"Pakistan fans should enjoy this & those sitting on TV channels should also do the same": Babar Azam

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
"Pakistan fans should enjoy this & those sitting on TV channels should also do the same": Babar Azam

Coming back from injury in the build-up to the T20 World Cup, Shaheen Shah Afridi continues to go from strength to strength, and looms as a pivotal figure in Pakistan's trophy hopes.

The world-class left-armer was at his brilliant best in spite of a docile Sydney Cricket Ground surface, taking the wicket of Finn Allen up front in the first over, before returning to outfox Kane Williamson with a cunning slower ball.

He finished with 2/24 from his allotment, moving to ten wickets for the tournament, joining Shadab Khan as the most prolific in Pakistan's campaign in Australia.

Of course, Shaheen's significance in Sydney was not lost on skipper Babar Azam, who lauded the quick and the early inroads he made.

"He set the tone," Babar began.

"After the injury, day by day he's improving because you see him playing for the team and performing after the injury."

It's been a slow road for Shaheen to return, who suffered cruciate damage to his knee in a Test match against Sri Lanka in July.

Shaheen is on record saying he struggled to walk at first due to the injury, and the option not to race him back has proved vital, with the 22-year-old looking at close to full fitness.

"He had a little bit of time (to recover)," Babar added.

"He has really been using our experience and now everyone knows he's the best bowler in Pakistan and in the world, so we know he's bowling and he's doing fine out there."

Pakistan were better in all three facets against the Kiwis, punching their ticket to Melbourne on Sunday, the first T20 World Cup final appearance since they won the tournament in 2009.

A journey with the up-and-down parallels of the Cricket World Cup campaign their forefathers had in 1992, Babar does not play down the significance of their 50/50 shot of a tournament win.

"It means a lot. To be honest, we did not start well, but after the South Africa match we had hope, and after that we grabbed the opportunity, then we are playing our best cricket."

"Alhamdulillah, we will play well in the final."

ICC

When Babar was asked whether the team management thought about sending the Pakistan captain at no.3 – which was what most cricket experts in Pakistan were suggesting following Babar's poor patch – the skipper had a rather straightforward response.

“Mere khyaal se zehen me aisa kuch nahi tha. Ham apne waqt ka wait kar rahe the. Ye cricket hai, aap koshish karte hain ki aap har match me perform karein. Par ups and downs chalte rehte hain. Tanqeed sab hi karte hain, ham achha bhi karte hain toh vo karte hain. Ye jeet aap enjoy karein, Pakistan me jo aawam hai, aur jo yahan pe crowd tha, vo bhi enjoy karein, aur jo TV pe baithe hain, vo bhi enjoy karein. (No, we didn't think like that. We were just waiting for our time. You try to perform in every game but ups and downs are part of the game. Everybody criticises, even if we perform well. Now, just enjoy the win, Pakistan fans should enjoy this and those sitting in television channels should also do the same),” Babar said.

In another question regarding criticism on him from former Pakistan stars, Babar stated that he has no problems with it as long as it isn't personal.

“Agar aapko tanqeed kar raha hai… vo mujhe nahi, meri team ko kar rahe the. Har ek ka apna opinion hota hai, lekin personal nahi hona chahiye. Achhi tanqeed karenge toh har banda dekhta hai. Aap bhi karte hain, par aap har cheez ko dekhke karte hain. Personal hona... ham kuch nahi kar sakte. Bas enjoy karein ki ham final me pohoch gaye. (My team was being criticised. Everyone has their opinion, but you shouldn't get personal. If it's productive criticism, everyone listens. You also criticise us, but you see everything. We can't do anything if they get personal. Let's just enjoy that we have reached the final),” Babar said with a wry smile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Shaheen is back!

Great news for Pakistan and bad news for opponents.

Legend absolute legend the whole attack is just outta this world gotta laud Taity hez just drilled them into an oiled machine every bowler is up and running one more game guys :messi

He is going to give his 199% at MCG cometh iconic World cup final

He has been brilliant in the last 3 games.He is now back to 75% fit and the ball is starting to come back into the Right Hander.

I bet Babar has been waiting all tournament to get that dig in at the tv experts :)

Hopefully this is not toward the guys on The Pavillion. Most balanced and neutral cricketing show with top class and balanced analysis.

Hopefully this is not toward the guys on The Pavillion. Most balanced and neutral cricketing show with top class and balanced analysis.

Most likely to all the absurd stuff we see on other channels like GEO.

As long as the critcism isn't personal and strictly related to cricket, I think its fine for TV pundits to do that and frankly this team is not perfect & shouldn't be immune to criticisms.

I still fine it crazy that they gave Haris one T20 match (his only T20 match ever!) before all of a sudden including & playing him in the WC squad. Rizwan required some rest too during all these T20 series so they didn't accomplish either of those things. Didn't bother trying 4 seamers in NZ tri-series either and all of a sudden, it's somehow Haris at 3, Shan at 4, they're playing with 4 seamers and its all so typical Pakistan. Flying by the seat of your pants & trying to catching lightning in a bottle. It worked but the process & preparation warrant genuine questions and criticism.

Babar turning out to be a tough character.. well done.. We need a captain who is tough and make eye contact with his critics. Yes he will make mistakes but he is leading the team in right direction not to forget Rizwan plays a key role in keeping the together...

Babar is a very petty individual. He lacks guts and does not accept valid criticism.

Babar is a very petty individual. He lacks guts and does not accept valid criticism.

What makes you think that from this? Do you know what question was asked of him?

It's the other way around. The one's criticising for the sake of it on TV screens are petty. Babar is largely delivering on the field where it matters, and that takes guts. Doesn't take any guts to criticise from behind the keyboard.

Journalist: You have made a great comeback. You do understand that India can potentially be our opponent in the final. In such games, we often are under pressure. What is your strategy for such a situation?

Babar Azam:We can't say right now which opponent will we be facing in the final. No matter which opponent comes, we will try to give our 100%. We always try to overcome challenges, and a final is bound to have pressure. You enter the final after passing through different phases in a tournament. When you reach final, you try to play fearless cricket. The kind of cricket we have played in the last 3-4 matches, we would look to continue that.

https://sports.ndtv.com/t20-world-c...-india-babar-azams-response-to-journo-3505038

I bet Babar has been waiting all tournament to get that dig in at the tv experts :)

Thats the way to do it. Those tv experts deserve far worse.

It was lovely to watch their forced praises after the match yesterday.

What makes you think that from this? Do you know what question was asked of him?

Because he has a track record of being petty and egoistic. We all know how he refused to listen to Gibbs and Waseem and always did what he wanted. His inflated ego does not allow him to accept any feedback.

Also, he has gone against the chief selector and included Asif and made other horrible decisions such as persisting with Khushdil and refusing to make way for Harris while being terribly out of form in this tournament.

Did anyone catch Amir on TV after the match? It was actually kinda pathetic how hard he was trying to mask his disappointment after having been proven wrong. I honestly don't think there is a bigger and more toxic snake in Pakistan cricket than Mohammad Amir. And that covers alot of ground.

Good to see a Pakistani captain fight back against this cabal of cricketers and ex-cricketers who like to come on TV and spread toxicity under the guise of "analysis".

Barring The Pavilion, just about every cricket show on TV is a joke and just another avenue for these cricketers and ex-cricketers to vent their frustrations at their own failures and unfulfilled careers. They don't have the guts to take responsibility for their own mediocrity, which is why they attack the current players who still have a chance to make something of themselves.

Babar has every right to hit back at critics, afterall he has delivered Pakistan a World Cup Final at MCG
Yes
A World Cup Final in Australian soil.

Shots fired.

Amir, wahab, kamran, tanveer ahmad, younis khan and many are just soo terrible.

I tuned into amirs show yesterday just to see his reaction and you can tell by his face he was disappointed.

Pathetic.

Many posters here also deserve to be critisized especially [MENTION=2016]Rana[/MENTION]

He wanted asif ali to be captain, the guy who is mot even part of the playing 11 now

Good to see a Pakistani captain fight back against this cabal of cricketers and ex-cricketers who like to come on TV and spread toxicity under the guise of "analysis".

Barring The Pavilion, just about every cricket show on TV is a joke and just another avenue for these cricketers and ex-cricketers to vent their frustrations at their own failures and unfulfilled careers. They don't have the guts to take responsibility for their own mediocrity, which is why they attack the current players who still have a chance to make something of themselves.

Pavilion is a great show. They have proper segments to discuss things on topic and fakhar really keeps thing on topic.

Even when we lost misbah and waqar told fakhar stay positive dont get emotional :)).

I love the segment of ask the pavilion because when the players go back to their playing days and tell us stories its great to watch.

I remember Rameez raja used to have a show in his backyard where ex cricketers would get invivted and they would discuss about the past events

Pavilion is a great show. They have proper segments to discuss things on topic and fakhar really keeps thing on topic.

Even when we lost misbah and waqar told fakhar stay positive dont get emotional :)).

I love the segment of ask the pavilion because when the players go back to their playing days and tell us stories its great to watch.

I remember Rameez raja used to have a show in his backyard where ex cricketers would get invivted and they would discuss about the past events

My favorite thing about the show is the discussion of the technical aspects of the game. That is an area where cricketers and ex-cricketers have a certain knowledge and understanding that common people don't. What's surprising is that of all the cricket shows on TV this is the only show that discusses those aspects in a balanced and analytical way, whereas the other shows seem to pander to the likes and dislikes of average people; while directing all kinds of personal attacks at our players.

What the likes of you do is not valid criticism. Pakistan people as a whole are not capable of constructive criticism, and they still keep going like absolute muppets defending useless narratives when made to look like fools.

Did anyone catch Amir on TV after the match? It was actually kinda pathetic how hard he was trying to mask his disappointment after having been proven wrong. I honestly don't think there is a bigger and more toxic snake in Pakistan cricket than Mohammad Amir. And that covers alot of ground.

He’s a snake, I was silly enough to give him the benefit of the doubt, but my word, everything that has ever been said about him is true. He didn’t tweet anything positive about Pakistan getting to the final either, he is probably praying that they lose the game so he can spew his vitriol

He’s a snake, I was silly enough to give him the benefit of the doubt, but my word, everything that has ever been said about him is true. He didn’t tweet anything positive about Pakistan getting to the final either, he is probably praying that they lose the game so he can spew his vitriol

I, too, gave him the benefit of the doubt for a long time until I realized what a toxic snake he is.

He can blabber all he wants. He's finished and at the end of the day, he will be remembered as nothing more than a footnote in the history of Pakistan cricket.

Kamran Akmal is more toxic overall but sad to see what Amir has become.

Despite my complaint that the panelists sometimes are guilty of double standards - I'm sad seeing it go until next year's World Cup.

I wish they'd do a more regular cricket show as the analysis is streets ahead of anything we've seen in Pakistan. Even a pared-down production would be fine.

I wasn't a fan of Misbah's coaching but no doubt he's a true cricket fanatic. Guy doesn't stop thinking cricket 24/7.

Everyone knows I'm not a fan of Waqar's coaching or captaincy, and tendency to make statements before thinking. However I've never doubted he's a patriotic human being who genuinely loves Pakistan cricket, and gave some good insights particularly on powerhitting. He came across as very likeable this year.

Wasim is Wasim, I like how he sledges the social media trolls back.

I'm not a fan of Shoaib Malik the batsman, and his tweet about selections were a thinly veiled attempt to win a spot into WC squad. However again he won me over - especially with a heartwarming story about Younis Khan telling him to lift the trophy in 2009 after the 2007 heartbreak. Even I had to shed a tear.

Last edited:
Back