[PICTURES] Most embarrassing moments in the history of cricket?

Most embarrassing moment in the history of cricket?

• Monkeygate scandal between Andrew Symonds and Harbhajan Singh(2008)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
There have been numerous moments in the history of cricket that not only change the course of the game but also bring bad name to this sport. So what is your pick for the most embarrassing moment in the history of cricket from instances below.

*Trevor Chappell bowls underarm(1981)

*Indian Crowd violence in World Cup Semi final (1996)

*Monkeygate scandal between Andrew Symonds and Harbhajan Singh(2008)

*Australian ball tempering incident (2018)

*Hansie Cronje Match-fixing (2000)

*Stokes' bat deflection and controversial World Cup victory(2019)

*Rain reduction farce gifts England victory – 1992

*Shahid Afridi ball biting(2010)

*Spot fixing scandal(2010)

You can also mention some other incident from your memory vault.

Sri Lankan cricket team were attacked in Pakistan is wrost ever no one came close .
For me, the most embarrassing moment in cricket history was the first semifinal between India and Sri Lanka in 1996 in Kolkata, abandoned due to unruly crowd behavior. Bottles were thrown onto the ground, and stands were set on fire.

Apart from the incidents mentioned in OP, I will add some more:

1. Suraj Randiv bowling no ball to deny Sehwag a century

2. Sydney Test 2008 - one of the worst umpiring you will ever see which costed India the test match and series.

3. Terrorist attack on SL cricket team in Pakistan

4. Sarfraz Ahmed's racially abusing Andile Phehlukwayo.

5. Mushfiqur Rahim's tweet after India defeat in 2016 WT20

6. Shakib Al Hasan smashing the dressing room glass in anger during Nidahas Trophy

7. Ben Cutting and Sohail Tanvir middle finger incident in CPL

8. MSD getting booed by Indian fans in Lords

9. Sreesanth getting arrested in the middle of IPL

10. Waqar Younis's comment on live TV after Pakistan beat India in Wt20 2021

For me, the most embarrassing moment in cricket history was the first semifinal between India and Sri Lanka in 1996 in Kolkata, abandoned due to unruly crowd behavior. Bottles were thrown onto the ground, and stands were set on fire.
Yes that was also pretty embarassing .but A team were attack with gun is all above and its not even close.

Yep, it was the most chaotic moment in the history of cricket. Never saw such an unsportsmanship attitude from the crowd ever.

Terrorist attack on Srilankan cricket team with rocket launchers and hand grenades where players had to airlift to save their lives has to be easily the most embarrassing moment in cricket history irrespective of how some may want to twist it and say otherwise. Nothing even comes close to it.

Terrorist attack on Srilankan cricket team with rocket launchers and hand grenades where players had to airlift to save their lives has to be easily the most embarrassing moment in cricket history irrespective of how some may want to twist it and say otherwise. Nothing even comes close to it.
No it was just an unfortunate incident. Not like such events never happened afterwards. Such events did take place in Afghanistan and India too!!

Did you forget this incident that moved IPL from India to South Africa? Many ppl got even injured here.

No it was just an unfortunate incident. Not like such events never happened afterwards. Such events did take place in Afghanistan and India too!!

Did you forget this incident that moved IPL from India to South Africa? Many ppl got even injured here.

Say what??

IPL moved to South Africa due to general elections in 2009. It has nothing to do with this incident which happened in 2010. I myself attended an IPL game in same stadium in the same year after that incident. Your attempt of equating it with a full blown terrorist attack on players is hilarious. As they say, bolne me kya jaata hai.

BTW, your ex PM Imran Khan had said that the terrorist attack on SL cricket team was the darkest chapter in Pakistan history. I understand it was more of a political statement but he was right in saying it.

The end to the 2007 World Cup Final being played out in darkness.

For cricket's flagship event to end in such a farcical way was the definition of embarrassing.

Who in cricket exactly gets 'embarrassed' by sick terrorist attacks?

What sick logic. Terrorist attacks have nothing to do with cricket.

Are you guys 'embarassed' by Mumbai attacks??

The Indian depravity has no bounds.

Mumbai attacks has nothing to with cricket. Here the terrorists specifically attacked cricketers. OP asked the question what is the most embarrassing thing in cricket. So it has to be on top of the list. Not sure how and why Mumbai attacks came into discussion.

When Neil McKenzie dived on the boundary line and the trousers went down to his knees. This was SA vs Australia series in early 2000's at the indoor Docklands stadium.

Terrorism and fixing are crimes. Not sure why they're even in the discussion - do we class traffic violations and bank robbery as embarrassing ?

I would've thought embarrassing incidents are cockups as a result of mismanagement or ineptitude by players or administrators.

An example would be Ijaz Butt accusing the England team of fixing after hearing "loud and clear talk in bookie circles). That should make the list of all-time embarrassing statements.

Inzamam falling on his stumps in 2006 in England was quite embarrassing too.

Mumbai attacks has nothing to with cricket. Here the terrorists specifically attacked cricketers. OP asked the question what is the most embarrassing thing in cricket. So it has to be on top of the list. Not sure how and why Mumbai attacks came into discussion.

If you believe Pakistan cricket is embarrassed by this attack then surely you guys feel a real sense of embarrassment for Mumbai.

Are you embarrassed as an Indian?

At a personal level I was most embarrassed during the 2010 spot fixing scandal.

As someone living in England, I was speechless in front of my gora colleagues.

If you believe Pakistan cricket is embarrassed by this attack then surely you guys feel a real sense of embarrassment for Mumbai.

Are you embarrassed as an Indian?

Ofcourse Mumbai Attacks was an embarrassment for Indian govt but that has nothing to do with cricket. Here cricketers are specifically targetted and players had to airlift to save their lives. So it was an embarassment not only for Pak govt but for PCB as well. ICC subsequently took away 2011 WC hosting rights from Pakistan and every team refused to travel there for many years. On the other hand England team came back to play in India just 20 days after Mumbai attacks. So this comparison is chalk and cheese.

When Eden Gardens was burned down in 1996 WC, it was also an unfortunate incident caused by fans on which BCCI has no control. However since it happened in a cricket field, it will go down as an embarassment for Indian cricket. Similarly, the attacks on SL cricket team will go down as the most embarassing moment in the cricket history. Hope you getting my point now?

Terrorism and fixing are crimes. Not sure why they're even in the discussion - do we class traffic violations and bank robbery as embarrassing ?

I would've thought embarrassing incidents are cockups as a result of mismanagement or ineptitude by players or administrators.

An example would be Ijaz Butt accusing the England team of fixing after hearing "loud and clear talk in bookie circles). That should make the list of all-time embarrassing statements.

Inzamam falling on his stumps in 2006 in England was quite embarrassing too.

If that is the case then fans throwing stones or burning stadium also should not be in the list as it is done by external forces and not in the playing circle?

The shenanigans of Pakistan cricketers or Pakistanis in general is always a cause of embarrassment for us overseas Pakistanis.

Don’t think the nation realise this who would proudly wear the embarrassing Proud Pakistani logo shirt any day of the week.

Sarwan and McGrath swearing at each other in Antigua 2003 was the most embarrassing moment I had seen on a cricket field. I thought both of them would get into a fist fight.

people easily forgot inzamam got triggered by indian fan and almost tried to murder him with bat in toronto

Indian crowd's violence during 1996 WC semi-final. I think that was the most embarrassing.

I am not aware of any other WC event (cricket or another sport) where this took place.

Don't know why people are not discussing Trevor chapell's notorious underarm ball. That wasn't only embarrassing but also fixed a loophole in the cricketing rules forever.

It was disgraceful but was perfectly legal at that time.

It was unethical but not illegal.

Indian crowd's violence during 1996 WC semi-final. I think that was the most embarrassing.

I am not aware of any other WC event (cricket or another sport) where this took place.
Yep, still the only event that resulted in the loss of a side without a proper conclusion.

Lillee and Miandad incident in the 1981/82 series was quite disgraceful as well. Would have been huge in this age of social media.

Lillee and Miandad incident in the 1981/82 series was quite disgraceful as well. Would have been huge in this age of social media.
It was more funnier than anything like being disgeaceful. Even today if anybody wants to have a laugh he just switches to watche that clip.

It was more funnier than anything like being disgeaceful. Even today if anybody wants to have a laugh he just switches to watche that clip.
Well, Lillee did kick Miandad slightly on his backside and the street fighter shoved him away by angrily raising his bat This incident created quite a stir and both boards got involved. Ijaz Butt wanted to abandon the tour. It was quite a serious issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dravid & sharma pitch doctoring in the World Cup:

Last month when 132k+ Indian supporters in the stadium & billions on the street about to do Bollywood celebrations only to be sent packing by Cummins & Head !
That was not an embrassing moment for 132k ppl but a crime on part of Cummins and Head. And they for the first time in history got hefty payments in IPL for committing such crimes😂🤣🤣

Well no body has touched the Australian ball tempering incident so far. Keeping in mind the graveness of this incident, Warner still gets some foul words from Mitchell Johnson’s mouth.

And also the monkey gate scandal was all too bad as it reignited the racial slurs in the 21st century cricket.

Hansie Cronje match fixing scandal was the most shocking and unexpected.

South Africa was a beloved team for a lot of us non SA fans and no one in their wildest dreams would have thought of Cronje as a fixer.

Once he came out crying in press conference it totally broke the trust of a lot of fans in cricket. People realised how common fixing is in cricket. Even now when we see close matches in IPL a lot of people including me think it’s all scripted/fixed.

I don’t know about embarrassing but it was the most devastating moment in cricket.

Hansie Cronje match fixing scandal was the most shocking and unexpected.

South Africa was a beloved team for a lot of us non SA fans and no one in their wildest dreams would have thought of Cronje as a fixer.

Once he came out crying in press conference it totally broke the trust of a lot of fans in cricket. People realised how common fixing is in cricket. Even now when we see close matches in IPL a lot of people including me think it’s all scripted/fixed.

I don’t know about embarrassing but it was the most devastating moment in cricket.
It was indeed a great loss for the SA side and the game of cricket as a whole as this incident resulted in life ban on a great player like Cronje and also exposed the uglier side of cricket in face of match fixing.

Indian board and team management caught pitch doctoring in ICC tournament. It's right up there
Glad you bring it here nobody talks much about it. It's not once or twice BCCI has been doing this for long time now on its home soil. That is the reason the hosting rights of upcoming events in India must be conditional. That is the BCCI must assure ICC that pitch has been made in line with their recommendations and doctored ones.

1. Sri Lanka team terrorist attack
2. Amir and co fixing matches

Afridi dancing on the pitch to tamper it.

Waqar caught tampering justifies it saying he that he was confused because he had "always" prepped the ball like that - basically admitting to tampering throughout his career.

Afridi caught ball tampering and claiming to have only smelled the ball.

Test match postponed because Saqlain alleged that he had been mugged in South Africa only for ladies from some local "gentleman's club" service say that he was their client.

Wasim and Waqar - ganja - 1993 - Caribbean

Ajmal claiming to bowl with a bent arm because of an accident only to come back with a remodelled action and a straight as arrow arm.

Miandad publicly accusing his own team of being fixers when he was coach in 1999 after they lost 1 match on the eve of the World Cup

Afridi fined for teasing 3 girls on a flight to Sri Lanka just before a tour.

Afridi scandal when he was caught with girls in his hotel room and claimed they had only come for "autographs"

PCB publicly announcing that Akhtar had genital warts and thats why he couldn't play T20 World Cup

Shoaib Akhtar claiming that he was asked to take steroids to break 100 mph but he refused to do so as he was anti-drugs. Caught for nandrolone abuse in 2006 and suspended

India v South Africa played an unofficial test match after sachin was caught ball tampering in South Africa. BCCI'S misuse of power started a long ago

Afridi dancing on the pitch to tamper it.

Waqar caught tampering justifies it saying he that he was confused because he had "always" prepped the ball like that - basically admitting to tampering throughout his career.

Afridi caught ball tampering and claiming to have only smelled the ball.

Test match postponed because Saqlain alleged that he had been mugged in South Africa only for ladies from some local "gentleman's club" service say that he was their client.

Wasim and Waqar - ganja - 1993 - Caribbean

Ajmal claiming to bowl with a bent arm because of an accident only to come back with a remodelled action and a straight as arrow arm.

Miandad publicly accusing his own team of being fixers when he was coach in 1999 after they lost 1 match on the eve of the World Cup

Afridi fined for teasing 3 girls on a flight to Sri Lanka just before a tour.

Afridi scandal when he was caught with girls in his hotel room and claimed they had only come for "autographs"

PCB publicly announcing that Akhtar had genital warts and thats why he couldn't play T20 World Cup

Shoaib Akhtar claiming that he was asked to take steroids to break 100 mph but he refused to do so as he was anti-drugs. Caught for nandrolone abuse in 2006 and suspended
Did not know about shoaib Akhtar one 😃😃😃

India v South Africa played an unofficial test match after sachin was caught ball tampering in South Africa. BCCI'S misuse of power started a long ago
Imagine the likes of Pollock ntini Kirsten kallis being forced to play that game. Shameful and embarassing moment

For Pakistan cricket " Shahid Afridi ball biting(2010)" and the spot fixing 2010.

I don't think the SL attack is "embarrassing". That's the wrong word.

For Pakistan, I would say the 2010 fixing scandal was one of the most embarrassing moments in their cricket. Just the way they were exposed and everything that happened afterward.

Many of you are not talking about that Cameron Bancroft sandpaper incident. It was embarrassing as well. Sandpaper? really?

For Pakistan cricket " Shahid Afridi ball biting(2010)" and the spot fixing 2010.
2010 indeed was an embrassing year in the cricketing history of Pak. Even the conceding of 23 runs in an over in Semi Final against Australia by our Magician spinner Saeed Ajmal was embarrassing. Nothing went our way in 2010.

Apart from the incidents mentioned in OP, I will add some more:

1. Suraj Randiv bowling no ball to deny Sehwag a century

2. Sydney Test 2008 - one of the worst umpiring you will ever see which costed India the test match and series.

3. Terrorist attack on SL cricket team in Pakistan

4. Sarfraz Ahmed's racially abusing Andile Phehlukwayo.

5. Mushfiqur Rahim's tweet after India defeat in 2016 WT20

6. Shakib Al Hasan smashing the dressing room glass in anger during Nidahas Trophy

7. Ben Cutting and Sohail Tanvir middle finger incident in CPL

8. MSD getting booed by Indian fans in Lords

9. Sreesanth getting arrested in the middle of IPL

10. Waqar Younis's comment on live TV after Pakistan beat India in Wt20 2021
Ahmed Shezad trying to convert Dilshan has to be right up there.

2010 indeed was an embrassing year in the cricketing history of Pak. Even the conceding of 23 runs in an over in Semi Final against Australia by our Magician spinner Saeed Ajmal was embarrassing. Nothing went our way in 2010.
And I was there in stadium watching that horrible over by the chucker against Australia , was heart breaking.

Sachin Tendulkar trying to temper the ball and than lie and deny about it.

For me Kohli's selfish nature and causing frequent dismissals of his partner batsmen for just saving his own wicket is just awful and extremely embarrassing. The dismissal of Ishan Kishan recently and of Shreyas Iyer in WC 2023 are just a few to name.

How can you forget that Hasan Ali got injured while celebrating a wicket against Zimbabwe?

It was quite embarrassing yet funny.

Back