[PICTURES/VIDS] Pakistan name an 18-player squad for 3-match T20I series against New Zealand

Are you trolling? Or maybe you genuinely don't know that the 4-day match got canceled due to Corona and the player being holed up in their rooms leading up to the game. Had Misbah not called off the match, it still would not have gone on as more positive cases were reported after that. There were a good number of practice matches to be held but then the Positive cases came out and we were on the verge of being deported back to Pakistan. These are clearly exceptional times. I am not backing Misbah, his team selection is uninspiring most of the time, however, this squad is the best that could have been made from the present resources.

Ok bro!!! you win. If preparation for our test team was so high priority we should cancel the Shaheen for the time being.
Also you cannot call someone troll when some other can have better/different preference than.
Also it doesn't look good if Azhar, Yasir, Sohail.......(our test team) play against unknown U19/U23 players.

Last edited:
^^^^ If you look other teams they don't mix their youth team with test team. I.e Australia A, India A teams are playing same time where there main teams are playing. You will not see India benched their A players for their test players in order to give match practice against Australia A.
The sole purpose for this Shaheen team is to give exposer to our new players. What our new players will achieve by playing T20 matches against NZ A team?

^^^^ If you look other teams they don't mix their youth team with test team. I.e Australia A, India A teams are playing same time where there main teams are playing. You will not see India benched their A players for their test players in order to give match practice against Australia A.
The sole purpose for this Shaheen team is to give exposer to our new players. What our new players will achieve by playing T20 matches against NZ A team?

This is really it. The four day matches were a part of the Shaheen's tour, which has nothing to do with the main team.

Misbah as usual is absolutely clueless. Sohail Khan might end up playing the game, and that tells you everything you need to know about what a farce this has been.

This is really it. The four day matches were a part of the Shaheen's tour, which has nothing to do with the main team.

Misbah as usual is absolutely clueless. Sohail Khan might end up playing the game, and that tells you everything you need to know about what a farce this has been.

Yeah, you are acting like Sohail Khan hasn't been picked on the back of FC performances. Please do yourself a favor and look at the scoreboard of the Indian Men and Australian Men #-day game. It has FC status, and the likes of Jason Bird are playing while India has almost all of their main players playing except Kohli and Mayank. If you think that Pakistan should give more priority to Shaheen games than Tests then what is the point of staging the test matches? Maybe we should only send Shaheens and dissolve the National team?

For the record, the tour was planned so both got sufficient games but due to a forced quarantine, this had to happen. From what I have noticed some of you only want to make statements like "Misbah is clueless etc" and that's how you build the narrative of all what you say, even if it involves ignoring facts.

No zeeshan Malik in the T20 side. Surprised.

Babar and Shafique are same type of players.

If he's just as consistent, it won't be a problem. The thing is, I wouldn't open with Abdullah, I'd open with Haider. Babar could do what he does in the powerplay, but Haider can be the raw aggression which we so desperately need. If anything goes wrong, Abdullah can come in at 3 to play cool headed cricket with Babar. Hafeez can come in and do what he's been doing for the last few years. And then our middle order will have to finish the game off.

If he's just as consistent, it won't be a problem. The thing is, I wouldn't open with Abdullah, I'd open with Haider. Babar could do what he does in the powerplay, but Haider can be the raw aggression which we so desperately need. If anything goes wrong, Abdullah can come in at 3 to play cool headed cricket with Babar. Hafeez can come in and do what he's been doing for the last few years. And then our middle order will have to finish the game off.

Just observing Abdullah’s game in the National T20 cup, he always did well coming in early during the powerplay rather than in against the spinners. I think his stroke making is quite tantalizing as it means he can make use of the field setting the way Babar does. Haider will then come in later on when he can bash the spinners with Hafeez to consolidate the middle overs. If we were to add Azam Khan at 5, that would give us some momentum between overs 10-15 if he faces, say, even 15 deliveries to hit 25+ runs.

That’s how I see the best combination working out. On average we should aim for a game like this:

1. Babar 50(35) SR 142
2. Abdullah 30(22) SR 136
3. Haider 30(18) SR 167
4. Hafeez 40*(26) SR 154
5. Azam 25(15) SR 167
6. Khushdil 10*(4) SR 250

Did not bat: Imad, Shadab, Wahab

185-4 in 20 overs

I don’t think it’s super unreasonable as long as everyone chips in, with three remaining players in Imad, Shadab, and Wahab to cover our bases if we lose wickets before individual players achieve their respective targets. And there will be games where Babar, Haider, Abdullah, or Hafeez get set and go bigger than the scores listed above to compensate if the others get out.

So I don’t think this is an unreasonable strategy to consistently scoring a top class total in T20s.

That’s how I would design a role-based team. Everyone has a defined role - in this case Abdullah’s role is to bat out the new ball and not worry too much about SR, just give the team a stable base with Babar. Make use of the field setting when and where he can.

Haider and Azam are acceleraters, given the free rein to play their naturally aggressive game in overs 6-14, with Hafeez to consolidate around them. Khushdil to come in late game and smash a couple big sixes down the leg side.

The alternative strategy is to find an attacking opener to partner Babar in the vein of Fakhar - this was necessary during our number 1/UAE years because of a lack of SR in the middle order, otherwise if you look at how KL Rahul or Rohit Sharma or Shikhar Dhawan or Virat Kohli bat, they aren’t actually always that quick in the powerplay even on batting tracks against relatively inexperienced bowlers.

Last edited:
Just observing Abdullah’s game in the National T20 cup, he always did well coming in early during the powerplay rather than in against the spinners. I think his stroke making is quite tantalizing as it means he can make use of the field setting the way Babar does. Haider will then come in later on when he can bash the spinners with Hafeez to consolidate the middle overs. If we were to add Azam Khan at 5, that would give us some momentum between overs 10-15 if he faces, say, even 15 deliveries to hit 25+ runs.

That’s how I see the best combination working out. On average we should aim for a game like this:

1. Babar 50(35) SR 142
3. Haider 30(18) SR 167
4. Hafeez 40*(26) SR 154
5. Azam 25(15) SR 167

185-4 in 20 overs

I don’t think it’s super unreasonable as long as everyone chips in, with three remaining players in Imad, Shadab, and Wahab to cover our bases if we lose wickets before individual players achieve their respective targets. And there will be games where Babar, Haider, Abdullah, or Hafeez get set and go bigger than the scores listed above to compensate if the others get out.

So I don’t think this is an unreasonable strategy to consistently scoring a top class total in T20s.

That’s how I would design a role-based team. Everyone has a defined role - in this case Abdullah’s role is to bat out the new ball and not worry too much about SR, just give the team a stable base with Babar. Make use of the field setting when and where he can.

Haider and Azam are acceleraters, given the free rein to play their naturally aggressive game in overs 6-14, with Hafeez to consolidate around them. Khushdil to come in late game and smash a couple big sixes down the leg side.

The alternative strategy is to find an attacking opener to partner Babar in the vein of Fakhar - this was necessary during our number 1/UAE years because of a lack of SR in the middle order, otherwise if you look at how KL Rahul or Rohit Sharma or Shikhar Dhawan or Virat Kohli bat, they aren’t actually always that quick in the powerplay even on batting tracks against relatively inexperienced bowlers.

One of the openers has to have a high strike rate, just to make use of the power play in case it is a spinning track, because most teams dont bowl spinners in the powerplay.

Whilst I agree with what you said, I think that Haider should definitely be opening for Pakistan to make full use of the field restrictions. Abdullah should come in at no.3 in case Haider or Babar get out early and he should just play his natural game and hold the innings together, allowing the likes of Hafeez, Khushdil, Imad, Shadab, Danish Aziz/Azam Khan to accelerate.

If Azam Khan improves his fitness, I would not mind having him come in lower down the order to bash around some spinners and pacers.

I would also like to try and fit in Usman Qadir if possible, because he is a good leggie, which is needed for white-ball cricket.

1. Haider Ali
2. Babar Azam (c)
3. Abdullah Shafique (H Talat to replace him if he fails in the first 2 t20s)
4. M Hafeez
5. Khushdil Shah
6. Shadab K
7. Sarfraz Ahmed (wk)
8. Wahab Riaz
9. Usman Qadir / Imad Wasim / Hasnain (depending on the pitch)
10. Haris Rauf
11. Shaheen Shah

This is total waste of Shaheen’s tour. With lot of young guns part of tour squad this is kit worth of losing two months of domestic cricket 4day matches for one of 4 day match.

They should have played against NZ A instead of intra squad.

Please check the squad for aus a's latest game .

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...indians-tour-match-india-in-australia-2020-21

This is total waste of Shaheen’s tour. With lot of young guns part of tour squad this is kit worth of losing two months of domestic cricket 4day matches for one of 4 day match.

They should have played against NZ A instead of intra squad.

I think you missed the whole Covid fiasco or maybe you are just conveniently ignoring it. The games were planned against NZ A but due to exceptional circumstances it had to pan out this way.

Yeah, you are acting like Sohail Khan hasn't been picked on the back of FC performances. Please do yourself a favor and look at the scoreboard of the Indian Men and Australian Men #-day game. It has FC status, and the likes of Jason Bird are playing while India has almost all of their main players playing except Kohli and Mayank. If you think that Pakistan should give more priority to Shaheen games than Tests then what is the point of staging the test matches? Maybe we should only send Shaheens and dissolve the National team?

For the record, the tour was planned so both got sufficient games but due to a forced quarantine, this had to happen. From what I have noticed some of you only want to make statements like "Misbah is clueless etc" and that's how you build the narrative of all what you say, even if it involves ignoring facts.

What facts?

The forced quarantine ended yesterday. The first Shaheen game was to played on the 10th. They could have easily made it. Instead we cancelled for practice. Now the second game most likely going to feature no one, apart from Rohail, who the Shaheen team was designed for.

The test team didn't have any practice matches scheduled. They knew beforehand they would be in quarantine/isolation and may be allowed to train pending approval and even them only in limited numbers untill the isolation period was over.

The main point that people are repeatedly pointinh out is that the tours are two seperate things. I don't know how many times it has to be repeated. They have nothing to do with each other.

If there were no Covid cases how would have this worked out any differently? The squad gets limited time to train in sperate bunches and they still have to complete the isolation period, which ended on the 8th. After that they have no matches at all till the test games. Now what is so different here than before?

The tests are still two weeks away. Plenty of time to practice and get used to the conditions. On other tours we get even less. If anything it's the T20 team who should say they haven't had the time, even they will get 8 days.

The India example doesn't work because that is not a tour for the A team. Like the last time we went to Australia, we had similar practice matches. It would be have been an equivalent situation if on the India A tour they put Dhawan in the team.

Sohail Khan is 36, has no future and won't play in the test games. What use is it to have him in the squad and even more so in a squad that is meant to be for upcoming players.

Meanwhile we are saying that Haider and Abdullah are the future for us. Instead of giving them the games intended for them, they have now made sure that the two haven't played any FC cricket for the better part of a year. That is some way to bring up your future talent. Gill is meanwhile playing the A games instead of the T20 series going on, has played the A games in NZ as well. Now when he eventually does better on the next Aus/NZ tour and our players fail, we will blame them and wish they had turned out like the Indian counterparts. All the while ignoring how they got to be that good in the first place.

Those are the facts.

My expected “Shaheens, but not really” team:

1. Abid Ali
2. Shan Masood
3. Imran Butt
4. Azhar Ali
5. Haris Sohail
6. Fawad Alam
7. Rohail Nazir (wk)
8. Yasir Shah
9. Amad Butt
10. Mohammad Abbas
11. Naseem Shah

Bench: Zeeshan Malik, Imam ul Haq, Danish Aziz, Sohail Khan, and Zafar Gohar.

Really, the only “youngsters” will be Imran Butt, Rohail Nazir, Amad Butt, and Naseem Shah. You can’t even play a true Shaheens team because you run out of batsmen and pacers, so this is the closest you can get:

1. Zeeshan Malik
2. Imran Butt
3. Imam ul Haq
4. Haris Sohail
5. Danish Aziz
6. Rohail Nazir (wk) (c)
7. Zafar Gohar
8. Amad Butt
9. Sohail Khan
10. Mohammad Abbas
11. Naseem Shah

Bench: Azhar Ali, Abid Ali, Shan Masood, Fawad Alam, Yasir Shah

I would actually prefer giving Azhar, Abid, Shan some practice given how bad this Shaheens team is. It’s missing all of our top rated long-format batsmen in Haider Ali, Abdullah Shafique, and Saud Shakeel, and the only players who really really truly deserve to be there are Imran Butt, Zafar Gohar, Amad Butt, and Naseem Shah.

1. Abid Ali
2. Shan Masood
3. Imran Butt
4. Azhar Ali
5. Haris Sohail
6. Fawad Alam
7. Rohail Nazir (wk)
8. Yasir Shah
9. Amad Butt
10. Mohammad Abbas
11. Naseem Shah

I would actually prefer giving Azhar, Abid, Shan some practice given how bad this Shaheens team is. It’s missing all of our top rated long-format batsmen in Haider Ali, Abdullah Shafique, and Saud Shakeel, and the only players who really really truly deserve to be there are Imran Butt, Zafar Gohar, Amad Butt, and Naseem Shah.

Interestingly all the names I mentioned in the last sentence are playing in the oldies lineup that Misbah is likely to go with. Except Zafar Gohar. So I actually have no gripes with him putting that first team forward.

Danish Aziz brought in on the basis of T20 performance, put out to play FC.
Hussain Talat brought in on the basis of FC performance, put out to play T20.
Ammad Butt brought in on the basis of T20 performance, put out to play FC.
Fahim Ashraf brought in on the basis of FC performance, put out to play T20.

Just Misbah things :misbah:

I'm glad to see Talat in the squad. He deserves his chance.

Really do not get the Musa selection. And Sarfraz is finished as an international cricketer. Would have been worth trying Azam Khan or taking another younger keeper for experience.

Yes but i think he should have been in the 4 day shaheens squad/team

Azam khan will be pakistan keeper bateman give it less than 1 year i can see it happening.

Are you trolling? Or maybe you genuinely don't know that the 4-day match got canceled due to Corona and the player being holed up in their rooms leading up to the game. Had Misbah not called off the match, it still would not have gone on as more positive cases were reported after that. There were a good number of practice matches to be held but then the Positive cases came out and we were on the verge of being deported back to Pakistan. These are clearly exceptional times. I am not backing Misbah, his team selection is uninspiring most of the time, however, this squad is the best that could have been made from the present resources.

They could have moved the tour by 1 week

1. Babar 50(35) SR 142
3. Haider 30(18) SR 167
4. Hafeez 40*(26) SR 154
5. Azam 25(15) SR 167

185-4 in 20 overs

I think haider should open hes an attacking batesman and if he partners with babar oppening he can learn a few tricks and maybe become even better later. Or we could have babar and Abdullah oppening if the score is below par score but if its a well above par score then haider should definitely open that will set the tone

1. Haider Ali
2. Babar Azam (c)
4. M Hafeez
5. Khushdil Shah
6. Shadab K
7. Sarfraz Ahmed (wk)
8. Wahab Riaz
10. Haris Rauf
11. Shaheen Shah

You want to play 3 spinners in new zealand on 60m pitches?

1. Abid Ali
2. Shan Masood
3. Imran Butt
4. Azhar Ali
5. Haris Sohail
6. Fawad Alam
7. Rohail Nazir (wk)
8. Yasir Shah
9. Amad Butt
10. Mohammad Abbas
11. Naseem Shah

Bench: Zeeshan Malik, Imam ul Haq, Danish Aziz, Sohail Khan, and Zafar Gohar.

Really, the only “youngsters” will be Imran Butt, Rohail Nazir, Amad Butt, and Naseem Shah. You can’t even play a true Shaheens team because you run out of batsmen and pacers, so this is the closest you can get:

1. Zeeshan Malik
2. Imran Butt
3. Imam ul Haq
4. Haris Sohail
5. Danish Aziz
6. Rohail Nazir (wk) (c)
7. Zafar Gohar
8. Amad Butt
9. Sohail Khan
10. Mohammad Abbas
11. Naseem Shah

Bench: Azhar Ali, Abid Ali, Shan Masood, Fawad Alam, Yasir Shah

Very similar line up to mine :)

What facts?

The forced quarantine ended yesterday. The first Shaheen game was to played on the 10th. They could have easily made it. Instead we cancelled for practice. Now the second game most likely going to feature no one, apart from Rohail, who the Shaheen team was designed for.

The test team didn't have any practice matches scheduled. They knew beforehand they would be in quarantine/isolation and may be allowed to train pending approval and even them only in limited numbers untill the isolation period was over.

The main point that people are repeatedly pointinh out is that the tours are two seperate things. I don't know how many times it has to be repeated. They have nothing to do with each other.

If there were no Covid cases how would have this worked out any differently? The squad gets limited time to train in sperate bunches and they still have to complete the isolation period, which ended on the 8th. After that they have no matches at all till the test games. Now what is so different here than before?

The tests are still two weeks away. Plenty of time to practice and get used to the conditions. On other tours we get even less. If anything it's the T20 team who should say they haven't had the time, even they will get 8 days.

The India example doesn't work because that is not a tour for the A team. Like the last time we went to Australia, we had similar practice matches. It would be have been an equivalent situation if on the India A tour they put Dhawan in the team.

Sohail Khan is 36, has no future and won't play in the test games. What use is it to have him in the squad and even more so in a squad that is meant to be for upcoming players.

Meanwhile we are saying that Haider and Abdullah are the future for us. Instead of giving them the games intended for them, they have now made sure that the two haven't played any FC cricket for the better part of a year. That is some way to bring up your future talent. Gill is meanwhile playing the A games instead of the T20 series going on, has played the A games in NZ as well. Now when he eventually does better on the next Aus/NZ tour and our players fail, we will blame them and wish they had turned out like the Indian counterparts. All the while ignoring how they got to be that good in the first place.

Those are the facts.

They had everything to do with each other. Do you think Pakistan can afford to send an A team to New Zealand in Covid times all by itself?

As for Haidar and Abdullah, both will play the t20s. Much better to play Intl cricket in New Zealand. The Shaheen tour doesn't hold any weight if the main tour is a failure.

And how can you say plenty of time to practice when the quarantine went on for so much longer than expected. Do you know how planning and management works?

And again these older players are only in the squad because they couldn't be in the t20 squad. The playing 11s arent out yet. If you think that only Rohail will play from the Shaheen players then you should just wait for the game to start and see for yourself. Very easy to make comments and give solutions without being on the ground in a practical situation.

Danish Aziz brought in on the basis of T20 performance, put out to play FC.
Hussain Talat brought in on the basis of FC performance, put out to play T20.
Ammad Butt brought in on the basis of T20 performance, put out to play FC.
Fahim Ashraf brought in on the basis of FC performance, put out to play T20.

Just Misbah things :misbah:

Talat performed in both t20s and FC, and Ammad was brought in for a 6-fer in FC. He didn't perform very well in the Nt t20 actually. And as for Danish, I think Talat was given preference over him cuz of Talats intl experience and the fact that he bowls medium pace. His kind of bowling isn't bad for New Zealand.

Talat performed in both t20s and FC, and Ammad was brought in for a 6-fer in FC. He didn't perform very well in the Nt t20 actually. And as for Danish, I think Talat was given preference over him cuz of Talats intl experience and the fact that he bowls medium pace. His kind of bowling isn't bad for New Zealand.

This. Also, the folks who were brought in on the basis of T20 performances, will all be playing T20s.

The Shaheens have 6 T20 matches coming up, in which time the actual Shaheens will be playing (while Azhar, Shan, Abid swap over for Test cricket).

We’re likely to see this Shaheens T20 lineup:

1. Zeeshan Malik
2. Abdullah Shafique
3. Haider Ali (vc)
4. Rohail Nazir (wk) (c)
5. Hussain Talat
6. Danish Aziz
7. Amad Butt
8. Usman Qadir
9. Zafar Gohar
10. Haris Rauf
11. Mohammad Hasnain

I’m pretty happy with it.

1. Haider Ali
2. Babar Azam (c)
4. M Hafeez
5. Khushdil Shah
6. Shadab K
7. Sarfraz Ahmed (wk)
8. Wahab Riaz
10. Haris Rauf
11. Shaheen Shah

The tail is too long in my opinion. Imad is simply undroppable because he is one of our main bowlers who operates in the powerplay without leaking too many runs. Also don't like playing Sarfaraz that low down were he is most unlikely to make an impact. My revised team would look like:

Babar Azam (c)
Haider Ali
Abdullah Shafique
Mohammad Hafeez
Sarfaraz Ahmed
Khushdil Shah
Imad Wasim
Shadab Khan (vc)
Wahab Riaz
Shaheen Shah
Haris Rauf

There are 7 bowling options available if needed, though most are spinners. Whilst I did not change any major components of the team, I think that Sarfaraz would be much more effective higher up the order at 5 where he is more likely to face spin as opposed to death-over bowling. With Khushdil, Imad and Shadab coming after him, he should maximize his ability to rotate strike and hit boundaries against spinners.

The trio of Khushdil, Imad, and Shadab should be able to get some quick runs if needed, and also stabilize the innings if required.

As for the bowling, we have two left-arm quicks. We cannot change where Shaheen Shah bowls, which is two overs in the powerplay and two overs in the death. However, we need to decide where to use Haris Rauf and Wahab Riaz. Every time we have given Haris Rauf the opportunity to bowl in the powerplay, he has conceded runs. I personally think that he should be bowled in the middle overs and try to take wickets. Shaheen, Imad, and Wahab should bowl in the powerplay, whereas Shadab comes into bowl with Haris in the middle overs.

This. Also, the folks who were brought in on the basis of T20 performances, will all be playing T20s.

The Shaheens have 6 T20 matches coming up, in which time the actual Shaheens will be playing (while Azhar, Shan, Abid swap over for Test cricket).

We’re likely to see this Shaheens T20 lineup:

1. Zeeshan Malik
2. Abdullah Shafique
3. Haider Ali (vc)
4. Rohail Nazir (wk) (c)
5. Hussain Talat
6. Danish Aziz
7. Amad Butt
8. Usman Qadir
9. Zafar Gohar
10. Haris Rauf
11. Mohammad Hasnain

I’m pretty happy with it.

Abdullah and Haider need as much FC exposure as they can get. Not this plethora of T20's.

My shaheens team

Zeeshan malik
Haider ali
Abdullah shafique
Hussain talat
Rohail nazir
Danish aziz
Ammad butt
Gohar
Qadir
Husnain
Rauf