Oversized Clefts

momin97

Tape Ball Regular
Runs
salamz to all,

lately i been hearing alot about oversized clefts i just want to know what they really are and are they any good?

thx

Walakiumasalam,

They are basically clefts which are big for there weight.

They are good in a sense because you get more wood and mass for a lower weight.

They are good in a sense because you get more wood and mass for a lower weight.

CD, you do not get more mass for weight. Mass and weight are the same things in this context. weight is just force of gravity applied on mass. You get more volume for the same mass. So it is debatable whether it has any affect at all.

The only thing which it might allow is more volume of wood to create certain profiles but the mass is the same.

That's what I meant, I miswrote it :)

JazakAllah Khair for correcting it, also great to see you back posting :)

the M&H amplus - makers say that they are made from oversized clefts. others not so sure.

No. An oversized cleft is just a bigger cleft, it's not necessarily lighter or low density.

No. An oversized cleft is just a bigger cleft, it's not necessarily lighter or low density.

Aren't oversized and low density clefts same thing? I mean low density clefts will be big for its weight too, no ?

Correct me if I'm wrong..

i think what 02thoeva said is that oversized just means big. nothing to do with weight. so all low density clefts (assuming they are big) can be oversized but not all oversized clefts will be low density.

Aren't oversized and low density clefts same thing? I mean low density clefts will be big for its weight too, no ?

Correct me if I'm wrong..
You're wrong. An oversized cleft is just cut bigger by the willow merchant, nothing to do with weight.

A standard cleft has about 40mm edges, an oversized is about 60mm. I'm away at the moment otherwise I'd have measured exactly.

You're wrong. An oversized cleft is just cut bigger by the willow merchant, nothing to do with weight.

A standard cleft has about 40mm edges, an oversized is about 60mm. I'm away at the moment otherwise I'd have measured exactly.

How come whenever you see oversize clefts they are described as being rare? If it is just about the size of cut surely they can be ordered in any quantity?

obviously the wood will be pressed. but still don't get your earlier question. what did you want to know?

Marketing.

Ahh so its not that rare then ?

02thoeva said:

Would the weight for both clefts (40 mm edges one and 60 mm) going to be same then ?

Lastly when finished how big are edges of 40 mm ones and 60 mm ones?

Cheers

Ahh so its not that rare then ?

Would the weight for both clefts (40 mm edges one and 60 mm) going to be same then ?

Lastly when finished how big are edges of 40 mm ones and 60 mm ones?

Cheers
No, not rare. Just got to order them.

The raw cleft weights always vary.

Depends on the weight of the finished bat.

The Amplus is very close to a top grade Newbery GT.

Back