Pakistan losing Test series to Bangladesh is a symptom of something deeper

Junaids

Senior T20I Player
Runs
Post of the Week
The ongoing travails of the Pakistan Test team at home to Bangladesh are a precise echo of the two countries' economic development.....and that bodes badly for Pakistan. Because I think there is a common cause for the malaise.

Obviously in 1971 when Pakistan split in half, Bangladesh was the half with the poor cricketers and around 20% of the wealth.

We are watching what is happening in the cricket.

Meanwhile 170 million Bangladeshis live in a $455 billion economy, with per capita GDP of $2,646.
While 242 million Pakistanis live in a $338 billion economy, with per capita GDP of $1,461.

But I see fast bowlers who bowl 20K slower than their parents' generation did.

Spin bowlers who aren't just worse than Abdul Qadir or Intikhab Alam. They are worse than Iqbal Qasim or Tauseef Ahmed or even Mushtaq Muhammad.

I see batsmen who can't survive a session.

I see a skipper who is a lovely guy, but who - like Azhar Ali - was appointed captain at an age where all his contemporaries outside Asia have already retired.

Generally in most countries most sportsmen aren't terribly smart or educated. And cricket academies elsewhere exist to ensure that the likes of Dave Warner learn how to think more than that they learn how to play.

But in Pakistan there is no concept of the most talented players being national treasures which have to be nurtured.

Consider Shadab Khan. By the time Mickey Arthur was first fired in 2019, he was a decent but half-developed spinner, top fielder and exceptional lower-middle order batsman. He's incapable of learning that he needs to play a lot of red ball cricket to become a reliable bowler with any colour of ball.

Pakistan fans just go "he's made bad choices, that's his problem". What they don't see is that it's actually THEIR problem. They don't have another spinner who can bat at Number 7 or 8, so in the last Test they ended up with Shaheen Afridi batting at 8!

Pakistan did fine in the 1980s because Imran Khan could actually think and make sensible decisions. They did OK in the Wasim Akram eras because he could to a certain extent.

But now they languish because the best players are allowed to make dumb decisions and then get excluded.

The second Mickey Arthur era ended with this team at Number 2 in this round of the World Test Championship. At least he could think for his team.

But now? What a mess!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t worry man, I see Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited Cricket Club (SNGPL.CC) cooking next season.

Hopefully we find some young talent in the restructured domestic season.

Pakistan cricket has always been dysfunctional, but when you have a talented core, the results can mask the underlying dysfunction and a poor domestic system.

Now that legendary talented core is not there, the systemic deficiencies are obvious

Very reductive argument that doesn't have alot of legs.

The simple reason is that Pakistani players lack skills and mental toughness. We're just not good enough, It has nothing to do with whatever grand, overarching narrative you're trying to concoct here.

Cricket is a just a mirror image of the state of the country. Obsession with India instead of developing the economy and the country as a whole has been their biggest problem.
oh man I fear for BD, heading towards the same fate if we dont change

I don’t see what beards has got to do with it. No one in the current team has a beard for religious reasons (which is what I assume you’re implying). They are doing it for “ishtyle”.

In fact when we did have proper beards they were a better team!

Cricket came too easy to Pakistan. Our mental IQ doesn't deserve a professional sport, or a professionally run institution for that matter. The bridge will only get further.

Not sure what.the problem is blaming PCB all the time. We dont have any talent we dont have any batters nor any bowlers unfortunately. The fielding the less said the better

What has beards to do with Pakistan cricket not performing. Mir Hamza, Abrar are plain shaved how are they performing?
There is simply no talent in Pakistan and cricket will be finished in next five years.
Pakistan will have to compete with associates after 5 years

They haven't lost yet. Pakistan can still make it 1-1.

But, yeah. Wake up call definitely.

Just like the heads of the country, the pcb heads are also too busy filling their pockets and don't give a hoot about the cricket.

Instead of investing the money generated into better pitches and developing players, they want to fill their own pockets and go on holidays with the team.

Let's be honest, the quality of your domestic cricket is a reflection on the national team. How are Pakistans Shaheen and U19, Emerging players doing?

We don't have a single 140 km/hr pacer who can last a test match or even ODI Cricket

We don't have a single decent leg spinner, chinaman, off spinner, left arm spinner who can be relied upon for test and ODI Cricket

Less said about our batting standards, the better in any format of the game

We need foreign coaches in our domestic, U19 set ups and academies and give them the power to fully professionalize our cricket in the grass roots because the local Pakistani coaches have failed us very badly. But this requires an insane injection of funds which the PCB does not have.

Let's be honest, the quality of your domestic cricket is a reflection on the national team. How are Pakistans Shaheen and U19, Emerging players doing?

We don't have a single 140 km/hr pacer who can last a test match or even ODI Cricket

We don't have a single decent leg spinner, chinaman, off spinner, left arm spinner who can be relied upon for test and ODI Cricket

Less said about our batting standards, the better in any format of the game

We need foreign coaches in our domestic, U19 set ups and academies and give them the power to fully professionalize our cricket in the grass roots because the local Pakistani coaches have failed us very badly. But this requires an insane injection of funds which the PCB does not have.
Where are you going to bring a substantial pool of players from? The country is in dire straits, and not many households can afford to send their kid to play a sport which will only earn him enough money to sustain himself if he makes it to the top level. You don't see much street cricket aswell nowadays, and the passion really has dwindled.

Add to that, when a kid does manage to find the courage to take this difficult road to success, he is constantly facing threats of corruption at every opportunity at the grass-roots level.

All of this happens even in India, but their kids have viable opportunities to earn money through various leagues or even club cricket nowadays.

Pakistan cricket will continue to die a slow death until we revamp our cricketing structure and stop putting band-aids at the top level to look good, while waiting for the inevitability of being kicked out of the job by a new chairman before or around five years. Our kids coming up through the U-13, U-15 or U-19s are softies, protected by the corrupt system and barely play enough cricket before they graduate to the First-Class level, since there literally is no meaningful club cricket happening in the country at the moment. You need to have enough miles in you when it comes to sport, before you become good enough to compete at the highest level. No wonder these morons collapse completely when faced with just a little bit of pressure and are only able to perform when everything is going their way.

A test-playing nation without a proper defined structure for club cricket, imagine that. Our product will continue to be sub-standard unless we fix our process. We can never go the West Indies way, as there is only one sport in the country yet PCB has no idea how to think long-term and establish the required infra-structure to operate such a popular sport.

If PCB wants to continue with this patron-in-chief nonsense, then atleast let them appoint someone with a vision and do it for more than 5 years. This dramaybaazi of chairman coming in and making sweeping changes to please the crowd at the highest level will lead to nothing, as a garbage player at the First-Class will always remain a garbage level no matter how much you invest in him.

They haven't lost yet. Pakistan can still make it 1-1.

But, yeah. Wake up call definitely.

Agree. Pakistan can definitely make it 1-1 here by picking up all the 10 Bangladeshi wickets tomorrow before they reach the target of 185 runs. Unless Bangladeshi batters chase the total down before the Pakistani bowlers pick those 10 wickets.

But yeah one thing is for sure.. we'll know what the result of this Test match and series is at the end of the day's play tomorrow. That is because tomorrow is the last day and no more cricket will be played after it.

Agree. Pakistan can definitely make it 1-1 here by picking up all the 10 Bangladeshi wickets tomorrow before they reach the target of 185 runs. Unless Bangladeshi batters chase the total down before the Pakistani bowlers pick those 10 wickets.

But yeah one thing is for sure.. we'll know what the result of this Test match and series is at the end of the day's play tomorrow. That is because tomorrow is the last day and no more cricket will be played after it.
Then I see Pakistan escaping with one of the most shameful draws in cricketing history because thunderstorms will ravage Rawalpindi tomorrow.

Seems like something Azhar Mehmood will say.

Cricket is a just a mirror image of the state of the country. Obsession with India instead of developing the economy and the country as a whole has been their biggest problem.
Don't think you should be bringing in obsession with India into this when your ruling party uses Pakistan as an election plank in every election

If you think cricket is a reflection of a country then India should be a worse team than Uganda with 800 million people :poop: on the streets with less than a dollar to their name. :ROFLMAO:

I see a lot more beards in the modern Pakistan team compared with when they were a decent team.

Good observation but i would chalk that down to the evil BCCI who ordered all its players to grow minimum 1 centimeter beard length ( The captain had a different yardstick but we will not go there ). This was nothing but an evil plan to deceive the honest hard working folks in the PCB to believe that beard equals success just like debuting a teenager like TEndulkar implies automatic success ( ask Hasan Raza lol )

PS: Welcome back. Pls Check my quotes/tags :)

Her comes another indian trying to give him more importance than necessary. If you talk about the state of country no one is even talking about India there. Not a single TV channel mention India nowadays. India is only mentioned if there are some Kashmir related news or in fact when someone gives India as an example on postive note.

And before you come up with the old stuff like there are many topics on India on this forum, well remember that this forum has a huge indian following so that is quite natural.

The biggest thing is the lack of stability at the board level and that comes up with a stable govt.

If there was a stable leadership at board level than that Shaheen/Babar thing wouldn't have happened.

The teams seems to be very distorted , and can see a lot of grouping inside the team..

No one seems to any interest or motivation to play for the country with an uninspiring captain/vice-captain dropping dollies infront of everyone on the field...

even Zimbabwe or Kenya would fancy their chances against this drama boys..

Plenty of cricket left to play here. Pakistan has been a poor test team for a while now even if result becomes 1-1. Nothing to do with beard.

Moral of the story - Don't attach sports with national pride.

I made the mistake of doing so for years and years. I ended up with more misery than happiness. I came to my senses quite a few years ago.

Take it as nothing but another form of entertainment.​

Pak should sort out their structure or just give up playing cricket. Heart break after heart break isn't good for our health.

Point it,
From 2030 cricket in pakistan will be found only in History books
I sincerely hope not. That would be a real tragedy. No real cricket fan wants Pakistan to go the way of the West Indies.

I really wish Pakistan cricket would pull itself together.

I sincerely hope not. That would be a real tragedy. No real cricket fan wants Pakistan to go the way of the West Indies.

I really wish Pakistan cricket would pull itself together.

''nO rEAl cRIckEt fANs''

Get a grip dramebaaz.

You really need to update yourself. 52% of Pakistanis have no access to proper toilets where as 95% of Indian population do.

India is the 5th largest economy in the world and growing while your country...

Anyway this is the only argument you come up with, very similar to some posters who keep harping about Indian team being poor in the 90s.
Can't believe you can't distinguish trolls from genuine posters.

You really need to update yourself. 52% of Pakistanis have no access to proper toilets where as 95% of Indian population do.

India is the 5th largest economy in the world and growing while your country...

Anyway this is the only argument you come up with, very similar to some posters who keep harping about Indian team being poor in the 90s.
Where have you got these numbers from?

As a percentage it's slightly less than Pakistan's let alone at 95 %
I am surprised at the extents Indians believe such propaganda and come up with these types of numbers.

Either way whether from Pakistanis or Indians its not something that should be joked about.

I am surprised at the extents Indians believe such propaganda and come up with these types of numbers.

Either way whether from Pakistanis or Indians its not something that should be joked about. Lack of sanitation legit leads to disease and death. I hope we move on from this habit of belittling the lack of sanitation.
No propaganda. It's absolutely not an issue to joke about.

Recently there have been fewer reasons for Pakistani fans to celebrate, so some individuals resort to bringing others down to boost their own spirits. Frustration about their own identity is growing among Pakistanis. When New Zealand and England cancelled their tours in 2021, some Pakistani fans strongly supported their administration and criticized Indians, but they now feel betrayed by the establishment they once believed in. So please understand their condition and let them be happy even if they are Ponting something false.

What about the accuracy of 95% of Indians?
You can see for all countries. Population using basic sanitation services. Things are improving for the region but more progress needs to happen.

2014 data:
India - 55% Nepal - 55% Pakistan - 57% BD - 47%

2022 data:
India - 78% Nepal - 80% Pakistan - 71% BD - 59%

It all started when Khan was ousted. Everything in the country including Cricket went to regression

Kisne start kiya tha? First dish it out, when retaliation comes to bite back then play the victim card.
Retaliation for what? I don't understand your point? I am asking why are Islamophobic and threads attacking Islam are allowed in "Cricket Section"?

Does Beard aid or hinder bowling, batting or fielding? Any studies to cite either way?

I have read many hilarious comments in my 15+ years of PP life - but this one has to be among the very best. There could be many, many reasons …. but having beard one of them? Really!!

The BD team that like dominating PAK has at least 9 players with beard - in fact apart from three pacers Mahmud, Shoriful & Taskin, everyone including Liton has beard. And, last Test’s MoM Mushi can give Moeen a real fight with the length of respective beard.

Pakistan cricket is sinking for many reasons, I myself has pointed some, which probably is getting exposed every day. But, beard or not having beard doesn’t indicate anything, absolutely nothing for a country.

To me, whatever entire history of Pakistan cricket achieved over a century in an obsolete, dying English game can be balanced out by one throw of a guy named Arshad …. and he is from a bearded generation of Pakistani- so, I guess beard isn’t a problem.

As of now. for a quick fix, I think fixing the wickets, shifting focus to two innings game from 10/20 overs joke & bringing age cheating from day light robbery to pick pocketing level can solve majority of the problems.

I mean, when I think that this kid Nahid is like 6 months older than incarnation of Fred Truman aka Naseem Shah (& Hasan Mahmud a year older than prodigy Shaheen Shah) …. I guess, I need to change my scale now, which previously was in between 3 to 7 years buffer…..

Without reading the OP, I know he must be coming with excuses...just like "Do Runs against SL really counts" :ROFLMAO:

Pakistan losing to Bangladesh in a test series is a symptom that Bangladesh played better cricket and were a better team...

I mean, when I think that this kid Nahid is like 6 months older than incarnation of Fred Truman aka Naseem Shah (& Hasan Mahmud a year older than prodigy Shaheen Shah) …. I guess, I need to change my scale now, which previously was in between 3 to 7 years buffer…..
Age fudging may be playing a part because Pkaistani pacers can't bowl at decent speed after 3-4 overs.

Just got the courage to read the OP...by gawd.

How is Shadab Khan an exceptional lower order test batsman? Whatever I have seen him with the bat against India, he looked like a tailnder. Can someone confirm his test batting record and how is he an exceptional batting talent?

Pakistan need a good spinner but Shadab and Abrar are not the answers. If anything, I think they were bit early to discard Yasir Shah who I know OP is not a fan off.

I think the OP makes sense. The overall articulation and critical abilities of players has gone down dramatically over the years. In this case the nation and its cricket seem very correlated.

Just got the courage to read the OP...by gawd.

How is Shadab Khan an exceptional lower order test batsman? Whatever I have seen him with the bat against India, he looked like a tailnder. Can someone confirm his test batting record and how is he an exceptional batting talent?

Pakistan need a good spinner but Shadab and Abrar are not the answers. If anything, I think they were bit early to discard Yasir Shah who I know OP is not a fan off.
Shadab is a bits and pieces player with very limited test record. I don't think he has played more than 4-5 tests.

I think the OP makes sense. The overall articulation and critical abilities of players has gone down dramatically over the years. In this case the nation and its cricket seem very correlated.
I agree with this but not sure religion is the reason.

Its being going downhill for a while now. I don't think it has much to do with IK.
That was natural downfall progression. You could argue that it has been happening after 99 World Cup. But this rapid regression to hell was triggered only at that point.

Only if Amla and Tahir with beard played for Pakistan they would do well.

Irrespective you know things are bad when Junaids is hating on PCT.

TLDR,

Essentially Ops beloved PCT, fast bowlers and Shadab are shi*e,and Op can't blame dodgy Indians or Indian pitches

The clown continues to entertain

The ongoing travails of the Pakistan Test team at home to Bangladesh are a precise echo of the two countries' economic development.....and that bodes badly for Pakistan. Because I think there is a common cause for the malaise.

Obviously in 1971 when Pakistan split in half, Bangladesh was the half with the poor cricketers and around 20% of the wealth.

We are watching what is happening in the cricket.

Meanwhile 170 million Bangladeshis live in a $455 billion economy, with per capita GDP of $2,646.
While 242 million Pakistanis live in a $338 billion economy, with per capita GDP of $1,461.

I see a lot more beards in the modern Pakistan team compared with when they were a decent team.

But I see fast bowlers who bowl 20K slower than their parents' generation did.

Spin bowlers who aren't just worse than Abdul Qadir or Intikhab Alam. They are worse than Iqbal Qasim or Tauseef Ahmed or even Mushtaq Muhammad.

I see batsmen who can't survive a session.

I see a skipper who is a lovely guy, but who - like Azhar Ali - was appointed captain at an age where all his contemporaries outside Asia have already retired.

My sister is a microbiologist, and during the Pandemic (before mass vaccination) she commented to me that certain religious groups were taking insane risks because of a belief that God calls you to Heaven when he is ready

Generally in most countries most sportsmen aren't terribly smart or educated. And cricket academies elsewhere exist to ensure that the likes of Dave Warner learn how to think more than that they learn how to play.

But in Pakistan there is no concept of the most talented players being national treasures which have to be nurtured.

Consider Shadab Khan. By the time Mickey Arthur was first fired in 2019, he was a decent but half-developed spinner, top fielder and exceptional lower-middle order batsman. He's incapable of learning that he needs to play a lot of red ball cricket to become a reliable bowler with any colour of ball.

Pakistan fans just go "he's made bad choices, that's his problem". What they don't see is that it's actually THEIR problem. They don't have another spinner who can bat at Number 7 or 8, so in the last Test they ended up with Shaheen Afridi batting at 8!

Pakistan did fine in the 1980s because Imran Khan could actually think and make sensible decisions. They did OK in the Wasim Akram eras because he could to a certain extent.

But now they languish because the best players are allowed to make dumb decisions and then get excluded.

The second Mickey Arthur era ended with this team at Number 2 in this round of the World Test Championship. At least he could think for his team.

But now? What a mess!
Naqvi - no beard
Imran - no beard
Sharif's - no beard
Munir - no beard

The beards Babar, Shan, Shafique etc have are fashion choices imitating Kohli. Inzi and Yousuf had some of the biggest beards and they performed fine. So it's nothing to do with that.
But Shadab an exceptional batting talent.. this is the most hilarious thing I have read during my time on PP so far

Age fudging may be playing a part because Pkaistani pacers can't bowl at decent speed after 3-4 overs.
Lack of stamina is indeed an issue, but that’s more to do with conditioning rather than age fudging. You see, even if a player is biologically 29, pretends to be 23, still stamina shouldn’t be an issue - in fact I have seen players at 35 or 38 having much better stamina than PAK pacers in their official early 20s. Take Mo Shami of India, Anderson of England or Styen of SAF.

The real problem of age fudging is that it gives a false hope - it gives a wrong estimate of a players capability or celling. If a player of biological age of 23, pretends to be 17/18, means your expectation is that that player will develop/mature over the next 4-5 years further when actually that player has probably already reached his peak and end of learning curve.

For example, first time I saw Wasim Akram was January 1985, when he was 18 and at MCG took 5/21 against Australia - myself being a kid hardly had any clue but heard my cousins & uncles discussing that they haven’t seen someone teenager as good as that lanky kid & indeed he was.

Now, to be honest for 16/17/18 years old kids Naseem, Musa or Shaheen were indeed absolute phenomenal - you can hope for a Styen, Marshall & Akram in making & indeed can boast in social media for possessing one of the best ever pace attacks in history by next 5/6 years time….

Not so, if these teen age prodigies are born as already 5/6/7/8 years old kids at birth - and that’s exactly what’s happening.

Lack of stamina is indeed an issue, but that’s more to do with conditioning rather than age fudging. You see, even if a player is biologically 29, pretends to be 23, still stamina shouldn’t be an issue - in fact I have seen players at 35 or 38 having much better stamina than PAK pacers in their official early 20s. Take Mo Shami of India, Anderson of England or Styen of SAF.

The real problem of age fudging is that it gives a false hope - it gives a wrong estimate of a players capability or celling. If a player of biological age of 23, pretends to be 17/18, means your expectation is that that player will develop/mature over the next 4-5 years further when actually that player has probably already reached his peak and end of learning curve.

For example, first time I saw Wasim Akram was January 1985, when he was 18 and at MCG took 5/21 against Australia - myself being a kid hardly had any clue but heard my cousins & uncles discussing that they haven’t seen someone teenager as good as that lanky kid & indeed he was.

Now, to be honest for 16/17/18 years old kids Naseem, Musa or Shaheen were indeed absolute phenomenal - you can hope for a Styen, Marshall & Akram in making & indeed can boast in social media for possessing one of the best ever pace attacks in history by next 5/6 years time….

Not so, if these teen age prodigies are born as already 5/6/7/8 years old kids at birth - and that’s exactly what’s happening.

A Pakistani sports journalist is claiming that Cliff Deacon gives false reports about the players fitness to the team management i.e. he hides the fact that players are carrying minor niggles, injuries under pressure from the players. Gillespie has apparently discovered this when he was trying to figure out why the likes of Shaheen and Naseem were severely down on pace in the first test match.

I thought it should be less of issue in current era due to early documentation. 5-8 years of age fudging should be easily caught when playing under 19 or under 17. I am not sure how much it's an issue right now. I was just speculating.

Look on the bright side, all teams go on to become champions after losing against BD.

Pakistan is hitting another low in cricket. Losing to Zimbabwe, Afghanistan, USA and now losing at home against BANGLADESH.

How low can this team go??? Losing to UGANDA or KENYA???

Very reductive argument that doesn't have alot of legs.

The simple reason is that Pakistani players lack skills and mental toughness. We're just not good enough, It has nothing to do with whatever grand, overarching narrative you're trying to concoct here.
It's simplistic, reductive arguments which can never withstand any sane counter argument.

That is the major reason for Pakistani players never living up to potential. Due to age fudging everyone assumes the youngsters have time to learn and wrongly assume higher ceiling, whereas in reality those frauds have already reached their learning peak and are unlikely to improve much as far as basics are considered. Shaheen, Naseem, Arbrar, shaffiq, even Babar and more suffer from this same issuenn

I am not a religious man but I don't really understand your arguments here. Alot of men keeps beard these days cause that's the trend (apart from the ugly beard for religious purposes). You started your argument with GDP and quickly went to Religion and then x y z player does not play well. Not a well thought argument ... It's all over the place and hard to understand your actual pov

I am not a religious man but I don't really understand your arguments here. Alot of men keeps beard these days cause that's the trend (apart from the ugly beard for religious purposes). You started your argument with GDP and quickly went to Religion and then x y z player does not play well. Not a well thought argument ... It's all over the place and hard to understand your actual pov
That's because there is no point, no arguments presented with well thought out points

So let’s see, Junaids mentioned the following reasons for Pak losing to Bangladesh on home soil

1. GDP is low
2. They are growing more beards
3. They are taking insane risks because of their belief in God (?)
4. Cricketers are not being educated/nurtured enough even if they are national treasures (!)
5. Nobody is taking sensible decisions on behalf of the cricketers

What Junaids actually intended to say-
1. Height of pace bowlers
2. Pace is pace yaar
3. How Shadab khan was shortchanged
4. Bring back Umar Akmal!

And as usual, nothing about issues related to grassroot cricket pr lack of skill & temperament in players.

We never dominated cricket like Hockey or Squash apart from 98/99 season where we probably had a legendary team which gelled well as well but for most of the history we were hovering around in ranking from no.4 to no.6 and that due to we always had 3/4 players who are as good as the top teams best players supported by a cluster of average to decent players and on their day Pak had the ability to upset the top teams infact destroying them as well, the problem now is that we no longer have those 3/4 Worldclass players who are as good as the top 3 teams best players and as a result our team has sink to probably no.7/8 position in terms of real ranking. According to law of average we are near in unearthing couple of world-class players again to accompany Babar and Riz who are the closest worldclass players we have right now.

Nothing to do with system and nepotism as we always had that problem , this time the problem is that we simply don't have worldclass talented players which we used to get randomly.

What non sense , what beard/religion has got to do with downfall of Pakistan cricket -- these liberals just wait for every opportunity to take a shot at religion.

Pakistan cricket downfall is due to corrupt system -- We were doing well in the past just because of individual talent -

Corrupt system/ lazy generation/ super star mentality/ favouritism etc., -- these are the reasons and not beard.

There was a time when Pakistan used to defend small targets in test matches, Chennai & Kolkata tests in 1999 against India, 1998 Durban test against SA, 2005 Multan test against Eng, 2016 Lords Test against Eng and many others. Now, the bowling has become so pathetic that even Bangladesh is playing aggressively and scoring easy runs. Fast bowlers don't have pace, swing, control, fitness, smartness and spinners have no variation or turn. The bowlers have simply become ball throwing machine. What is the reason for such a downfall in bowling that bowlers have completely lost an art of taking wickets?

Back