Pakistan's performance in the super-over against USA in the ICC T20 World Cup

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
A few questions

1. Did the right bowler bowl it?
2. Did the right batters come out to bat?

looooool such a horrible team
choking over with so many wides
then iftikhar opening
then shadab coming in

i dont think we have played enough super overs maybe thats why dumb decisions were made

I thought Amir would have been a good option based on his bowling in the match but I was wary of him bowling wides so wasn’t sure. That turned out to be fatal.

Shadab definitely shouldn’t have come out to bat when Iftikhar went. I wouldn’t have sent Iftikhar to open, as he’s more off then on! I would have gone for Rizwan, Fakhar to open.

shadab playing a super over makes 0 sense.

If Usman, or Babar cant play a super over, than it makes you question what are they doing in t20.
Don't think Usman would get the opportunity.

But Babar is the captain..he could put himself forward.

Instead he sat inside.

To me that's unforgivable and the salt on the wounds were when he sent Shadab instead of coming out himself.

Instead he sat inside.

To me that's unforgivable and the salt on the wounds were when he sent Shadab instead of coming out himself.

Babar is the only Pakistan player who can hit to both sides of the wicket so for that reason alone he should have come out. I thought it would be Rizwan and Fakhar and I was worried they would be stumped if the bowlers bowled wide of off stump. In the end it didn't matter.

Instead he sat inside.

Babar has lost it.

Like he preferred Usman over Saim Ayub. And than they keep playing Azam Khan.

Now i dont get the thinking. So if Azam Khan didnt get out on the first ball, the thinkthank would had sent him out to bat, but because he got out in an ugly fashion the thinkthank figured that he is not good enough for international cricket.

UMM ok

But this is something we figured out during his debut series 2 years ago...

To me it seems, when Babar goes back and sleeps, he forgets everything that happened, and starts a new day with new info.

Like Shadab sucked in India(spinners paradise) and we were desperate to bring Abrar in. Yet even today Abrar sat out.

lol did you only watch the super over and skipped rest of the game

the only bowler who didn't give boundaries had the best econn between all the bowlers and took an important wicket

your shaheen's and raufs were going for 9 an over and amir only 6 an over
Sorry but Amir can't be defended today.

That was the mother of all chokes.

Completely inexcusable.

lol did you only watch the super over and skipped rest of the game

the only bowler who didn't give boundaries had the best econn between all the bowlers and took an important wicket

your shaheen's and raufs were going for 9 an over and amir only 6 an over
so that is your celebration? The only bowler who dindt give boundaries, yet in a super over gave away wides and threw the match away.

The go to bowler was always Naseem Shah or Shaheen, becuase Amir is crap and he showed his crap bowling in the super over.

It is shocking that Babar Rizwan didn’t have any faith in themselves and didn’t come out to bat.

Babar has lost it.

Like he preferred Usman over Saim Ayub. And than they keep playing Azam Khan.

Now i dont get the thinking. So if Azam Khan didnt get out on the first ball, the thinkthank would had sent him out to bat, but because he got out in an ugly fashion the thinkthank figured that he is not good enough for international cricket.

UMM ok

But this is something we figured out during his debut series 2 years ago...

To me it seems, when Babar goes back and sleeps, he forgets everything that happened, and starts a new day with new info.

Like Shadab sucked in India(spinners paradise) and we were desperate to bring Abrar in. Yet even today Abrar sat out.
He is a dud. Can't think at all. Has a ratta type formula and just sticks to it.

But the fact he can't back himself to come and bat is a new low in my eyes.

They claim that he has to bat because the middle order are incapable...but in the biggest pressure situations he sat on the bench. It's worse than Imran making his followers go to jail a year or so ago but trying his best to evade arrest lol

The rest would have done just as bad to be honest. The last 40 overs was the issue

Sorry but Amir can't be defended today.

That was the mother of all chokes.

Completely inexcusable.
I agree, but this goes for chacha as well, you've given him a much much longer rope.

My patience has run thin with Amir now though, he's too much of a variation type bowler, which is something part timers bowl, not full pacers who are expected to swing in and get those wickets.

All the pacers suck, Rauf is a run machine, Amir bowls like a part timer, shaheen can't stop overpitching, Naseem can't bowl anything beyond that test length short.

They need to learn from Nathan Ellis, Josh Hazelwood and Cummings on how to bowl, heck even burnt out end of the line stark is banging those inswings in

shaheen rauf and naseem would have been alot worse
Haris choked badly during the final over of the game. No excuses for him either.

But I don't think it's possible to do worse than Amirs superover over. One of the worst that's ever been bowled.

I agree, but this goes for chacha as well, you've given him a much much longer rope.

My patience has run thin with Amir now though, he's too much of a variation type bowler, which is something part timers bowl, not full pacers who are expected to swing in and get those wickets.

All the pacers suck, Rauf is a run machine, Amir bowls like a part timer, shaheen can't stop overpitching, Naseem can't bowl anything beyond that test length short.

They need to learn from Nathan Ellis, Josh Hazelwood and Cummings on how to bowl, heck even burnt out end of the line stark is banging those inswings in

Chacha is the best we have for this position.

That's the reality of our cricket.

We can just hope he does well. Can't defend his batting today either.

That was a tactical and leadership disaster all the way through from Pakistan.

Their powerplay batting at the start, their bowling plans and fielding in the super over, then almost breaching the regulation time to choose their own super over batsmen and coming out to bat late.

Babar Azam hiding himself away in the dugout at the end.

All time low.

shaheen rauf and naseem would have been alot worse
Tbf naseem bowled better then everyone today. But Amir's wides are what caused the issue.

Regardless the biggest tproblem Pakistan has is chacha, Azam and shadab

I thought the decision to bowl Amir was right, I think he bowled well in the innings and with his experience he was the right choice.

Batting choices were horribly wrong. Fakhar and Usman should have opened and then Shadab at # 3 just because he had actually scored in the actual match.

Chacha is the best we have for this position.

That's the reality of our cricket.

We can just hope he does well. Can't defend his batting today either.
He is not, because he is not a finisher plain and simple nor a striker and both Muhammad haris and tayyab can strike better then he can if they play at no 6 or 7.

Chacha is a middle order batter pretending to be a finisher because he's a very very poor mo batter and he can hide behind the excuse that you're hiding behind which is we don't have anyone else, he's best suited.

Even imad wasim is better them chacha at 6, imad sucks at hitting a 6 but he has no issue going at 200 sr at no 6

They were even cra**ing it when coming out to bat for the super over as it took them so much time to come into bat. What a dharr pook team, disgrace to the legends of Pakistan cricket team before them.

He is not, because he is not a finisher plain and simple nor a striker and both Muhammad haris and tayyab can strike better then he can if they play at no 6 or 7.

Chacha is a middle order batter pretending to be a finisher because he's a very very poor mo batter and he can hide behind the excuse that you're hiding behind which is we don't have anyone else, he's best suited.

Even imad wasim is better them chacha at 6, imad sucks at hitting a 6 but he has no issue going at 200 sr at no 6

We have been preparing this side for two years( maybe more).

If you want me to go back in time and ask shall we give Haris and Tayyib a run of games. I would say yes. I've always advocated experimentation.

I wouldn't through them in at the lions den for the world cup. It has to be Chacha. It has to be Babars side. Let's get this world cup out of the way and rebuild for the next one.

For now he is the man for the job in the Carribbean. Let's hope he executes it at some point because he can do better than what he is doing.

Cometh the time, the bestest opening pair in the world was more worried about preserving their title by hiding in the pavilion than exposing themselves by going out and win it for the nation.
:inti

This match exposed Pakistan on so many levels, can't say some of us are surprised.

It once and for all settles how selfish Babar and Rizwan are, they are both fully aware they are not good enough to bat in the top order, if they had come out for the super-over, maybe you could call them delusional. But they didn't because were fully aware that they are not the best hitters in the team and they confirmed that they are fully aware they are not suited to exploit the PP.

Instead, they reinforced the view a few people have around here and get in trouble for, and it is that both Babar and Rizwan do not play for Pakistan, they play for themselves, they play for their averages, they play to protect their brand and they play to protect their positions in the team and ensure their longevity

Both Babar and Rizwan do not want to deal with any kind of pressure on the pitch, as sportsman it's an aspect which is extremely foreign to them.

Rizwan was giggling after the draw which was pretty pathetic and by the end of Amir's over, you could see how upset he was, I can guarantee you if Pakistan were chasing something like 10 runs he would danced to the pitch.

I am ashamed of these two people, they both make me sick to my stomach.

What prep? The selectors looked at the stats of PSL and some other BS league cricket and made their decision. They were all literally overweight a few months ago, some still are. There has been no preparation.

neither opener is a big hitter, Babar nor rizwan are big power hitters, Fakher should have come and they asked the umpires If he can take both wickets. Our actual big hitter hasn't hit big in 12 innings (Azam Khan). Sending out the finisher chacha :D , has he ever finished anything for Pakistan.

Cometh the time, the bestest opening pair in the world was more worried about preserving their title by hiding in the pavilion than exposing themselves by going out and win it for the nation.
:inti

They aren't power hitters though. Zaman and Chacha was the right call.

If you want me to go back in time and ask shall we give Haris and Tayyib a run of games. I would say yes. I've always advocated experimentation.

I wouldn't through them in at the lions den for the world cup. It has to be Chacha. It has to be Babars side. Let's get this world cup out of the way and rebuild for the next one.

For now he is the man for the job in the Carribbean. Let's hope he executes it at some point because he can do better than what he is doing.
Why was Abdullah shafiw thrown into the den in wc 2023?

Why was fakhar thrown into the den for 2017 ct? If I brought this argument up then would you say no let's go for shehzad?

This den thing is an excuse to justify favouritism towards chacha and I will call both you and @Major out 24/7.

Both of you need to avoid these double standards and be like me, equally tear apart and rip all bad performers today like I'm ripping Amir and Chacha in half.

Last edited by a moderator:
so that is your celebration? The only bowler who dindt give boundaries, yet in a super over gave away wides and threw the match away.

The go to bowler was always Naseem Shah or Shaheen, becuase Amir is crap and he showed his crap bowling in the super over.
unlike you i don't celebrate personal milestones of players

but to say amir was the wrong choice to bowl when he was the best bowler in the game is just out of hate.

naseem gave more boundaries and less dot balls if you don't understand what that means ask me

Alhamdolillah we won. Good day to be dual citizen.
Amir decision was fine.
Fakhar should have opened or Azam. His only role is Six hitting and target was too high for just 4s.

Babar came to the rescue with a blistering knock otherwise Pakistan would have folded for 125. Rizwan took blinders while keeping showing the world he’s the best in business.

There's so much to dissect from the Super Over alone !

Amir had a meltdown bowling those wides and the fielding crumbled under pressure. There was open infighting and I swear I heard an "F Off" over the microphone.

Then we took an eternity to decide on the batsmen for the Super Over with the USA even appealing for a timed out. We eventually settle on Fakhar and Iftikhar.

Fakhar, our in-form player and our best powerhitter, didn't face a ball while the horribly out-of-form Iftikhar was first up !

And as mentioned earlier, if we entrust Babar and Rizwan to exploit the PP as openers then how come they can't face up to a Super Over against USA of all teams ?

Just wow. When you think you've seen everything in Pakistan cricket !

After conceding so many runs in the super over, Babar Azam should have faced the music and come out to bat. Even if 19 to win was a tall order, go down fighting and leading your team. A very cowardly move imho for him to sit this one out.

The whole thing was shambolic but why are we all suprised by this?

Then we took an eternity to decide on the batsmen for the Super Over with the USA even appealing for a timed out.

That part was truly amazing. Don't think I have ever seen anything like it before in 25+ years of watching cricket. Pakistan looked like they were going to forfeit the game at one point!

After conceding so many runs in the super over, Babar Azam should have faced the music and come out to bat. Even if 19 to win was a tall order, go down fighting and leading your team. A very cowardly move imho for him to sit this one out.
Babar is possible one of the worst captains I have ever seen on a cricket field...

BUT the right choice would have been to have Fakhar open and face the first ball.... I can't think of any other batter in the team that could have done any better at the other end...

The issues with the team are deep rooted and won't simply disappear

He sent his best ball strikers in. At least he knows his limitations or maybe Kirsten does. This was a no-win situation for him. He wouldn’t be able to hit boundaries when needed to save his life.

I don't want to defend Babar and Rizwan here but I think the right decision was taken by not having them come out to bat...
they're ok when there is 20 overs in front of them but they just don't have it in them to chase down 19 in one over

Babar as captain and people expected something else. Like I said 2021/2022 were our chance got lucky and made finals. We ain't sniffing an ICC final for a few decades now. Suck it up.

Babar as captain and people expected something else. Like I said 2021/2022 were our chance got lucky and made finals. We ain't sniffing an ICC final for a few decades now. Suck it up.
I love your pfp, you don't even need to say anything to attack the babar regime 😂😂

Pakistan chucked it and downed tools. You could see that both in bowling and batting, they had given up even before the SO.

The body language from Pakistan in the field when USA were building a partnership was so so poor. Threw in the towel.

Where are the backers of Iftikar and Azam Khan? Stay in hiding.

What did Fakhar do at #4, apparently he was - wait for this - in the T20i form of his life.

Yes Rizwan flopped, Babar ok, but the rest of the team had a chance to redeem themselves but blew it royally.

Afridi and Rauf are dead weight now. Utterly useless.

Should never have been a super over.

Though I am sure Imad Wasim would've saved the day. 😂

Some one please trace Mohsin Naqvi's location and share it with Pakistan fans :ROFLMAO:

Yes it was the right strategy. Amir had to bowl. Perhaps Naseem did a bit better but he’s 21 and low on experience. You’ve got to go with your bowler who is used to pressure situations. Naseem wasn’t exactly bowling great before this match either. Can’t fault the decision. Though pretty sure Naseem wouldn’t have bowled this bad, though before the super over you wouldn’t have expected Amir to bowl like that either. If the excuse was fitness/tiredness surely Amir would have made that clear before he bowled to the captain/management.

Iftikhar and Fakhar was the logical pairing. It was a high total to face, you go with your hitters. And of course you can’t really pick Azam. Fakhar should have faced first ball. Iftikhar yet again failed in a clutch moment, he keeps doing this in international cricket in PSL. What can you really do. Tbh not sure it would have mattered if fakhar faced first ball anyway, it was a tough target to chase regardless, and all the pressure was on us.

shadab playing a super over makes 0 sense.

If Usman, or Babar cant play a super over, than it makes you question what are they doing in t20.
You should ask Misbah who made Babar and Rizwan T20 openers

Right decision with Amir except I think it was too hot out there and he was exhausted.

Fakhar should obviously have taken strike.

They deserve all the flak they are getting this time. While US is decent team Pak played pathetic cricket 70% of the time.

I blame Rauf for the last ball four too, that was a bad last over, Nitin was not middling any ball and got that boundary.

What did Fakhar do at #4, apparently he was - wait for this - in the T20i form of his life.

Yes Rizwan flopped, Babar ok, but the rest of the team had a chance to redeem themselves but blew it royally.

Babar wasn’t ok, tbf.

He played at a run a ball, instead of putting the pressure back on to the USA, he kept the pressure on his team.

His captaincy was awful, he had Long off inside the circle when Rauf was pitching the ball up, that last ball 4 should’ve been a single.

Hiding on the bench for the super over, in modern day cricket every batsman should be capable of hitting boundaries at will.

Babar wasn’t ok, tbf.

He played at a run a ball, instead of putting the pressure back on to the USA, he kept the pressure on his team.

His captaincy was awful, he had Long off inside the circle when Rauf was pitching the ball up, that last ball 4 should’ve been a single.

Hiding on the bench for the super over, in modern day cricket every batsman should be capable of hitting boundaries at will.
Herrondous captaincy.

Babar wasn’t ok, tbf.

Everyone chickened out once 19 runs was target. Even Fakhar evaded first ball so Chacha could get all the blame. Team full of turkeys and a whale masquerading as an international cricketer.

Amir was the right choice.

The batting baffles me. Has Gary Kristen not got ANY input here? Left arm bowler why on earth did Fakhar not take strike? Based on the angle alone it was tailor made for him! Who on earth decided Chacha would be a good choice with him. I expected Fakhar/Babar. I'm confused with what I have seen tonight.

Yes Rizwan flopped, Babar ok, but the rest of the team had a chance to redeem themselves but blew it royally
Yes the rest of the team should have redeemed themselves once the two golden boys got what they wanted as always

Everyone chickened out once 19 runs was target. Even Fakhar evaded first ball so Chacha could get all the blame. Team full of turkeys and a whale masquerading as an international cricketer.

I know you might have meant this as a joke,but truth is once the target was 18 runs, no one wanted to go out and be the villain, least of all our pompous Babar Azam.

Babar said he would bowl Naseem instead of Bumrah to defend 10 runs in the last over

What happened to him today? Where was Naseem?

Nah, i won’t blame Fakhar because he’s the only one that stands up when it matters. He’s a yes man, he doesn’t speak up, if Babar tells him to bat at 9 he’ll bat at 9 and he’ll never complain. Babar probably told him he’ll be off strike

Babar is the highest run getter in T20Is this year now. That’s commendable and must not be lost sight of. If he didn’t do so well today, Pakistan would have been bundled for 125. He kept the innings going. He’s the best in the world.

Babar said he would bowl Naseem instead of Bumrah to defend 10 runs in the last over

What happened to him today? Where was Naseem?
They were not defending , but anyway more apt question should be if Pakistan were chasing 10 in the last over, would we have seen Babar come out to bat?

Folks talking about power hitters and all that but you are face to face with a team of literal amateurs here. If Babar isn't confident enough to come up and bat against them then there are some serious issues with that guy. This was simply inexcusable. He should have been out there facing the opposition in the super over.

Folks talking about power hitters and all that but you are face to face with a team of literal amateurs here. If Babar isn't confident enough to come up and bat against them then there are some serious issues with that guy. This was simply inexcusable. He should have been out there facing the opposition in the super over.
Babars cowardice even brought you out of retirement from posting.

Basically Amir brought us back in the match and then he lost it in the Super over. No one else really to blame except maybe having Fakhar face the first ball but 19 was a very tall ask anyway, so don't think that would have made much of a difference with him hitting to the longer boundary on the leg side.

Why the heck is Shadab coming out to bat in the super over.
Why is fakhar not taking strike in the powerplay.

Basically Amir brought us back in the match and then he lost it in the Super over. No one else really to blame except maybe having Fakhar face the first ball but 19 was a very tall ask anyway, so don't think that would have made much of a difference with him hitting to the longer boundary on the leg side.
Thier was overthrows misfields.

I can't believe people are bashing Amir for this loss. It was the best decision to bowl him, and you take what comes with your best decisions. It's only because of Amir that Pak even came close to victory, before Rauf blew it in the last over. Amir's last 3 overs were absolutely brilliant and his last 2 were crucial to bringing Pakistan back into the game. Great cutters and yorkers.

Yes, the super over was horrible. He didn't execute his plans well. But there are bigger problems to address. Azam Khan and Shadab should not even be near the side. The fielding needs to improve. The PP needs to be utilized better. All these things need to be worked on. Hats off to Amir today. Even his pace was up. That was the quickest I've seen him bowl in many years

Not to mention sending Ifti out. Fakhar should have gone on strike with Usman Khan at the other end

Back