Pakistan Squad for Ireland & England T20Is announced

Have Pakistan chosen the right squad for Ireland & England T20Is?

• Total voters

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Pakistan name 18-player squad for Ireland and England & Wales

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) today announced its 18-player squad for the upcoming T20I series against Ireland (10-14 May) and England & Wales (22-30 May). The squad will be reduced to 15 players for next month’s ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 after the first T20I at Leeds on 22 May to meet the ICC’s 24 May deadline.

The men’s national selection committee has recalled fast bowler Haris Rauf, along with all-rounders Hasan Ali and Salman Ali Agha, in the 18-player squad. The two cricketers who did not make the cut from the original 17-player squad that faced New Zealand are wrist spinner Usama Mir and fast bowler Zaman Khan.

Pakistan squad for Ireland and England & Wales is:

Babar Azam (captain)

Abrar Ahmed

Azam Khan

Fakhar Zaman

Haris Rauf

Hasan Ali

Iftikhar Ahmed

Imad Wasim

Mohammad Abbas Afridi

Mohammad Amir

Mohammad Rizwan

Muhammad Irfan Khan

Naseem Shah

Saim Ayub

Salman Ali Agha

Shadab Khan

Shaheen Shah Afridi

Usman Khan

Haris Rauf and wicketkeeper/batter Azam Khan were sidelined for the New Zealand T20Is due to injuries, while middle-order batter Mohammad Muhammad Irfan Khan and wicketkeeper/batter Mohammad Rizwan were rested from the two T20Is in Lahore due to niggles.

The four cricketers underwent fitness assessments at the National Cricket Academy on Tuesday afternoon, showing significant improvement. This progress has provided confidence and encouragement to the PCB Medical Panel and the team management regarding their potential availability during the seven T20Is.

Salman Ali Agha has established himself as a versatile cricketer, proficient in aggressive middle-order batting and off-spin bowling. His inclusion bolsters Pakistan's spin department alongside Abrar Ahmed, Iftikhar Ahmed, Imad Wasim and Shadab Khan.

Hasan Ali's selection is attributed to his extensive experience, having featured in 50 T20Is and excelling in bilateral series and ICC Events. His impressive performance in the HBL Pakistan Super League 2024, where he claimed 14 wickets, further underlined his credentials. Currently representing Warwickshire in the English County Championship, Hasan adds depth to Pakistan’s bowling arsenal.

Men’s National Selection Committee quotes:

“Crafting this squad was a challenging task due to the outstanding talent available. After thorough deliberation and considering various cricketing aspects, we have finalised these 18 players.

“The squad encompasses a robust top-order featuring Babar Azam, Fakhar Zaman, Mohammad Rizwan, Saim Ayub, and Usman Khan; an effective middle-order with Azam Khan, Iftikhar Ahmed and Mohammad Muhammad Irfan Khan; versatile all-rounders in Imad Wasim, Shadab Khan and Salman Ali Agha; a pace battery led by Mohammad Abbas Afridi, Mohammad Amir, Naseem Shah, Haris Rauf, Hasan Ali and Shaheen Shah Afridi; and the spin prowess of Abrar Ahmed.

“We understand Usama and Zaman will be disappointed and they should be as they must be looking ahead to the tours of Ireland and England. They are quality cricketers and have long careers ahead of them. They need to continue to focus on their cricket so that they are available, if required.”

The team is scheduled to depart for Dublin on 7 May following a three-day training camp in Lahore from 4-6 May.

Schedule of matches:

10 May – v Ireland, 1st T20I, Dublin

12 May – v Ireland, 2nd T20, Dublin

14 May – v Ireland, 3rd T20I, Dublin

22 May – v England, 1st T20I, Leeds

25 May – v England, 2nd T20I, Birmingham

28 May – v England 3rd T20I, Cardiff

30 May – v England, 4th T20I, The Oval

PCB

xlnzF1H.jpeg

Last edited:
Iftikhar has no business in team if you have niazi and azam . Similarly Agha for what . When your middle order is occupied by Fakhar and usman . Where will Agha bat at 6? Lol

Poll added guys.

I think Hassan Ali's selection makes no sense. This is the worst time to select a bullet that is already burnt. Why is he here? Why usama mir was dropped?

Hassan Ali?!?!

What the hell has that trash done?

M. Ali far more deserving.

Why was Usama dropped?

Hassan Ali?!?!

What the hell has that trash done?

M. Ali far more deserving.

Why was Usama dropped?
According to the selection committee, he is selected as a potential replacement for Haris rauf if he is not fit for World cup.

My my.

we have seen this before as well. LOL

As i said before talentless country we have unfortunately..same old washed players. I cant believe Amir is being considered he is finished so is imad wasim just because you play well last two matches of the PSL should not be the criteria.

Sad Sad squad i am afraid.

Squad is as good as you can get from players experienced enough to goto world cup apart from Hasan Ali and Iftikhar. Azim Khan also does not deserve selection as he has done nothing at international in all opportunities given, and would be liability for running between wickets. Usama and Haris justifiably do not make squad. Agha is a good inclusion as he is a dynamic player and can support with bowling. Usman will be hit and miss, so Agha can replace him but bat in lower order with Rizwan or Babar at 3 and Fakhar at 4.

King karlega. Call the captain king and you will never lose your place in the team! :)

Hassan Ali selected over Muhammad Ali, Aamir Jamal and Muhammad Wasim. King definitely did it this time. No matter what happens, Hassan getting selected for worldcups under Bobsy the king is constant.

I am lost for words.

Glad to see usama mir getting dropped, great decision.

Looks like they want to bank on Azam Khan based on CPL, since they so badly want it, let it be. If Azam fails i dont think he is and should be ever selected again.

Players like Farhan, Muhammad Ali get no chances. They can rot in the domestics.

Poll added guys.

I think Hassan Ali's selection makes no sense. This is the worst time to select a bullet that is already burnt. Why is he here? Why usama mir was dropped?

Hasan Ali's inclusion only means one thing. One of your main pacers is either not fit enough or PCB is not sure if they are as ready as initially thought.

Hasan was replacement for Naseem at the World Cup.

And Naseem didn't play the full T20I series against NZ.

Hasan Ali is such a random selection.

I guess this means Zaman, Usama, Haris and Sahibzara Farhan are not going to be part of the reserves.

Agha, Hasan and probably Azam Khan to go in the reserves.

So let me get this straight, you already have competition for fast bowling line up, you have in form guys who have impressed like mohd ali from multan's team, you have an experienced youngster in mohd waseem, but you go and pick Hasan Ali?????

When will we be rid of this guy, he always comes just back in time for the WC. :facepalm:

Hasan Ali's inclusion only means one thing. One of your main pacers is either not fit enough or PCB is not sure if they are as ready as initially thought.

Not too confident against you guys with this team and squad. I guess you can record an almost victory for your team in new york already.

So let me get this straight, you already have competition for fast bowling line up, you have in form guys who have impressed like mohd ali from multan's team, you have an experienced youngster in mohd waseem, but you go and pick Hasan Ali?????

When will we be rid of this guy, he always comes just back in time for the WC. :facepalm:
Why do you think thats the case? :ba

Not too confident against you guys with this team and squad. I guess you can record an almost victory for your team in new york already.
Out of interest , with which Pakistani squad would you have confidence to beat us?

Hasan is selected as back-up for Haris, who is not fit at the moment.

Naseem is fit, so is everyone else for now.

Haris Rauf and Muhammad Rizwan are the main injury woes for Pakistan at the moment, and the back-ups are selected accordingly.

The one that does not have Babar, Rizwan Hasan Ali and Haris Rauf

This is an 18 man squad with 6 fast bowlers.

2 quicks and 1 batter will be in reserves . Hasan will be in reserves mostly as cover for fragile, injury prone Naseem.

Don't think Hasan will start.

Hasan is selected as back-up for Haris, who is not fit at the moment.

Naseem is fit, so is everyone else for now.

Haris Rauf and Muhammad Rizwan are the main injury woes for Pakistan at the moment, and the back-ups are selected accordingly.
Azhar Mahmood already mentioned that Abbas Afridi is back up for Haris

Why do you think thats the case? :ba
honestly laughable, when was the last time Hasan Ali was decent in the shorter format on intl stage? 2017 ?

That is 7 years ago! 7!

Other teams are evolving their play styles, and pakistan is stuck with their favourite word of all time which is experience.

You already brought back Amir, Imad. Then you have Rauf, Shaheen and Naseem, which one of these guys is a youngster in terms of experience?

So Babar as usual brought his friend Hasan Ali. He will also bring Nawaz to replace Imad/Abrar. Babar has same attitude like 2023 World Cup campaign. He still doesn't change a bit. Azam Khan got selected because he has a powerful Father. Rauf the run machine also keep getting selected. Ifti is another useless selection.
If I was Garry Kristen I would not be a coach to ruin my reputation. Feel sorry for him.

Pakistan name 18-player squad for Ireland and England & Wales

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) today announced its 18-player squad for the upcoming T20I series against Ireland (10-14 May) and England & Wales (22-30 May). The squad will be reduced to 15 players for next month’s ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 after the first T20I at Leeds on 22 May to meet the ICC’s 24 May deadline.

The men’s national selection committee has recalled fast bowler Haris Rauf, along with all-rounders Hasan Ali and Salman Ali Agha, in the 18-player squad. The two cricketers who did not make the cut from the original 17-player squad that faced New Zealand are wrist spinner Usama Mir and fast bowler Zaman Khan.

Pakistan squad for Ireland and England & Wales is:

Babar Azam (captain)

Abrar Ahmed

Azam Khan

Fakhar Zaman

Haris Rauf

Hasan Ali

Iftikhar Ahmed

Imad Wasim

Mohammad Abbas Afridi

Mohammad Amir

Mohammad Rizwan

Muhammad Irfan Khan

Naseem Shah

Saim Ayub

Salman Ali Agha

Shadab Khan

Shaheen Shah Afridi

Usman Khan

Haris Rauf and wicketkeeper/batter Azam Khan were sidelined for the New Zealand T20Is due to injuries, while middle-order batter Mohammad Muhammad Irfan Khan and wicketkeeper/batter Mohammad Rizwan were rested from the two T20Is in Lahore due to niggles.

The four cricketers underwent fitness assessments at the National Cricket Academy on Tuesday afternoon, showing significant improvement. This progress has provided confidence and encouragement to the PCB Medical Panel and the team management regarding their potential availability during the seven T20Is.

Salman Ali Agha has established himself as a versatile cricketer, proficient in aggressive middle-order batting and off-spin bowling. His inclusion bolsters Pakistan's spin department alongside Abrar Ahmed, Iftikhar Ahmed, Imad Wasim and Shadab Khan.

Hasan Ali's selection is attributed to his extensive experience, having featured in 50 T20Is and excelling in bilateral series and ICC Events. His impressive performance in the HBL Pakistan Super League 2024, where he claimed 14 wickets, further underlined his credentials. Currently representing Warwickshire in the English County Championship, Hasan adds depth to Pakistan’s bowling arsenal.

Men’s National Selection Committee quotes:

“Crafting this squad was a challenging task due to the outstanding talent available. After thorough deliberation and considering various cricketing aspects, we have finalised these 18 players.

“The squad encompasses a robust top-order featuring Babar Azam, Fakhar Zaman, Mohammad Rizwan, Saim Ayub, and Usman Khan; an effective middle-order with Azam Khan, Iftikhar Ahmed and Mohammad Muhammad Irfan Khan; versatile all-rounders in Imad Wasim, Shadab Khan and Salman Ali Agha; a pace battery led by Mohammad Abbas Afridi, Mohammad Amir, Naseem Shah, Haris Rauf, Hasan Ali and Shaheen Shah Afridi; and the spin prowess of Abrar Ahmed.

“We understand Usama and Zaman will be disappointed and they should be as they must be looking ahead to the tours of Ireland and England. They are quality cricketers and have long careers ahead of them. They need to continue to focus on their cricket so that they are available, if required.”

The team is scheduled to depart for Dublin on 7 May following a three-day training camp in Lahore from 4-6 May.

Schedule of matches:

10 May – v Ireland, 1st T20I, Dublin

12 May – v Ireland, 2nd T20, Dublin

14 May – v Ireland, 3rd T20I, Dublin

22 May – v England, 1st T20I, Leeds

25 May – v England, 2nd T20I, Birmingham

28 May – v England 3rd T20I, Cardiff

30 May – v England, 4th T20I, The Oval

PCB

xlnzF1H.jpeg
A deserving guy like Zaman Khan or Mohammad Wasim Jr dropped in the name of experience. Makes sense.

This Hasan has a great connection to be selected again and again that's why we don't win cups at all. If he has any dignity he should retire but money is too good for him.

Azhar Mahmood already mentioned that Abbas Afridi is back up for Haris
Please go and watch the press conference from the selectors.

I’m not sure why you are getting off with Naseem being injured, but Hasan is a back-up for Haris. It was categorically mentioned and supersedes anything Azhar might have said earlier.

A deserving guy like Zaman Khan or Mohammad Wasim Jr dropped in the name of experience. Makes sense.
Zaman Khan, no. Not international level, barely league cricket level. Has zero skill besides bowling 1 or 2 yorkers here and there.

Mohammad Wasim Jnr, most definitely hard done by. Doesn’t deserve to be dropped for a random rubbish bowler like Hasan.

Expect

1. Babar
2. Rizwan (WK)
3. Fakhar
4. Salman
5. Iftikhar
6. Shadab
7. Imad
8. Shaheen
9. Naseem
10. Amir
11. Hasan

I’m not sure why you are getting off with Naseem being injured, but Hasan is a back-up for Haris. It was categorically mentioned and supersedes anything Azhar might have said earlier.
Still!!! How on earth this guy keep getting selected again and again and flop whole tournament?

Zaman Khan, no. Not international level, barely league cricket level. Has zero skill besides bowling 1 or 2 yorkers here and there.

Mohammad Wasim Jnr, most definitely hard done by. Doesn’t deserve to be dropped for a random rubbish bowler like Hasan.
🤡

Ah yes. Experience is what we need. Shaheen (Experience), Haris (Experience), Amir (Experience), Imad (Experience). Why aren't we bringing more experience in form of Shehzad, Umar Akmal, Yasir Shah, Sohail Khan and Shoaib Malik?

🤡

Ah yes. Experience is what we need. Shaheen (Experience), Haris (Experience), Amir (Experience), Imad (Experience). Why aren't we bringing more experience in form of Shehzad, Umar Akmal, Yasir Shah, Sohail Khan and Shoaib Malik?
You forgot Nawaz (Babar's buddy)

Wow. That's a terrible decision then if it means they are going to sideline Abbas Afridi.

I mean for the World Cup.

If Haris is not fit, they will pick Naseem, Amir, Hasan and Shaheen.
I think Abbas will still make it as the fifth seamer.

If anything, Usama has missed out for five pacers in the squad. I would ideally have picked both Abrar and Usama, and played one according to form.

Abbas is going for a vacation anyway, so is Hasan.

I think Abbas will still make it as the fifth seamer.

If anything, Usama has missed out for five pacers in the squad. I would ideally have picked both Abrar and Usama, and played one according to form.

Abbas is going for a vacation anyway, so is Hasan.
I would've kept Usama in reserves as we have Iftikhar, Saim, Imad, Shadab and Abrar who can bowl spin.

I got the feelings Kristen will be scapegoat to save Babar and his friends.

Too many seamers

At some point, you will play 2 seamers and 3 spinners in your XI during the World Cup.

Usama Mir should have been there instead of Hassan Ali

Too many seamers

At some point, you will play 2 seamers and 3 spinners in your XI during the World Cup.

Usama Mir should have been there instead of Hassan Ali
How does hasan Ali keep finding his way back in?

I would've kept Usama in reserves as we have Iftikhar, Saim, Imad, Shadab and Abrar who can bowl spin.
Same here. Fifth seamer is an unnecessary addition. I doubt even Haris will get to play, as in the Windies you can only play three pacers at maximum.

How does hasan Ali keep finding his way back in?
He’s part of their friend’s clique. I had a feeling he was going to sneak through during the PSL when Ramiz was hyping him up as a potential all-rounder during commentary

Babar
Rizwan
Rameez
Shadab etc

They are all one group scratching each other’s backs.

This will be the default playing 11 for WC 24

The experiment and the trying combination that was done was similar to sending young team to play Afghanistan.

Babar Azam (captain)
Rizwan Ahmed
Fakhar Zaman
Irfan khan niazi
Shadab khan
Iftikhar Ahmed
Salman agha
* this space is empty for muhammed nawaz
Hasan ali
Naseem shah
Shaheen afridi

Is Abbas Afridi a better choice than Mohammad Ali? Does this mean we're reverting to favoritism? We are not selecting players based on performance in domestic cricket, but now are we no longer selecting players based on performance even in the PSL?

Is Abbas Afridi a better choice than Mohammad Ali? Does this mean we're reverting to favoritism? We are not selecting players based on performance in domestic cricket, but now are we no longer selecting players based on performance even in the PSL?
Yes Abbas Afridi is a better choice than Ali. He’s a good T20 bowler.

Yes Abbas Afridi is a better choice than Ali. He’s a good T20 bowler.
What's wrong with Ali? Just asking btw, I disagree because I saw Ali bowl in psl, but I'm probably missing something if you've noticed it.

Imo afridi is terrible at PP but decent when it comes to bowling outside the PP and the death. He has pace while shaheen doesn't

What's wrong with Ali? Just asking btw, I disagree because I saw Ali bowl in psl, but I'm probably missing something if you've noticed it.

Imo afridi is terrible at PP but decent when it comes to bowling outside the PP and the death. He has pace while shaheen doesn't
Nothing wrong with Ali. Just not good enough when you have Shaheen, Naseem and Rauf who are all quicker than him. They have the advantage with Pace whilst being one dimensional bowlers. Amir understood that once pace isn’t his ally, he can only survive as a T20 bowler with variations and angles.

Ali most likely will get taken down by world elite batters. But so can anyone to be fair.

Abbas adds something different. He bowls two or three types of slower balls, not the easiest to pick either. And he can follow it up with a 140+ yorker at the toes. The guy is a Tom Curran, Chris Jordan type bowler. They add some variety and flavour to your attack which will be very one dimensional if you just pick conventional seamers.

Overall this is a good squad.

Hasan Ali is a back up if Rauf isn't fit due to his experience but I would of gone for Wasim jr with his pace and his striking ability with the Bat.

Salman Ali s selection is a smart one which I have called for myself.

This Hasan has a great connection to be selected again and again that's why we don't win cups at all. If he has any dignity he should retire but money is too good for him.
Hasan is a back for Rauf if he is unfit.

But more than likely he will be fit according to Wahab.

Chill guys this is 18 men squad and WC squad is yet to be announced. WC squad can only be of 15 for sure we are not going to see hasan ali there.

Babar is the strongest captain in the history of Pakistan cricket. He can choose or drop anyone he wants and get away with this. M Nawaz is next in like. He knows he will not be sacked even after first round exit. Kristen will be an easy target to cover the failure

Usama is one dimensional where as Abrar offers mystery spin which is why he was selected as stated by Yousuf at the presser.
In the Windies you need more spinners.

No point picking the trash hassan ali.

So nothing can justify that stupid decision.

Can we have a list of players that should have been there or have been left out?

Who else would you pick?

Apart from Hassan everyone else was essentially already picked.
I would not pick half of this team

Saim
Iftikhar
Hasan Ali
Rauf
Azam Khan
Irfan Niazi
Abbass Afridi
Usman

There are plenty of options if we remove the hypocrisy hat.

In the Windies you need more spinners.

No point picking the trash hassan ali.

So nothing can justify that stupid decision.
Hasan wont be going anyway because Rauf will be fit.

I don't know why the supporters are getting hyped up when the First choice trio will be Shaheen , Naseem and Amir.

Rauf will probably join them in a 4 man attack in NY.

We already have enough spin options with Saim, Shadab, Imad, Abrar, Ifti and possibly Salman Ali as well to bowl a max of 8 - 10 overs depending on a particular match situation.

The U S tracks will be imported from Aus in the form of drop in pitches which require Pace.

If they drop Hasan Ali, Azam Khan and Usman Khan from this squad, I would be happy with it as the World Cup squad.

Hasan wont be going anyway because Rauf will be fit.

I don't know why the supporters are getting hyped up when the First choice trio will be Shaheen , Naseem and Amir.

Rauf will probably join them in a 4 man attack in NY.

We already have enough spin options with Saim, Shadab, Imad, Abrar, Ifti and possibly Salman Ali as well to bowl a max of 8 - 10 overs depending on a particular match situation.

The U S tracks will be imported from Aus in the form of drop in pitches which require Pace.
Why should hassan even be a backup?

You're not understanding this key point!

Naseem is injury prone and we don't know about Rauf.

Both M. Ali and Abbas are better than him.

If they wanted an A/R then why not Jamal?

Btw, Usama is a better bowler than Shadab right now and the other spin options.

Back