Pakistan vs South Africa | Lahore | 1st ODI (updates)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easa

Senior Test Player
Runs
Post of the Week
Match is due to start in just about 2 hours and I'm really looking forward to this one. I'm a little worried about our pace bowling but lets see how it goes. Asif has not been ruled out yet and could still play but I think we should rest him for the first 2 ODI's.

Lahore is usually a placid, flat track so iI think it would be win the toss and bat in an instant.

According to AJ's topic, Pak v SA at Lahore has always produced gripping contests. I hope we see another one today with Pak inching it of course. Yeah, I think our pace attack without Shoaib or Sami looks too similar paced. Surely, Sami should have been in the squad!

According to jang newspaper today, Asif won't be playing first 2 ODIs.

An hour and 30 minutes to start and like many here I m looking forward to it ,hoping it will be a close contest and an exciting one, a win here will do many of goods for pakistan team.
So what you guys think what will be a winning score ?
Should we bat first or chase the target?

280 or so is normally a good score in Lahore but then 290+ has been chased a couple of times.

Less than an hour and twenty minutes now.

Hash said:

Can somebody call ARY and remind them that they're showing the ODI series in case they forget again!

S.A should win easy...that's my feelings . Not very worried at all .

Hash said:
280 or so is normally a good score in Lahore but then 290+ has been chased a couple of times.

280 -290 will be tuff for pakistan to chase but on the other hand SA will do it easily as our bwoling attack seems weak.

darkmoon459 said:
280 -290 will be tuff for pakistan to chase but on the other hand SA will do it easily as our bwoling attack seems weak.

I guess we might as well forfeit the game then

Just Called ARY noyone recieving? and when I enter my number to ARY channel "818" ntl , it says sorry unavailable?

Mercenary said:
Can somebody call ARY and remind them that they're showing the ODI series in case they forget again!
:))) :))) Good Idea... some one may broad cast some free live stream too.

any news on the toss or team harry?

cricindia is obviously not interested so being at work I have no way of knowing

South Africa win the toss and are batting first. Surprisingly, Pakistan playing with the same kit that they used in the Twenty20 WC

Usman Sahib said:
South Africa win the toss and are batting first. Surprisingly, Pakistan playing with the same kit that they used in the Twenty20 WC

Oh please, not that. Horrible.

Usman Sahib said:

good .. its better then that slime green pansy kit we had before...

Pakistan line-up:

Mohammad Hafeez
Imran Nazir
Younis Khan
Mohammad Yousuf
Misbah-ul-haq
Shoaib Malik
Kamran Akmal
Shahid Afridi
Sohail Tanvir
Umar Gul
Rao Iftikhar

Hash said:
I guess we might as well forfeit the game then

Having a weak attack and a a batting order we can't depand is no reason to forfeit the game ,Thick or thin I will support pakistan.

GREAT NEWS for me, Butt is not playing;
Pakistan team
Mohammad Hafeez, captainShoaib Malik, Younis Khan, Mohammad Yousuf, Misbah-ul-Haq, wicketkeeperKamran Akmal, Shahid Afridi, Umar Gul, Imran Nazir, Iftikhar Anjum, Sohail Tanvir

the team I expected, no Butt as reported.
I think he will be back by 3rd match if one of the openers fail.

Good comeback Darkmoon.

Anyway, damnit man! SA keeps winning the god damned toss! S H I T ! !

kashif77 said:
hafeez and nazir playing ... OMFG !!!

0/2

With Butt ruled out, who did you expect would open? I guess Hafeez is there because of his all-round skills, otherwise they would have opened with Kami

we need a new captain .. malik is just horrible at winning tosses :16: :16:

umarbs said:
Not many ppl at the ground. I guess theyr'e all gone to welcome BB.

always happens in Pakistan.

Lahoris especially are not going to come in the morning. The ground will fill as the day progresses.

Usman Sahib said:
With Butt ruled out, who did you expect would open? I guess Hafeez is there because of his all-round skills, otherwise they would have opened with Kami

how about hameed ?

his average in ODIs is about equal to nazir's and hafeez combined !!!

This is the squad for SA
GC Smith, AB de Villiers, HH Gibbs, JH Kallis, JM Kemp, MV Boucher, SM Pollock, JA Morkel, M Ntini, J Botha, CK Langeveldt

To me it looks like they have too many all rounders (3) and may be short in batting. If we can have some success early we can pressure them.

Last edited:
darkmoon459 said:
Having a weak attack and a a batting order we can't depand is no reason to forfeit the game ,Thick or thin I will support pakistan.

'SA will win easily'

great way to show your support :19:

kashif77 said:
how about hameed ?

his average in ODIs is about equal to nazir's and hafeez combined !!!

Forgot about him. Yeah he was awesome against Australia A, deserves a game in this series

Tanvir to open the bowling. First ball skids on nicely to the keeper

Next ball he beats Gibbs

Malik giving debutant the opening over! What the hell! Why put so much pressure on him. Anyway what a beauty from Tanvir!

He needs to learn to get the ball back in. He is relying heavily on the angle he creates. An in-dipper would be an awesome delivery with such an action

First runs for South Africa, down to third-man

LightSpeedGT said:
Malik giving debutant the opening over! What the hell! Why put so much pressure on him. Anyway what a beauty from Tanvir!

yes he should have been saved until the 36th over

Kamran trying to take out Tanvir in the first over. Hits Tanvir smack on the head while throwing back to the bowler

Tanveer seems in good rythem, ball is getting a little swing. I just have a good feeling that he may get a breakthrough soon.

Hash said:
yes he should have been saved until the 36th over
Or maybe started with the established Gul...! OMG! Hmm... Get some sense knocked into yourself before you overreact.

Tanvir getting substantial swing against Smith. Losing it down the leg at the moment though.

LightSpeedGT said:
Or maybe started with the established Gul...! OMG! Hmm... Get some sense knocked into yourself before you overreact.

1st over

2nd over

Does it really make a difference?

stop nitpicking. You're being pathetic.

3/0 after 1 over

at this rate we will be chasing 151

Sohail Tanvir to Smith, 1 wide, And this one sails down leg side. Is it anything to do with Akmal's throw on his head?!
:))

Rao starts with some bounce and away shape. Gul seems to have established himself with slightly older ball.

Hash said:
1st over

2nd over

Does it really make a difference?

stop nitpicking. You're being pathetic.
It makes a huge difference. When you are making your debut especially! Bowling the first ball can shape nerves. Seems like you've never opened the bowling or maybe even played cricket for that matter.

Rao bowls a super over. On target!

Maiden by Rao. Didn't get Gibbs to play much though which is essential when the ball is swinging

LightSpeedGT said:
It makes a huge difference. When you are making your debut especially. Bowling the first ball has it's nerves. Seems like you've never opened the bowling or maybe even played cricket for that matter.

if he is ready to play international cricket then he is ready to open the bowling

This isn't a world cup final.

I have played a lot of cricket but as a batsman. I take it the same would apply to batsman too? Debutants shouldn't open the batting?

Tanvir getting lots of movement but no control shown yet against Smith.

3 for 0 after 2 overs

If Pakistan were 3 runs after 2 overs people would be slitting wrists.

It does make sense to use Gul 4 overs in later stage of Twenty20 match, but it is none sense to destroy new ball by two ordinary medium pacer and hold on to Gul.

Hash, good point. I was just speaking from my point of view. I feel lots of nerves when I open the bowling for my club. But Tanvir might be different. But he's still making his debut.

hellopak said:
It does make sense to use Gul 4 overs in later stage of Twenty20 match, but it is none sense to destroy new ball by two ordinary medium pacer and hold on to Gul.

I think this tactic is decent. Tanvir and Rao depend more on swing than seam, so they will be more effective in the early stages when the ball is new

Last edited:
seems a good start by these two

Lightspeed- as a batsman who has opened a few times (but normally middle order), it would certainly ease my nerves a bit knowing the opening bowler is a debutant! But Tanvir seems a good bowler and I stand by my comments that it shouldn't matter if it is his debut.

4 legbyes. Maiden over by Tanvir. 7/0 after 3 overs.

Last three balls from the bowlers have been going down the legside, and two of them have been dealt with boundaries

Usman Sahib said:
I think this tactic is decent. Tanvir and Rao depend more on swing than seam, so they will be more effective in the early stages when the ballis now
Ya Rao started using his swing.

This pitch seems pretty slow. After pitching, the ball seems to be taking an eternity to get to Akmal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back