Pitches for the ICC T20 World Cup 2024 - what can we expect?

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The cricket pitches shipped from Australia to the US

The pitches used in the United States at this summer's men's T20 World Cup will have had quite the journey when the first ball is bowled at the tournament - being transported over 14,000 miles.

They have come in by ship from Adelaide in Australia, via Florida, as organisers run a major global cricket tournament in the USA for the very first time.

Matches will be played at bespoke venues in New York, Texas and Florida.

The opening game between USA and Canada, and the biggest game of the group stages, India versus Pakistan, will both be played in the States.

There are 16 matches being played in the US, with the other 39 being held in the West Indies.

And getting the States ready for cricket is quite the undertaking, especially when it comes to preparing cricket pitches.

"Our aim is to produce pitches that have pace and consistent bounce, on which the players can play their shots," said Adelaide Oval pitch curator Damian Hough, who has been tasked with growing pitches in Australia and transporting them to the US.

"We want entertaining cricket, but there are challenges."

Work on the 10 drop-in pitches started at the beginning of October 2023 when they were initially planted in trays. Each pitch was split into two trays, with the end aim being the production of four match-ready pitches and six practice strips.

A clay-like soil, which is also used at baseball venues in the US, is being used together with a particular grass which is suited to warmer climates and resistant to rolling and heavy use.

The trays were transported in a shipping container on a boat from Adelaide to Florida in January. They have since grown in a warm climate - New York was enduring freezing temperatures at the time - prior to being taken by road to their eventual destination.

To limit the time they are on the back of a lorry, two drivers will be employed to drive each vehicle, limiting the need to stop for breaks.

It will then take Hough and his team 12 hours to bed the pitch in at the venues, some of which are being purpose built for the tournament.

"I have mixed feelings," said Hough, who is a guest on this week's Stumped podcast.

"I'm really excited, but I'm a bit anxious at the same time - there are still unknowns.

"This is a long process. What we do know is we've given it our best shot.

"We've thoroughly thought through every possible outcome and issue along the way and we're hoping that they're going to be some good cricket pitches."

SOURCE: https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/articles/cjmkwjn98ego

As a pakistani we r not in a condition of any expectations from our boys, all we need to just pray!

I'll restate what I posted elsewhere. New York is an unknown, but the average 1st inns score in Dallas during last year's Major League Cricket was 167.

In Florida the average 1st inns score in T20Is is 165. No team has crossed 200 since WI and India had a massive runfest in 2016.

In the Caribbean there's a wide variety of conditions. These are the avg totals in completed T20Is since January 2019 at the grounds hosting WC matches:

Barbados - 173
St Lucia - 171
Trinidad (Brian Lara Academy) - 184
Guyana - 155

St Vincent hasn't hosted a T20I since 2013. Meanwhile the last time the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua hosted a T20I was a Regional Qualifier in 2021 involving likes of Panama, Belize, Argentina etc. The par score was 138 but that doesn't give you a true impression of what to expect in June. WI haven't played a T20I there since 2013 and it hasn't hosted any CPL fixtures since 2014.

Caveating all these numbers - CWI Director of Cricket Miles Bascombe said in a February podcast that the pitches have been relaid. At St Vincent he said they've reduced the clay content from 4ft to 8in and introduced a layer of gravel to increase the pace and bounce.

Long story short, don't go in with too many preconceived notions.

Hope they produce bouncy pitches. Only type of pitches Indian team is good at.

Last edited by a moderator:
if indian team is good playing on bouncy tracks so why do they prepare dusty low bounce tracks while playing at their home grounds?

Where did you see dusty bowls in the Bazball series. When it comes to low bounce Pakistan pitches have the lowest bounce as per cricviz. Bumrah was one of the highest wicekt taker. And also Akash deep beat them for sheer pace.

Where did you see dusty bowls in the Bazball series. When it comes to low bounce Pakistan pitches have the lowest bounce as per cricviz. Bumrah was one of the highest wicekt taker. And also Akash deep beat them for sheer pace.
agreed pakistani pitches doesnt offer much bounce but Indian pitches are also very much similar, if u see ahmedabad wicket hardly gets any bounce and during that bazball series spinners were dominating where number of times we have seen that ball was keeping low and turning like a hell.

agreed pakistani pitches doesnt offer much bounce but Indian pitches are also very much similar, if u see ahmedabad wicket hardly gets any bounce and during that bazball series spinners were dominating where number of times we have seen that ball was keeping low and turning like a hell.

There is a reason why Indians bat well in Australia compared to other countries where there is movement on the offer. Because they handle bounce. Kookaburra doesn't move much compared to duke . Also SA pitches are tailor made for different teams. If the ball is just bouncing without movement Indians handle better. I am talking about the guys like Rohit, Rahul Kohli. But they still won't sscore fast. They will play slow. All the 5 test mache were played on very good trackss. If anything India often fails on turning wickets. Only wicket that turned on day 5 ( which is how a proper wicket would be) was the first test. India batted last and failed.

bz84doczhft91.jpg

The drop in pitches are likely to be a bit tricky for the batters and we should not be expecting the kind of scores we are seeing in the ongoing IPL in the upcoming T20 World Cup matches in USA.

Stats for the world cup grounds in West indies for the last 5 years

I have chosen only the venues where the matches will be held. But if they use drop-in pitches you can ignore these stats.

Spinners 151 wickets 5 maidens 22.82 average 7.06 ER
Pacers 234 wickets 8 maidens 24.02 average 8.42 ER

Screenshot-2024-04-29-000528.png

Pitch installation at Nassau County International Cricket Stadium marks another exciting milestone

The International Cricket Council (ICC) proudly announced today the crucial phase of construction at Nassau County International Cricket Stadium in New York with the transportation and installation of the pitches that will serve as the centerpiece of the playing surface.

Ten drop-in pitches have been prepared in Florida since late December, employing proprietary techniques honed over a decade at Adelaide Oval. The development of the pitches has been undertaken by Adelaide Oval Turf Solutions, led by renowned Adelaide Oval Head Curator Damian Hough.

The pitches, cultivated with native Tahoma 31 Bermuda grass, have been meticulously nurtured in Florida by Adelaide Oval Turf Solutions and US-based sports turf experts LandTek Group, undergoing continuous care and maintenance over the past three months.

Four pitches will be set up at Nassau County International Cricket Stadium, with an additional six designated for neighboring practice facilities. The Adelaide Oval Turf Solutions team will remain in New York to assist local grounds crews in pitch maintenance throughout the World Cup to ensure world-class pitches that will set the stage for unforgettable cricket.

The drop-in square – the type used around the world including at Adelaide Oval and Eden Park – has been curated in Florida and transported by road to New York via a convoy of more than 20 semi-trailer trucks, thanks to the support of the ICC’s Official Global Logistics Partner DP World.

The outfield was laid last week by LandTek who have worked with the New York Yankees and New York Mets as well as Inter Miami CF on their stadium and training fields.

ICC Head of Events Chris Tetley said: “The installation of these pitches is one of the final pieces in a project that is unprecedented in international cricket. We have taken a considered and well-planned approach to this project, using the very best in the business in Damian Hough to ensure we have the best possible playing surface for eight World Cup matches in New York.

“T20 as a format was an innovation in its time to bring the sport of cricket to a new and expanded audience. This innovative strategy, to bring the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 to the United States, with a temporary venue and a pitch that has its founding on the other side of the globe, is truly groundbreaking and I can’t wait to see the world’s best compete in Nassau County this June.”

Adelaide Oval Head Curator, Damian Hough said: “We are excited to see the arrival of the pitches here in New York. Florida proved to be the ideal nursery for the pitches with good weather, and working alongside great partners like LandTek has been fantastic and everything is coming together as it should.

“We’re now focused on bedding in the pitches here in New York to ensure we’re delivering an end product of the highest quality.

“The games in New York are a great platform for us to showcase our abilities to a global audience. It’s certainly a massive thrill for everyone at Adelaide Oval to be involved in such a huge event."

The matches in New York will take place at a state-of-the-art 34,000-seat modular stadium located at Eisenhower Park in Nassau County, east of Manhattan. Nine teams will feature in New York including India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Canada, Ireland, Bangladesh, South Africa, the Netherlands, and the USA, with the first match taking place on 3 June between 2014 champions Sri Lanka and South Africa.

ICC

hopefully we get pitches where 160-165 is par , do not wish to see bowlers being slaughtered .

hopefully we get pitches where 160-165 is par , do not wish to see bowlers being slaughtered .
yeah pitches in the West Indies offer equal opportunities to both batters and bowlers so hopefully some good cricketing wickets we will see... scores above 160 would be a winning total most of the times.

Member Selection Committee, Mohammad Yousaf Speaking during the squad announcement press conference:

When asked regarding Dallas's pitch that it can be a seaming pitch:

“People are saying this, but no one has seen it. You don’t get an idea until you step onto the pitch. If you ask me, I never got an idea just by looking at the pitch, not until I played a couple of balls. So, making any comments from the outside would be premature. I’ve heard that the pitch in Ireland is the same that is being prepared in New York. If you look at the pitches overall, they are quite flat in T20s and are mostly for batting. There are a few pitches where the ball might turn or seam a bit, but mostly they are batting pitches which are very easy for batters and challenging for bowlers. However, if you consider our team, our combination is very good for all kinds of pitches and oppositions. The Pakistan team is ready for it.”​

Back