Player allegedly paid 1.5m rupees to get selected / Shafqat Rana threatens to sue

saeed-sohail

Senior T20I Player
Runs
One of my mates who supports Eng sent me a text saying one of pak selectors asked a young player for 1.5m rupees to get him picked in national team. Has anyone heared this story as I never came across this. Absolutely shocking if true.

saeed-sohail said:
One of my mates who supports Eng sent me a text saying one of pak selectors asked a young player for 1.5m rupees to get him picked in national team. Has anyone heared this story as I never came across this. Absolutely shocking if true.
I believe this was one of the nuggets that was tossed around during the Geo cricket trial program. The player in question is Wahab Riaz and the selector was Shafqat Rana.

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showpost.php?p=2435513&postcount=61

Sohaib-789 said:
yeh wahab riaz was asked to pay 15 lakh rupees to play in asia cup.
Is this confirmed?Are we talking about 08 asia cup? Who was the selector?

damn, i didnt knew about this....why the hell did he payed him???? just to play one match???crap. that selector should have been taught a lesson.

saeed-sohail said:

how does your mate know?

The bribery part doesn't surprise me one bit. The amount he asked surprises me. I thought they would ask for more. :))

kingusama92 said:
The bribery part doesn't surprise me one bit. The amount he asked surprises me. I thought they would ask for more. :))
15 lacs is a large sum of money in pakistan esp for a young player. These same faces are in the board set up for last 15/20 years and they treat pakistan cricket team like their khala ka ghar.

In program one of Governing Board Members (Shakil Sheikh) admitted that Wahab Riaz wrote a letter to Ijaz Butt about this (and he was a witness). He also mentinoed that he told Ijaz Butt to do something about this but the Chief Minister of Punjab at that time actually called Ijaz Butt in Shafaqt Rana's favor. Also one former hockey player Akhtar Rasool (who is part of Punjab Govt and a politician now) came and met Ijaz Butt for supporting Shafqat Rana. In result Shafqat Rana was removed from his current position at that time and was giving another low profile position.

This is what was discussed in that Geo Program. Actually one of the reporter actually investigated this issue and he on the program brought it up.

And that's why Shafqat Rana has ben made the manager of the U-19 team? So he can corrupt young players?

what a shame if true, and sadly it wont surprise me at all.

One of my brother has a paranoia that PCB itself actually bets on fixes Pak results. The reason for (he gives) is that PCB is out of money due to lack of home games. I tell him that he is full of it, but i might be changing my mind. (again it is all hear say, i have no factual information, it is just paranoia stemming from Pak's dismal performances)

The saddest thing will be after this thing open in the public that Rana still keeps his position or any post with PCB for that matter. If that happens then we know we have no hope as a nation.

One of the posters mentioned about punjab CM coming to rescue rana. I don't follow any party they are all chor .

Shafqat to file defamation suit against accusers

Shafqat to file defamation suit against accusers

Staff Report

LAHORE: Former Pakistan Test cricketer Shafqat Rana on Sunday said that he would be filing defamation suit against those persons who accused him of taking ‘bribe’ from left arm medium fast bowler Wahab Riaz’s father for including his son in the Pakistan squad. The Islamabad Cricket Association (ICA) president and one Urdu newspaper journalist alleged during a TV programme that Shafqat received Rs 15,00,000 (fifteen lacs) from Shiekh Sikander, father of Wahab. They also alleged that Wahab’s father wrote a letter to the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) regarding this ‘bribe’, which in is possession of PCB chief Ijaz Butt. “I will take them to the court. They have tarnished my reputation through these lies,” Shafqat told Daily Times from Duabi, where is with the Pakistan A team as its manager. “I have talked to Wahab and he told me that this is all rubbish,” Shafqat added. When contacted Wahab’s father Sikander said he was very disturbed over the allegations against Shafqat. “This is beyond my comprehension why they have mentioned me and my son. My son does not need to give money to some selectors to play for Pakistan,” he said. My son has always represented Pakistan on merit,” he added. Skiander said he would take legal action against the ICA president and that reporter soon. “I will also address a press conference against these people for damaging my and my son’s reputation,” Sikander said.

Link: http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2010\02\08\story_8-2-2010_pg2_6

Disgusting allegations,glad Wahab has been included though he deserves an opportunity to stake his claim

Just goes to show that when some guy just blurbs something on media especially in Pakistan (doesn't matter who he is) - listen, get entertained and then wait. Opinions get formed after the first accusation and damage was done. Now who knows if this is true either

I can completely bet Shafqat Rana called up Wahab and his dad, threatened them with dire consequences if they didnt retract whatever they revealed to the media and to others. The guy has contacts as high up as the Chief Minister.

Badmaashi, death threats, life threats zindabad in Pakistan. I am glad that people revealed what this scum bag Shafqat Rana did. I am pretty certain this is nothing new and has been a part of our cricketing culture and god knows how deep rooted this problem is. The Audacity of a well off person to demand Rs 1.5 million from a poor cricketer to be selected in the team when he deserves to be selected in the team on merit.

People like Shafqat Rana need to be purged from Pakistan Cricket for good.

^^ Agreed.
Sorry my French but this shafqat Rana guy is a genuine product of Heera Mandi. He has pretty strong connections (and I bet relations) with Jehangir Badr and Reema who were pretty active behind his recruitment in PCB.
He is also the uncle of some film guy muammar rana

Uncle Sam said:
^^ Agreed.
Sorry my French but this shafqat Rana guy is a genuine product of Heera Mandi. He has pretty strong connections (and I bet relations) with Jehangir Badr and Reema who were pretty active behind his recruitment in PCB.
He is also the uncle of some film guy muammar rana

Actually he is the father of Muammar Rana...

Rana brothers have a complete hold over PCB and they have served in all administrations in one capacity or the other...

I don't know about you other allegations regarding Shafqat Rana...nor do I understand why he is a scum-bag as asserted by Savak...

Savak said:
I can completely bet Shafqat Rana called up Wahab and his dad, threatened them with dire consequences if they didnt retract whatever they revealed to the media and to others. The guy has contacts as high up as the Chief Minister.

Badmaashi, death threats, life threats zindabad in Pakistan. I am glad that people revealed what this scum bag Shafqat Rana did. I am pretty certain this is nothing new and has been a part of our cricketing culture and god knows how deep rooted this problem is. The Audacity of a well off person to demand Rs 1.5 million from a poor cricketer to be selected in the team when he deserves to be selected in the team on merit.

People like Shafqat Rana need to be purged from Pakistan Cricket for good.

who will purge them????????????????

Butt, another tout of zardari??

who, all of them are corrupt idiots.

Cheguvera said:
Actually he is the father of Muammar Rana...

Rana brothers have a complete hold over PCB and they have served in all administrations in one capacity or the other...

I don't know about you other allegations regarding Shafqat Rana...nor do I understand why he is a scum-bag as asserted by Savak...

these guys are badmaash group fully supported by thugs and budmuaash of lahore.
mansoor rana who was coach of under 19 team, shakeel sheikh and few others exposed his sick character, he used to put cigarette butts on under 19 players. what else God knows.
then shakeel shaikh is not saint? another scum of highest degree.
is hamam mein sub nungei hein???????????????????

I dont understand why Wahab would need to pay this sort of money. He's been on the verge of senior selection for a while now and surely just needs to be patient before he's given an opportunity.

The guy excelled on a tour of Australia matching Doug Bollinger on his home turf and he has to watch whilst the likes of Gul stink the place out. Shameful.

If any of the corrupt selecters are reading :

Wahab Riaz in Australia

Tests : 11 wickets @ 25
ODIs : 6 wickets @ 21

vs

Bollinger

Tests : 10 wickets @ 25
ODIs : 8 wickets @ 18

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine...ng_by_team.html?id=5052;team=2989;type=series

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine...ng_by_team.html?id=5051;team=2989;type=series

Ali888 said:
The guy excelled on a tour of Australia matching Doug Bollinger on his home turf and he has to watch whilst the likes of Gul stink the place out. Shameful.

If any of the corrupt selecters are reading :

Wahab Riaz in Australia

Tests : 11 wickets @ 25
ODIs : 6 wickets @ 21

vs

Bollinger

Tests : 10 wickets @ 25
ODIs : 8 wickets @ 18

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine...ng_by_team.html?id=5052;team=2989;type=series

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine...ng_by_team.html?id=5051;team=2989;type=series

Plus we shudn't forget that WAhab was bowling to a better batting side compared to BOLLINGER!!!

True

Wahab Riaz bowled against

Paine, Warner, Ferguson, Voges, White etc i.e. Australian senior team/fringe senior team

Bollinger bowled against

Hafeez, Fahad Iqbal, Khalid Latif etc who should be nowhere near the fringes of our B team let alone in an A team !

Rana & Rasheed families are destroying Pakistan cricket.

They are a cancer to the cricket and should be removed, but instead all of them would be rewarded.

Ali888 said:
True

Wahab Riaz bowled against

Paine, Warner, Ferguson, Voges, White etc i.e. Australian senior team/fringe senior team

Bollinger bowled against

Hafeez, Fahad Iqbal, Khalid Latif etc who should be nowhere near the fringes of our B team let alone in an A team !
Well said

saeed-sohail said:
Shocking. PMLn wah wah.

no Akhtar Rasool was part of the Mush-Chaudhary PML-Q camp and was in government during the last time, now he is in oppostion or actually i think got thrased in elections and is not even part of the Assembly.
Just trying to set the facts straght

Rana is also an ex provincial bureaucrat and minister......

The alleged 15Lakhs paid for Wahab's selection was paid to Shaqfat Rana

I was speaking to a former Pakistan test fast bowler yesterday and he was telling me that the 15Lakh paid for Wahab's selection was paid to Shaqfat Rana. This is nothing new for the Rana mafia remember Shakoor ruining Pakistan's relationship with England by making it a personal issue? Mansoor Rana cheating in the coaching exams and still continues to be one of the coaches at NCA. Remember the selection of Masqoud Rana for the ODI series in Australia under Imran? Currently one of their other thieving brothers/incompetent is the General Manager for Domestic cricket.
Time to get rid of this family from Pak cricket once and for all.

ranay pay rana .. rana . o ji ji ji ji rana. 15 lac say wahab ko hai khilana. pcb ko loot kay hai khana, chahay dunya jo kar lay hooooooo

So effectively he has got his money back now and more so

Shocking and disgraceful, it's stuff like this when you have to question why you support Pakistan.

Everyone knows who this player is and I came to know about it years ago when I went to the wedding of the sister of that cricketer

Back