'Misbah is the reason why Pakistan never make 250+.'
What's next? Misbah is the one who sunk the Titanic?
Let's be reasonable, people, please stop with these baseless accusations.

Is it proved that he is dropped just because of Misbah? I promise you i will be the first person to open a thread and criticize this decision of Misbah if it's proved that he is the only person behind this decision. Umar Akmal and Jamshed are the 2 batsmen i would love to see playing for Pakistan for at least next 10 years.

Misbah is the captain and the buck stops with the captain. If as alleged he is not getting the squad he wants from the selectors then he can resign no? Ik would have resigned if he didn't get his way, Malik was selected non stop for 3-4 years even though he hadn't scored a single fifty, we see musical chairs being played with the likes of shehzad, Asad Shafiq, we see Umar akmal being dropped from the test team and now from the odi team even though he has the highest odi overage in the squad. We see reserve players not being given an opportunity in dead rubbers do the selectors choose the final eleven on match day or the captain?

Stop defending Misbah for the sake of defending Misbah. The moment he is forced out of the team, the better it will be not only for our team but the careers of all the youngsters in the team and back in domestic cricket.

I think looking back at his leadership over the 3 years he's done well, considering the state Pakistan was in.

He's not been the best captain ever or an inspirational leader, but has provided stability at a crucial time.

I think if anyone it is Afridi who should be given credit for the manner in which he led the odi team after the debacle of 2010. Misbah just happened to be in the right place at the right time, he didn't stabilize jack, I will take instability any day if it means not losing disgracefully to Zimbabwe.

Pretty naive, the man is captain, there is plenty of evidence now of his my way out high way approach ala Umar akmal, Ahmed Shehzad, nasir jamshed, Asad Shafiq etc. You just have to listen to inzamams analysis of Misbahs mohali effort to understand what is so flawed about his batting.

When one man bats for ten overs and scores only 15-20 runs, it puts pressure on the others to up the scoring. This is basic intelligence and maths. Cannot be explained simpler than this.

Ik would have resigned if he didn't get his way

Misbah is no way near IK if we are talking about captaincy he is not even half good as IK.

Malik was selected non stop for 3-4 years even though he hadn't scored a single fifty

We all know how Malik got in the team through those political connections so it's nothing to do with Misbah if there was political pressure, I know you will say misbah should have resigned as captain. But keep in mind he would have thrown out of the team as a player if he had resigned as captain, It took him a decade to come back in team. He was sidelined for years.

Tell me why you think they are trying to give Shan Masood a chance very early after one ok season even though he average hardly 35 in domestic? I hope you are already aware of the reason or just google it to get the idea. I am not saying that he is not talented and hopefully he will perform for pakistan but tell me know how many chances are given to talented guys recently in Pakistan after just 1 ok season with an average of less thn 35 in domestic? Shan average 41 in last season with a high score of 199 and that was his only century in the season.

we see musical chairs being played with the likes of shehzad, Asad Shafiq, we see Umar akmal being dropped from the test team and now from the odi team even though he has the highest odi overage in the squad.

Shehzad is just given the chance after a long time in ODIs although he did score some runs but i still don't think he deserve to be in ODIs based on his current performances. He still need to prove alot to maintain his place in ODIs but thn again he is opener so he can't be replace with Umar.

Umar Akmal was dropped from ODIs against Zimbabwe for the reasons we all know so this question should be asked to those doctors and pcb who delayed the process to clear him. He will play in ODI series against SA they can't drop him he is fully fit and clear now and performed recently in ODIs.

Now about Asad and Umar in Tests. I really want to see Umar back in Tests too but i have seen people asking to drop Asad to get Umar back in Tests but it's really unfair to drop Asad based on last 10 Test innings for Umar.

When Umar Akmal was dropped from Tests he was averaging less thn 25 in his last 20 Test innings and scored only 2 fifty plus scores in those 20 innings. Asad is averaging 35 in last 20 innings with 2 centuries and 4 fifties. So for now it looks like that best available way to include Umar in Tests is by Promoting Azhar as opener so that we can include Umar in the middle.

Stop defending Misbah for the sake of defending Misbah. The moment he is forced out of the team, the better it will be not only for our team but the careers of all the youngsters in the team and back in domestic cricket.

I am not defending anyone here and i have criticized misbah enough times in past for some of his tactics as a captain in ODIs. You can make Kamran Akmal captain and i will support him because i support team Pakistan not team Misbah or team xyz.

Last edited:
What a good decision that turned out to be. Just what was needed after the nightmare that was summer 2010.

That you will find out after misbah retired. Because akmal will be regular member in the team. AKmal been ignored from test team under 3 different coaches. How do you explain that? Only management decisions? If Misbah can push for malik selection, but he couldn't for Akmal? now don't tell me to prove that it wasn't Misbah hand for MAlik selection! Can you explain benching him for 7 games out of 8 odi? If he doesn't have balls to select a player from 14, he should have resigned ASAP.

Than why everyone giving him credit for 3-0 against england. anyway that's the only achievement he has for so called successful captain.

Still 3-0 is the only achievement so called most successful captain of pakistan has.

Worst day for Pakistan Cricket. He is fine as a player but the worst captain for Pakistan. Tactically poor, defensive mindset and poor selector.

Still feel the same?

+1

I am unable to understand why this Misbah Effect is not working on Umar Akmal? He seems to be more improved under Misbah captaincy, his stats are much better under Misbah captaincy and he average almost 43 while under Shahid Afridi captaincy it's 36.31 and no lose in his Strike Rate it remains same 85

6263862458.png

8115541098.png

C'mon man, you're really reaching now.. 2009 Umar Akmal had just made his debut and was 19.. of course since then he played more games and progressed as a player.. you would expect a 19 year old to improve, wouldn't you?

C'mon man, you're really reaching now.. 2009 Umar Akmal had just made his debut and was 19.. of course since then he played more games and progressed as a player.. you would expect a 19 year old to improve, wouldn't you?

But Misbah I thought hampers progress..

Then how can Umar Akmal improve?

His calm attitude was what we needed after all the spot fixing fiasco.

He steadied the ship, but he isn't the right person to lead a team that is stable in terms of not having controversies and lobbying in the team.

That reflects his batting as well. He is the ideal batsman when there's a collapse but harmful to the team when they are cruising.

Woops. Led them to the #1 spot :misbah

Still feel the same?

I'm sure [MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] does

Two of the best things Ijaz Butt ever did:

1) Resigning
2) Appointing Misbah as captain.

People have divided opinions on his approach to his batting. But no one can question his conduct as a player and a captain, the way he worked hard to build a team after the spot fixing scandal.

Chance of his legacy as Test captain being destroyed by his performance as Head Coach/Chief Selector

By losing one T20 series ? Even exaggeration has limits.

I mean if we can lose to Sri-Lanka’s C team in a format we dominate in. Whats the point of hoping to beat a stronger team? Do you not understand how humiliating this is?

October is definitely the worst month in Pakistan cricket.

October 8th 2010 - Misbah made captain
October 18th 2019 - Babar made captain

It is a month of darkness and darkness.

October is definitely the worst month in Pakistan cricket.

October 8th 2010 - Misbah made captain
October 18th 2019 - Babar made captain

It is a month of darkness and darkness.
there are 10 more misbah threads that need to be bumped, lets go, do it.

its the least you can do to hide ur shame of not knowing immy made babar captain

there are 10 more misbah threads that need to be bumped, lets go, do it.

its the least you can do to hide ur shame of not knowing immy made babar captain
I’ve already proven that Misbah made Babar captain. He was the Chief Selector & Head Coach in September 2019. He is caught on tape admitting he made Babar captain after discussing with the then-CEO Wasim Khan. You choose to ignore the empirical undeniable video evidence straight from the source. Misbah was an active cricketer and controller of cricket affairs in the year of 2019.

I’ve already proven that Misbah made Babar captain. He was the Chief Selector & Head Coach in September 2019. He is caught on tape admitting he made Babar captain after discussing with the then-CEO Wasim Khan. You choose to ignore the empirical undeniable video evidence straight from the source. Misbah was an active cricketer and controller of cricket affairs in the year of 2019.
admited? lol you ran away from the thread. imran on camera said it he made him

Do you think Imran lied?

Chance of his legacy as Test captain being destroyed by his performance as Head Coach/Chief Selector
I think this post came true. He was an awful coach/selector and then stabbed Mickey in the back. This has for sure damaged his overall legacy.

Back