On This Day: Sep 28, 2012 - Umars (Gul and Akmal) pull off sensational victory against South Africa

Gotham Cronie

Test Debutant
Runs
One year ago on this date, September 28, 2012 to be exact, Pakistan kicked off the Super Eight stage of the World Twenty20 in thrilling fashion.

Result: Pakistan win by 2 wickets with 2 balls remaining​

Toss: South Africa win toss and decided to bat

Teams:

Pakistan:
Mohammad Hafeez, Imran Nazir, Nasir Jamshed, Kamran Akmal, Shoaib Malik, Umar Akmal, Shahid Afridi, Yasir Arafat, Raza Hasan, Umar Gul, Saeed Ajmal

South Africa:
RE Levi, HM Amla, JH Kallis, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, F Behardien, JA Morkel, J Botha, RJ Peterson, DW Steyn, M Morkel​

South African Innings

De Villiers mentioned at the toss that he wanted to get a good score and put pressure on Pakistan frail batting and Pakistan picked Raza Hasan in place of Tanvir - Pakistan's gamble could have gone awry but it did not. Amla and Levi walked in and Pakistan started the first over with Raza Hasan who seemed to keep things in check but Kamran Akmal dropped Amla on the last ball of that over - how much would Amla make Pakistan pay for this?

The answer was not much - Amla fell to Arafat in the next over when he drove to a slower delivery.

In the meanwhile Raza was bowling like a man possessed - bowling a maiden over and putting extra pressure on South African batting. Ajmal was brought in early and he obliged with a wicket of Levi who seemed to forget that playing a reverse sweep to the World No 1 spinner is not that easy!

Hafeez then decided to bring himself on - and Kallis lobbed the ball to Shahid Afridi in the covers - South Africas batting line up was unravelling fast. Duminy and the new Farhan were tasked with stopping the rot but now they were up against a Pakistani spin attack with their tails up.

Duminy and Farhan then constructed a recovery of sorts - nudging ones and 2s to try and get themselves within striking distance of a 130-150 type score. Pakistan though in command had to break this partnership before it took on a menacing proportion. The partnership worth 38 runs was finally broken by El Professori - aka Hafeez and South Africa were back in jail as Farhad was stumped by a hitherto hapless Kamran Akmal.

Captain De Villiers joined Duminy for what could be South Africas last real chance of putting a defendable total. With Ajmal and Afrid bowling well, South Africa knew they had to take some chances to make a match of it but the runs were only coming in 1s and 2s - did they have a score in mind?

With both batsmen looking untroubled until the 17th over (38 run pship so far), Hafeez brought in Umar Gul to use the older ball to stop South Africa getting runs towards the end of the innings. The first ball he bowled was deposited over mid wicket by De Villiers for six. The next ball was a full toss and Devilliers couldnt help hitting it - hit it he did but straight to Imran Nazir. Bonus wicket for Pakistan had arrived at a crucial time.

Morkel is no mug with the bat and with Duminy with him at the ability to get South Africa past the 130 mark but Hafeez brought in Arafat in the 19th over.It was Duminy who with a towering six got the final push to a start. Pakistan had their work cutout and Arafat did not disappoint as he got Duminy caught behind for 48.

With the early wickets causing much damage, South Africa set their stand for a sub 140 type score and started the final over placed at 124 - Hafeez bringing in Gul to close the proceedings where he gave 9 runs with South Africa ending up at 133 runs.

The target thus was 134 and it was down to Pakistani batsmen to show if they could counter the South African pace men.

Pakistani bowling was efficient as usual today but Guls inability to bowl those yorkers is a worry but Raza Hasan's form is something to relish as a Pakistani supporter

Fall of Wickets

1-8 (Amla, 1.5 ov)
2-28 (Levi, 5.2 ov)
3-28 (Kallis, 6.1 ov)
4-66 (Behardien, 12.3 ov)
5-110 (De Villiers, 17.2 ov)
6-123 (Duminy, 18.4 ov)

Pakistan Innings

The match was for Pakistan to lose was the common sentiment as the Pakistan innings got underway. The score may have been a low on to chase but it needed to be attained and the South Africans weren't going to hand it on a platter.

Hafeez and Nazir walked in to open against Dale Steyn and immediately had 2 fours to his name - Pakistan were on their way.

In the following over, Imran Nazir, following his captain's lead - dispatched consecutive boundaries of Morne Morket to put South Africa in a spot of bother. However, Pakistan lost their first wicket when Imran Nazir perished, trying to hook Steyn, the ball deflected of his glove and ballooned into the air, to be snapped up by De Villiers.

Hafeez was trying to put South Africa on the back-foot early on, his intentions were clear when smacked Peterson for a six to start the fourth over, unfortunately for Pakistan, South Africa struck the very next ball when Hafeez was stumped by De Villiers, two balls later, Nasir Jamshed met the same fate and Pakistan were shoveled into alot of pressure.

Pakistan, known to be nervy chasers, found themselves in another hole when Johan Botha bowled Kamran Akmal in the seventh over, at 37/4 - Pakistan were already looking at a 'miraculous comeback' to have a chance at winning the game.

Umar Akmal was the next man in for Pakistan and quickly hit a couple of boundaries to release some pressure off Pak batting line-up. But just when it looked like Pakistan were gonna build a nice partnership, Shoaib Malik gave an easy catch to the third man off Jaques Kallis' bowling.

Pakistani fans had huge hopes from Shahid Afridi but he disappointed them all by getting out on duck on his very first delivery to JP Duminy. Pakistan 63/6 at this point. Duminy then took a splendid catch to get Yasir Arafat out. Umar Gul came in next and brought Pakistan back in the match with a couple of sixes off Kallis. He continued attacking in the next over as well and hit a four and a six off Albie Morkel. Pakistan fetched 20 runs off his over and were very much back in the game at that point.

Gul picked another boundary in Morkel's next over and at the end of it Pakistan only needed 15 runs of 12 deliveries.

Gul departed off Steyn's final delivery, but Umar Akmal smashed the second ball of the final over for 6 and Ajmal edged the Morkel for 4 as Pakistan pulled off a fantastic victory.

Fall of Wickets

1-24 (Imran Nazir, 2.6 ov)
2-30 (Mohammad Hafeez, 3.2 ov)
3-31 (Nasir Jamshed, 3.6 ov)
4-37 (Kamran Akmal, 6.2 ov)
5-63 (Shoaib Malik, 11.5 ov)
6-63 (Shahid Afridi, 12.1 ov)
7-76 (Yasir Arafat, 14.3 ov)
8-125 (Umar Gul, 18.6 ov)

On This Day September 28, 2012: Umars Gul and Akmal pull off sensational victory

I don´t think I will ever forget that match! Some unbelievable hitting by Umar Gul to the leg/on-side and his pick up shots are such a joy to watch.

South Africa of course did their job neatly:kallis.

Can't believe its been a year.

Another of those crucial ICC event games where Amla failed and de Villiers hid behind the top order, with Morkel losing the script in a pressure situation :raja

Vintage South Africa indeed :waqar

Ya snatched the victory from the Saffers was in my class when the miracle happened :gully you beauty!

Wow this match feels like it was only a couple of months ago.

Any way does anybody have highlights of this match. There were highlights of this match on youtube a couple of months ago and now its not there anymore.

Doesn't seem that long ago.
There I was, bored out of my mind in History class, with my mom texting me the score.
I was sure that they lost, boy was I surprised when she told me they won...
I watch these highlights frequently, gets more intense everytime.

I remember this game vividly but I remember it because I couldnt really keep up with what was going on.

Basically went into Juma with Pakistan on the ropes and came out to people hugging each other as Pakistan won. Great feeling.

Back