"Pakistan don't have players like SKY or Hardik Pandya to come in and smash it": Nasser Hussain

ataullah

First Class Captain
Runs
"Pakistan don't have players like SKY or Hardik Pandya to come in and smash it": Nasser Hussain

Speaking on Sky Cricket, Nasser Hussain said that he received a lot of hate on social media when he criticised India’s timid approach in the big games.

The former England skipper added that the trolls argued that he doesn’t criticise the Pakistani team in the same manner in which he analyses Indian cricket team.

Hussain then explained the reason behind not going after Pakistan’s batters by praising Indian cricket’s depth of talent.

The 54-year-old former England batter said that Pakistan do not have the likes of Suryakumar Yadav or Hardik Pandya to rescue them if they lose wickets up front.

“Twitter was going ballistic saying 'how you go on about India and not Pakistan'. It's a completely different thing. Pakistan don't have the batting depth as we saw in the last few overs in the final. They don't have players like Suryakumar Yadav, or Hardik Pandya to come in and smash it,” Hussain said on Sky Sports.

The trolling of Hussain started when he lambasted the Indian top-order for not scoring quick runs in the power play and first 10 overs of the game in the T20 World Cup.

However, Pakistan, who also had a similar approach throughout the tournament, escaped the criticism from the former England skipper.

Hussain further mentioned that he didn’t talk about Pakistan’s slow batting because they had the best bowling attack in the tournament and even if their batters manage to reach a par score, their bowlers kept them in the game but it wasn’t the case for India.

“Also, Pakistan have the best bowling line-up. So, if they get par, even less than par, they are still in the game. If India get par against England on a pitch like Adelaide, you are out of the game,” Hussain concluded.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with him. The power hitters we have are very limited and only hit when ball is in their hitting zone. Who can play like Pandya and SKY in Pakistan? Why are we always lacking players who can clear the boundary effortlessly?

SKY is one of a kind even within India. DK was supposed to be 360 degree. Under pressure he becomes 2 degree batsman. If KL Rahul bats in the middle he can contribute more than what he is doing now against new ball. Then Samson, Pant, Kishan, Shreyas Iyer, Venky Iyer. Patidar all can play fast knocks. Pakistan with 4 fast bowlers + 2 all rounders will have to bank on top 5 to do the damage. Top 5 = Babar, Rizwan, Masood, Chacha, Harris. This is not even remotely close to Buttler, Hales, Malan, Stokes, Brooks.

Most people don't realise, SKY is 32 years old.

He definitely is not the future, but the last hoorah at the wild west saloon.

Agree with Nasser Hussain. Pakistan never claims to be strong batting team. India's strength is batting but in the T20 WC the team was very defensive in its approach. Only exceptions were SKY and Hardik ( last match )

Indian batting was still second best in performance after england ,Main problem is bowling and lack of allrounder.

By the time he retires, he would have done a lot of damage to other sides!

Stating the obvious. Our batters aren't very good( to put it mildly) but we still reached the final. The drought won't last forever

Age doesn't really matter unless we are talking about a youngster who has natural ability but is raw and needs to be developed.

Misbah was 33 when he paddle scooped Joginder Sharma in 2007 T20 Final. 9 years later, he hit a hundred at Lords and did push-ups in a test match in a match winning cause.

SKY has the experience, ability and maturity, it is just a matter of him to start producing the results and win games for his team over the next 5-6 years and then India can move on from him.

Pakistan glorify sloggers as power hitters , that is the worst mistake they are making.

There was a joke on twitter. That other teams were playing T20. But India was playing T19

Bcoz KL Rahul wud invariably play a maiden in the 1st over in every game :facepalm

'You're talking about Rohit Sharma. The guy's got 3 ODI double hundreds': Hussain's reply to Atherton's fear question

Atherton asked Hussain if the fear of losing their spot stops the Indian batters to bat freely. Hussain came up with a brilliant response, saying Rohit Sharma has three double hundreds in ODIs and four centuries in T20I cricket, he really shouldn't be worried about his spot in the side and so shouldn't KL Rahul.

In Rohit Sharma, KL Rahul and Virat Kohli, India have a top-order that most others would dream of but maybe not in T20 cricket. Despite their truckload of talent and ability to hit any bowler on any given day, the trio just don't seem to take the game on in the early part of the innings. Rohit Sharma did show a lot of intent, especially after taking over as India's captain following last year's debacle in the T20 World Cup but in most cases, he ended up losing his shape, failing to get the desired results. Kohli ended up as this World Cup's highest run-scorer, won India a match single-handedly against Pakistan but with him starting slowly and playing the anchor, India needed KL Rahul to bat freely at the top, which didn't happen. The result was an exit from the semi-final after losing to England.

Looking at India's issues at the top of the order, former England captain Nasser Hussain said they need a leader like Eoin Morgan, who would set them free as Hussain believes, the likes of Rahul and Rohit can take bowling attacks apart if they shed their fear. Michael Atherton, another former England skipper, however, believes it is easier said than done.

Atherton asked Hussain if the fear of losing their spot stops the Indian batters to bat freely.

"You talk about the Morgan impact on England and rightly so. But do you think it's harder in India for two reasons, one is the number of cricketers they have so obviously the competition is greater? You kind of feel, if you lose your place and somebody comes in, you might get your spot back again. And also the differential between the match fees paid by BCCI and sponsorship arrangements that these big names like Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma, and KL Rahul, there's a huge differential, much bigger than England. Do you think these two factors make it more difficult for India?" he said.

Hussain came up with a brilliant response, saying Rohit Sharma has three double hundreds in ODIs and four centuries in T20I cricket, he really shouldn't be worried about his spot in the side and so shouldn't KL Rahul.

"I think you are complicating things. I wouldn't be worried if they weren't incredibly talented cricketers. You're not talking about someone who is on the edge of the seat for a place in the side. You're talking about Rohit Sharma, who has got two (three) double hundreds in ODI cricket, so the guy can smash it. You're talking about KL Rahul, when you do see him bat. I think it's the fear," Hussain replied.

Rohit, Rahul and Kohli won't be a part of India's limited-overs tour to New Zealand. Hardik Pandya is leading India in the three-match T20I series while Shikhar Dhawan will take over the reins in the ODIs.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...-ahteron-s-fear-question-101668758181874.html

A team of India's batting and Pakistan's bowling would be quite a teamwouldn't it.

Bumrah was a huge miss for India.

'You're talking about Rohit Sharma. The guy's got 3 ODI double hundreds': Hussain's reply to Atherton's fear question

Atherton asked Hussain if the fear of losing their spot stops the Indian batters to bat freely. Hussain came up with a brilliant response, saying Rohit Sharma has three double hundreds in ODIs and four centuries in T20I cricket, he really shouldn't be worried about his spot in the side and so shouldn't KL Rahul.

In Rohit Sharma, KL Rahul and Virat Kohli, India have a top-order that most others would dream of but maybe not in T20 cricket. Despite their truckload of talent and ability to hit any bowler on any given day, the trio just don't seem to take the game on in the early part of the innings. Rohit Sharma did show a lot of intent, especially after taking over as India's captain following last year's debacle in the T20 World Cup but in most cases, he ended up losing his shape, failing to get the desired results. Kohli ended up as this World Cup's highest run-scorer, won India a match single-handedly against Pakistan but with him starting slowly and playing the anchor, India needed KL Rahul to bat freely at the top, which didn't happen. The result was an exit from the semi-final after losing to England. QUOTE ]

This is the crux of the problem. Rohit, Kohli and KL Rahul cannot go bang bang right from the start. They need a few overs to settle down and once set they can be devastating. A big reason why they are so good in ODIs

But in T20 we need Jos Buttler and SKY style batters

Last edited:
Age doesn't really matter unless we are talking about a youngster who has natural ability but is raw and needs to be developed.

Misbah was 33 when he paddle scooped Joginder Sharma in 2007 T20 Final. 9 years later, he hit a hundred at Lords and did push-ups in a test match in a match winning cause.

SKY has the experience, ability and maturity, it is just a matter of him to start producing the results and win games for his team over the next 5-6 years and then India can move on from him.

age does matter in t20, maybe moeen and warner are only guys 35+ who still hit decently, once ur reactions are gone u cant play shots like SKY does.

if he's blessed with extra longevity he might play 3 or 4 more years. as it is from what little I've seen of him against Pakistan he does not handle express pace back of a length (naseem and rauf dismissals) particularly well.

hitting spinners, or playing tests is another matter. misbah by the end of his career was just letting bouncers hit him.

Pakistan has a good bowling attack in both the departments( pace and spin) but their batsman need to show more intent. Even in ODIs, they have this problem. Imam seems like a Shai Hope v 2.0 for Pakistan.

India obviously fielded an absymal bowling attack in T20s to even stand a chance of winning the tournament.

Hussain probably knows more than anyone else India has outbatted England several times in the limited overs formats. He has been seeing Rohit for years. He starts slow and explodes. Current Rohit is finished. He is old. reflexes are gone. KL Rahul is a nervous choker. More the pressure more he will choke. At some point batsmen will fall apart. England has a reasonably inform batting line up. india has out of form line up. Kohli luckily had a great tournament most likely playing from his memory. This is hardly his very best form.

age does matter in t20, maybe moeen and warner are only guys 35+ who still hit decently, once ur reactions are gone u cant play shots like SKY does.

if he's blessed with extra longevity he might play 3 or 4 more years. as it is from what little I've seen of him against Pakistan he does not handle express pace back of a length (naseem and rauf dismissals) particularly well.

hitting spinners, or playing tests is another matter. misbah by the end of his career was just letting bouncers hit him.

The very first ball he faced was 150 kph from Rauf. Hit him straight past him. Then that 147kph bouncer was pulled infront of the wicket on the front foot. He also hit a bouncer of shaheen shah over square for six. Even that sharp short ball he got out was due to lack of room He has handled quicker stuffs with ease. This was never his problem. Problem is he is not being selective. His game is all about deliberately hitting through vacant areas. So even if he mishits he won't get out.

Nasser is clearly out of touch with Pakistan cricket.

He doesn't know we have Umar Akmal and Sharjeel sitting on the sidelines.

Time to face the truth. No need to sugar coat anything to satisfy egoes. Indian bowling and Pak batting are junk standard in T20Is. Pak did well at the end because their bowling was lethal and Indian batting didn't meet the expectations and were too conservative. Need youngsters in Indian batting and bowling lineup. India needs to get rid of mental midgets like Rahul and oldies like BK, DK , Rohit, Shami and Ashwin. Pak needs to stop glorifying Asif Ali and Haider Ali trash batter types. They also need to be aggressive upfront.

Time to face the truth. No need to sugar coat anything to satisfy egoes. Indian bowling and Pak batting are junk standard in T20Is. Pak did well at the end because their bowling was lethal and Indian batting didn't meet the expectations and were too conservative. Need youngsters in Indian batting and bowling lineup. India needs to get rid of mental midgets like Rahul and oldies like BK, DK , Rohit, Shami and Ashwin. Pak needs to stop glorifying Asif Ali and Haider Ali trash batter types. They also need to be aggressive upfront.

I would rather a weaker batsman with more mental strength than mentally weak batsmen. Dk/Rohit/KL very weak mentally.

Its ok Naz, you don’t need to explain yourself. We all know you love the enigma that is Pak cricket and don’t have much time for the arrogant Inds.

Age does matter when it comes to reflexes. 32 isn't a youngster, early 20s is a youngster.

One of the biggest criticisms of Misbah post 2010 was his Tuk Tuk approach which suited Tests, but no white ball cricket. Even MSDs reflexes had declined with age, and arguably we are seeing this with Kohli.

All I am saying is if SKY was 22 then he'd be a real asset for India, but at 32, his peak years are certainly behind him.

Age does matter when it comes to reflexes. 32 isn't a youngster, early 20s is a youngster.

One of the biggest criticisms of Misbah post 2010 was his Tuk Tuk approach which suited Tests, but no white ball cricket. Even MSDs reflexes had declined with age, and arguably we are seeing this with Kohli.

All I am saying is if SKY was 22 then he'd be a real asset for India, but at 32, his peak years are certainly behind him.

SKY is unique. His IPL record is not as good as his international record. Neither his first class or LIst A record. Everyone expected him to do well. But not this well. But he has clearly improved beyond his own standard. His standard in T20 may get impacted once he starts playing 50 over game.

Any team that has fearless batters like Sky and pandya in the middle should not play cowardly cricket at the top.. mentally weak players like Rahul is a liability

India teaches its youngsters proper batting technique from a young age. Even SKY and Pandya learned the basics first. They’re not tullaybaaz legends.

Look at the thousands of YouTube tutorials on batting basics. They’re made by Indians, Englishmen, Kiwis, Australians, South Africans. But I’m yet to see one by a Pakistani.

I just get them on my recommended feed and over the years I may browse a vid here and there, but I rarely, if ever, seen one of those videos by a Pakistani cricket academy.

We have to implement an emphasis on batting at a young level like India have been doing for fast bowlers since early 2000s.

Forget the u18 and u17 level. I’m talking u15 and below. M Yousuf could do great in that regard I feel.

Last edited:
Lol why is this obvious part being highlighted but not the part where he specifically says ‘Pakistan is the only team that can stay in the game as long as they get close to a par score’.

Quite chuffed our bowlers are getting their due, specially in a place like Australia, where historically we have never been good enough even in the bowling department.

I know which team beat my team.

Do you know which team beat yours by 10 wicket? TWICE in crunch matches in two back to back world cups?

Have a fantastic day.

The same team that beat yours?

Lol why is this obvious part being highlighted but not the part where he specifically says ‘Pakistan is the only team that can stay in the game as long as they get close to a par score’.

Quite chuffed our bowlers are getting their due, specially in a place like Australia, where historically we have never been good enough even in the bowling department.

In t20 usually teams have opportunity to go after 4th and 5th bowlers. But Pakistan has that base covered at the expense of light weight batting. Opposition can't target them. Having said that Pakistan is not exactly good at defending totals notwithstanding Nasser's opinion. Against top 8 sides (including windies) Pakistan has lost 8 out of 11 matches while defending in 2022. India has lost 11 out of 20. W/L ratio is better for India. England is the best team in defending totals these days. lost only 2 out of 12 this year. I am excluding minnows here. Actually Pakistan is a better chaser these days. Won 5 out of 8. Australia also defends totals poorly. But chases better. second only to India in chasing. England has been a terrible chaser all year. lost 8 out of 13.

The same team that beat yours?

Yes. You already answered the basic question.

Now care to explain the more important question: WHY?

Here are some multiple choice answers for you to pick:

1) they are chokers
2) there is unnecessary hype about them created by media based on performances in a domestic league aka IPL
3) all of the above

Thank you

Yes. You already answered the basic question.

Now care to explain the more important question: WHY?

Here are some multiple choice answers for you to pick:

1) they are chokers
2) there is unnecessary hype about them created by media based on performances in a domestic league aka IPL
3) all of the above

Thank you

I choose option (4): Pakistan lost to both India and England, therefore Pakistani fans look like comedians when they celebrate England thumping India in the semifinal.

I choose option (4): Pakistan lost to both India and England, therefore Pakistani fans look like comedians when they celebrate England thumping India in the semifinal.
Nice to know you can’t read and like to make up things, since option number 4 wasn’t even given to you - yet you chose it.

Lol.

Have a fantastic day.

India need all those power hitters they can find to compliment that awful bowling attack.
India these days need spicy tracks to be competitive.

Back