[PICTURE] Was Haris Sohail incorrectly given run-out in match against New Zealand in the World Cup?

Sycamore

Tape Ball Star
Runs
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/yjMkzks"><a href="//imgur.com/a/yjMkzks"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The right bail is not completely dislodged, it hasn't even left its groove, infact it goes back to its resting place and the lights turn off, only after haris makes his ground does the bail come out, are the rules different for run outs?

Can anyone knowledgeable about the rules clarify ?

Think that's why they have lights so the third umpire doesn't has to keep guessing.

Even in street cricket that would be out so lets just keep it that way.

Think that's why they have lights so the third umpire doesn't has to keep guessing.

yeah but there needs to be laws in place then for this new technology.

Look at the 2nd picture when the lights are off and the bails are in place and harris is in. How can u give that out, light off, bails in groove.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="PeAYBRI"><a href="//imgur.com/PeAYBRI"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3rd picture is when bail is fully off.

Last edited:
Imo, he didn't dislodge the bails with his hand or ball, it was his arm(part above the wrists) that hit the stumps and bails were dislodged, didn't look out to me but guess umpire was in a hurry to give the decision

Imo, he didn't dislodge the bails with his hand or ball, it was his arm(part above the wrists) that hit the stumps and bails were dislodged, didn't look out to me but guess umpire was in a hurry to give the decision

Interesting - if true then my sympathies with Haris!

Its his wrists that shook the stumps but then thats how runouts are done in most of cases,or is there any rule about ball surface have to touch tye stumps that im not aware of?

I initially thought he dropped the ball before knocking the stumps with his wrist. But looking at all the pictures now, it was indeed OUT.

Doesn't hide the fact he was well short before the bails were disturbed. Rather than looking for loopholes, Pakistani batsmen need to judge running between wickets much better.

The ICC needs to decide if the LED bails are for decoration or are they there to assist in decision-making.

It didn't look out to me, umpiring has been very biased towards subcontinental teams this world cup.

I get the lights part but the bail went back into the grove. That’s not out. Michael holding called it out in ind vs wi game today

What happens if a bowler balls and the ball hits the wicket / bails..bails light out but do not fall to the ground. Would this be out? :s

I think the rule has now become that if the bails light up, its run out.

Well he was short of the ground when the stumps were broken, so it's fair enough.

Are you sure? Or you are deducing it based on Haris's decision?

I am not sure. But i have seen it multiple times that the 3rd umpires dont look any further than bails lighting up.

Another thing i have read somewhere that the bails only light up when the bail is totally out of the groove. If thats indeed the case that will be end of discussion.

I think, issue here is not for when the bail came out of groove (he was clearly out of ground, no confusion there), rather some posters are questing how the bail was dislodged.

I am sure some where I read that the rules have been amended. In past, the way bail was dislodged, there would have been confusion. in it, but now even elbow (or even knee?) breaking the bails with ball in possession is a valid case. What you have to avoid is our Midget like blunder - dislodging the bails before the ball is gathered properly.

Haris was out - without any doubt.

I think, issue here is not for when the bail came out of groove (he was clearly out of ground, no confusion there), rather some posters are questing how the bail was dislodged.

I am sure some where I read that the rules have been amended. In past, the way bail was dislodged, there would have been confusion. in it, but now even elbow (or even knee?) breaking the bails with ball in possession is a valid case. What you have to avoid is our Midget like blunder - dislodging the bails before the ball is gathered properly.

Dodgy connection or lights. The bails are only supposed to light up when both ends are dislodged, clearly not the case here.

Not out would be the correct call but hard to blame 3rd ump who is told lights means broken stumps, both ends of bails dislodged and thus out.

I would like to know where these stumps with lights are made? :inti

Spur of the moment, with whatever evidence was used, it looked out.

However, I did feel the 3rd umpire hurried up the whole process. Could have taken 30 seconds more to see some more angles.

What happens is sometimes a crucial frame is missing. Watching it live it clearly appeared to be out. I am standing by the umpires decision which was the correct one.

That is HUGE. I doubt it.

I am not sure. But i have seen it multiple times that the 3rd umpires dont look any further than bails lighting up.

Another thing i have read somewhere that the bails only light up when the bail is totally out of the groove. If thats indeed the case that will be end of discussion.

That is wrong way of looking at things then. Umpires should look beyond lighting since bails can come back.

Back