PCB announce that 2 new teams will be added to PSL in 2026

Which two new teams would you recommend adding to the PSL in 2026?

• Total voters

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
At the PCB and PSL Franchise Owners meeting, the discussion focused on finalizing the window for PSL 2025. The PCB offered assistance to franchise owners in signing marquee players for several years.

PSL 2025 will be the last event with six teams, as there are plans to add two more teams in 2026. The PCB believes that scheduling PSL and IPL in the April/May window will benefit the game, players, and fans, allowing the leagues to coexist and flourish.

Additionally, the PCB and franchise owners discussed the option of each franchise directly signing one player, in addition to the marquee player support offered by the PCB.

The PCB is considering Peshawar and Quetta as possible venues for PSL, contingent upon the conditions in both cities being conducive and supportive. Mohsen Naqvi aims to reintegrate Peshawar and Quetta into the Pakistan cricket calendar by scheduling domestic matches there in the 2024-25 season.

I am not sure if this is the right move. I think the existing teams and the league need more breathing room to grow.

I think the league needs get to a proper home/away schedule. That should be one of the main focuses. Doing this will give the league a more professional look and setup and more importantly will grow the league by increasing local team fan following.

Just adding a couple of teams and having them play in Karachi or Lahore may not add much.

Faislabad and Sialkot.

You can look into Muzaffarabad, Gilgit Baltistan, FATA, Gwadar, Hyderabad in the future when the league grows and is commercially successful

Muzaffarabad and Gilgit.

Get the lesser regions involved with Pak.

However, I think this will reduce the quality of the league - adding more teams.

Muzaffarabad and Gilgit.

However, I think this will reduce the quality of the league - adding more teams.
If anything teams like kashmir mirpur gujranwala, faislabad and sialkot should be added more population in those cities

Faisalabad are the winners of the first ever champions league. They are cricketing titans that need revived.

Does anyone remember the tournament where local teams of countries played local teams of other countries?

That's the first thing and shoib malik came in my mind. Was a top team
Great team. One of the best T20 teams in the world at the time.

Imran Nazir
Hafeez
Malik
Mohammad Asif
Rana Naveed
Abdul Razzaq

Stallions and Hampshire T20 side around 2006/7 were two standout T20 teams in the world

Kevin Pietersen
Shane Warne
Micheal Lumb
Sean Ervine
Micheal Carberry
Dimitri Mascheranhas

Beautiful times

Great team. One of the best T20 teams in the world at the time.

Imran Nazir
Hafeez
Malik
Mohammad Asif
Rana Naveed
Abdul Razzaq

Stallions and Hampshire T20 side around 2006/7 were two standout T20 teams in the world

Kevin Pietersen
Shane Warne
Micheal Lumb
Sean Ervine
Micheal Carberry
Dimitri Mascheranhas

Beautiful times
Imran nazir what a batsmen I still remember him

We need a imran nazir type batsmen in the team ASAP

Imran nazir what a batsmen I still remember him

We need a imran nazir type batsmen in the team ASAP
Someone asked Imran Nazir in an interview, who does he see as the Imran Nazir type player in Pakistan. His first reply was Fakhar Zaman and he also mentioned Sharjeel Khan, and how highly he rates Sharjeel. He did advise him though to cut down on some weight which is fair.

I don't know if this is the right decision, however I would hope the league is in a better position as well as refurbished stadiums, fan going experience & players availability.

That’s ridiculous. Neither Pakistan has talent nor abundance of quality foreign players’ pool to add two more teams.

For the first time in its history IPL may face a stiff competition as PSL 10 may go side by side with IPL 2025. With 8 teams next season PSL 10 may last for a longer period. So it would be an interesting period for fans as two of the biggest franchise leagues would endeavor against each other to steal the limelight amongst fans.

Too early. We don't have the depth to add 2 teams without improving the Domestic cricket which wasn't strong under IKs provincial tournament and now is a total mess with teams like Ghani Glass led by the legend Moeed Ghani and his dad. Should have added one and work towards the 2nd, 3yrs later

Bigger question is that is it right for the PCB to over rule the PSL Franchise objections to hold the PSL alongside the IPL? Apparantly most of the Franchises are oppossing the move but the PCB is stating that they are the final authority on the PSL and the franchises right now are not seeing the bigger picture as to why this move could be a game changer for the PSL.

Too early. We don't have the depth to add 2 teams without improving the Domestic cricket which wasn't strong under IKs provincial tournament and now is a total mess with teams like Ghani Glass led by the legend Moeed Ghani and his dad.

Its not too early, i would say the move was long over due. A lot of good players go unsold and miss out in the PSL. Having 2 more teams will help to accomodate them and will enhance the quality of the tournament. Private Sector involvement always enhances quality.

Can't get Karachi people to attend matches in the stadium and adding two more teams already.

Expansion should be when the overall teams have been turned into successful brand imo

People of Karachi is more a reflection of how poorly managed Karachi Kings as a franchise is. Apart from Karachi, all other teams have no issues in getting crowds to attend games in the stadiums.

Muzaffarabad and Gilgit.

This logic does not make sense. Having more quality unsold/unpicked foreign players and domestic players in the additional 2 teams will increase the quality.

Its not too early, i would say the move was long over due. A lot of good players go unsold and miss out in the PSL. Having 2 more teams will help to accomodate them and will enhance the quality of the tournament. Private Sector involvement always enhances quality.
Really? Who are the 22 players that are good enough to play. There will be the odd bowler but 22 players? That would go against the trade descriptions act.

Bigger question is that is it right for the PCB to over rule the PSL Franchise objections to hold the PSL alongside the IPL? Apparantly most of the Franchises are oppossing the move but the PCB is stating that they are the final authority on the PSL and the franchises right now are not seeing the bigger picture as to why this move could be a game changer for the PSL.
The PCB is right on this.

Really? Who are the 22 players that are good enough to play. There will be the odd bowler but 22 players? That would go against the trade descriptions act.

I can name a few i.e. Ahmed Shehzad, Umar Akmal, Sharjeel Khan, Sohaib Maqsood and many others. These players might not be good enough to play for Pakistan but are still good enough for domestic, league levels

I think it is better to pick players from regions that have not been selected yet so that local players will get more exposure, so i wil pick Muzaffarabad and Gilgit.

I can name a few i.e. Ahmed Shehzad, Umar Akmal, Sharjeel Khan, Sohaib Maqsood and many others. These players might not be good enough to play for Pakistan but are still good enough for domestic, league levels
If this is the talent being missed then we aren't missing anything. We need 22 players plus at least 6 squad members. That is 28 players and domestic scene hasnt got it.

This logic does not make sense. Having more quality unsold/unpicked foreign players and domestic players in the additional 2 teams will increase the quality.
It does make sense because there isn't enough quality to spread around.

Who are these top local and foreign players missing to fill in another two teams?

Even this years foreign platinum players had mediocre quality.

About time. 6 teams and 4 of them reaching the qualifiers was just too easy. Need 2 more teams to expand the pool and give chance to more teams. We can have Faisalabad and Muzaffarabad cuz these teams have their own grounds too where they can play

It's a shame that's iconic fan base stadium in PsL , Rawalpindi doesn't have their team so definitely Rawalpindi Royals should be added will also give fans a taste of Derby when Isb play Rwp

It's a shame that's iconic fan base stadium in PsL , Rawalpindi doesn't have their team so definitely Rawalpindi Royals should be added will also give fans a taste of Derby when Isb play Rwp

Rawalpindi due to its close proximity to Islamabad is Islamabad United's home ground.

Rawalpindi due to its close proximity to Islamabad is Islamabad United's home ground.
Islamabad needs a proper name. What the hell does United mean in the PK context. Surely they Quetta and Karachi can find local land marks, birds or something else to name their teams.

Those players would bring the quality down. They go unsold because they are past their prime and they come with a large baggage not because they are many other quality players available.

Good news, with the size of the country, 6 teams is too few.

only 1 team is required in my opinion as IPL is now getting criticized for being too lengthy

The next two teams should be cities that have a stadium and can host games.

Ideally it should be Rawalpinidi and Faisalabad.

Sialkot and Gujranwala can also be considered.

Mardan, Gilgit and any Northern or KPK team is not needed as you cant host a game there.

Sindh is underdeveloped and has no stadiums or hotels to host games. I dont know, maybe if Hyderabad can be added, but not sure if there is a proepr stadium or hotel there.

The next 4 teams should need to come from Punjab.

Absurd logic, Islamabad is a city of people from all over Pakistan whereas Rawalpindi still has more than 60% population living there since 1947, they deserve a separate team

I think there should be 1 team from AJK so Muzaffrabad or Mirpur should be one of the teams, the other one can be from Sialkot or Faisalabad.

PCB finally moving towards something different. 6 team setup was a bit too boring and sometimes it even gets predictable so let's go PCB.

PSL now has the window now to proper home-away format.

I propose GB, Muzzafarabad and Gwadar as the new teams. Those regions are not represented presently in PSL. Just imagine Bobby and No-luke kid opening one evening in GB and two day later in Gwadar. Bah Gawd.

:sa

The next two teams should be cities that have a stadium and can host games.

Ideally it should be Rawalpinidi and Faisalabad.

Sialkot and Gujranwala can also be considered.

Mardan, Gilgit and any Northern or KPK team is not needed as you cant host a game there.

Sindh is underdeveloped and has no stadiums or hotels to host games. I dont know, maybe if Hyderabad can be added, but not sure if there is a proepr stadium or hotel there.

The next 4 teams should need to come from Punjab.
Very hard to distinguish between Islamabad and Rawalpindi at this point.

For instance, the people for DHA, Bahria and all the localities nearby - who would they support? Rawalpindi or Islamabad.

If anything, I think they should make Islamabad and Rawalpindi into one team and give them a name that represents both cities. Like the Twin Kings or something?

Living in Islamabad, I am sure you would be able to understand. A lot of people who have grown up in Islamabad have moved to DHA/Bahria whereas a lot of people growing up in traditional Pindi have moved to these areas too or moved to places in traditional Islamabad.

Looks like this will not be an easy road for PCB.

==

The consensus, according to sources, took place during the meeting between the respective representatives of the six franchises and the higher officials of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) on Thursday.

With Pakistan to host the ICC Champions Trophy next year, the PSL will have to be moved to the April-May window. But this change will apply to future editions as well, given that the addition of teams will increase the number of matches.

Holding the PSL in the April-May window would mean the tournament will clash with the Indian Premier League (IPL). While that may affect the interest of foreign players in the PSL, the window is deemed suitable by the PCB due to minimum bilateral cricket during it.

“As the PSL is also being expanded from six teams to eight from the 2026 season, a window of more than 50 days is required to hold the tournament,” a source told Dawn. “The months of April and May are the only ones left when there is dearth of bilateral cricket because of the IPL’s schedule.

“The final approval for the new dates of the PSL will be given in the next general council meeting of the PSL, which will be held soon.”

The PCB is also looking at the possibility of holding the PSL play-offs and final in England next year. The body is expected to meet the England and Wales Cricket Board in this regard later this month.

“As we will have a good number of matches with the addition of two teams from 2026, new venues are needed to hold 60-plus matches comfortably,” the source said. “We are interested to include England as one of the venues as it will connect the PCB with the big broadcasters and sponsors.”

While venues abroad are in consideration, the PCB has also started explore the possibilities of including Quetta and Peshawar — home grounds of the Gladiators and Zalmi respectively.

Both teams have been deprived of the chance to play in front of home crowds, a disadvantage they face unlike the remaining PSL sides.

“The PCB is going to form a ground committee which will recommend the board how to deal the affairs of the pitches and other allied facilities relating to holding the matches in Arbab Niaz Stadium, Peshawar,” the source said.

However, sources added that the security situation would also be considered as top priority by the PCB before including any venue, be it the Bugti Stadium in Quetta or the facility in Peshawar.

Moreover, in an update provided on Friday, the PCB said it had offered franchise owners assistance in signing marquee players for multiple years.

The board and the franchise representatives also discussed the option for each team to directly sign one player, in addition to the marquee player offer that PCB will support.

Published in Dawn, May 18th, 2024

Most successful T20 side in history of World in a way. They still hold the most consecutive T20 wins across 5 seasons. First lead by Imran Nazir and then Shoaib Malik.
Yep, those were the days, Sialkot Stallions, Lahore lions, Faisalabad wolves.

Sialkot deserves a team for the next PSL.

Pcb is hoping that the psl window and 2 new teams setup works out for them
I know they did this because of my suggestion on this forum but they must also understand That to make it successful, look at the domestic league and its appalling standards. The standard has been poor for decades and if its not improved then it wont work. Invest in better wages, better facilities and play in the south in the winter as its generally better weather

silly move, the teams are diluted enough as it is, if u are going in the IPLs window it makes sense to have a longer tournament but the worsening quality will only weaken further.

the two teams should by pindi and sialkot.

Let's be honest, the people that watch the PSL fondly are those that don't watch the IPL. A casual cricket fan from the west doesn't look to PSL beyond maybe seeing the match scorecards but would watch the IPL fondly.

Regardless of what people think, the PSL viewership will be the same even if it coincides with the IPL.

My only concern, is the further loss of half decent foreign players. The absence of the likes of Phil Salt, Rashid Khan and the handful Afghan stars will further destroy the quality of PSL.

Add 1 team for now. Sialkot.
Sialkot will sell for more because they ll have some backing and fanbase.
If they want another go for GB because their ll be alot of local support.

I think there should be 1 team from AJK so Muzaffrabad or Mirpur should be one of the teams, the other one can be from Sialkot or Faisalabad.

PCB finally moving towards something different. 6 team setup was a bit too boring and sometimes it even gets predictable so let's go PCB.
one from AJK is good enough but another one from Punjab would be too many from a single province

I think its better to pick one from GB so it can cover the whole country and it will also give the exposure to the local talent.

One team would be either Faisalabad or Sialkot and the other team can be from outside Punjab, may be Hyderabad.

Back