Patrice Evra - The best left back in the world

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Yes its a controversial statement, but I think I'm right :

I watch him week in and week out and the lad is brilliant and is getting better and better.

ummmnn .. well he doesn't have much competition .. not too many notable left backs out there now.

i'd say overall (going forward and defensively) he is indeed the best currently.

Ive been saying this for ages, but no one ever really buys it. For the last three seasons, he has been fantastic. Links up well with every winger that has played for United down the left - Giggs, Ronaldo, Nani, Park and more recently Obertan. Kept Messi in his pocket in both legs of the semi final in the CL in 2008. Ok, he has had the odd off game against Aaron Lennon, but buy and large been the most consistently brilliant full back out there.

If Ashley Cole wasn't English, then you would find that the media in the UK would give him his due. Ashley has been released slightly after Mourinho left, but is still not the same player he was at Arsenal.

Just thinking back to his debut against City, which was one of the worst performances I have ever seen from someone in a United shirt, I can't believe he is the same player.

Last edited:
Zahid87 said:
Ive been saying this for ages, but no one ever really buys it. For the last three seasons, he has been fantastic. Links up well with every winger that has played for United down the left - Giggs, Ronaldo, Nani, Park and more recently Obertan. Kept Messi in his pocket in both legs of the semi final in the CL in 2008. Ok, he has had the odd off game against Aaron Lennon, but buy and large been the most consistently brilliant full back out there.

If Ashley Cole wasn't English, then you would find that the media in the UK would give him his due. Ashley has been released slightly after Mourinho left, but is still not the same player he was at Arsenal.

Just thinking back to his debut against City, which was one of the worst performances I have ever seen from someone in a United shirt, I can't believe he is the same player.

Ahem ahem, I been saying this as welll you know :p

A certain group of posters on here even said Clichy was better. :))

I think Evra's biggest downfall was that he did not feature in the national team and somehow Abidal got picked over him. Domenech has finally got something right, and Evra is starting. His attacking prowess for a left back is incredible. He finds himself some fantastic positions and is not afraid to cut in.

Evra along with Vidic, are amongst Fergie's best buys in terms of value to performance (probably rate the Cantona buy the best and next Irwin).

Evra has had a great start to the season - best left back in the world? Maybe BUT there is hardly a lot of competition

Also he was a bit dodgy last season at times BUT did get better as the season went on. On form Clichy is quality and pretty much on a par with Evra BUT his form has been very hit and miss of late

Geordie Ahmed said:
Evra has had a great start to the season - best left back in the world? Maybe BUT there is hardly a lot of competition

Also he was a bit dodgy last season at times BUT did get better as the season went on. On form Clichy is quality and pretty much on a par with Evra BUT his form has been very hit and miss of late

No one is just talking about this season. Over the course of the past 3 seasons, Evra has been the best and most consisent. Had a bit of dip in form, but that was short lived and he was back to the Evra we know.

Clichy makes too many errors from time to time and that is why I rate Evra higher.

Amir said:
No one is just talking about this season. Over the course of the past 3 seasons, Evra has been the best and most consisent. Had a bit of dip in form, but that was short lived and he was back to the Evra we know.

Clichy makes too many errors from time to time and that is why I rate Evra higher.

Well the thread says The best left back in the world - what he did 3 years ago doesnt really matter - deciding who the best left back is, is usually based on current form

Geordie Ahmed said:
Well the thread says The best left back in the world - what he did 3 years ago doesnt really matter - deciding who the best left back is, is usually based on current form

lol and on current form no one is better

does that also make John O'Shea the best RB in the world then?

Patrice Evra is the best left back for me right now. Forget that he plays for Manchester United. The guy makes a huge difference every time he gets the ball. His passion for the game is top notch and his talent level is brilliant as well.

The fact that he plays intelligent football is what makes him so good and yet so deadly.

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:

maybe.. :D

Nah.. I think we can give that one to Maicon.

uff I hate that b***ard...but yes, he is one helluva player

If a player plays for Man United, he has to be good.

As far as RB goes, Maicon heads that list.

Young Rafael is not that bad prospect but he needs to prove himself over the coming few years.

Geordie Ahmed said:

Sorry meant "only just this season." My comment still stands, he has been the most consistent over a long run of games.

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:

No but even then O'Shea probably does a commendable job (at defending) as any of the other best RBs in the game!

Amir said:
Sorry meant "only just this season." My comment still stands, he has been the most consistent over a long run of games.

I would agree with you, certainly in the Premiership - havnt seen enough of the likes of Lahm etc to say for certain about other leagues BUT from what i have read they have not been anything special

Afridi_Fan said:
If a player plays for Man United, he has to be good.

As far as RB goes, Maicon heads that list.

Young Rafael is not that bad prospect but he needs to prove himself over the coming few years.

like Louis Saha? :))

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:
like Louis Saha? :))

Louis Saha was absolute quality. Had pace, could finish, could dribble, use both feet and was a good header of the ball too. If he could have stayed injury free we would have been amazing. The season where he began to come in to his own was when we played our best football - 2006/07. I only wish that we had a striker like him now.

Was there at OT when he scored against Chelsea too; his finish was superb. Would youtube it but cant at work.

You may not believe me, but ask fans who watched him play and they will tell you the same. Look at him when he plays for Everton. Not him at his best, but he shows glimpses of his quality. Been one of the better strikers in the league this year too.

Last edited:
oh I saw a lot of him when he was at ManUre...United was had quite the team in that season, were brilliant going forward, but overall Saha's stint at Old Trafford was a disappointment

Ahmed Zulfiqar said:
oh I saw a lot of him when he was at ManUre...United was had quite the team in that season, were brilliant going forward, but overall Saha's stint at Old Trafford was a disappointment

Thats true, it was always one of what could have been. But injuries cost him big time, and his confidence also took a blow.

wait wait wait, I got one some good ones...Kleberson? Djemba-Djemba? :D

It's between Evra and Ashley. Ashley's been in fantastic form for the past 7-8 months. Under Hiddink, he and Malouda made that left side their own and dominated teams. This season Ashley's been excellent, given greater license to maraud forward which has resulted in goals and assists. His defending has always been top notch.

Evra is excellent as well. Strong, great engine, good going forward, good in the air, good crosser, and solid in defense as well.

On current form it's a bit of a toss up.

Saj said:
Yes its a controversial statement, but I think I'm right :

I watch him week in and week out and the lad is brilliant and is getting better and better.
This guy is not only the best left back he is one of the best players in premiership but he does not get recognition he deserves because he is not english plus being a defender he does not get the headlines.

Thread seems to have diverted a bit BUT i might aswell add my 2 pennies worth

Louis Saha is a crock, made of glass BUT the guy is a quality player - when he is fit (admittedly a rareity) he is an asset. He is such a clever player aswell, has plenty of attributes.

Shahid A said:
Na I'd Give It TO Sagna

I don't think so. If you say he's as good as Alves or Ramos then I might agree with you. One can argue Sagna is on par with these guys.

No doubt Sagna is a good right back but Maicon is the best.

Last edited:
Patrice Evra: Former Man United & France defender retires - and plans to 'lead team'

Former Manchester United and France defender Patrice Evra has announced his retirement and says he will "be ready to lead a team" within two years.

The 38-year-old confirmed his career is "officially over" and will move into coaching.

Evra made almost 700 appearances for eight different clubs, including Monaco and Juventus over two decades.

His honours included winning five Premier League titles, two Serie A titles and one Champions League.

He also made 81 appearances for France, although he was banned for five games after French players boycotted training at the 2010 World Cup in support of Nicolas Anelka, who was sent home for insulting coach Raymond Domenech.

Evra played 379 games for United between 2006 and 2014 before moving to Juventus.

He joined Marseille in January 2017 but left the club in November after kicking a fan before a Europa League match.

He was signed by West Ham in February 2018 and made his last appearance of his playing career for the Hammers in May 2018.

Evra left the London club at the end of that season, having played just five times.

He told Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport of his decision to retire and that he would aim to finish his coaching qualifications in the next 18 months.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49154123

Back