"Pakistani players are missing a big opportunity by not playing in the IPL" : Shahid Afridi

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
"Pakistani players are missing a big opportunity by not playing in the IPL" : Shahid Afridi

KARACHI: Pakistani all-rounder and former skipper Shahid Khan Afridi has said there was ‘no chance’ of reviving cricketing ties with India as long as Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi was in power.

Strained relations between the two nations, who were one before the partition of British India split them into India and Pakistan in 1947, and a decades-long dispute over the Himalayan valley of Kashmir, has laid the foundations of one of the most intense sports rivalries in the world.

Ties have been especially strained over the last year when Modi’s government stripped the autonomy of Kashmir, which both nations rule in part but claim in full.

Pakistan and Indian have not played a bilateral Test series since 2008 when already brittle ties were shattered by the Mumbai attacks.

“The government of Pakistan is always ready but with the present regime [in India] there are no such chances of [resuming] cricket relations, of [Pakistan-India] series,” Afridi told Arab News in a wide-ranging interview at his home in Karachi this week. “With Modi in power, I don’t see it’s going to happen.”

Both India and Pakistan are crazy about cricket and emotions and adrenaline run high whenever the two sides play each other, usually in packed stadiums resounding with jingoistic slogans.

New Delhi and Islamabad have in the past used cricket matches to try to make progress on issues that have dogged relations since 1947, especially over the fate of the Kashmir region.

In 1987, then-Pakistan President general Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq visited India to watch a cricket match but the event was also used to defuse a crisis over troop build-ups on one of the world’s most militarised borders, and the Pakistani leader met Indian prime minister of the day, Rajiv Gandhi.

In 2005, Pakistan’s then-military ruler Pervez Musharraf visited India to watch a cricket match, but the trip also became a summit with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the two leaders agreed to open up the Kashmir border.

Afridi agreed that sports could play an important role in improving relations between the two countries, especially since cricket was like a “religion” for the people of India and Pakistan: “So, I think that sports are a thing which can help improve ties.”

Commenting on the 2020 Indian Premier League, which was originally scheduled to begin in March in India but is being held in the United Arab Emirates due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Afridi said Pakistani players were missing a “big opportunity” by not being part of the tournament.

“I know that IPL is a very big brand in the world of cricket and it is an excellent opportunity for, whether it’s Babar Azam, or many other Pakistani players to go there [to India] and play under pressure and share dressing rooms,” the Pakistani cricketer said. “So in my opinion Pakistani players are missing a big opportunity.”

Asked if he stood by an earlier statement that he was more loved in India than in Pakistan, Afridi said: “If their love is true, no one can take it away, no matter whose government it is.”

“Love is love,” the cricketer said. “No doubt, the way I have enjoyed cricket in India; I have always appreciated the love and respect that I have gotten from the people of India. And now when I speak on social media, I get many messages from India and I reply to many people. I believe that my overall experience of India has been excellent.”

Speaking about the government of Prime Minister Imran Khan, Afridi said Khan had been an exemplary cricketer who led Pakistan to world cup victory in 1992, but as prime minister one should not expect him to change decades of problems in a few years.

“It’s the time to fulfill the promises he [Khan] had made before elections,” he said. “This is a great opportunity; army is with you, judiciary is there. All are on one page.”

Khan has a favorable “ground and pitch” to achieve success, Afridi said, adding that the PM needed a stronger team to help him win.

“Imran bhai will have to play [with a] strong team, [he] will have to take honest and clean people along with him,” he said. “The people who we see around Imran bhai should work for this country so a time may not come when Imran bhai is all alone.”

Speaking about punishing culprits in the recent case of a woman who was gang-raped on a major highway this month in front of her children, Afridi said: “Don’t hang them publicly. Hang them [while] hiding [from people] but do hang them and set an example, and do it immediately.”

The 40-year-old cricketer is also well-known for his philanthropic work across Pakistan and has formerly worked with UNICEF and a number of national organizations. He told Arab News his parents were his “inspiration” for starting charity work and setting up the Shahid Afridi Foundation, which aims to provide education, health care, access to water and sports rehabilitation in Pakistan’s underprivileged communities.

Afridi has established hospitals in his hometown of Tirah in Khyber district as well as Kohat. His foundation has distributed ration among 40,000 families across Pakistan and offers free education to deserving students in 14 schools across Pakistan. It also gives scholarships to 10 students from the tribal areas each year.

Afridi has launched 200 water projects in the tribal districts and the parched Tharparkar region in Sindh and also helped repatriate over 250 Pakistanis who were stranded in the Middle East due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“We will have to educate these children,” he said, referring to Pakistan’s tribal areas. “I hope [cricket] academies will reach these areas.”

https://www.arabnews.pk/node/1740306/pakistan

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if Modi loses the next election, I don’t understand how things will change overnight.

The seeds of hatred and divide have been down pretty deep in the last decade or so

IPL is the best league by a long distance. The quality of cricket in IPL is top notch and is highest form of t20 cricket. Political differences aside, missing out on IPL is a huge loss for Pak players - both monetarily and developement as a player.

Babar, Shaheen and Hafeez would surely have got a long contract in IPL. Not sure about other players.

IPL is the best league by a long distance. The quality of cricket in IPL is top notch and is highest form of t20 cricket. Political differences aside, missing out on IPL is a huge loss for Pak players - both monetarily and developement as a player.

Babar, Shaheen and Hafeez would surely have got a long contract in IPL. Not sure about other players.

No its not - please dont post such nonsense as its been discussed before.

Pakistan has won two global tournaments and have reached ICC #1 ranking in test cricket during the time they were not having their players in IPL so theh are doing just fine as their players are still free to travel to leagues of other countries. Overall, it is the Indian cricketer which gets least exposure in terms of variety of leagues because of BCCI keeping Indian talent exclusive to IPL.

BCCI/Modi should allow Pakistani players to play. The tournament would only get spicier.

'No chance' of India-Pakistan series under Modi government, Shahid Afridi says

I will respond to the original heading of this article. Shahid Afridi is right that there is no chance of an Indo-Pak series as long as BJP is in power. :inti

IPL is a bigger brand than Pakistan cricket, so of course our players are missing out.

However, the question is - which ones?

90% of our players won’t get IPL contracts. We are not good enough.

How many Sri Lankan players do you see in IPL apart from Malinga etc.? We are at the same level.

IPL is a bigger brand than Pakistan cricket, so of course our players are missing out.

How many Sri Lankan players do you see in IPL apart from Malinga etc.? We are at the same level.

No it’s not, what’s the point of this nonesense?

Wahab (terrific death bowler), Babar (for RR, they like anchors), Hafeez, and Shaheen stand a good chance. Imad too.

With 4 foreign players a side rule, effectively all foreign players in the world compete for 32 positions and with shuffling you are talking about a max foreign 40-50 players getting a chance to play.

So the competition is very tough for all and often some top notch talent has to sit atthe bench. No shame in it.

Imran Tahir is a top level LOI talent and he was sitting at the bench.

I don’t think change in Indian leadership will change the situation - BJP is a bit extremist and too blunt in their statements but I believe if it were Congress.... they would played around words and people like Shashi Tharoor, Salman Khurshid giving beautiful statements .... end result would have been same.

The reason - it’s a shadow war and Indian policy is not to fund PAK cricket from Indian sources; I don’t think it’ll change with change in Indian Parliament. PAK has gone through four different party/people in power including Gen Musharraf in last 12 years - their policy about Israel hadn’t changed. People bring that three game series in 2012 - but it was played in India and I don’t think apart from match fees and some great Indian hospitality, PAK cricket or PCB got much from that.

At present I don’t think it would have mattered much ... may be 2-3 players max; but IPL isolation did hurt PAK cricket financially in first few years of isolation - most of Asif, Amir, Wahab, Gul, Shoaib, Sami, ARazzak, Afridi, Ajmal, Akmal Bros, Tanveer, Malik, MoHa, MoYo, Nazir, YK .... could have made it to IPL squads and any range of IPL wage is also quite a fat pay cheque for most of them.

Wahab (terrific death bowler), Babar (for RR, they like anchors), Hafeez, and Shaheen stand a good chance. Imad too.

Wahab has been a joke against India apart from the World Cup semifinal. He has no value in India.

I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say that I'd actually watch the IPL if the likes of Babar and Shaheen were playing.

I don’t think change in Indian leadership will change the situation - BJP is a bit extremist and too blunt in their statements but I believe if it were Congress.... they would played around words and people like Shashi Tharoor, Salman Khurshid giving beautiful statements .... end result would have been same.

The reason - it’s a shadow war and Indian policy is not to fund PAK cricket from Indian sources; I don’t think it’ll change with change in Indian Parliament. PAK has gone through four different party/people in power including Gen Musharraf in last 12 years - their policy about Israel hadn’t changed. People bring that three game series in 2012 - but it was played in India and I don’t think apart from match fees and some great Indian hospitality, PAK cricket or PCB got much from that.

At present I don’t think it would have mattered much ... may be 2-3 players max; but IPL isolation did hurt PAK cricket financially in first few years of isolation - most of Asif, Amir, Wahab, Gul, Shoaib, Sami, ARazzak, Afridi, Ajmal, Akmal Bros, Tanveer, Malik, MoHa, MoYo, Nazir, YK .... could have made it to IPL squads and any range of IPL wage is also quite a fat pay cheque for most of them.

I have made this point so many times but people fail to understand. It was actually Congress and Manmohan Singh that banned cricket with Pakistan. Vajpayee (BJP) gave green light to Indo-Pak cricket in 2004 and it continued since up until Mumbai Attacks. Congress was helpless after the attacks and couldnt take any decisive action, so to please the masses...they banned cricket. BJP came to power only in 2014 and damage was already done. If Modi allow resumption of cricket now, Congress/Opposition will tear apart BJP in parliament calling it weak, bending backwards etc.

It's nonsense because you disagree with it?

No, because its and absolute statement without anything to back that up. Yes most international players are available for IPL (Only 4 can play in an XI) and they are paid well. None of that alone can alone validate the statement like highest for of T20 cricket.

edit: pointless discussion

Nothing to do with BJP anymore.. they should be allowed

Last edited:
No, because its and absolute statement without anything to back that up. Yes most international players are available for IPL (Only 4 can play in an XI) and they are paid well. None of that alone can alone validate the statement like highest for of T20 cricket.

The likes of Wriddhiman Saha, Piyush Chawla, Mohit Sharma, etc would never play a T20I in todays day and age yet they want me to believe the standard of IPL is greater than that of T20Is?

If IPL had no quota for local players, meaning it was only the best cricketers, regardless of where they came from, then IPL standards would be better than international cricket. Quotas will always make for an inferior product. That goes for all leagues too. The foreign player quota is worth it for the local board though because of player development, but let's not act like it doesn't lower the standard.

The likes of Wriddhiman Saha, Piyush Chawla, Mohit Sharma, etc would never play a T20I in todays day and age yet they want me to believe the standard of IPL is greater than that of T20Is?

If IPL had no quota for local players, meaning it was only the best cricketers, regardless of where they came from, then IPL standards would be better than international cricket. Quotas will always make for an inferior product. That goes for all leagues too. The foreign player quota is worth it for the local board though because of player development, but let's not act like it doesn't lower the standard.

Exactly. One will have to be in a hype bubble or have some completely tinted glasses believe Saha vs Mavi and countless such encounters is highest form of T20 cricket that one can see. Yes it does have some good encounters but, one cant discount the countless others to claim that its the best form of T20 cricket.

Who asked Afridi to give his opinion about Pakistani players?.He does not represent PCB or any player.

We all agree it was Pakistan's fault for not sending its players to IPL 2009. The players paid the price for it. It has been 10+ years since then. We should forget, forgive and move on. Include Pakistan players in 2021 IPL. Leave it to the franchises to make the decision. I am sure few franchises will be keen to draft Pakistan players.

Afridi back with his stupid statements. First up, doesn’t matter what Modi thinks but Imran wouldn’t allow ties with India after what happened there in August 2019. That would be political suicide. We had a chance to play IPL in 2009 and we blew it. Now the franchises are always skeptical that even if our players are drafted, would they get visas? Would they be allowed in certain cities? Would they be accepted by the people? Unfortunate but hard truth is we need to forget IPL and focus on PSL.

Genuinely interested to know how 3-4 Pakistanis playing the IPL would hurt anyone?

You would have pakistani players playing in IPL today to get $$$ and tommorow pour vitriol on Kashmir or some other issue. Seriously i do not want it. And wonder if the franchisees will take the risk of watching a pakistani player's pic on tv on their franchisee jersey and news flashing of his comments on Kashmir,India, Indian Muslims etc

Even by your standards this is a hilariously off-base statement.

You would have pakistani players playing in IPL today to get $$$ and tommorow pour vitriol on Kashmir or some other issue. Seriously i do not want it. And wonder if the franchisees will take the risk of watching a pakistani player's pic on tv on their franchisee jersey and news flashing of his comments on Kashmir,India, Indian Muslims etc

Pakistani players don't have to constantly prove their loyalty to the state by giving political statements. It's only Afridi. Whereas in India everyone from Kaif to Gavaskar to Harbhajan to Irfan Pathan wants to show the Indian state that they are completely loyal. And if you want to talk about vitriol than you should pay as much attention to Gambhir's statements as you do to Afridi's.

If there is one country responsible for infesting this game with the political virus it's India.

The umpteenth time this topic has been brought up. It would be a missed opportunity if Pakistani players were allowed to play in it but didn't.

This is all that needs to be said.

I don't like the IPL, Afridi should help make the PSL more competitive.

This is the ugly truth..
Indians may deny it but it’s the truth.

Most pakistani’s will play IPL for the money that’s on offer
Most commentators if not all will sing IPl’s praise due to the money that’s thrown at them. For the right money foreign experts will stand to India’s anthem and put a hand on their chest a sing it word for word...

Last edited by a moderator:
"Ipl bigger brand then Pakistan cricket team" biggest joke off the century.:facepalm

On topic Afridi has to stop this nonsense nobody misses Pakistani players not playing in the Ipl.

All cricketers should leave politics out of cricket and then we don't have a problem. I don't know of any active Pakistani cricketer who has publicly commented on it anyway.

Do Indians actually want to solve the issue of hatred between the two neighbours? Not sure you do tbh.

Can this guy stop talking non-sense like this , whats the point talking about IPL and Pakistani players playing in it.

Best of Australia: Warner finch maxwell Cummins Smith zampa stoinis Hazelwood Phillippe
Best Australian 11 to play a t20 world cup is part of ipl...similarly the best of South Africa (rabada dekock Miller faf )NewZealand England India West Indies Afghanistan are part of IPL ...which makes it the world class league it is and only people missing are Lankans bangladesh and Pskistan..these 3 teams are at the bottom of the table..reason being they are not part of IPL.
Thats why every notable cricket commentator wants them to be part of IPL so their own standards can be improved..

The only way Pakistani players will get to play in the IPL is the Azhar Mahmood route - marry a British citizen, get British citizenship and then get selected for the tournament.

At the moment, Junaid Khan, Imad Wasim and Mohammad Amir are all married to British girls.

The only way Pakistani players will get to play in the IPL is the Azhar Mahmood route - marry a British citizen, get British citizenship and then get selected for the tournament.

At the moment, Junaid Khan, Imad Wasim and Mohammad Amir are all married to British girls.

Usama Mir also.

And Zafar Gohar.

Shahid Afridi must have lost out on atleast $3-5mm all in due to no IPL. Random Aussie and Saffer nobodies got chances

With 4 foreign players a side rule, effectively all foreign players in the world compete for 32 positions and with shuffling you are talking about a max foreign 40-50 players getting a chance to play.

So the competition is very tough for all and often some top notch talent has to sit atthe bench. No shame in it.

They are not competing for 32 positions. More 45-50 since most sides have 2-3 extra foreign players. This is why guys like Billings and Pomersbash and Henriques etc got roles in IPL before their international debuts. Many of these international ipl players never even made it big in international cricket

Imran Tahir is 41 now and several notches below the Imran Tahir of even 37 years old. But he is still getting to be selected in auctions which tells a lot.

Back