Pakistan v England | Womens World Cup | Sydney | 11/3/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercenary

Senior ODI Player
Runs
During her interview with PakPassion.Net, this is what the captain of Pakistan's womens team had to say...
Urooj Mumtaz: What's sad though is when you come across people who don't support you, they arent against you but neither do they encourage or support you. Their attitude is just like 'Oh a Womens team' and that's it. We are the national team of Pakistan and we should be just as important as the men are. We're not asking for the same level of finances or facilities that the men have but at the very least we should have half the level of media coverage that the men's team gets. It's sad that fewer people have heard of us in Pakistan than those that know of us abroad!
Now here at PakPassion.Net we are the number one website for Pakistani cricket fans, so why dont we get together and take some time out to support our girls?

Let's follow this match like we do all the men's matches and watch it live on TV (where it's available) or on Cricinfo.

The match will be shown live in the UK on Sky Sports 1, it will begin at 11pm UK time. If you know what time and channels are showing it in other countries then please share the info!

Let's show the women's team that we appreciate all the hard work they do (for next to no financial reward) and that all their struggle to represent the nation isn't going unnoticed.

I'm dedicating myself to watch as much of this game as I can and will stay up till at least 2am to watch it.

Oxy has promised to join me but what about the rest of you? Shall we show our girls that we're proud of them reaching the World Cup finals for the first time.

Let's get together and cheer them towards qualification for the super sixes which is something the mens team hasnt done for the last two World Cups!!

This thread is for cheering not jeering or leering.

If you can't act respectful then just dont post because your post will be deleted and persistent offenders will be subject to the usual PP Policy.

These are your Pakistani sisters so no unsavoury comments etc, just keep the comments about cricket!!

I have been following their games... The India one was pretty bad but we PWNED Sri Lanka. I hope we give England a run for their money. It's sad that these women don't get respect like the men do. Although I am sure our fans would appreciate them more if they won more often.

Canadians should check CricketPlus/ATN schedule and timing will be good (starts in evening EST). They are showing few matches.

BTW: who is showing it in Pakistan?

Last edited:
To put things into perspective, the game tomorrow will be the equivalent of Kenya trying to beat Australia or South Africa.

England is consistently one of the top two teams in womens cricket whilst Pakistan is one spot off the bottom.

Below is a table of the women's league over the last 3 years (Jan 2006 to present)...

Code:
[b]W/L	Ms	Won	Loss	N/R	Team[/b]

2.63	40	 29	 11	 0	[b]Australian Women[/b]
1.91	39	 23	 12	 4	[b]England Women[/b]
1.83	18	 11	  6	 1	[b]South African Women[/b]
1.80	15	  9	  5	 1	[b]West Indies Women[/b]
1.00	43	 21	 21	 1	[b]New Zealand Women[/b]
0.83	22	 10	 12	 0	[b]Sri Lanakan Women[/b]
0.80	47	 20	 25	 2	[b]Indian Women[/b]
0.57	11	  4	  7	 0	[b]Sri Lankan Women[/b]
[COLOR=Green]0.16	22	  3	 18	 1	[b]Pakistani Women[/b][/COLOR]
0.00	13	  0	 13	 0	[b]Netherlands Women[/b]
...as you can see it would be a huge, huge upset for Pakistan to beat England.

Unlike the teams at the top of the league, our womens team doesnt have a professional domestic cricket structure or even good support from the PCB. They havent even played against England, Australia or the Windies in the last 3 years. Teams improve by playing the best and our team never gets that chance.

Tomorrow we'll be cheering them on to put up a good fight because a win (altho I'm hoping for an upset) will be nothing short of a miracle!

I haven't seen this much anticipation for a men's match, commentary thread 23 hours before the start.

On_the_up said:
I haven't seen this much anticipation for a men's match, commentary thread 23 hours before the start.

No-one needs any encouragement to watch a men's match because they're the reason this site is here in the first place

Don´t worry Urooj baji, we are with you:19:!

Mercenary said:
During her interview with PakPassion.Net, this is what the captain of Pakistan's womens team had to say...

Now here at PakPassion.Net we are the number one website for Pakistani cricket fans, so why dont we get together and take some time out to support our girls?

Let's follow this match like we do all the men's matches and watch it live on TV (where it's available) or on Cricinfo.

The match will be shown live in the UK on Sky Sports 1, it will begin at 11pm UK time. If you know what time and channels are showing it in other countries then please share the info!

Let's show the women's team that we appreciate all the hard work they do (for next to no financial reward) and that all their struggle to represent the nation isn't going unnoticed.

I'm dedicating myself to watch as much of this game as I can and will stay up till at least 2am to watch it.

Oxy has promised to join me but what about the rest of you? Shall we show our girls that we're proud of them reaching the World Cup finals for the first time.

Let's get together and cheer them towards qualification for the super sixes which is something the mens team hasnt done for the last two World Cups!!

count me in

Reaction to the support of the Pakistani womens cricket team and all other womens teams in Pakistan sorts the narcisists and sexists from the other mature fans.

Of course the team might not play as well as the mens, but one should still give full support without resorting to crude stereotypes and deeply unpleasant chauvanistic attitudes.

And if you dont have anything nice/constructive to say it reflects on you.

Definately appreciate PakPassions sicere efforts (Merc and co. - especially succinctly summarising the task at hand - maybe tell us a bit about the players?) and this coverage makes me proud to be part of PakPassion - Keep it up!

Good Luck to the ladies

My wife thinks I have an ulterior motive in wanting to watch this.

In fact, she may even try to prevent me from watching!

I'm trying to support them - she has been mocking them!

Oxy said:

:))) :))) :)))

I am looking forward to it. Luckily I have no school tomorrow so will watch untill my dad wakes up in the middle of the night and turns off the computer :p

Pakistan Zindabad!

Oxy said:

somebody is jealous?? :13:

I think tuning is not enough support..how will that show anything.

I think people should e-mail into the show and their support!

Pakistan Women vs England Women

I am very looking forward to watch this. Just saw New Zealand vs Australia but not entirely. It was fine match indeed. Surely i must have taken snap but this Pakistan, whether a men team or women team, is always there to provide anyhow of entertaining, such passion i see on Pakistan cricketers than any cricketers. Bring it on - Pakistan Women Team

It would be on ATN - CricketPlus (Canadian Cricket Channel). Rogers with providing free preview of both feed - CBN and CricketPlus. Good news for Canadian especially Rogers subscribers.

I would try to run the commentatory little bit to keep this thread alive.

Can the experts (ahem) please set the scene for us novices, i.e. who are the players to look out for, Bats(wo)men, bowlers and who their style is similar to? as far as the men game is concerned.

On_the_up said:
Can the experts (ahem) please set the scene for us novices, i.e. who are the players to look out for, Bats(wo)men, bowlers and who their style is similar to? as far as the men game is concerned.

Every single player is a better batsman than bhanja

not that that puts any perspective on it.....

On_the_up said:

None of us know much, I dont think any of us have seen them play before. Here's the squad...

http://content.cricinfo.com/wwc2009/content/squad/386196.html

Based on my interview with Urooj here's what I know.

Urooj Mumtaz She's a legspinning all-rounder and the captain. However she has not bowled in any of the World Cup games so far so perhaps she's carrying an injury.

Asmavia Iqbal - She's Shoaib Akhtar's biggest fan and the fastest bowler in the women's team.

Qanita Jalil - She's the sister of Habib Bank's Nasir Jalil and is the other half of Pakistan's opening fast bowling attack. Apparently she's also an Afridi-esque big hitter.

Other than that (based on the opening games scorecards) you have...

Sana Mir - With 39 runs to her name runs she's the leading run scorer for Pakistan so far.

Nain Abidi - She's an opening bat and is only two runs short of Sana in the tournament so far.

That's it so far. I'm sure we'll know a lot more after the game.

BTW the Pakistan womens team is just like the mens team. Strong bowling but very weak batting!!

I think the girls should bowl first. i think there problem is that they dont know how to go about setting a score.

The bowling is their strength so they should see how much they can restrict England to and back themselves for the chase.

I'll be watching!

Come on ladies!

Cricinfo is not updating their "Live Scorecard". Is there another source to follow live commentary? Thanks.

I think it was a good decision to bat first. They'll try to bat through the innings.

I will be supporting or baji's also today for a few minutes :)

PAK 4-0 after 2 overs

Good four by left hander Bismah Mahroof, guided through the slips off the edge of the bat

4 through third man

why would they have a third man in a womens match :13:

to be honest I did not predict such a good start :)
lets hope we do not collapse :(
still trying to find a way to watch the game :p

The male commentator is talking about hair styles, the woman sounds annoyed! A bit patronising

My wife watched 2 overs with me - couldnt stop laughing.

If the women dont take the women seriously....

Who says the Pak women cant compete with their male counterparts...terrible running between the wkts!

mashalla the girls are playing well and seem to be rotating the strike pretty well.

if they can bat there full quota, they may get near 200, which will be a decent score against one of the top teams.

the left hander looks a good player, good technique. but seems from the inzi school of running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back