Pakistan can still win this ICC World Cup 2023 - They don't have to be the best team

Bilal Ahmad15

Local Club Regular
Runs
Post of the Week
After their defeat against India, Im sure many are upset, attacking Pakistan team on almost everything. Ive seen this 'Thinking about Boycotting Pakistan' Thread, which I wonder: Whats the gain by boycotting them? But anyways, First I want to say:

(1) Pakistan still showed promise in that collapse

- Batting showed promise, yes. A lot of fans are complaining at their slow run rate, but I thought they were going fine at around 5 runs an over when Rizwan and Babar was at the crease. The only problem was they simply lost wickets, pretty much nothing else. Abdullah Shafique and Imam Ul-Haq also had decent starts too. I dont remember much about the bowling performance, but at the beginning India was playing like it was a T20, so the fact that Pakistan bowlers restrained India to finishing match in 30 overs rather than 20 while getting 3 wickets shows that Pakistan bowling attack is good enough to do a decent job, with a few changes needed that I wont mention because its mentioned in other threads. NRR damage wasn't too bad.

This leads me to the main point of this thread:

- Pakistan don't have to be the best team, they can make the final by following the same path/ template as New Zealand in 2019.

New Zealand in 2019 made the final despite the fact that they finished fourth with same points as fifth place. So Pakistan just has to do the same, no need to have a must win for every single match. To be exact: Pakistan already lost vs India, they can take a loss vs New Zealand, and South Africa, and maybe even one other team (Afghanistan maybe). But all other matches would then have be pretty much must wins.

The other point to why Pakistan can win this World Cup is: They have faced a pressure-like situation early in the tournament. For teams in world cups or other similar tournaments, its always better to be under pressure early rather than face it later in the tournament, peaking early is usually a terrible sign actually, at least this is what I have noticed. Pakistan losing to India by a thrashing in front of a ~130,000 home crowd is a great pressure situation to build up from, as long as it doesn't do too much harm.

Their win against Sri Lanka is going to help massively. Its the batting that looks to be the key for Pakistan imo.

If we look at other teams:

- India - At the moment, India has breezed through this World Cup and are soon going to qualify, while they are yet to Netherlands and India. They just had a rather easy win against Pakistan in front of a massive support of ~130,000 of their fans. If India were to lose one of their next/ current matches vs Bangladesh, or South Africa, I doubt it will make much difference.

In 2019, they mostly breezed trough the group stage, a loss against England didn't really do much harm, but in semi-final they weren't that dominant team when chasing vs New Zealand. Lets have a think about this, and India in Champions Trophy 2017

- England - Since 2019, they have been playing their B team in multiple ODI Series, which is a big no first of all (I wont explain why), and in addition coming in with the favourites tag. Usually a team with those two things will get carried away, mainyl becuase they stick with their current ways, players that may have worked in past, but not nessecrily present, (not just in cricket by the way). In 2023 WC, England lose to New Zealand and Afgahnsitam. Lets have a think about that.

- Anyone Remember Pakistan in 2021 T20 WC and Australia in 2022 T20 WC?

- I believe its more obvious in Football

But anyways, a bit of a lame analysis thread from me lol, just wanted to say that Pakistan can win the World Cup. They Have a huge task tomorrow - Australia - And I mean its huge. In Cricketing terms Pakistan needs to put Australia on their deathbed for this World Cup, otherwise if Australia win then for me Pakistan is not making the semi-finals.

Pak batting and seam attack are doing ok.
Problem is the spinners who are looking unthreatening

I’ll tell you why Pakistan will not win.

They’re batting in some spurts is ok - but even at its best, it’s…. WEAK

The fast bowling can sometimes do a decent job ultimately it’s….WEAK

Spin bowling is rubbish and….WEAK

Captaincy - WEAK

Mentality - WEAK

We have a team of weaklings. We ain’t winning anything.

If we somehow make it to the semis, we just don’t have the quality to make it through.

Pakistan will need some help here

A few shock wins and NRR etc

But the game against Australia is crucial

You need to beat one of the big ones to get to semis.

Will need to beat a few of the big ones.

This applies to all however and not just Pakistan.

India is winning this easily. Pakistan has no chance of qualifying for the semi-finals. This would be considered a successful World Cup campaign.

Pakistan won’t win the World Cup and doesn’t deserve to either.

India is winning this easily. Pakistan has no chance of qualifying for the semi-finals. This would be considered a successful World Cup campaign.
Nah, 2 games in semi and finals are just whoever plays better that day.

Pakistan has some issues but I wouldn't count them out yet.

yeah, best teams don't have to win it and Pak can certainly win it. India was the best team in group stage in 2019. nothing came out of it. could happen again

They surely can still win it but it won't be possible if Shaheen kept on bowling at 130-135 kph and Haris kept on going with an economy rate of over 7.

The game against Australia is going to bring a reality check.

Our bowling is minnow level and Australia are not going to let us off the hook on a batting paradise like Sri Lanka did.

The game against Australia is going to bring a reality check.

Our bowling is minnow level and Australia are not going to let us off the hook on a batting paradise like Sri Lanka did.
Australia batting line can collapse from any situation. This has been happening consistently with them.

After their defeat against India, Im sure many are upset, attacking Pakistan team on almost everything. Ive seen this 'Thinking about Boycotting Pakistan' Thread, which I wonder: Whats the gain by boycotting them? But anyways, First I want to say:

(1) Pakistan still showed promise in that collapse

- Batting showed promise, yes. A lot of fans are complaining at their slow run rate, but I thought they were going fine at around 5 runs an over when Rizwan and Babar was at the crease. The only problem was they simply lost wickets, pretty much nothing else. Abdullah Shafique and Imam Ul-Haq also had decent starts too. I dont remember much about the bowling performance, but at the beginning India was playing like it was a T20, so the fact that Pakistan bowlers restrained India to finishing match in 30 overs rather than 20 while getting 3 wickets shows that Pakistan bowling attack is good enough to do a decent job, with a few changes needed that I wont mention because its mentioned in other threads. NRR damage wasn't too bad.

This leads me to the main point of this thread:

- Pakistan don't have to be the best team, they can make the final by following the same path/ template as New Zealand in 2019.

New Zealand in 2019 made the final despite the fact that they finished fourth with same points as fifth place. So Pakistan just has to do the same, no need to have a must win for every single match. To be exact: Pakistan already lost vs India, they can take a loss vs New Zealand, and South Africa, and maybe even one other team (Afghanistan maybe). But all other matches would then have be pretty much must wins.

The other point to why Pakistan can win this World Cup is: They have faced a pressure-like situation early in the tournament. For teams in world cups or other similar tournaments, its always better to be under pressure early rather than face it later in the tournament, peaking early is usually a terrible sign actually, at least this is what I have noticed. Pakistan losing to India by a thrashing in front of a ~130,000 home crowd is a great pressure situation to build up from, as long as it doesn't do too much harm.

Their win against Sri Lanka is going to help massively. Its the batting that looks to be the key for Pakistan imo.

If we look at other teams:

- India - At the moment, India has breezed through this World Cup and are soon going to qualify, while they are yet to Netherlands and India. They just had a rather easy win against Pakistan in front of a massive support of ~130,000 of their fans. If India were to lose one of their next/ current matches vs Bangladesh, or South Africa, I doubt it will make much difference.

In 2019, they mostly breezed trough the group stage, a loss against England didn't really do much harm, but in semi-final they weren't that dominant team when chasing vs New Zealand. Lets have a think about this, and India in Champions Trophy 2017

- England - Since 2019, they have been playing their B team in multiple ODI Series, which is a big no first of all (I wont explain why), and in addition coming in with the favourites tag. Usually a team with those two things will get carried away, mainyl becuase they stick with their current ways, players that may have worked in past, but not nessecrily present, (not just in cricket by the way). In 2023 WC, England lose to New Zealand and Afgahnsitam. Lets have a think about that.

- Anyone Remember Pakistan in 2021 T20 WC and Australia in 2022 T20 WC?

- I believe its more obvious in Football

But anyways, a bit of a lame analysis thread from me lol, just wanted to say that Pakistan can win the World Cup. They Have a huge task tomorrow - Australia - And I mean its huge. In Cricketing terms Pakistan needs to put Australia on their deathbed for this World Cup, otherwise if Australia win then for me Pakistan is not making the semi-finals.
Man it's fans like you that sustain the game of cricket. I guess this is what Rizwan was referring to about yesterday lol! ;)

Pakistan will need some help here

A few shock wins and NRR etc

But the game against Australia is crucial

You need to beat one of the big ones to get to semis.
This reminded me of the following:

I forgot to mention the biggest reason as to why I made this thread, which is: Australia and England having lost 2 matches.

1st and 2nd Place is already sealed for India and New Zealand (no particular order) imo, yes even though it is still early in the tournament. 3rd place should also be sealed for South Africa most likely. So that leaves 4th place wide open.

Now that Australia and England have lost two matches, I believe this makes it a whole lot easier for Pakistan to get 4th place, which again is the main reason why I made this thread. In fact, I believe Pakistan chances for 4th place is now easier compared to their semi final chances in 2019.

And so when Pakistan Faces Australia and England, imo Pakistan will be faced with "Predator seizing on prey moments" where Pakistan must, and I repeat! Must! Seize the moment and win against Australia and win against England.

For understandable reasons, a lot of people focus on Pakistan vs India as the big match that Pakistan must dominate, but before that match last week, I was already predicting and expecting Pakistan to lose against India, because facing India in Ahmedabad in front of that big of a home crowd is tough. You can call it negative attitude, but anyways, basically Pakistan did good enough on most things vs India. And so Im trying to say: Its the not the end of the world cup if Pakistan gets thrashed by India. The huge obstacle is winning against Australia today.

If Pakistan beats Australia and England, then the rest should follow (speaking metaphorically), and they likely wont need to rely on NRR Situation or shock results

It seems I didn't really explain the pressure situation well.

Basically, to summarise if a team faces a pressure situation early in the tournament and this pressure situation is about the team being knocked out in the early stages of the tournament (or in this case after a few matches), or having faced a major defeat either early or before the tournament.

So if a team can overcome that pressure situation challenge describe above, then I believe that team would have overcome one of their biggest obstacles to winning the tournament.

History somewhat shows that If a team are favourites, remain unbeaten for a large portion of the tournament, but then face a pressure-like and unfamiliar situation, then that team is likely to be unable to overcome that obstacle late in the tournament.

It seems I didn't really explain the pressure situation well.

Basically, to summarise if a team faces a pressure situation early in the tournament and this pressure situation is about the team being knocked out in the early stages of the tournament (or in this case after a few matches), or having faced a major defeat either early or before the tournament.

So if a team can overcome that pressure situation challenge describe above, then I believe that team would have overcome one of their biggest obstacles to winning the tournament.

History somewhat shows that If a team are favourites, remain unbeaten for a large portion of the tournament, but then face a pressure-like and unfamiliar situation, then that team is likely to be unable to overcome that obstacle late in the tournament.
Not wrong here at all.

If we can avoid india in semis I think we got a very good chance.

We can beat anyone else in semis. In finals it's anyone's game.

Nz , SA chokers or aus bring them on.

Today's match against the Aussies is a make-or-break for Pakistan. They need to win today to make it easy for themselves later on. They still have to face England, Aghanistan, South Africa, and New Zealand.

Once you make the final it's only a matter of 2 games left. England and Australia's teams imploding has really opened the door up for us. The South Africa loss to Netherlands helps quite a bit too.

The easiest route would be if New Zealand beats India in the SF like usual and then we make it past South Africa to face New Zealand in the final. Doesn't feel like we have much of a problem facing New Zealand in tournaments.

If Pakistan win this cup somehow via a fluke, it'll just cement the mediocrity for the next 4 years.

We need a new management shift with new players shifts. Even today you saw how Mitchell botching it with a 100 sr crippled NZ.

If Pakistan win this cup somehow via a fluke, it'll just cement the mediocrity for the next 4 years.

We need a new management shift with new players shifts. Even today you saw how Mitchell botching it with a 100 sr crippled NZ.
I don't think Mitchell had a choice, with wickets falling around him. To say he botched it is kind of unfair no?
But yes, i agree with you that setting under 300 is not enough this day and age

I don't think Mitchell had a choice, with wickets falling around him. To say he botched it is kind of unfair no?
No he did botch it. He and Philips were set, and he shpuld have taken the brunt of the attack and not let Chapman a new batter hog the strike.

Mitchell is a good player but his biggest weakness as seen even In the Pakistan series is his lack of ability to finish well at the death.

He's a class below Conway sadly.

It's not about setting under 300. It's the whole management mindset that's the problem.

1) Choose players with high averages only, with this criteria players like imam are chosen. On paper imam looks better then someone like Ravindra, but you'd always want ravindra. A person who plays with risk and high sr will have a lower average then a risk free weak minded cricketer. Unless your an atg like kohli, de Villiers, Sharma, usually this is the case.

2) Take every game deep till the end, which just puts pressure on the players.

3) duck for 30 overs amd fancy chasing 150-180 in the last 20. Again this doesn't work cause it's not t20, wickets have fallen and fielders are up lol, ball is also older.

4) keep playing the same winning 11, until that winning 11 gets butchered and you panic, otherwise zero squad rotation, Abdullah and saud are being shoved in with zero practise games despite having the chance to play 8 odi's before even the Asia cup for practise.

5) Not even bothering to develop any players, whereas every country like India and NZ have developed a string of 30 players for the next 4 years.

6) Backing out of form players cause the whole experience excuse. India immediately dropped put of form dhawan for gill, they didn't care that dhawan was man of the tournament in 2013, fakhar has been out of form but, we don't drop him?

7) Dosti yaari sending bad messages in general, Rizzu shouldn't be allowed to bat where ever he wants, it sends a bad message irrespective of how good a player he is, nor should babar be throwing zaman Khan under the bus for not performing but stating that sheddy and nawaz were his GOAT bowlers in the asia cup.

Ok lets say you are right winning this world cup is a disaster for Pakistan because it cements mediocrity for next few years.

Pakistan don't win the World Cup, no fluke happens, new management shift comes in and new players shift comes in. What do you think happens in 4 years?

Ok lets say you are right winning this world cup is a disaster for Pakistan because it cements mediocrity for next few years.

Pakistan don't win the World Cup, no fluke happens, new management shift comes in and new players shift comes in. What do you think happens in 4 years?
If Pakistan don't win the cup and we still stick to the same management then I shall burn my pakistani passport and keep my Australian passport only

Lol if we win this WC who cares. That'll be the biggest victory in Pakistan history.

Idk what happens in 4 years cause I'm not a genie.

I do know our cricket will improve though. It isn't hard to improve our cricket my dude. Just play to modern standards like India and NZ play as well as South Africa.

Imam doesn't even see anything wrong with pur approach in his interview. Taking every game deep is never gonna work against quality bowling especially the way India does Death bowling. It'll only work against weak attacks like Sri lanka.

Idk what happens in 4 years cause I'm not a genie.

I do know our cricket will improve though. It isn't hard to improve our cricket my dude. Just play to modern standards like India and NZ play as well as South Africa.

Imam doesn't even see anything wrong with pur approach in his interview. Taking every game deep is never gonna work against quality bowling especially the way India does Death bowling. It'll only work against weak attacks like Sri lanka.
What I mean is winning the WC is the goal lol.

You want a disaster in this one so we can grow and win the next one.

I'll take a 'fluke' in this one rather than that. Who knows whats gonna happen in 4 years.

Like all other domains, Pakistan is suffering from fundamental structural decay. In the era of super specialization they are still stuck on "natural talent" .

Natural talent is nothing but beginners luck in nascent early stage domains. Nothing special about it. As things mature, you need established structural reforms to hone and polish the skilled individuals. Pakistan lacks this considerably.

It has the 2nd largest human pool for cricket by a country mile, and the 4th best institutional structure( behind aus, ind, eng ). Maybe at par with SA and NZ.
Eventual might gets dictated by structure. Heck west indies have won multiple icc trophies and they did not even manage to qualify for this world cup.

What I mean is winning the WC is the goal lol.

You want a disaster in this one so we can grow and win the next one.

I'll take a 'fluke' in this one rather than that. Who knows whats gonna happen in 4 years.
But we won't fluke it though?

Difference between this cup and 2017 is that while 2017 does have some fluke aspects, especially Sri lanka chocking and sa being a lucky drs cause Pakistan wasn't gonna chase that, let's be honest,

2023 has beyond toothless bowling. Besides shaheen who seems to be finding rhythm, hasan Ali is a far cry from his 2017 days and Amir was class in pressure situations.

Fakhar is also the only player in Pakistan who can play upto modern standards is even though stats may not show it, while he was onsong he was the best batsmen in Pakistan even > Babar since babar can only dream of playing the innings fakhar has played and fakhar was onsong in 2017.

Lastly the middle order and spin department wasn't weak, hafeez, malik, Sarfraz, haris sohail, imad waseem made one heck of a middle order since hafeez can smash, malik was atleast decent at spin bashing and imad can tonk pretty well. Hafeez was also a pretty solid bowler to left handers and despite people listing stats imad was also onsong.

We had strong bashers, a strong top order and azhar ali since 2015 return had been averaging 45 with a sr of 85, unlike imam who carriers on his merry way, Azhar kept pace with fakhar pretty well in semi and finals.

2023 has toothless bowling, especially spin. Sheddy, chacha and nawaz are hilarious replacements from our previous allrounders, and 4 accumulators at the top isn't helping us.

If we somehow fluke a victory, the standard of Pakistan never winning until 3 or 4 decades pass will continue.

We don't need mediocrity, this taking the game deep approach, stat pad culture is not okay, we need to play the way India and NZ and SA play.

India doesn't bazzball neither does SA or NZ. They just know how to attack and show intent thats all. That's the way to play.

But we won't fluke it though?

Difference between this cup and 2017 is that while 2017 does have some fluke aspects, especially Sri lanka chocking and sa being a lucky drs cause Pakistan wasn't gonna chase that, let's be honest,

2023 has beyond toothless bowling. Besides shaheen who seems to be finding rhythm, hasan Ali is a far cry from his 2017 days and Amir was class in pressure situations.

Fakhar is also the only player in Pakistan who can play upto modern standards is even though stats may not show it, while he was onsong he was the best batsmen in Pakistan even > Babar since babar can only dream of playing the innings fakhar has played and fakhar was onsong in 2017.

Lastly the middle order and spin department wasn't weak, hafeez, malik, Sarfraz, haris sohail, imad waseem made one heck of a middle order since hafeez can smash, malik was atleast decent at spin bashing and imad can tonk pretty well. Hafeez was also a pretty solid bowler to left handers and despite people listing stats imad was also onsong.

We had strong bashers, a strong top order and azhar ali since 2015 return had been averaging 45 with a sr of 85, unlike imam who carriers on his merry way, Azhar kept pace with fakhar pretty well in semi and finals.

2023 has toothless bowling, especially spin. Sheddy, chacha and nawaz are hilarious replacements from our previous allrounders, and 4 accumulators at the top isn't helping us.

If we somehow fluke a victory, the standard of Pakistan never winning until 3 or 4 decades pass will continue.

We don't need mediocrity, this taking the game deep approach, stat pad culture is not okay, we need to play the way India and NZ and SA play.

India doesn't bazzball neither does SA or NZ. They just know how to attack and show intent thats all. That's the way to play.
Most importantly in all the instances where we came back from nowhere we seemed to have some semblance of self belief, some confidence. here we have been terribly terribly flat. Reminds me of the 03 and 07 campaigns. Dont see us coming back from this. To pull off such miracles you need inspirational leaders, Babar is far from one.

Most importantly in all the instances where we came back from nowhere we seemed to have some semblance of self belief, some confidence. here we have been terribly terribly flat. Reminds me of the 03 and 07 campaigns. Dont see us coming back from this. To pull off such miracles you need inspirational leaders, Babar is far from one.
Well said

Not just some self belief, but we had actual ability in the squad which just hadn't gotten going yet.

At this rate you could give our bowling attack a thousand balls each and they still might not take 10 wickets on these surfaces. There's no potential to uncover.

This World Cup is over and it would take nothing short of a miracle to beat any of SA, NZ or England. You can forget winning all three.

There is no concievable route to winning against any of these teams barring an absolute miracle coming from the likes of Shaheen, Abdullah, Rizwan or maybe Babar himself. The rest of the team is just fodder.

I laugh and cry at the same time after reading some of the threads seriously when will fans grow up ?

I laugh and cry at the same time after reading some of the threads seriously when will fans grow up ?
I admit this thread has become a joke thread. I just didn't expect Pakistan to lose to Afghanistan, since I had previously thought that if they had got Rahmanullah Gurbaz out early then thats nearly the game won for Pakistan.

But I still hold to my "pressure situation" things that I wrote, however in order to overcome the prssure situation, a team needs to have the players to do it.

Anyways...

I admit this thread has become a joke thread. I just didn't expect Pakistan to lose to Afghanistan, since I had previously thought that if they had got Rahmanullah Gurbaz out early then thats nearly the game won for Pakistan.

But I still hold to my "pressure situation" things that I wrote, however in order to overcome the prssure situation, a team needs to have the players to do it.

Anyways...
As a PCT fan you were positive about your team, nothing wrong in it.
Don’t listen to Mamoons.

We were in it till the first innings today. Very hard to make the next round now.

Bowlers win tournaments and unfortunately we didn't have any that stood up

As a PCT fan you were positive about your team, nothing wrong in it.
Don’t listen to Mamoons.
yes. These Mamoons are root of everything that is going wrong.

The pakistan team greatly influenced by the aura around them. That is why, the crowd in the stadium has so much impact in the performance of the team. These Mamoons comes with an agenda and while there's not much evidence, I won't be surprised if these Mamoons disguise as opposition fan only to demoralize the PCT in the stadium while the match is going on.

I won't be surprised if this is why PCT is failing this time around. The PCT team needs positivity to tackle these negativity from the Mamoons. This thread exactly does that. But it will need hundreds of like this because each positive comment in positive threads like this = 1 prayer. It can do wonder. People just need to make more threads instead of bashing the team.

yes. These Mamoons are root of everything that is going wrong.

The pakistan team greatly influenced by the aura around them. That is why, the crowd in the stadium has so much impact in the performance of the team. These Mamoons comes with an agenda and while there's not much evidence, I won't be surprised if these Mamoons disguise as opposition fan only to demoralize the PCT in the stadium while the match is going on.

I won't be surprised if this is why PCT is failing this time around. The PCT team needs positivity to tackle these negativity from the Mamoons. This thread exactly does that. But it will need hundreds of like this because each positive comment in positive threads like this = 1 prayer. It can do wonder. People just need to make more threads instead of bashing the team.

These Mamoons are here to jinx Indian team half of the time it’s coz him that posters over criticise Indian players, from the time he has started posting we have won 0 ICC tournaments and PCT won 1 along with our T20 wc defeat.

relax..

• Haha
Reactions: OMB
Pakistan can still win this world cup, they don't have to be the best team

Success is when talent meets opportunity.

It is true luck is required in cups, heck 2017, 1992 we got lucky. But we ceized the opportunity when we were given it and dominated in semi's and finals. Same with England in 2019 they ceized the opportunity given to them.

How on earth are you gonna ceize opportunities with the worlds most toothless bowling, fielding and batting?

The batting is spineless, the bowling is toothless and the fielding is clearly showing why cake is weighing them down.

Back