[PICTURES/VIDEOS] Can a fitter looking Sharjeel Khan be ready for a comeback for Pakistan?

Great player of 145kmh+ pace

Strong on the leg and off

A delightful player to watch when he gets going

The best T20 opener in Pakistan alongside Fakhar Zaman

Fakhar Zaman as T20i opener: Average 22 strike rate 128

Sharjeel's dismissal today

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/7t4lr8" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

I know a lot of people want an atking opener to replace babar rizwan and that's completely fine. But sharjeel aint it. Much better to support young prospects like haris and saim ayub

Tbf, he is either on last chance saloon or needs to be dropped

Can’t really defend these poor starts which are becoming quite regular now

Tayyab deserves his shot

He should just retire. He has no future and is blocking promising youngsters from getting a spot in the team

Apparently his non-selection has prevented Pakistan from winning World Cups.

Not really a great surprise that we're seeing that myth being well and truly smashed.

Tbf he is still a better opener than what we have seen so far

Apparently his non-selection has prevented Pakistan from winning World Cups.

Not really a great surprise that we're seeing that myth being well and truly smashed.

How many trophies have Babar and Rizwan won us? Their selections were meant to win us major events that Sharjeel wouldn’t be able to do.

What’s the difference between having Babar or Sharjeel in the team? What has the former achieved for the team that the latter hasn’t.

Tbf he is still a better opener than what we have seen so far

He has to prove himself.

Either the management are confusing him with mixed messages or he's lost his mojo.

He is a useless fluke with the bat and a complete liability in the field.

Basically a player who will once score a 40 off 20 balls, and will follow it with 9 low scores.

Add that to the fact that he has to hide himself on the field for 20 overs.

Play him and you are basically playing a 10 men team.

Tbf, he is either on last chance saloon or needs to be dropped

Can’t really defend these poor starts which are becoming quite regular now

Tayyab deserves his shot

Has the innings in Australia 5 years ago finally reached its expiration date?

Has the innings in Australia 5 years ago finally reached its expiration date?

Let Rizwan play one innings like that in Australia and come back to me

We all saw how he was getting bounced like Imran Khan’s song bounce billo during the World Cup against NGarva

How many trophies have Babar and Rizwan won us? Their selections were meant to win us major events that Sharjeel wouldn’t be able to do.

What’s the difference between having Babar or Sharjeel in the team? What has the former achieved for the team that the latter hasn’t.

A World Cup win against India.

/thread

We all saw how he was getting bounced like Imran Khan’s song bounce billo during the World Cup against NGarva

Sounds like the knock hasn't reached its expiration date then :))

Classic! I might play this when he gets bounced out because I haven't heard it for a long time. :))

Classic! I might play this when he gets bounced out because I haven't heard it for a long time. :))

Can you imagine these Rizwan fans mocking Sharjeel’s batting in Australia 2017

Especially after how Rizwan was bounced out by Arshdeep in the MCG

Can you imagine these Rizwan fans mocking Sharjeel’s batting in Australia 2017

Especially after how Rizwan was bounced out by Arshdeep in the MCG

Sharjeel might be finished but at least he can hold his head up high with what he did to Starc and Cummins during that 2017 ODI series in Australia.

Rizwan could only dream to do half as well. Starc and Cummins would make him look like Hafeez against Steyn :)).

Sharjeel might be finished but at least he can hold his head up high with what he did to Starc and Cummins during that 2017 ODI series in Australia.

Rizwan could only dream to do half as well. Starc and Cummins would make him look like Hafeez against Steyn :)).

Can already imagine Rizwan’s head falling over to the covers whilst reaching out to a ball outside 5th stump against Cummins on a length

What a poor, poor batsman.

You guys really love celebrating mediocrity :))

Sharjeel can hold his head eye for one innings in a lost match yet you lot are the one jumping up and down irate asking what other players have won for Pakistan :))

And now anticipating celebrating an imaginary poor knocks from Rizwan, played in only hypothetically in Ranas mind by playing songs :))

What a soft mentality brothers.

With saim and haris knocking their is no way sharjeel is coming back . He has lost it and it’s only himself to blame . He was in full flow before that fixing saga . Messed up and lost the way .

Even though not fan of rizwan SR he is much superior than once in blue moon sharjeel .

Fakhar, babar, rizwan, haris , saim . Imam

Sharjee doesn’t come close to any of them

34 runs in 3 innings off 32 balls faced.

Poor numbers.

No surprise he was dropped.

I’m shocked he’s dropped. The whole reason babar left is because they wanted to drop him down the order so Sharjeel would open. Also might have been the reason they chose not to open with Rizwan when they had him. And now putting in a wicketkeeper who isn’t even known as a prolific hitter.

I’m shocked he’s dropped. The whole reason babar left is because they wanted to drop him down the order so Sharjeel would open. Also might have been the reason they chose not to open with Rizwan when they had him. And now putting in a wicketkeeper who isn’t even known as a prolific hitter.

Karachis overseas signings been a joke. They have no choice about Wade so now have to accommodate him to open. Wade, Tahir, Tye and Fuller. Absolutely poor recruitment.

On top of his batting so far at PSL8, he has been a liability in the field, misfields, dropped catches. Nowhere to hide him in the field.

When Sharjeel fans were lauding the aggressive captaincy of Imad....I don't think they had this in mind :))

Imad does have a cricketing brain and knew full well that Sharjeel is a liability who is finished. He was kind enough to give him a few games to try and establish himself but there's no coming back now.

Imad does have a cricketing brain and knew full well that Sharjeel is a liability who is finished. He was kind enough to give him a few games to try and establish himself but there's no coming back now.

He will be back. They have to accommodate Wade as they have no choice as he can't get bat on ball in middle order. But now they have a weaker middle lower order. Wade was signed to play middle order but he been a flop but Karachi have no choice as keeper so accommodating him opening. Sharjeel will be back soon.

Agreed.

The problem with Sharjeel is if he's not scoring runs he becomes a total liability in 2 facets of the game, fielding and batting.

Agreed.

The problem with Sharjeel is if he's not scoring runs he becomes a total liability in 2 facets of the game, fielding and batting.

Whatever bro. We’ll always have 2017 Sharjeel in our memories. As [MENTION=2016]Rana[/MENTION] will tell us, those shots in a meaningless bilateral against the Aussies was AAGGG!!!!

Is this the end of the PSL for Sharjeel?

Same happened to him in BPL - started off then discarded for next games.

Looks like the end of his PSL I’m afraid

Rightly so.

Deeply saddened but it’s a tough life. Sorry big lad

You have to be a sportsman first before your become an international cricketer and you cannot be a professional sportsman if you're that much over weight and fitness is not your priority.

Is this the end of the PSL for Sharjeel?

Same happened to him in BPL - started off then discarded for next games.

He will have a role. He is ok, there are worse than him. The lads needs earn a halal living and i am sure he will get a chance somewhere

His form has not been that great. He struggles badly against spin

Sharjeel Khan is back for Karachi! Gamble which could pay off big time but he is playing in the middle order it seems

Nightmare PSL 8 so far:

4 innings
42 runs
10.50 average
110.52 strike-rate

Nightmare PSL 8 so far:

4 innings
42 runs
10.50 average
110.52 strike-rate

End of his PSL, I reckon after this performance

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/25h43o" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Will be interesting to see where Sharjeel will be next season. He was dropped twice, Karachi cant have much faith in him anymore and probably ruined his confidence. They should not have dropped him I think they had no alternative. Though I can’t see any other franchise happy to take him due to his fixing reputation though I think if not for that, others would take a gamble.

Will be interesting to see where Sharjeel will be next season. He was dropped twice, Karachi cant have much faith in him anymore and probably ruined his confidence. They should not have dropped him I think they had no alternative. Though I can’t see any other franchise happy to take him due to his fixing reputation though I think if not for that, others would take a gamble.

Quetta may be happy to pick him next season.

The only Pakistani player in KK franchise who has shown intent every time he's been out there.

Yes he's not got going, but you don't drop aggressive players like these after a few games, when you are giving chances after chances to Maliks and Cuttings and Wade at the top with zero success

42 runs in 4 innings at a strike rate of 110 is a really poor effort.

On top of that he has been a liability in the field.

I suppose the question is just how many chances can you keep giving the guy in the hope that he might perform.

42 runs in 4 innings at a strike rate of 110 is a really poor effort.

On top of that he has been a liability in the field.

I suppose the question is just how many chances can you keep giving the guy in the hope that he might perform.

The problem w/ a Sharjeel is, if you release him, he may get picked up by a Multan and rejuvenate his career.

So whilst Sharjeel has not been great, Karachi really need a proper director of cricket, who sets the strategy.

He is obviously out of form as he is a better player than that. He worked hard on his fitness but somebody needs to tell him to hire a personal fielding coach.

Sad to say but the ship seems to have sailed for sharjeel. This PSL was probably his last opportunity to have any chance of making a comeback in the Pakistan team.
What a sad waste of talent just like akmal

Sharjeel is rubbish. He was never good enough to begin with. He will never be good enough in the future.

Unfortunately, some people refuse to accept the reality and stay in denial.

The problem w/ a Sharjeel is, if you release him, he may get picked up by a Multan and rejuvenate his career.

So whilst Sharjeel has not been great, Karachi really need a proper director of cricket, who sets the strategy.

Yes Multan will pick a 36+, overweight mediocre batsman if they go bonkers and develop some sort of mental disorder.

There is absolutely no upside for any franchise when it comes to Sharjeel. He is old, he has poor fitness, he is an awful fielder and he is wildly inconsistent.

There is no reason for any franchise to select him. Karachi lack strategy and direction and keeping Sharjeel in the squad illustrates that.

Which franchise will risk a one great performance in 8 matches type player?

Karachi took the risk and it's backfired badly.

Time seems to be running out for Sharjeel.

Yes Multan will pick a 36+, overweight mediocre batsman if they go bonkers and develop some sort of mental disorder.

There is absolutely no upside for any franchise when it comes to Sharjeel. He is old, he has poor fitness, he is an awful fielder and he is wildly inconsistent.

There is no reason for any franchise to select him. Karachi lack strategy and direction and keeping Sharjeel in the squad illustrates that.

Sharjeel has not been very good. No denying that.

However, you consider the Sohaib Maqsood situation from a few years ago (where Sohaib did well and won a Pakistan recall£ and think maybe this lad Sharjeel could give us one good season.

The point is, you don’t base your strategy around Sharjeel (he’s too unreliable) but you include him as part of your squad. To me that’s shrewd squad building.

Which franchise will risk a one great performance in 8 matches type player?

Karachi took the risk and it's backfired badly.

Time seems to be running out for Sharjeel.

As long as he’s not the main opener for a team, he’ll still be picked. Unless there’s a surge in young T20 openers coming through by PSL 9, lack of supply rules means he’ll probably get picked again.

Quetta may be happy to pick him next season.

Islamabad won't take him as he fixed during playing there. Multan I don't think will take him especially with Rizwan and the way their franchise is run. Lahore I think might have in the past but are doing so well with already Fakhar and Abdullah, I don't think he's worth the risk. Babar being at Peshawar, I can't imagine a reunion with Sharjeel there would be likely. That leaves Quetta really.

I feel like Sharjeel will probably be retained/bought again, he's on silver already isn't he, so it's already kind of a bargain. And probably kept around like a squad player, maybe played now and again. A major downgrade given that this guy was one of the most sought after players in the PSL at one point, with the team's hopes pinned on him. Sharjeel would probably want to move, but at the same time he'll know it'll be tough to go somewhere else as a result of his history.

If he is relegated to that bit part/squad role, his chances of international recall basically fall to zero.

It's weird because while I think say Umar akmal is a shadow of what he was, I do think Sharjeel is simply just out of form, I could see a world where he's regularly performing in PSL. Maybe not internationals, but when you see Sharjeel in the line up, you are a bit scared he might perform against you in PSL (even if it's not likely).

Islamabad won't take him as he fixed during playing there. Multan I don't think will take him especially with Rizwan and the way their franchise is run. Lahore I think might have in the past but are doing so well with already Fakhar and Abdullah, I don't think he's worth the risk. Babar being at Peshawar, I can't imagine a reunion with Sharjeel there would be likely. That leaves Quetta really.

I feel like Sharjeel will probably be retained/bought again, he's on silver already isn't he, so it's already kind of a bargain. And probably kept around like a squad player, maybe played now and again. A major downgrade given that this guy was one of the most sought after players in the PSL at one point, with the team's hopes pinned on him. Sharjeel would probably want to move, but at the same time he'll know it'll be tough to go somewhere else as a result of his history.

If he is relegated to that bit part/squad role, his chances of international recall basically fall to zero.

It's weird because while I think say Umar akmal is a shadow of what he was, I do think Sharjeel is simply just out of form, I could see a world where he's regularly performing in PSL. Maybe not internationals, but when you see Sharjeel in the line up, you are a bit scared he might perform against you in PSL (even if it's not likely).

Sharjeel’s major issue has always been strike rotation. If he could just rotate strike in between his occasional fours, his numbers will look much better. Something to work on in the offseason.

As long as he’s not the main opener for a team, he’ll still be picked. Unless there’s a surge in young T20 openers coming through by PSL 9, lack of supply rules means he’ll probably get picked again.

If he was younger and fitter then he'd still create interest amongst the franchises - I just feel that most of them may have realised that it's a risk picking him because he offers nothing with the ball or in the field also.

If he was younger and fitter then he'd still create interest amongst the franchises - I just feel that most of them may have realised that it's a risk picking him because he offers nothing with the ball or in the field also.

This is true. It’s more likely he goes the Ahmed Shehzad route and does not get picked. The caveat being he drastically improves his batting and fielding in the 2023/24 domestic season and gets picked again.

It’s last chance saloon for him now.

Sharjeel has not been very good. No denying that.

However, you consider the Sohaib Maqsood situation from a few years ago (where Sohaib did well and won a Pakistan recall£ and think maybe this lad Sharjeel could give us one good season.

The point is, you don’t base your strategy around Sharjeel (he’s too unreliable) but you include him as part of your squad. To me that’s shrewd squad building.

The point is that there is nothing Sharjeel can offer that someone else cannot. In addition, this someone else will not carry the baggage Sharjeel does, i.e. awful fitness and awful fielding in addition to the fact that he is on the wrong side of 30s.

No franchise can justify his selection even as a squad option because there will always be a better alternative somewhere.

Age not his friend anymore as is his lack of fitness

Happy Birthday Sharjeel Khan:

Born: August 14, 1989 (age 34 years), Hyderabad, Pakistan

Last edited:
Flopped very badly in the last PSL. He definately blew his opportunities

Sharjeel taking part in the Sindh Premier League

WCcadwR.png

Whatever happened to Sharjeel.
He was the most dangerous Pakistani opener of the last 10 years after Fakhar Zaman

He was the most dangerous Pakistani opener of the last 10 years after Fakhar Zaman

He was better technically than Fakhar Zaman in my opinion, Fakhar is a glorified cross bat slogger. Sharjeel hit through the line, but he was involved in some betting scandal I think and that was the end of that.

Also the guy was a bit fat.

Still can’t believe he threw his career away, he was really coming into the zone and one of the best players of short ball I’ve seen.

Overrated hack who got exposed so badly in the last PSL you almost felt sorry for him.

All he had to do was get in some sort of reasonable shape but he failed to do so.

Sharjeel wasted any natural ability he may have had through his own laziness and stupidity. It was clear to those who follow this game closely.

Anyone who rated Sharjeel post comeback does not understand cricket. The signs of his failure were more obvious than Babar’s bowling changes.

Back