Pakistan vs Bangladesh | 1st Test | Rawalpindi | August 21-25 | Pre-Match Discussion

Who will win the 1st Test match between Pakistan and Bangladesh?

• Bangladesh will win

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Considering it's a green pitch they are rolling out, my guess is this will be more like Pindi pitches we saw vs SA than the roads vs Aus/Eng.
Roads were because of ramiz raja and his beloved babar azam, now I don't think we will same wickets again.

Why have no batting, bowling and fielding coaches been announced by PCB for this series? @Saj any idea?
since the new coaching setup has been announced, we dont know who our batting, bowling and foelding coaches, across formats? We only know, head coaches, assistant coach, and now Tim Nielsen as red ball high performance coach.. whats the latest update on it?

Agha has been nothing but brilliant whenever he has played for Pakistan. The claim that he is not international material is completely unfounded considering how he has performed so far.

And players don't become international material overnight. Conventional wisdom and common sense dictates that you give national team opportunities to players that do well in domestic cricket. All of the names you mentioned have done that and earned their place in the squad. It's easy to talk in truisms...any half-wit can come up with those. But it requires intelligence and thought to come up with solutions. Considering you care enough about Pakistan cricket to come here and comment on it, maybe you can offer some solution, or alternatives to the players you think "aren't international material."
Yes i do care about Pak Cricket and thus my observations. You need common sense before you start looking at cricketing reasons. Lets see where Agha takes us i know he has done reasonably well so far but he doesnt even average 40 in first class am i right ?

Aamir Jamal released from Test squad

Right-arm fast bowler Aamir Jamal has been released from the Test squad ahead of the series against Bangladesh. Aamir, who was earlier included in the squad subject to fitness clearance, has been advised to work on his fitness at the National Cricket Academy in Lahore.

Aamir is recovering from a back injury which he sustained while playing county cricket this year.

The first Test match between Bangladesh and hosts Pakistan will commence from 21 August at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium.

Pakistan squad for Bangladesh Test series:

Shan Masood (captain), Saud Shakeel (vice-captain), Abdullah Shafique, Babar Azam, Khurram Shahzad, Mir Hamza, Mohammad Ali, Mohammad Huraira, Mohammad Rizwan (wicket-keeper), Naseem Shah, Saim Ayub, Salman Ali Agha, Sarfaraz Ahmed (wicket-keeper) and Shaheen Shah Afridi

Aamir Jamal released from Test squad

Right-arm fast bowler Aamir Jamal has been released from the Test squad ahead of the series against Bangladesh. Aamir, who was earlier included in the squad subject to fitness clearance, has been advised to work on his fitness at the National Cricket Academy in Lahore.

Aamir is recovering from a back injury which he sustained while playing county cricket this year.

The first Test match between Bangladesh and hosts Pakistan will commence from 21 August at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium.

Pakistan squad for Bangladesh Test series:

Shan Masood (captain), Saud Shakeel (vice-captain), Abdullah Shafique, Babar Azam, Khurram Shahzad, Mir Hamza, Mohammad Ali, Mohammad Huraira, Mohammad Rizwan (wicket-keeper), Naseem Shah, Saim Ayub, Salman Ali Agha, Sarfaraz Ahmed (wicket-keeper) and Shaheen Shah Afridi
Oh bhai rahe kya Gya hai? You removed all youngsters from the team🤣🤣

Expecting my dearest Pakistani brothers to crush the Bangladeshis like usual.

Bangladesh is a minnow and it’s a wastage of time for Pakistan to be playing them. They have nothing to win or lose here.
why dont you send your team to play the dear Pakistani brothers in Pakistan? at least we are here to play

what will be the pitch like? any Idea? will there be any juice in the pitch or will it be a batting paradise?
Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium’s pitch presents a green top just days before Pakistan’s first Test match against Bangladesh, set to begin on August 21.

Historically, pitches in Pakistan have a tendency to flatten out as the match progresses, offering less assistance to bowlers and more to the batters.

zaKEiFP.png

why dont you send your team to play the dear Pakistani brothers in Pakistan? at least we are here to play

We will for sure one day when the relationships normalise. It’s just a matter of time. The improvements in Pakistan are visible under the new leadership. The people of Pakistan are becoming more aware of the realities of the world and of the propaganda of their army and they will also gradually put a lot of pressure on the lot leadership to create an atmosphere that is conducive for healing of the wounds of the past and for shaking hands for the sake of future.

Pakistanis are dear to us.
Everyone knows if it wasn’t for the unfortunate incidents that are not required to be discussed here, we would have been very very closely associated already. 2003-2009 was a very good period for both nations that saw our cricket teams visiting each others nation and our artists collaborating.

Bharat-Pakistan share a special bond.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium’s pitch presents a green top just days before Pakistan’s first Test match against Bangladesh, set to begin on August 21.

Historically, pitches in Pakistan have a tendency to flatten out as the match progresses, offering less assistance to bowlers and more to the batters.

zaKEiFP.png
a green top pitch will give some spicy sessions, overall BD will lose anyway but a flat pitch will ensure absolutely boring one sided match

zaKEiFP.png
Looks like Babar's streak of no centuries will continue after this series

Respect to Shan for allowing the curators to do their job and create a pitch that is tailored to Pakistan cricket and not the Babar-KP nexus

Salman Ali should be playing in all 3 formats.

Whether we Bat first or bowl we should dominate in home conditions.

Even if we loose a day to rain four days should be enough to get the win.

Looks like Babar's streak of no centuries will continue after this series

Respect to Shan for allowing the curators to do their job and create a pitch that is tailored to Pakistan cricket and not the Babar-KP nexus
I've come to change my mind about Shan a bit.

I don't like shan, but at the very least watching his press conference gives the vibes of a professional Individual whereas Babar's press conference is cringe worthy

Bangladesh Head Coach Chandika Hathurusingha Press Conference at Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium ahead of 1st Test against Pakistan:

"The pitch here [Rawalpindi] looks favorable for fast bowling and probably for batting as well. Looking at the outcome of the selection, Pakistan have not picked many spinners. So, it seems they are focusing on fast bowling lately. We have developed a lot of good fast bowlers in our ranks as well."

"We are very thankful to the PCB for giving us time to come and train in Lahore first. The facilities in Lahore were excellent. We had a good 2-3 days of practice there, and of course, six players came earlier to play for the A team in Pindi. In terms of preparation, we are very happy, and the mood is positive. We are looking forward to the challenge."

"I know Mushi [Mushtaq Ahmed] since 1988. That's how long I've known him. He has actually come in and fitted into the coaching group really well. He has a lot of experience working with England for a long time and in Pakistan as well. He brings a lot of internal knowledge, local knowledge, as well as experience from other parts of the world. He is fitting in well, not only with bowling but also helping us in terms of making decisions."

Last edited:
Pakistan can make it to the finals of wtc.
Just win all home games. England will be hard though.
Maybe 2-1 Pakistan this time

Looking forward to Pakistan playing some test cricket. My body has become sick and tired of the garbage junk food (T20). I need some real nutrition.

Also will be nice to see Pakistan led by a captain with a working brain, who can make good decisions on the field and think outside the box.

Agree. I am also sick and tired of T20.

Hope to see more ODIs and Tests now.

Pakistan Cricket Team.

Rawalpindi. 11-member Pakistan cricket team announced for the first test against Bangladesh.

The first Test will be played from Wednesday, August 21 at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium.

Playing XI Shan Masood (captain) Saud Shakeel (vice-captain) Abdullah Shafiq. Babar Azam Khurram Shahzad. Muhammad Ali. Mohammad Rizwan (wicket keeper) Naseem Shah. Saim Ayub It consists of Salman Ali Agha and Shaheen Shah Afridi.

Pakistan team will field with a combination of four fast bowlers.

Shan Masood will lead the team in the home series for the first time.

Jason Gillespie will be the coach of Pakistan cricket team for the first time.

Pakistan has played 13 Tests against Bangladesh, winning 12 and drawing one.
1724072301379.jpg

What a farce.

No Mir Hamza and no Saifi. Guess even after our humiliation earlier this year, the selectors never learn

What I don't understand is Hamza proved himself to be a much better bowler than Shaheen in supporting conditions as seen in the Melbourne test in Australia so why exactly has Shaheen been choosen over him. Hell it doesn't make any sense to select Mohammad Ali or Khurram

With Saifi it was expected. One can only hope that Rizwan will fail - as he usual does- and Shan fixes his mistake. Might cost us the first test however

What a farce.

No Mir Hamza and no Saifi. Guess even after our humiliation earlier this year, the selectors never learn

What I don't understand is Hamza proved himself to be a much better bowler than Shaheen in supporting conditions as seen in the Melbourne test in Australia so why exactly has Shaheen been choosen over him. Hell it doesn't make any sense to select Mohammad Ali or Khurram

With Saifi it was expected. One can only hope that Rizwan will fail - as he usual does- and Shan fixes his mistake. Might cost us the first test however

Afridi should have been dropped for Mir Hamza.

I still cannot believe Huraira is not being selected. Drop Shakeel or Shafique for him. I don't rate them. Their timid WC performances were enough to see where they stand.

What a farce.

See I told you, you put too much faith in shan.

He may conduct himself better on press, May not play curate pitches and may have better fielding decisions, but he ain't gonna change anything.

I still cannot believe Huraira is not being selected. Drop Shakeel or Shafique for him. I don't rate them.
Saud shakeel is VC lol. Hurraira a debutant over the vc makes zilch sense

I still cannot believe Huraira is not being selected. Drop Shakeel or Shafique for him. I don't rate them. Their timid WC performances were enough to see where they stand.
Huraira is a good talent but I have faith in Saim to come good. If he does fail in the first test than I agree Huraira deserves a shot

Should never have been made VC. These selectors are forever clueless.
The selectors are clueless for not dropping 2 players who scored a double century and a world cup century but wishing to select hurraira who doesn't even have any games and is untested over them makes total sense?

What are you even about

It's crazy that Mir Hamza isn't in the playing XI. He out-flanks Mohammad Ali on most metrics. He is also the type of bowler fit enough to bowl 20-overs per day.

Khurram has had precious injury concerns, Shaheen / Naseem's workload needs to be managed. Mohammad Ali is a bit unknown. Hamza, to me would have been the work-horse of the pace-attack.

The only factor I can think of, is that Naseem / Shaheen / Khurram are better with the new ball. And we need someone more suited to bowling with the older ball. So I wonder if that's what our think-tank was thinking about the selection.

Some interesting selections with Saim and no Hamza. Willing to wait and see how the Gillespie Era goes. We need to give full series before jumping to knee jerk reaction before even a ball is bowled.

Need to face bdesh 2 games at home
3 vs eng at home
2 vs SA away
2 vs West indies at home

Need 7 wins out of 9
They have a chance to make it then. Will have to bring their absolute A game though.

I will be looking forward to these matches. Will be fun under Shan's captaincy

It's crazy that Mir Hamza isn't in the playing XI. He out-flanks Mohammad Ali on most metrics. He is also the type of bowler fit enough to bowl 20-overs per day.

Khurram has had precious injury concerns, Shaheen / Naseem's workload needs to be managed. Mohammad Ali is a bit unknown. Hamza, to me would have been the work-horse of the pace-attack.

The only factor I can think of, is that Naseem / Shaheen / Khurram are better with the new ball. And we need someone more suited to bowling with the older ball. So I wonder if that's what our think-tank was thinking about the selection.
Khurram has bowled impressively. He was great in that Australia tour up until injury. Mohammad Ali has been making noise all around and picked wickets with the A team as well. I think the call was between Ali and Mir. One was going to be left out anyways. Can't please everyone. So this is the team now

Khurram has bowled impressively. He was great in that Australia tour up until injury. Mohammad Ali has been making noise all around and picked wickets with the A team as well. I think the call was between Ali and Mir. One was going to be left out anyways. Can't please everyone. So this is the team now
Wonder who will open the bowling. Shehzad, Shaheen and Naseem are all much better with the fresh cherry

Salman Agha at 7 and Rizwan at 6 lol

Rizwan the outsider Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaahhaha

The selectors are clueless for not dropping 2 players who scored a double century and a world cup century but wishing to select hurraira who doesn't even have any games and is untested over them makes total sense?

What are you even about

You might rate them, I don't.

How did Saim the duck get in team in a test match. My Days what is happening

SSA could have been dropped instead after all that fuzz of teaching him a lesson for his unacceptable behavior during T20 WC 2024

Nice team. Would have had better balance with Jamal there but he is injured so. Will be exciting to see fast bowlers in tandem on a green mamba under Gillespie. Liking the pitch preparation. Previous setup gave us pathetic wickets with boring test matches

How did Saim the duck get in team in a test match. My Days what is happening
Saim was good in Australia test matches. Thanks God our selectors don’t have short term memories and actually differentiate formats than our fans

Saim was good in Australia test matches. Thanks God our selectors don’t have short term memories and actually differentiate formats than our fans

Yeah and I would prefer Ayub over Imam any day of the week

Here is to hoping that Saim scores a 240 ball double ton!

InshaAllah

I am happy with Sam's inclusion as he played decently in his first test match. For a long time we have made the mistake of mixing formats in selection matters.

But sidelining the spinners is an absolutely stupid decision, especially when the next series is against England.

The concept of green pitches in Pakistan is useless. Prepare the spinners.
There should just be enough pace and bounce in the pitch so as to provide assistance for both the batsmen and bowlers. That's it.

Will you scare England with your half-injured pacers?

I am happy with Sam's inclusion as he played decently in his first test match. For a long time we have made the mistake of mixing formats in selection matters.

But sidelining the spinners is an absolutely stupid decision, especially when the next series is against England.

The concept of green pitches in Pakistan is useless. Prepare the spinners.
There should just be enough pace and bounce in the pitch so as to provide assistance for both the batsmen and bowlers. That's it.

Will you scare England with your half-injured pacers?

Only Babar is happy that the pitches are not spin friendly

Pakistan Cricket Team.

Rawalpindi. 11-member Pakistan cricket team announced for the first test against Bangladesh.

The first Test will be played from Wednesday, August 21 at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium.

Playing XI Shan Masood (captain) Saud Shakeel (vice-captain) Abdullah Shafiq. Babar Azam Khurram Shahzad. Muhammad Ali. Mohammad Rizwan (wicket keeper) Naseem Shah. Saim Ayub It consists of Salman Ali Agha and Shaheen Shah Afridi.

Pakistan team will field with a combination of four fast bowlers.

Shan Masood will lead the team in the home series for the first time.

Jason Gillespie will be the coach of Pakistan cricket team for the first time.

Pakistan has played 13 Tests against Bangladesh, winning 12 and drawing one.
View attachment 145770
Thank God not that useless saifi

Should bring drinks to players

Surprised they are going with Saim and I am sure people here won't like it but it feels crazy to drop him after one Test match in Australia no less. If you believed in him to replace Imam with him, then give him a proper chance in the Test squad. Sucks for Huraira but he will get his chance soon enough.

Really sad to hear that Aamer Jamal is out of the series. He is such an x-factor player who balances out your side. And coming off such an incredible tour in Australia, I really wanted to see him play in this series.

Hopefully he will be fit in time for the England tests.

What we are missing in this line up is an out and out tearaway quick bowling 150 kph plus to compliment the others like the Injured Ihsanullah and Hasnain.

If Aamir Jamal was fit he would of started ahead of Khurram or Mir hamza who I feel were vying for 1 spot.

Muhammad Ali plays as he offers more pace and better reverse than the other two.

What we are missing in this line up is an out and out tearaway quick bowling 150 kph plus to compliment the others like the Injured Ihsanullah and Hasnain.

If Aamir Jamal was fit he would of started ahead of Khurram or Mir hamza who I feel were vying for 1 spot.

Muhammad Ali plays as he offers more pace and better reverse than the other two.
A tearaway 150 kph quick is not sustainable in this day and age. Especially in the longest format. At the end of the day, what you need are wicket-takers. Anyone who can consistently hit 135 can be dangerous. But I would rather have someone who can bowl consistent spells where the pace doesn't drop and the consistency in line and length is there. Rather than a tearaway quick who tears something in his body after one spell.

Really surprised Mir Hamza was dropped as well as Hurraira wasn't given a chance.

Thank God not that useless saifi

Should bring drinks to players
Saifi deserves respect he s been a fantastic player who always wears his heart on his sleeve for his country and served the country with distinction.

He is still the best choice as No 2 in tests especially on turning tracks.

A tearaway 150 kph quick is not sustainable in this day and age. Especially in the longest format. At the end of the day, what you need are wicket-takers. Anyone who can consistently hit 135 can be dangerous. But I would rather have someone who can bowl consistent spells where the pace doesn't drop and the consistency in line and length is there. Rather than a tearaway quick who tears something in his body after one spell.
Mark wood is a prime example of how a 150 k plus quick gives the attack an X factor which is why Stokes always wants him in the side when he is fit and available.

Jofra is another than england want fit for the Ashes.

135 k s isn't going to push the batter on the back foot and test him unless its a relentless line and length like an Asif / McGrath type bowler which no bowler can do nowadays.

To challenge for top honours in tests it is crucial and vital to have extreme pace and quality spin to compliment the rest of the attack.

I like the team.

Nice to see Mohammed Ali get a chance on a helpful wicket compared to the torture he was put through during the England series.

Mir Hamza isn't an international bowler. He is a solid FC bowler.

We need impact players in the team even if just for the sake of viewership. Who wants to see 7 Azhar Alis tuk tuking around
Test matches are about knowing when to play attritional cricket, seeing of a spell and cashing in when on top.

Nobody wants to be bowled out for 150 in 20 overs to "entertain fans".

Thats what T20 s are for.

Pakistan have let us down in Test cricket, need to get behind the team and hopefully the starting XI will justify their selection.

Important thing will be the plan given by Gillespie who himself was a top fast bowler who played under legendary coaches like Buchanan and Bayliss

Do PCB still have a contract with Sky Sports for their home series? I'm sure it was till end of 2024 no?!

Does anyone know or not?

Mark wood is a prime example of how a 150 k plus quick gives the attack an X factor which is why Stokes always wants him in the side when he is fit and available.

Jofra is another than england want fit for the Ashes.

135 k s isn't going to push the batter on the back foot and test him unless its a relentless line and length like an Asif / McGrath type bowler which no bowler can do nowadays.

To challenge for top honours in tests it is crucial and vital to have extreme pace and quality spin to compliment the rest of the attack.
How much test cricket does Mark Wood play? And how much time does he spend injured? Archer has not played a test match in 3 years. In theory, having an out and out 150 kph quick is a great idea. But in practice it is not sustainable.

Very few bowlers can even bowl consistently at 140+ in test matches these days. It is natural for your pace to drop when you bowl multiple spells throughout the day. Many bowlers that are perceived as 'quick' hover in that 135-137 region for large portions of their spells. How many teams even have that kind of a quick bowler? And how much time do they spend injured or on the shelf?

I would rather take a reliable 135-140 kph bowler that takes wickets consistently and stays fit rather than a shiny 150 kph quick that spends most of the time injured, on the shelf.

Where's the playing XI that has been announced as I can't find it on cricinfo or anywhere.

Edit: Ok no worries I found it.

Do PCB still have a contract with Sky Sports for their home series? I'm sure it was till end of 2024 no?!

Does anyone know or not?
No this ended beginning of the year, i am worried ARY doesnt get them in UK again

Last edited by a moderator:
Really sad to hear that Aamer Jamal is out of the series. He is such an x-factor player who balances out your side. And coming off such an incredible tour in Australia, I really wanted to see him play in this series.

Hopefully he will be fit in time for the England tests.
Yep. If he could develop well we can also play Abrar on all tracks and drop Salman for Jamal on seaming pitches

concerning that they are not giving a guy who should be your premier spinner gametime, mir hamza should be comfortably ahead of ali in selection too

Back