[PICTURES] Will anything concrete come out of the visit of the BCCI delegation to Pakistan?

Will anything concrete come out of the visit of the BCCI delegation to Pakistan?

• Total voters

Hassan A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
So they are in Pakistan now - but what will this visit achieve and could this be the proverbial 'ice breaker' we have all been talking about (or hoping for)?

==

"Visit to Pakistan purely for Cricket": BCCI VP Rajeev Shukla

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) President Roger Binny and Vice-President Rajeev Shukla arrived at Punjab's Amritsar airport to visit Pakistan for Asia Cup 2023 on Monday.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) President Roger Binny and Vice-President Rajeev Shukla arrived at Punjab's Amritsar airport as they embark on a visit to Pakistan for Asia Cup 2023 on Monday. They are likely to be present in the Gadaffi stadium for Tuesday's match. Binny and Shukla are travelling to Pakistan after an invitation was extended to the members of the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) and other cricket boards by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to attend the mega event.

Shukla made it clear that their two-day visit is not for political reasons but purely cricket. "This two-day visit is purely from the point of view of cricket, nothing political, a dinner has been hosted and three teams will be there - Pakistan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh."

While Binny, who is making his first visit to Pakistan since 2006 is looking forward to it and said, "I am looking forward to my visit since we've been to Colombo to see matches in Sri Lanka." When asked about why the Indian team did not tour Pakistan for the tournament and the future possibility of such a tour, Rajeev Shukla said " We will go by the advice of the government, whatever the government will decide we will do that."

The 2023 Asia Cup is being held in Pakistan and Sri Lanka between August 30 and September 17. Pakistan are in Group A alongside Nepal and India. Meanwhile, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Sri Lanka are in Group B.

Pakistan cricket team will play the tournament's opener against Nepal, who will be playing their first Asia Cup, on August 30 in Multan. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) secretary and Asian Cricket Council (ACC) president, Jay Shah, on July 19 announced the schedule for the Asia Cup 2023.

The tournament kicked off on August 30, the arch-rivals India and Pakistan have already faced each other once on September 2, with India posting a total of 266 on the board in the first innings. However, the game was washed out completely due to rain in Kandy and both teams walked out with a point each. India will play their final group match on Monday against Nepal in the Pallekele International Cricket Stadium. (ANI)

Last edited by a moderator:
Expect a lot of hype from Pakistan media and attempts to not mention on the India side.

The Indian media hasn't even talked about it...not a lot anyway. The Pakistani media will probably talk about this more than the upcoming elections lol

All in all, I'm not sure what will happen...I can't imagine team India being allowed to play v Pakistan in Pakistan.

If they want better relationship then move all the remaining Asia Cup game from srilanka to Pakistan .

27509_2491989_updates.jpg

BCCI vice-president Rajeev Shukla:

"We have come here on the invitation of PCB. We have very old cricket relations and we feel happy to be here,

BCCI president Roger Binny:

"Happy to be back in Pakistan after so long"

"We will watch Afghanistan vs Sri Lanka match tomorrow"

So BCCI can move ‘purely for cricket and nothing political’?

Roger binny is anglo Indian so expect him to be different than all those other political BCCI representatives. Hopefully some dialogue takes place, but i doubt they would do anything concrete.

I work here in the very same hotel, they came had coffee / tea / snacks and went to their rooms. They will go for a dinner tonight in governor house and tomorrow they will be watching one game and day after tomorrow they will be flying back home. There is no official meeting scheduled so no chance

Chairman PCB Management Committee Mr Zaka Ashraf welcomes BCCI President Roger Binny, BCCI Vice-President Rajiv Shukla, Secretary UP Cricket Association Yudhvir Singh and Secretary to Vice-President BCCI Mohammad Akram in Lahore.

1693831877294.png
1693831860910.png
1693831833364.png
1693831711836.png
1693830091793.png

Last edited:
Should convince BCCI to have the super 4 matches in Pakistan. There is no way any game happening in Sri Lanka due to rain. It will be huge financial loss for broadcasters if the Asia cup matches get washed out. Perfect opportunity for Zaka Ashraf to make sense with BCCI and somehow convince them to have the remaining games in Pakistan.

I
Should convince BCCI to have the super 4 matches in Pakistan. There is no way any game happening in Sri Lanka due to rain. It will be huge financial loss for broadcasters if the Asia cup matches get washed out. Perfect opportunity for Zaka Ashraf to make sense with BCCI and somehow convince them to have the remaining games in Pakistan.
if pcb have not keep on piling the dirt on Bcci unnecessarily in recent times,then this is a perfect catch 22 to caught bcci off guard and relocate the matches.I think pcb burnt the bridges too fast.Atleast if congress is in power, pcb may have got their wish.

Roger binny is anglo Indian so expect him to be different than all those other political BCCI representatives. Hopefully some dialogue takes place, but i doubt they would do anything concrete.
Binny is a BJP man.

Anyways, the power lies with Jay Shahm

Doubt anything will come out of it, but it's a step in the right direction at the very least.

Yup! If one were to understand geo politics.

Pak will be giving out concession not just in cricket but in other area like plates of sweets ( mithai) are served at a wedding.

Hoping against hope....... there must be some reason these guys agreed to come. The financial lure of a bilateral series must be high?!

the way bcci humiliated pcb with asia cup and logo fiasco this visit doesn't make any sense .Pcb is coward and lost any tiny little self respect they have .😡😡😡😡

These things are always good but the problem is that BCCI will never act outside the remit of GOI.

The real change will come from there.

Boot em out these guys want nothing but destruction of Pak/cricket, see how gambhir turned kohli kohli chants into Kashmir Pak issue !!

BCCI officials don't want PCB to creat any headache during the WC, hence they are trying to be with PCB , after the WC, business as usual.

They are currently attempting to rectify their situation by addressing the mess.

They should have sent their team to play the Asia Cup here in Pakistan.

They are posing for pictures, saying the right things, smiling, eating Pakistani food and enjoying the hospitality.

Only due to their role in the Asian Cricket Council.

Business as normal as soon as they are back in India!

Hoping against hope....... there must be some reason these guys agreed to come. The financial lure of a bilateral series must be high?!

BCCI just got paid $8mn plus per match for its bilateral tv rights deal. Not per year, per match.

So the last thing BCCI has in mind is money from Pakistan.

These things are always good but the problem is that BCCI will never act outside the remit of GOI.

The real change will come from there.

If BCCI wants, they can do a lot of things without needing to go to GOI.

For example a Tri Series in UAE.

But BCCI itself isn't very keen on relations with PCB.

Recently at the ICC conference, PCB was the only board to oppose the BCCI initiated financial model.

They are posing for pictures, saying the right things, smiling, eating Pakistani food and enjoying the hospitality.

I don't know why they were invited and I don't know why did they go.

It goes a long way to expose their hypocrisy

I don't know why they were invited and I don't know why did they go.
Zaka Ashraf wants to show his critics that he's the man who managed get BCCI officials to Pakistan after such a long time.

I'm surprised the BCCI guys actually turned up in Pakistan.

Zaka Ashraf wants to show his critics that he's the man who managed get BCCI officials to Pakistan after such a long time.

I'm surprised the BCCI guys actually turned up in Pakistan.

This is a futile bill increasing exercise of the PCB

BCCI officials attended the PCB dinner and got a chance to address the crowd:

Rajiv Shukla was asked about the chances of India-Pakistan bilateral resuming and he was quick to say:

"The decision with regards to bilateral series is taken by the Indian government and we would follow whatever the government suggests."

Stuart Binny, on the other hand, remembered his last trip to the country 18 years ago saying, "I am very pleased to be back in Pakistan. My last visit to Pakistan was in 2005 when we worked with the Pakistan fast bowlers for the Asian Cricket Council. It's been a very welcome trip. Thank you for inviting us over."

"I thank both Mr Binny and Mr Shukla from the core of my heart for accepting our invitation. We invited and they responded and if they reciprocate by inviting us to their country, we will also accept it with all warmth. Inshallah, we will grow together," Zaka Ashraf said.

The visit is solely aimed at encouraging Pakistan to visit India without generating any negative news in the coming days. The BCCI wants to maintain a delicate balance.

However, Pakistan should also consider this as an opportunity to initiate discussions about the Indian cricket team visiting Pakistan for the Champions Trophy next year. Why can't we persuade them to come here and participate in an ICC tournament? All the ceremonial gestures are futile; we need the PCB to engage in serious discussions with them during meetings and handle the situation diplomatically

Roger Binny speaking at the PCB Gala Dinner:

"I would like to thank to Pakistan Cricket Board for the invitation to tonight's programme. I bring you greetings from the BCCI, and from the cricket lovers of India. As your Excellency said that India-Pakistan is one of the biggest games that is played. I can tell you, sir. When India plays Pakistan, everything comes to a standstill"

"People don't work, the roads are empty. Everybody's in front of the television watching cricket. That's how big cricket is in India and Pakistan,"

"I must thank the Pakistan Cricket Board for its hospitality from the time we crossed the border this afternoon. It was a It was a wonderful experience"

Back to square one.

==

The President of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), Roger Binny, and the Vice-President, Rajeev Shukla, returned to the Attari-Wagah border in Amritsar after completing their visit to Pakistan on Wednesday (September 6). Their visit to Pakistan came about in response to an invitation extended by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to members of the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) and representatives from various cricket boards. The purpose of their visit was to attend the Asia Cup matches held in Lahore.

During their stay in Pakistan, they also had the opportunity to interact with players from the cricket teams of Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Sri Lanka. This interaction took place at a grand gala dinner organized as part of the Asia Cup festivities.

"It was a two-day visit and a good visit. The Governor hosted a dinner in our honour. The hospitality of the people of the Pakistan Cricket Board was also good. Their demand was that cricket between the two countries should be resumed, we said it would be decided by govt and we would do whatever our govt would say. It was a cricket visit and there was no political agenda," said Shukla as quoted by ANI.

"The meeting was very good. The Pakistan Cricket Board took very good care of us. It was goodwill visit for cricket which went well. It is for the government to decide (whether India will visit Pakistan for cricket series)," Shukla told PTI.

Meanwhile, BCCI President Roger Binny also said that they received a warm hospitality in Pakistan. Overall, he called it a "fantastic experience."

"It was a fantastic experience. Like when we played the test match in 1984 the same hospitality was given to us. We were treated like kings over there, so it was an excellent time for us. We were able to meet all the Pakistan officials and the Pakistan Cricket Board. They are very happy with the outcome of us coming there as we were so happy to be there also at the same time," the former India all-rounder said as per ANI.

"The government is going to take a call on whether India will play Pakistan. Hopefully it will happen because the World Cup is coming," says Binny told PTI.

Back