Pele better than Messi & Ronaldo - Di Stefano

King_Rizzy

PPCL Hall of Famer
Runs
Legendary Real Madrid forward Alfredo Di Stefano claims Pele was better than Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Di Stefano, 86, says the Brazilian was a cut above his modern day counterparts, despite their obvious qualities. Messi, in particular, is often mentioned when it comes to discussing the best of all time, alongside Argentina great Diego Maradona.

Pele won three World Cups during his magnificent career, scoring 77 goals in 92 appearances for Brazil. Both Messi and Ronaldo are yet to truly transfer their club form to the international stage, and Di Stefano insists Pele remains the standard-setter.

"The best player ever? Pele. Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are both great players with specific qualities, but Pele was better," Di Stefano told El Colombiano.

The Argentine went on to describe the differences between the La Liga stars.

"Messi is the more technical player of the two. He's better inside the area, the way he handles the ball and dribbles. You can see that he enjoys himself playing," he said.

"Cristiano has a better body and is physically very strong. He has pace, speed and is a player with courage, and he can use both feet."

Di Stefano played over 300 games for Real Madrid, winning eight La Liga titles, and five European Cups.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/169585.html

So what d'ya think?

Messi and Ronaldo are still pretty young, Pele retired with his records! So it is kind of an irrelevant comparison at this stage.

I personally think Messi is the greatest ever already, but that's just my view.

Never seen Pele play but the man scored 620 goals in 661 apps thats one hell of a return.

As for Messi he can only be called the greatest ever if he emulates his club performances for Argentina which he hasn't been able to do.

Last edited:
I think at the age of 25 we can give him a bit of time to do that.

Never seen Pele play but the man scored 620 goals in 661 apps thats one hell of a return.

As for Messi he can only be called the greatest ever if he emulates his club performances for Argentina which he hasn't been able to do.

But how many of those games were at home? And his average goals per game against all teams excluding minnows should also be considered right? #statsgurutroll

I heard that a lot of Pele's goals were penalties, or in friendlies/inter-league games against minnow sides (not that the South American leagues are the strongest anyway - that would be Europe)

There is also a saying that goes 'Maradona good, Pele better, George Best'.

Last edited:
As good a player Cristiano Ronaldo is he isn't even the best in his era so why he is mentioned I don't know

Messi still has time on his side and a fairer comparison would be made when he retires. On an International level Pele has achieved more than Messi and it is unlikely time will change that

Yeah but in fairness Samba men >>>>>>>>>>>>> Current Argentina side

Yeah but in fairness Samba men >>>>>>>>>>>>> Current Argentina side

Yeah that certainly is a good point

However it is correct that in comparison to his domestic form Messi has underachieved BUT lately he has really been turning it on for Argentina

When Pele played in Brazil it was the best league in the world! South Americans only started to move in big numbers to Europe in the mid 80s. Prior to that they all stayed in their countries. So in the 60s brazil was the best team in the world and also had the best league. Pele used to tour Europe with Santos and regularly beat the best Europe had to offer. There's a video on youtube of Santos playing Benfica (who were probably the best European team on the 60s) and Pele humiliates their best player Eusebio.

Likewise Zico's Flamengo completely humiliated Liverpool 3-0 in the intercontinental cup in 1981. This is the Liverpool side that dominated Europe in the late 70s/early 80s.

So do not use the argument that Pele did not play in Europe against him as in his days the Brazilian league was better than any in Europe. It's not like it is now.

Messi has some very good players in the Argentina team, do the names Aguero, Tevez, Di Maria, Lavezzi, Higuain ring any bells? Portugal are not as strong but still have some good players.
Maradona's Argentina team was mostly mediocre but still he lead them to glory.

The problem I have with Messi and Ronaldo is that their international form is nowhere near as good as their club form. For their clubs they score goal after goal. But in major tournaments they go missing. Messi couldn't help his team in last year's copa America despite the fact it was played at home and the competition is not as strong as the world cup or euro. Ronaldo was ok in the Euro but still only scored 3 goals.

I'm not saying they have to win the world cup but they have to give a good performance in which they score at least 4-5 goals and lead the team to the final or semi final.

How come midfielders like xavi or iniesta dont get mentioned when they are the best players on one of the greatest teams ever? Whats messi been able to do without them? Not even a freakin copa america title.

How come midfielders like xavi or iniesta dont get mentioned when they are the best players on one of the greatest teams ever? Whats messi been able to do without them? Not even a freakin copa america title.

I think it's because they score very few goals, and I mean very few! So they don't get much attention.

I think it's because they score very few goals, and I mean very few! So they don't get much attention.

That's because they play as a team and do not need to feed the ball to one particular player.

I heard that a lot of Pele's goals were penalties, or in friendlies/inter-league games against minnow sides (not that the South American leagues are the strongest anyway - that would be Europe)

There is also a saying that goes 'Maradona good, Pele better, George Best'.

we have now that trophy (club world club) history of this cup is.
basically in the oldies the europeans used to think they had better clubs than the brazillians and pele was very vocal saying the opoosite,

teams which used to win champions league played the winners of the brazillian league champions (which was pele team every yr), short story - pele team annihilated consistantly the european teams every yr, which included Juventus, AC.Milan, Madrid, Benfica, ajax ,bayern munich. these game were frendlies -(as this cup wasnt around then) but as beckenbuer said they werent played as friendlies.

I do rate pele as the greatest ever, i do not rate messi as a great, just a step behind. i do dislike how strikers get mentioned alot more than defenders.
1.Pele
2.Baresi
3.maldini

Pele was Di Stefano was the greatest player ever, If we only had more videos of them playing

Last edited:
The legendary Pele turns 80.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">�� You know it's a special occasion when Cafu, Casillas, Drogba, Eto’o, Infantino, Kaka, Klopp, Lineker, Lloyd, Marta, Mourinho, Owen, Puyol, Ronaldo, Rummenigge, Schweinsteiger, Zagallo & Zidane send their best wishes (one even sings theirs!) ��*��<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Pele80?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Pele80</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ORei80?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ORei80</a> <a href="https://t.co/yxXlt913sj">pic.twitter.com/yxXlt913sj</a></p>— FIFA World Cup (@FIFAWorldCup) <a href="https://twitter.com/FIFAWorldCup/status/1319639742514941952?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 23, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Back