"Pakistan are always dark horses when it comes to World Cups": Matthew Hayden

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Matthew Hayden in his preview of Pakistan's squad ahead of the T20 World Cup:

Looking at the Pakistan squad, as per usual, Pakistan are always dark horses when it comes to World Cups.

In particular, their fast-bowling stocks are amazing with Shaheen Shah Afridi, Naseem Shah, who wasn't available for selection in the last World cup. That's a big comeback.

And of course, you've got Mohammad Amir as well, and Haris Rauf.

So, you've got four major prongs in their pace attack.

You've got Shadab Khan through the middle, you know, for spinning and also a power hitter.

And then up top, you've got your big three, you've got the captain, obviously, Babar Azam.

Glad to see him back at the helm.

He's the natural leader and should be there.

And you've got Mohammed Rizwan as well that more than likely will partner with him.

And Fakhar Zaman, who is a dangerous left-hand striker of the ball.

So, all in all, generally speaking, their biggest chink (in the armor) is always going to be their fielding.

Their defensive effort in the field has and hopefully in this case, it won't diminish their performances.

But they are a solid team, a dangerous team and certainly a team to watch out for in this T20 World Cup across America and Barbados.

Tbf this is true to some extent as no one expected 2022 final or 2017 ct win.

But I'm sick and tired of being the dark horse. When will Pakistan become world class? This whole Pakistan is a 3rd world country etc etc, like we're the 4th richest board? 3rd world country and lack of development in areas like balochistan shouldn't prevent lahori, karachi and other developed city players from developing.

55M is alot, you can do so much, and to start off how about fix the pitches, and stop curating them for inflated statistics. Lack of IPL shouldn't be a big deal, those flat 180 in 10 over pitches aren't preparation just entertainment. It's bcci domestic such as ranji trophy that develops players.

This notion excuses accountability. And fans will have a massive party over being 2nd best or getting to a point which was least expected.

Make no mistake, no difference between a group exit or a KO loss when you’ve fumbled so many trophies.

Both Babar and Ris need to be severely punished when Pakistan fail yet again, Riswan especially needs to be banished from the T20 side for good.

Pakistan are good tournament team (or seem to have that sort of luck)
Given the fact there are only 5 or 6 teams. You just need 2 teams not to show up in the tournament. But ofcourse c onditions matter. Sometimes even usual chokers will perform well on helpful tracks.

Given the fact there are only 5 or 6 teams. You just need 2 teams not to show up in the tournament. But ofcourse c onditions matter. Sometimes even usual chokers will perform well on helpful tracks.
Good point. That’s why cricket needs to grow and more teams should be added. Associate teams need to play more against the higher ranked teams.

Tbf this is true to some extent as no one expected 2022 final or 2017 ct win.

But I'm sick and tired of being the dark horse. When will Pakistan become world class? This whole Pakistan is a 3rd world country etc etc, like we're the 4th richest board? 3rd world country and lack of development in areas like balochistan shouldn't prevent lahori, karachi and other developed city players from developing.

55M is alot, you can do so much, and to start off how about fix the pitches, and stop curating them for inflated statistics. Lack of IPL shouldn't be a big deal, those flat 180 in 10 over pitches aren't preparation just entertainment. It's bcci domestic such as ranji trophy that develops players.
As your an Australian fan you should know that they are the benchmark to follow in terms of domestic and player development.

Their professionalism filters through all levels which is why they are the most successful team in history by far.

India is a hype job that has never been a benchmark.

where s the trophies to justify the hype?

Basic fans will always fall for hype.

Real supporters look the facts.

How can you expect competency from a cricket board that has political interference with chairman s etc.

As your an Australian fan you should know that they are the benchmark to follow in terms of domestic and player development.

Their professionalism filters through all levels which is why they are the most successful team in history by far.

India is a hype job that has never been a benchmark.

where s the trophies to justify the hype?

Basic fans will always fall for hype.

Real supporters look the facts.

How can you expect competency from a cricket board that has political interference with chairman s etc.
India isn't a bad team, their a world class team but the problem with India is that

A) the IPL doesn't help, it's a money making machine, not a genuine practise for youngsters to gain experience.

B) India although to a lesser extent then Pakistan will choose experience over form. For example Sanju Sampson made a valid claim that he should be in the squad in wc 2023 because Rahul was out of it. But because Rahul was the more experienced guy they gave him a respite at no 5, and while he did good, he eventually got exposed in the final because Rahul has always been a mental midget.

It's their ego policies that come to bite them in the world cup.

It also bit them in 2012 where they made a cancer yuvi play against Pakistan and an end of the line sehwag play Pakistan.

Pakistan is a different case, its a dosti yaari club which creates conflict of interest. Any board including bcci would have dropped Shadab a year ago ASAP. Unlike rohit, Kohli and Rahul who have performances, shadab has zero, he's a dude who's played nearly 100 t20's internationally and has only 1 50 despite batting at 4/5/6. Although yes, captains and seniors have a bit too much power. Like on what basis did kohli have the power to say no to sanju Sampson in world cup?

Kohli isn't a selector? Nor is he a captain? Why does he have the power to decide if sanju plays or not? Sanju was a much better option then sky when pandya got injured.

Don't think this terminology will work with this current team & the way Pakistan cricket is going, minnows territory is becoming the new home for this cricket board & team.

India isn't a bad team, their a world class team but the problem with India is that

A) the IPL doesn't help, it's a money making machine, not a genuine practise for youngsters to gain experience.

B) India although to a lesser extent then Pakistan will choose experience over form. For example Sanju Sampson made a valid claim that he should be in the squad in wc 2023 because Rahul was out of it. But because Rahul was the more experienced guy they gave him a respite at no 5, and while he did good, he eventually got exposed in the final because Rahul has always been a mental midget.

It's their ego policies that come to bite them in the world cup.

It also bit them in 2012 where they made a cancer yuvi play against Pakistan and an end of the line sehwag play Pakistan.

Pakistan is a different case, its a dosti yaari club which creates conflict of interest. Any board including bcci would have dropped Shadab a year ago ASAP. Unlike rohit, Kohli and Rahul who have performances, shadab has zero, he's a dude who's played nearly 100 t20's internationally and has only 1 50 despite batting at 4/5/6. Although yes, captains and seniors have a bit too much power. Like on what basis did kohli have the power to say no to sanju Sampson in world cup?

Kohli isn't a selector? Nor is he a captain? Why does he have the power to decide if sanju plays or not? Sanju was a much better option then sky when pandya got injured.
I'm not saying they are a bad team but the amount of hype on this forum about them is a joke and laughable.

The benchmark is always the best team with the most professionalism, performance and trophies and that is the Aussies hands down.

Every team has ego s but its how you use it to your advantage.

I don't watch or follow ipl or indian domestic so I will take your word for it.

With shadab as i have said countless times if he s out of form than Salman Ali should be in as he is a 3 dimensional player that offers that toughness in the middle order.

Overall the mindset in the team is what is costing us along with playing with the handbrake on.

That is the challenge for Kirsten and his legacy with the Green shirts.

Can he change that.

By nature Pakistani s are aggressive but its about unlocking that with smartness and situational understanding, squad selection and a professional independent PCB. etc.

I'm not saying they are a bad team but the amount of hype on this forum about them is a joke and laughable.

The benchmark is always the best team with the most professionalism, performance and trophies and that is the Aussies hands down.

Every team has ego s but its how you use it to your advantage.

I don't watch or follow ipl or indian domestic so I will take your word for it.

With shadab as i have said countless times if he s out of form than Salman Ali should be in as he is a 3 dimensional player that offers that toughness in the middle order.

Overall the mindset in the team is what is costing us along with playing with the handbrake on.

That is the challenge for Kirsten and his legacy with the Green shirts.

Can he change that.

By nature Pakistani s are aggressive but its about unlocking that with smartness and situational understanding, squad selection and a professional independent PCB. etc.
I'm fully aware what the hype is on this forumn, it's why I told everyone when Australia reached the final that they were in for a very very very rude awakening.

Brother their are a list of extremly talented player who aren't getting represented because somehow nawaz, chacha, Shadab, azam and these clowns keep making it.

1) Mehran mumtaz
2) Kamran ghulam
3) Omair bin Yousaf
4) Abdullah shafiq
5) Saud Shakeel
6) Tayyab tahir (100x better then chacha, shadab, usman khan etc)
7) Muhammad haris (Can you imagine pcb has hasebullah over him?)
8) Shabzada Farhan (Avg but still)
9) Sharjeel Khan (Good form in president cup)
10) Zafar gohar (Gun spinner, 100x superior to Usama Mir)
11) Usman Tariq (Decent spinner, still better then Usama)
12) Ihsanullah (Just imagine his career being over due to pcb being morons and misdiagnosing him)
13) Salman Ali Agha (proper allrounder with first class experience, 100x better then shadab ever will be as a batter and bowler, although sheddy is a better fielder then agha)

Their a few more that I wouldn't recommend cause they suck but theirs also haider ali, Hussain talat etc etc but again their terrible so not recommended.

Another interesting thing to note, saim ayub has only performed when he's batting with fakhar reaching 40 scores 2x. But has always failed batting with babar and rizzu? (NOT GONNA read too into it)

Theirs multiple multiple more in domestic atm. Pcb isn't organising more emerging cups where players got experience playing against future ipl superstars and a full strength Afghanistan team.

And even when they do organise, how many from the acc emerging cup are in the squad atm? Literally no one besides saim ayub? I repeat not a single member of that 15 squad got selected to play for Pakistan?

I'm fully aware what the hype is on this forumn, it's why I told everyone when Australia reached the final that they were in for a very very very rude awakening.

Brother their are a list of extremly talented player who aren't getting represented because somehow nawaz, chacha, Shadab, azam and these clowns keep making it.

1) Mehran mumtaz
2) Kamran ghulam
3) Omair bin Yousaf
4) Abdullah shafiq
5) Saud Shakeel
6) Tayyab tahir (100x better then chacha, shadab, usman khan etc)
7) Muhammad haris (Can you imagine pcb has hasebullah over him?)
8) Shabzada Farhan (Avg but still)
9) Sharjeel Khan (Good form in president cup)
10) Zafar gohar (Gun spinner, 100x superior to Usama Mir)
11) Usman Tariq (Decent spinner, still better then Usama)
12) Ihsanullah (Just imagine his career being over due to pcb being morons and misdiagnosing him)
13) Salman Ali Agha (proper allrounder with first class experience, 100x better then shadab ever will be as a batter and bowler, although sheddy is a better fielder then agha)

Their a few more that I wouldn't recommend cause they suck but theirs also haider ali, Hussain talat etc etc but again their terrible so not recommended.

Another interesting thing to note, saim ayub has only performed when he's batting with fakhar reaching 40 scores 2x. But has always failed batting with babar and rizzu? (NOT GONNA read too into it)

Theirs multiple multiple more in domestic atm. Pcb isn't organising more emerging cups where players got experience playing against future ipl superstars and a full strength Afghanistan team.

And even when they do organise, how many from the acc emerging cup are in the squad atm? Literally no one besides saim ayub? I repeat not a single member of that 15 squad got selected to play for Pakistan?
Sharjeel, Salman Ali, Ihsanullah, Omair, Zafar Gohar, Usman Tariq are 3 format players,

Saud, ABD are more suited for Test and ODI s

Ifti gets the nod over Tayyab because of his bowling rightly or wrongly but that is a fact.

I would take Huraira and Usama Baloch over Kamran Ghulam and Farhan who are limited players.

Muhammad Haris is the Pakistani butler but he needs to understand his game to take it to the next level.

I rate Hussain Talat highly I feel he could be a very good Test and ODI player.

Again bro it all comes down to having a professional independent cricket board with zero interference and selecting players without fear or favour.

How can you expect those miracles to occur when an elected government with a mandate voted for by the people are locked in jail while the criminals are roaming free.

Without Justice and Rule of Law you have nothing.

Sharjeel, Salman Ali, Ihsanullah, Omair, Zafar Gohar, Usman Tariq are 3 format players,

Saud, ABD are more suited for Test and ODI s

Ifti gets the nod over Tayyab because of his bowling rightly or wrongly but that is a fact.

I would take Huraira and Usama Baloch over Kamran Ghulam and Farhan who are limited players.

Muhammad Haris is the Pakistani butler but he needs to understand his game to take it to the next level.

I rate Hussain Talat highly I feel he could be a very good Test and ODI player.

Again bro it all comes down to having a professional independent cricket board with zero interference and selecting players without fear or favour.

How can you expect those miracles to occur when an elected government with a mandate voted for by the people are locked in jail while the criminals are roaming free.

Without Justice and Rule of Law you have nothing.
Bro my whole point is, A team like Nepal is a team I support(Excluding lamichane) because even though they will never win, they olay fir the crest on their chest.

They select their best players, play for their country and even do their homework, Against Pakistan they bowled away from fakhar knowing full well fakhar struggles with deliveries that angle away, they had 2 fielder in the inner ring for run outs and you can tell they practised as they got both rizzu and Imam run out because both like to play straight to the inner circle and take a sneaky single.

Point is, they try to represent their country.

Pakistan does not and Pakistan have not selected their best team, not even close. The idea of shadab being the best allrounder in the country is laughable. The idea of chacha being a finisher let alone an allrounder is laughable. The idea of someone like azam being pakistan's frontline keeper is laughable

Bro my whole point is, A team like Nepal is a team I support(Excluding lamichane) because even though they will never win, they olay fir the crest on their chest.

They select their best players, play for their country and even do their homework, Against Pakistan they bowled away from fakhar knowing full well fakhar struggles with deliveries that angle away, they had 2 fielder in the inner ring for run outs and you can tell they practised as they got both rizzu and Imam run out because both like to play straight to the inner circle and take a sneaky single.

Point is, they try to represent their country.

Pakistan does not and Pakistan have not selected their best team, not even close. The idea of shadab being the best allrounder in the country is laughable. The idea of chacha being a finisher let alone an allrounder is laughable. The idea of someone like azam being pakistan's frontline keeper is laughable
With all due respect a team like Nepal wont have a talent pool that can afford to pick a team other than their best players to try to compete let alone win.

You cannot compare Nepal with Pakistan.

Which is why my previous post is valid with regards to professionalism, An independent PCB etc .

How many teams do you support by the way. :ROFLMAO:

With all due respect a team like Nepal wont have a talent pool that can afford to pick a team other than their best players to try to compete let alone win.

You cannot compare Nepal with Pakistan.

Which is why my previous post is valid with regards to professionalism, An independent PCB etc .

How many teams do you support by the way. :ROFLMAO:
The teams that I support in terms of rankings are

1) Australia: Obviously and always my main pick.

2) England: This is my no 2, mainly because they were in a similar rut to Pakistan, people viewed them as the most talentless nation, a crap team, with crap performances that will never win a cup and has always been an Australia bunny, and then Eoin Morgan happened.

What happened to England from 2015 all the way to 2019 is nothing short of a miracle. Amazing transformation and brilliant leadership. So their my no 2, However in 2023 stokes, root etc butler should have realised taking players who hadn't played for 4 years and players coming back from injury would be suicide, he seems to have learnt that lesson now though.

3) NZ: Their my 3rd because I enjoy Williamson captaincy and his vision for the squad, the dude knows how to build a team despite NZ having limited resources with only 9M under their belt. He's probs the greatest captain to never win a cup.

4) Afghanistan: These lads have some serious Balls, you gotta give it to them on never backing down and being purely aggressive

5) Any associate team that gives it their best. Uganda, Nepal, they try and it's commendable, most teams like Oman just fall flat and don't really care and are here for paychecks.

Here are the teams that I do not support.

1) SA: I respect certain SA players, however the board needs to move on from this black + White representation.

Theirs nothing racist about having an all black team or an all white team. White players in SA are currently 100X superior then black players, Once a viv Richards, Chris gayle comes along then add them in, but otherwise please get rid of this quota. Black or white it doesn't matter, anyone who loves in sa should select the best team and be proud of their country.

2) India: no disrespect to my Indian brothers, but I'm not a fan of how seniors have way too much power. Like sanju Sampson didn't make it into the wc 2023 squad and even sky a failure in odi was picked ahead. He wasn't even taken as a reserve backup keeper? Incase Rahul got injured? Why was kishan selected that too in the main squad?

All because kohli said sanju will get a chance after the cup and he doesn't want him for the wc? Like bro kohli ain't a selector? Or a captain? Based of what is he running his mouth and making decisions? Even rohit has a bit too much power and should have retired in 2023 wc after the final. He's blocking youngsters at the age of 37 soon 38 now.

3) Bangladesh: Is their even a point supporting them? They don't even support themselves.

4) Sri Lanka: Sad to see how badly they regressed, especially from a nation that has produced sangakara, Jaysuria, Malinga, Murli etc etc. So it's not like talent isn't their in this country, infact Sanga is hands down greater then any pakistani batter even besides maybe saeed anwar as saeed played in a horrificly difficult era.

5) West Indies: Their a fun lot, but they don't got their heads on straight half the time 😂😂. I don't support them, but I have fun when their around, good and happy and cheery team.

6) Minnow nations that don't play for the crest on their chest and have given up: Zimbabwe, Usa( USA is just part time workers chilling lol), Oman (Again just part timers chilling)

7) Pakistan: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHABHAHAHAHAHABA. Probs the biggest clown board I have ever seen in my life.

It's sad to see because none of this ever occurred pre 2010 and nothing major mappened In 2017-2019 either, Sarfi, Imad, Hafeez, Malik keep their mouths shut. It's these rizzu, Babar munafiqs along with misbah, Ramiz raja etc that make comedy gold and rain happen.

The teams that I support in terms of rankings are

1) Australia: Obviously and always my main pick.

2) England: This is my no 2, mainly because they were in a similar rut to Pakistan, people viewed them as the most talentless nation, a crap team, with crap performances that will never win a cup and has always been an Australia bunny, and then Eoin Morgan happened.

What happened to England from 2015 all the way to 2019 is nothing short of a miracle. Amazing transformation and brilliant leadership. So their my no 2, However in 2023 stokes, root etc butler should have realised taking players who hadn't played for 4 years and players coming back from injury would be suicide, he seems to have learnt that lesson now though.

3) NZ: Their my 3rd because I enjoy Williamson captaincy and his vision for the squad, the dude knows how to build a team despite NZ having limited resources with only 9M under their belt. He's probs the greatest captain to never win a cup.

4) Afghanistan: These lads have some serious Balls, you gotta give it to them on never backing down and being purely aggressive

5) Any associate team that gives it their best. Uganda, Nepal, they try and it's commendable, most teams like Oman just fall flat and don't really care and are here for paychecks.

Here are the teams that I do not support.

1) SA: I respect certain SA players, however the board needs to move on from this black + White representation.

Theirs nothing racist about having an all black team or an all white team. White players in SA are currently 100X superior then black players, Once a viv Richards, Chris gayle comes along then add them in, but otherwise please get rid of this quota. Black or white it doesn't matter, anyone who loves in sa should select the best team and be proud of their country.

2) India: no disrespect to my Indian brothers, but I'm not a fan of how seniors have way too much power. Like sanju Sampson didn't make it into the wc 2023 squad and even sky a failure in odi was picked ahead. He wasn't even taken as a reserve backup keeper? Incase Rahul got injured? Why was kishan selected that too in the main squad?

All because kohli said sanju will get a chance after the cup and he doesn't want him for the wc? Like bro kohli ain't a selector? Or a captain? Based of what is he running his mouth and making decisions? Even rohit has a bit too much power and should have retired in 2023 wc after the final. He's blocking youngsters at the age of 37 soon 38 now.

3) Bangladesh: Is their even a point supporting them? They don't even support themselves.

4) Sri Lanka: Sad to see how badly they regressed, especially from a nation that has produced sangakara, Jaysuria, Malinga, Murli etc etc. So it's not like talent isn't their in this country, infact Sanga is hands down greater then any pakistani batter even besides maybe saeed anwar as saeed played in a horrificly difficult era.

5) West Indies: Their a fun lot, but they don't got their heads on straight half the time 😂😂. I don't support them, but I have fun when their around, good and happy and cheery team.

6) Minnow nations that don't play for the crest on their chest and have given up: Zimbabwe, Usa( USA is just part time workers chilling lol), Oman (Again just part timers chilling)

7) Pakistan: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHABHAHAHAHAHABA. Probs the biggest clown board I have ever seen in my life.

It's sad to see because none of this ever occurred pre 2010 and nothing major mappened In 2017-2019 either, Sarfi, Imad, Hafeez, Malik keep their mouths shut. It's these rizzu, Babar munafiqs along with misbah, Ramiz raja etc that make comedy gold and rain happen.
With that many options you cant loose :ROFLMAO: .

With that many options you cant loose :ROFLMAO: .
I can, if India, South Africa, Pakistan or any of the team I don't support win.

But Australia is my favourite. As much as I like England, their bazzball approach is a one trick pony approach. Australia is smarter and generally better.

Back