Peshawar Zalmi (147/6) defeat Karachi Kings (145/5) by 2 runs in a thrilling encounter of PSL 9

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
8b8izKd.jpeg

The Pakistan Super League 2024 is reaching its climax, and we are gearing up for match number 29 set to unfold at the National Stadium in Karachi. In this highly anticipated encounter, the home team Karachi Kings will lock horns with Peshawar Zalmi in a match that promises to be an exhilarating affair.

With both teams aiming to navigate through the point table crunch, expect nothing short of thrilling cricket action as they battle it out on the field. Karachi Kings find themselves in a must-win situation as they occupy the penultimate position on the points table with 8 points heading into this final clash. They enter the game with momentum on their side, coming off a thrilling last-ball victory against the Lahore Qalandars. Their bowlers started the match strong, with Anwar Ali providing the perfect start by dismissing the opener early in the innings. However, they faced resistance from Lahore Qalandars as the second-wicket partnership amassed 70 runs. Fortunately for the Kings, a slight mix-up in running gifted them the breakthrough they needed, and they capitalized on it by chipping wickets at regular intervals, restricting Lahore to a total of 177 runs. In response, Karachi Kings's openers Tim Seifert and James Vince got the team off to a flying start, setting the tone for the chase. Shan Masood joined the onslaught after James was dismissed, but both set batters fell soon after. Kieron Pollard failed to make a significant impact with the bat. However, it was the late partnership between Shoaib Malik and aggressor Irfan Khan that proved crucial. They stitched together a valuable partnership of 52 runs to bring the team closer to the target. Shoaib Malik, stood unbeaten, showing his experience and composure as he guided his side to victory with a last-ball boundary.

Peshawar Zalmi, currently positioned second on the points table with 11 points, are eyeing two more crucial points in their last game to solidify their place in the playoffs among the top two spots, which grants them an extra chance in the knockout stages. With two consecutive victories under their belt, they are riding high on confidence heading into this crucial encounter. In their previous game against the Quetta Gladiators, Peshawar's batting order displayed a relentless onslaught. Saim Ayub set the tone with an aggressive innings, followed by a stellar knock from skipper Babar Azam, who contributed 53 runs to the total. Tom Kohler-Cadmore and Rovman Powell further accelerated the scoring rate in the middle overs, propelling the team to a mammoth total of 196 runs. Despite a shaky start with the ball, Mehran Mumtaz provided the breakthrough that Peshawar needed. Subsequently, all the bowlers rallied together to dismantle the opposing batting lineup, bundling them out for just 120 runs. Their collective effort secured a commanding victory by a significant margin of 76 runs, showcasing their dominance in all facets of the game. With both teams vying for crucial two points, this clash promises to be an intense battle. Who do you think will cross the line? We will find out soon.

Who will win the match between these two sides today? 🤔

It may be a dead rubber for KK but not for PZ who could make it to PSL 9 Final Qualifier.

Why is the match starting so late? It'll be 3 am when it starts for me? Like wth? No way I'll be able to watch the whole thing, I'll probs fall asleep by 5am

quetta needed to lose for this match to be interesting. now its useless.

As someone said on YT, Shanu the King should rest this game and Malik saab should lead the team for this finals game. Wont happen of course.

I dont see Zalmi losing this game. :rolleyes:

Karachi is already out of the tournament, and Peshawar has already qualified. It should be a practice match for Peshawar, and Karachi should give them a tough time.

Bazid Khan says it's the same pitch that was used in the last Lahore-Karachi game. The leg-side boundary is 60m at square leg, 74m at midwicket, 80m down the ground, and 75m at long-off. Mark Butcher says half-volleys and offering width are crimes on this pitch. He adds that bowling at hard length is going to be effective. There's barely any grass on the pitch

Babar Azam: It's an important game because we're looking to finish on second. We'll try not to lose back-to-back wickets. (On Saim) Very happy to see him performing well. You learn from good and bad performances...happy with all youngsters.

Shan Masood: We'd have liked to bowl first. Pitch has bit of water in it. For us, as a team, whenever you're playing PSL, any team, they would like to target five wins

Daniel Sams and Aimal Khan replace Blessing Muzarabani and Khurram Shehzad – 3 emerging players in Zalmi's XI today.

Looking foward to seeing Babar and Saim start tonight. They should really open for Pak imo

vDLINzx.png

Seifert must be the worst NZ keeper ive ever seen, he's fumbled a few this PSL

Interesting fly-slip for Ayub. I do like some of these innovative field placements from Shan

02JwEro.png

Saim ayub commits to his shot a little early.
Needs to learn from babar to play it late

And Seifert fumbles another easy one which went for 4

nBrzIVc.png

Saim stuggled againt Malik last time, will be intersting to see how he deals with him here

Lovely roll of the wrist from babar. Allowed the ball to come to him .
4 runs

I don't know why Shan was angry at Niazi, that was a really good attempt

lL3qtLE.png

There was no way that Babar was 3M away from the stumps on impact. Hawk-eye is so flawed

yKjqlSD.png

I have said this before and here's the evidence as well. Babar has shown improvement in this PSL edition.

IMG_20240311_211838.jpg

PZ have done well not to lose a wicket at this stage. Ball was zipping around
Now with the likes of Anwar Ali bowling, these two should fancy their chances and step it up a bit

looked like it was bouncing over / going down leg

malik is bowling really well though, he shoudl bowl out his 4 overs on the trott i think

Average batsman is Saim Ayub. I'll be really surprised if he succeeds at top level

Another promotion for Haris. Babar doing all he can to develop youngsters for the WC

This is not a 200 wicket, I think 175 will be enough
They should not try to smack everything

Babar negotiates tough spin spells very well. He makes sure not to give wickets to spinners and will start hitting after a few overs, letting other side batsmen take a risk. Good strategy. :genius

75/1 in 10 - why are no posters in stadium participating in that Sip Pepsi for a Crore - yeh kya ho raha hain @Mamoon ?

Incredible turn. If Quetta get back Usman Tariq. Then together with the trio of Abrar, Akiel and Tariq can very well put Quetta favorites to win the trophy. They even have Usman Qadir in the bench so if needs be they can even opt to play 4 spinners.

Masoods anger & passion is only matched by Kohli he really is paks Kohli.

Whoever says take walking wickets Ayub & Haris to World Cup need there heads examined.

Whoever says take walking wickets Ayub & Haris to World Cup need there heads examined.
I always said uneducated ppl talking about haris ..saim..sharjeel etc ..need to go and get themaelves checked

Haris should focus more on his batting and stop making stupid statements about his batting position.
At the moment crossing 10-run mark looks like an achievement for him.

Mohammad Haris has been crap this PSL. Doesn't look like he will be picked for the WC the way its going

8 matches
80 runs
average 11.42
sr: 118

These young lads are so bad, cant even cross 10 runs.
Don’t like to be harsh on youngsters likes of Ayub Haris need to graft the **** out in 4 day cricket for minimum 2 years, maybe they’ll comeback as ganguly tendulkar.

Babar might be going at a sr of 100, but he is batting so beautifully

Pakistan have finally produced a spinning track they were trying to achieve in the Aus/England/NZ Test series! Only took two years but congrats I guess for producing this awful track in T20's.
credit to R Ramiz

Back