On This Day: September 20, 1982 - Jalal-ud-din takes the first hat-trick in ODI history

Gotham Cronie

Test Debutant
Runs
31 years ago on this date, Pakistan's Jalal-ud-Din took the first ever hat-trick in ODI history.

As Australia began their tour of Pakistan, the two teams kicked off the series with the 1st ODI in Hyderabad.

Zaheer Abbas was the stand-in captain for Imran Khan, who was being rested after a successful tour of England. In his place came right-arm pacer Jalal-ud-Din, who was playing the 2nd ODI match of his career.

After being asked to bat first by Australia, Pakistan put on a total of 229/6 in their allotted 40 overs. The only notable score being opener Mohsin Khan's 104.

In reply, Australia made their way to 104/0 after 23 overs. Right-arm offbreak bowler Tauseef Ahmed had a triple strike then which set Australia back to 109/3.

Australia recovered to 157/3 before Jalal-ud-Din had Allan Border caught behind by wicket-keeper Wasim Bari. Jalal-ud-Din wasn't done, however. He returned for his seventh over and with the final three balls, took the wickets of Rod Marsh, Bruce Yardley and Geoff Lawson. It was the first hat-trick in ODI history.

Australia collapsed from 157/3 to 170/9. Pakistan won by 59 runs.

Scorecard:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64193.html

Last edited:
Amazing - he mentioned that to us in his interview as well

On This Day September 20, 1982: Jalal-ud-din takes the first hat-trick in ODI history

One memorable moment!

This is what he had to say about this to PakPassion

PakPassion.net: Whenever your name comes up, the first hattrick in ODI cricket history instantly comes to mind. How did it feel like when you got that hattrick?

Jalaluddin: When you take two wickets on two balls, then as a bowler you obviously try to complete the hattrick. A hattrick is something that you are not guaranteed to get no matter how hard you try. We were playing against Australia at Hyderabad, Sindh. I had dismissed Rodney Marsh and Bruce Yardley on two successive deliveries. Then I tried to get a hattrick and was successful in the end. You are obviously excited when you achieve something like that and your team mates also appreciate you and congratulate you. So it was a great feeling. At that time, we were unaware of the fact that it was the first hattrick in the history of ODI cricket. We got to know of it the next day when people checked the records and it doubled my excitement. So, it was a great feeling as we also won the match and I was receiving appreciation from all.

Should have done better with his career but seemed to fade away as a bowler.

Unfortunately the stadium where he took the hat trick is now in tatters.
Shambolic from the Sindh Govt and the PCB.

Back