[PICTURES] Pitch and Intent: The hidden failures of the Champions One-Day Cup 2024

What is the biggest issue in the Champions One-Day Cup 2024?

• Total voters

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
As the league stage of the Champions One-Day Cup 2024 wraps up, I can’t help but notice a concerning trend: no team has successfully chased a total across all 10 matches. In fact, 8 out of 10 chasing teams were bowled out, with 4 matches lost by over 100 runs. This raises serious questions about the effectiveness of the PCB’s pitch preparation and the readiness of our teams for ODIs.

It’s evident that our teams are struggling to adapt to pressure situations, which is crucial for success in ODIs. This tournament should have been an opportunity to refine our chasing techniques, but it seems we’re still grappling with the same issues.

The intentions of our players during this tournament also raise eyebrows. In matches where chasing is required, I’ve observed a tendency to panic rather than stick to a solid game plan.

The surfaces prepared for this tournament have been overly dry and have deteriorated rapidly, creating extremely challenging batting conditions for teams batting second. Such pitches heavily favor bowlers and make it nearly impossible for chasing teams to succeed.

The PCB has missed a crucial opportunity to prepare diverse pitch types by using the same pitches multiple times. The PCB should ensure that pitches are conducive to all aspects of the game. This tournament clearly lacked strategic planning and varied conditions, putting us at risk of continuing the cycle of failure in ODIs.

q4YDwur.png

Last edited:
You don't need to watch a single match to find out what a colossal waste of time, money and resources this tournament was. All this was, was a frivolous exercise in finding out what we already know.

This tournament badly exposed the mentally weak mindset of Pakistani players. You can't even say that the quality of bowling was particularly high. In almost every game the team chasing went through the same kind of meltdown we see Pakistan go through while chasing. No real stars were made and no new talent was unearthed because it was just the same players we already see in PSL. The same guys who were expected to score runs, scored runs. The guys who were out of form, are still out of form.

Only positive is that I'm glad that the people of Faisalabad got to see some high-profile cricket. I hope it doesn't take 10 years for that decrepit stadium to be fixed so they can see some international cricket too.

Karachi players are not mentally weak when they face KPK players in a knockout

That’s when you see how the KPK players who get main preference in the national side show their true mental weakness

Which is then reflected generally when representing the national side.

You can’t chase down 300+ totals by tuk-tuking in the beginning and putting all the pressure on the lower middle order to make up the runs.

Teams are able to setup big scores batting first, because they are all following the same template Pakistan has been doing since the 90s, and chases are being botched because they are still following the same template Pakistan does in international cricket when faced with a big total. Even now, just listen to the press conferences and the lack of game awareness is shocking to say the least, where they lament not having partnerships. Forget partnerships, you need someone to go out their and counter-attack to put the bowling team under pressure.

The quality of batting is terrible and the talent on display is horrific to say the least. It’s all about farming the maximum strike and scoring your runs to hope for a spot in the Pakistan team and nothing else.

I agree the bowling isn’t anything special but I won’t blame the pitches in this instance. Give Travis Head a go in these conditions and his side will gun down these totals easily.

A mentally week Karachi player putting 4 145kmh seamers in their place

Didn't watch the tournament but looks like the solution to chase 300+ is keep wickets in hand and go berserk in the last 10 overs.

Because that's what brought success when Moin and Akram used to do it during dinosaur times?

That’s when you see how the KPK players who get main preference in the national side show their true mental weakness

KPK team has made it to the play offs. In comparison mentally strong team from Karachi is going home.

You have an obsession with Rizwan, Babar and now a new addition in KPK.

I've not watched too much of the tournament but I've been quite happy with what I've seen so far ( for non cricketing reasons).

It's great to see cricket back in Faisalabad and it's great to see women and children attending the matches too.

From a cricketing perspective we shouldn't place too much stock in one off tournaments. A few players have jumped up to make a name for themselves which has been good to see.

It's also difficult to arrange multi stadium tournaments in Pakistan because of the expense involved and also because some of the grounds are under construction.

With regards to chasing this is where the culture change can only come in from the coaches and chairmen. If a player is informed that in the coach eyes their stat pad 50 is garbage and meaningless if the team doesn't win the game they will stop playing that way and do what it takes to make an impact.

This may seem like an odd idea but I'd strip away man of the match, batter of the match etc awards from domestic cricket full stop.

To organize an entire tournament at a particular stadium was always going to be a big mess.

In my opinion, the issue isn’t the pitches. it’s the players' mentality. We have too many "tuk-tuk" players. However, I’ve also had the chance to see who can step up in the middle order, specifically for the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th spots.

We need to move on from players who have consistently failed over the past two years. They might perform well domestically but end up disappointing at the international level. It’s time to give opportunities to those who can deliver when it counts.

For example, look at Khushdil Shah, he’s currently playing better than Iftikhar Ahmed. Even Asif Ali and Salman Ali Agha seem more reliable than Iftikhar. In my opinion, it’s time we let Iftikhar know that he’s no longer needed at the international level. He’s had enough chances, and others are showing more promise in his position.

All players part of the Test squad for the England series are not participating in crucial eliminator games for their teams due to national duty. The series begins on October 7th. What is this??????? Why is the PCB being delusional??????? Ultimately, this Champions One-Day Cup is a failure.

All players part of the Test squad for the England series are not participating in crucial eliminator games for their teams due to national duty. The series begins on October 7th. What is this??????? Why is the PCB being delusional??????? Ultimately, this Champions One-Day Cup is a failure.
Misbah …

My take on the Champions One-Day Cup 2024:

Chasing totals? Forget it! Every match ended in a first-innings win.

We need more teams named 'Stallions' - it's a winning formula!

Babar Azam = sold-out stadiums. Simple math.

Players should praise opponents on social media after getting thrashed.

Shaheen Shah Afridi's mantra: play through pain, no matter what.

Back