PM Shehbaz Sharif orders immediate restoration of Wikipedia across Pakistan

ex-q-zit

First Class Star
Runs
Pakistan has threatened to ban Wikipedia if it does not remove "blasphemous content" from its website by Friday, the latest censorship warning in the deeply conservative country.

Social media giants Facebook and YouTube have been blocked in the past over content deemed blasphemous, a hugely sensitive issue in Muslim-majority Pakistan.

The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) on Wednesday said the website had until late Friday to heed the warning, without elaborating on the content in question.

In the meantime, Wikipedia would be "degraded", disrupting and slowing access to the free online encyclopedia, which gets billions of views each month.

"Given the intentional failure on part of the platform to comply with the directions of PTA, the services of Wikipedia have been degraded for 48 hours with the direction to block/remove the reported contents," the notice said.

"In case of non-compliance by Wikipedia the platform will be blocked within Pakistan."

The website has previously faced restrictions on some of its pages.

Freedom of speech advocates have long criticised what they say is creeping government censorship and control of Pakistan's internet and printed and electronic media.

"The ban is disproportionate, unconstitutional, and quite ridiculous," said Usama Khilji, a digital rights activist.

"This will impact students, academia, the healthcare sector, researchers, and downgrade investor confidence in Pakistan due to the uncertainty and arbitrariness of censorship," he added.

Wikipedia did not immediately respond to a request for comment from AFP.

Pakistan blocked YouTube from 2012 to 2016 after it carried a film about the Prophet Mohammed that led to violent protests across the Muslim world.

In recent years, the country has also blocked the wildly popular video-sharing app TikTok several times over "indecent" and "immoral" content.

NDTV

Pakistan needs to get its priorities right. Stop wasting time on these stupid things

Wiki can be edited by almost anyone.

It really isnt a good tool for students, as nothing on there can 100% verified as being accurate.

It should be just ignored.

I agree. It is highly overrated.

It may not be the most appropriate for high level academic research but is generally considered authoritative and credible for general research.

I think its quite handy as a free resource especially if you want to research named entities and knowledge terms.

It may not be the most appropriate for high level academic research but is generally considered authoritative and credible for general research.

I think its quite handy as a free resource especially if you want to research named entities and knowledge terms.

Yes its handy for a quick search but the issue is students shouldnt use this as a tool for research at all. Many of the topics are altered to fit a certain narrative and there is huge infor missing.

Many dont understand this and its funny when they use wiki in a debate thinking its the gospal of information. I dont think the Pakistani chap who is upset realises this.

Surely if academics are relying on Wikipedia then they'll be ratifying the information unless they're chancers

Pakistan is the most insecure nation on this planet. When half of the country is under water and the other half is dying in riots over food, the government is busy monitoring the internet. Pathetic! Back in 2010, the government banned Youtube for 6/7 years as someone uploaded an anti-Islam movie. Just imagine the amount of knowledge Pakistanis missed out from YT during 6/7 years.

‘Banning a website over a website is like burning a whole library because you don’t like a book,’ Aitzaz Ahsan.

It's funny for me as an outsider. What the issues plaguing Pakistan are, what the priority of the country is.

Pakistanis and Blashphemy go hand in hand.

Their country is just about finished but they still sticking the head in the sand over something that has zero value.

Well done, shabash, great job and keep up the wonderful work 👏 👍

What a joke of a country.

Feel bad for the students.. wiki is a great resource for students in the whole world.

Wiki is a very much reliable site as it provides refrence for every sentence it has written and it has got moderators that look after the website.

Alot of hate for wiki exists, but thats because people dont understand how it works.

The education of thia country is a joke, and by banning an encyclopedia they achieve what?

PDM trying to assemble some support. It is a stupid decision.

This is a collective issue. Its not just pmln centric. Pmln, ppp and pti all have been involved in getting such stupid rules passed

Wiki can be edited by almost anyone.

It really isnt a good tool for students, as nothing on there can 100% verified as being accurate.

It should be just ignored.

You are right about wiki being edited by anyone, but if you are to edit any sentence a refrence is required. Thus, the mods of wiki really do take good care of keeping the proper info intact.

Almost every sentence is refrences back and if a student wants to use a sentence from wiki, he can first check the sentence refrence and use that refrence instead of wiki.

I am note sure why we are so good at own goals!?

Wikipedia ka “server” tan se juda ho gaya.

Wikipedia moderators are very biased and usually politically driven and trust me they hate Hindus too before someone plays the usual RSS/BJP saazish. However banning a very useful resource is extreme and foolish.

There is a phrase that has always stuck in my mind when I read it years ago from the Pakistani historian Ayesha Jalal. She described the transformation of Pakistan into a "veritable intellectual wasteland."

Certainly the power of critical thinking and, even more importantly, the wonderfulness of curiosity and knowledge, representing something more than just impression, seems to be lost on many in Pakistan.

Sadly Pakistan has turned into a banana republic and making these sort of decisions typifies that.

The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) has banned popular online encyclopedia Wikipedia in the country for not “blocking/removing sacrilegious content” within the 48-hour deadline given to the website, a spokesperson confirmed on Saturday.

Wikipedia is a free, crowdsourced, editable online encyclopedia often used as a starting point by millions across the world for basic information.

The PTA had on Wednesday degraded Wikipedia services countrywide for not complying with the directives for the removal of controversial content from the website.

Many students rely on Wikipedia as a source of free knowledge. Depriving them of this resource limits their opportunities to develop.

We then wonder why Pakistan is a failed state with the wrong priorities.

How about banning entire internet?

That way blasphemous content will be harder to read.

No wonder Pakistan is a failed state and such a laughing stock for the rest of the world. Embarrassing country.

Many students rely on Wikipedia as a source of free knowledge. Depriving them of this resource limits their opportunities to develop.

We then wonder why Pakistan is a failed state with the wrong priorities.

We have this very progressive foreign minister, why can't he take a stand on these things?

We have this very progressive foreign minister, why can't he take a stand on these things?

I agree PDM and other political parties are also culpable.

Even though I'm an ex-PTI supporter, one thing I liked about PTI was that Fawad Chaudhry was against the PUBG ban and he made his feelings loud and clear about it. I'm sure if he was still the current Federal minister for Science and Technology he would also oppose this.

The problem is Pakistan is desperate to show off their religiosity to the rest of the "Ummah" but the reality is not many of the Muslim states buy into their religious image.

How about banning entire internet?

That way blasphemous content will be harder to read.

It's heading that way. Just a matter of time.

Whilst the rest of the world is trying to pick up the advances in AI technology, Pakistan is spending their time on working out which pages to block out next.

It's heading that way. Just a matter of time.

Whilst the rest of the world is trying to pick up the advances in AI technology, Pakistan is spending their time on working out which pages to block out next.

Hopefully, it won't ever come to that.

Most of the times when you see something like this in any country, it's mostly to do with politicians catering to a small but a vocal subsection of population. Some time to gather that extra vote and some time to simply distract from real major issues.

I am very sure that in Pakistan, majority of population won't support ban on wiki for something like this.

You are right about wiki being edited by anyone, but if you are to edit any sentence a refrence is required. Thus, the mods of wiki really do take good care of keeping the proper info intact.

Almost every sentence is refrences back and if a student wants to use a sentence from wiki, he can first check the sentence refrence and use that refrence instead of wiki.

You think I didnt know this. lol

I wouldnt advise anyone to use wiki as a source to debate or to learn detailed information on any subject, as much of it is simply not true. You can check the source but there are usually multiple sources one must find to confirm facts.

What a joke of a country.

Feel bad for the students.. wiki is a great resource for students in the whole world.

Lol. Wiki is not accepted as an academic reference in educational institutions in civilized countries.

Maybe in ppp and pmln run ghost schools such ''sources'' are accepted and used by the likes of you.

Lol. Wiki is not accepted as an academic reference in educational institutions in civilized countries.

Maybe in ppp and pmln run ghost schools such ''sources'' are accepted and used by the likes of you.

:))

Yep, for Zardari and Miryam wiki is their bible. No wonder their supporters arent any brighter than they are .

Indeed.

When I was in university (in Canada), I would get marks deducted if I used Wikipedia as a source. I had to use more authentic sources.

Wikipedia is not considered as a valid source in North American institutions; definitely not for higher education. I don't know about subcontinent.

Last edited:
People are making excuses here. The point the government should have better things to do than Wikipedia

You think I didnt know this. lol

I wouldnt advise anyone to use wiki as a source to debate or to learn detailed information on any subject, as much of it is simply not true. You can check the source but there are usually multiple sources one must find to confirm facts.

Wiki is still and encyclopedia. A non football fan wants to know who won the the top awards in Fifa, he doesnt need to visit other websites, go to Wiki and it classifies all the information..

WIkipedia is a source where all the information is classified easily. Plus, any information you pick from Wikipedia, they have a source attached to it which can be linked to the informaiton.

Just because teachers of 2000s say that wiki was not authentic, the students also picked up on this and say the same to the next generation.

Every sentence on wiki has a source linking that information, and when writing a report, if the source link is good enough, you can use that source

More stories than facts .

exactly.

Lot of this propaganda against wikipedia comes started from the 2000s. I agree at that time the moderation of wikipedia was not as good, but after 2010, they have started to fund wikipedia where they have bots and people checking each source. Every sentence that is used on wikipedia has a source linking to it and the bots check if the source is authentic or not.

Thing is, students of the 2000s heard this from there teachers and than they say this to the next generation of students. I also use to believes this until i started checking the sources that each sentence had at the end. For example, if Babar Azam won the cricketer of the year award in 2022, wikipedia will mention that and source it properly.

Indeed.

When I was in university (in Canada), I would get marks deducted if I used Wikipedia as a source. I had to use more authentic sources.

Wikipedia is not considered as a valid source in North American institutions; definitely not for higher education. I don't know about subcontinent.

LOL you used wikipdia as a source?

You dont use wikipedia as a source. You curate the information there, than you see the source of that sentence written on wikipedia.

For example, Babar Azam won the icc cricketer of the year, The article that talks about this have a source at the end of the first paragraph as [1]. You are suppose to use that as a link.

Wikipedia itself is like a forum, like how Pakpassion is. But when someone post some news here you dont refer pakpassion in your assignments, you use that source that was mentioned.

WIkipedia curates all info at one place, thats the advantage it has for students.

LOL you used wikipdia as a source?

You dont use wikipedia as a source. You curate the information there, than you see the source of that sentence written on wikipedia.

For example, Babar Azam won the icc cricketer of the year, The article that talks about this have a source at the end of the first paragraph as [1]. You are suppose to use that as a link.

Wikipedia itself is like a forum, like how Pakpassion is. But when someone post some news here you dont refer pakpassion in your assignments, you use that source that was mentioned.

WIkipedia curates all info at one place, thats the advantage it has for students.

You can find those sources from other places. For example, we could find those from our college library website. We could find those from Google or various reputable websites. There was no need for Wikipedia.

Last edited:
There is a phrase that has always stuck in my mind when I read it years ago from the Pakistani historian Ayesha Jalal. She described the transformation of Pakistan into a "veritable intellectual wasteland."

Certainly the power of critical thinking and, even more importantly, the wonderfulness of curiosity and knowledge, representing something more than just impression, seems to be lost on many in Pakistan.

My family elders have been saying the same thing for many years.

They studied in educational institutions in the 60's and 70's. The future seemed so bright and they were full of optimism.

The Zia era was the turning point in Pakistan and perhaps the death knell.

It is a wonderful resource for students and learners to get a quick and easily accessible insight into a subject.

For a poor country like Pakistan it is a good resource for people.

You can find those sources from other places. For example, we could find those from our college library website. We could find those from Google or various reputable websites. There was no need for Wikipedia.

I have seen you use Wikipedia on PP many times :))

PP is for fun. Not for anything academic. LOL.

I guess it is okay to use Wiki for fun purposes.

BTW, I am not anti-Wikipedia. I am just saying students can get those same sources from Google, library sites etc.

So this sacrilege stuff has been exposed as a pack of lies. Its Bajwa and the Juntas exposure as murderous thugs is that is the problem. So they are apparently consider themselves as religious figures.

Watch from 3.50

I was thinking the same as well which is why I found it funny that he goes out and calls it "overrated". A fine example of the keyboard being too fast for the brain.

I was thinking the same as well which is why I found it funny that he goes out and calls it "overrated". A fine example of the keyboard being too fast for the brain.

It is overrated even though I do not propose banning it.

If you want authentic sources, there are far better options.

Last edited:
It is overrated even though I do not propose banning it.

If you want authentic sources, there are far better options.

Okay it's overrated according to you but can you care to explain as to why you're the number 1 when it comes to sharing Wikipedia sources out of all the posters I've come across on here over the last 5 years?

Okay it's overrated according to you but can you care to explain as to why you're the number 1 when it comes to sharing Wikipedia sources out of all the posters I've come across on here over the last 5 years?

I sometimes use Wikipedia here but not always. I believe most of my sources have been non-Wikipedia ones. You are free to go through my 26,322 posts.

Like one poster said, it’s better to ban the entire Internet if Wikipedia is deemed a threat. What can you not find on the internet, it can’t be controlled unless you have the resources and absolute autocratic authority as in case of China.

you still not understanding the point. Wiki saves you time, they classify all the information as they are a encyclopedia.

If i want to know about renewable energy, it will take me long time to brown IRENA's wbesite, when wiki classifies all the countries renewable energy under the same heading.

bro everyone uses wiki. And alot of them will pretend here and bash it just because bashing wikipedia is a thing.....

Wiki is still and encyclopedia. A non football fan wants to know who won the the top awards in Fifa, he doesnt need to visit other websites, go to Wiki and it classifies all the information..

WIkipedia is a source where all the information is classified easily. Plus, any information you pick from Wikipedia, they have a source attached to it which can be linked to the informaiton.

Just because teachers of 2000s say that wiki was not authentic, the students also picked up on this and say the same to the next generation.

Every sentence on wiki has a source linking that information, and when writing a report, if the source link is good enough, you can use that source

Wiki is only good for a quick search for basic info which cant be disuputed.

You wrote "great resource for students in the whole world." lol. Maybe for your school but the world doesnt see it this way.

Islam is a sensitive issue in Pakistan. They have the right to ban any website that they deem is blasphemous for their beliefs. There are tons of other websites where people can get their information from.

Youtube also have tons of channels where regular blasphemy happens for all religions. In fact all social media websites have thousands of such channels. I wonder if Pakistan bans them too.

Wiki is only good for a quick search for basic info which cant be disuputed.

You wrote "great resource for students in the whole world." lol. Maybe for your school but the world doesnt see it this way.
it is a great resource for students, and you can lol all you want to it, but it doesnt change the fact.

Wiki has changed and improved alot. They even have discussions going on in the back end to debate which refrence is relevent where.

The point is Pakistan has bigger fish to fry. Should not waste time on these frivolous things

bro everyone uses wiki. And alot of them will pretend here and bash it just because bashing wikipedia is a thing.....

Honestly, none of them have a shred of credibility. They see a ruling that is religiously motivated and blindly follow it.

They've gone from being regular users of Wikipedia to bashing it overnight all because of a bunch of ignorant molvis in Pakistan.

Till last week Wikipedia was the best thing ever. Sheep mentality

Why they don't also ban Google aswell and just make the country another north Korea?

Honestly, none of them have a shred of credibility. They see a ruling that is religiously motivated and blindly follow it.

They've gone from being regular users of Wikipedia to bashing it overnight all because of a bunch of ignorant molvis in Pakistan.

Exactly. They dont even know how wikipedia works. Just heard someone say something and decided to believe it.

Wikipedia is nothing complex that one wouldn't understand. LOL.

it is actually. Alot of you guys bash wikipedia what you see at front. You dont even know about the refrences [1] [2] [3] that contains a link against each sentence.

Every topic has a discussion going on in the back end where they discuss which source and link to use, which would give more authenticity to the article

it is actually. Alot of you guys bash wikipedia what you see at front. You dont even know about the refrences [1] [2] [3] that contains a link against each sentence.

Every topic has a discussion going on in the back end where they discuss which source and link to use, which would give more authenticity to the article

I know those things. That section is at the bottom. This is common knowledge.

But, for academic projects, it is better to use more authentic sources (college library website, for example). Wiki doesn't always have great links.

Wiki is good if you just want to check things out for fun.

Last edited:
I know those things. That section is at the bottom. This is common knowledge.

But, for academic projects, it is better to use more authentic sources (college library website, for example). Wiki doesn't always have great links.

Wiki is good if you just want to check things out for fun.

again, have you ever checked a wiki reference? They often do use the most authentic ones against each sentence.

again, have you ever checked a wiki reference? They often do use the most authentic ones against each sentence.

LOL. I have checked. Those links are often junk. Definitely not "most authentic".

Check our local public library website: https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/. This is what an authentic source looks like.

It is much better to use library sources or academic search engines than something like Wikipedia (for academic projects).

Last edited:
LOL. I have checked. Those links are often junk. Definitely not "most authentic".

Check our local public library website: https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/. This is what an authentic source looks like.

It is much better to use library sources or academic search engines than something like Wikipedia (for academic projects).

have you? Because earlier in the thread you said you used to reference Wikipedia directly.

I would advice you to check again, as 80% of the links are good references

have you? Because earlier in the thread you said you used to reference Wikipedia directly.

I would advice you to check again, as 80% of the links are good references

No. I didn't say I used to do that. What I said was we were not allowed to do that. Looks like you misinterpreted my post.

Last edited:
Indeed.

[MENTION=141306]sweep_shot[/MENTION]

The most hilarious aspect in all of this are the wannabes who are desperate to migrate to the West are the most vocal of the news in the OP.

In the West, people are cancelled/banned from Social Media, websites are blocked from the internet, Search engines and Social media platforms are ordered by court to remove information, and website owners are arrested and sometimes jailed - all because they do not support the Western narrative or values.

India, China, ME, Europe, and Amreeka all censor/ban information, but when Pakistan does it, it is time to pull out the Hail Mary routine.

India, China, ME, Europe, and Amreeka all censor/ban information, but when Pakistan does it, it is time to pull out the Hail Mary routine.

I assume by this post you support Pakistan's move to ban Wikipedia. Which is the sacrilegous bit that you were offfended by ?

[MENTION=141306]sweep_shot[/MENTION]

I would get marks deducted if I used Wikipedia as a source. --> Did you not understand this sentence?

It doesn't mean I added Wikipedia as a source. What I meant was it was not allowed.

Either way, I had access to great quality academic search engines. I didn't have any reason to resort to Wikipedia.

Last edited:
Oh, you're not offended but you still blindly support Pakistan's move to ban Wikipedia ?

Nice web of words.

My point was clear, why do people like you have an issue with Pakistan controlling information within its sovereign borders, when your nation, India was hell bent on banning the likes of Twitter? Or when Israel send court orders to Google to remove information on the Holocaust? Or when UK send court orders to ISPs to remove websites?

What ever criticism you hurl towards Pakistan in this case, make sure you hurl the same criticism to other countries censoring information within their sovereign borders.

Nice web of words.

My point was clear, why do people like you have an issue with Pakistan controlling information within its sovereign borders, when your nation, India was hell bent on banning the likes of Twitter? Or when Israel send court orders to Google to remove information on the Holocaust? Or when UK send court orders to ISPs to remove websites?

What ever criticism you hurl towards Pakistan in this case, make sure you hurl the same criticism to other countries censoring information within their sovereign borders.

These Indians and liberals are trying hard to show that we "blindly follow molvis". But, that's not the case really.

Nice web of words.

says the guy who has an issue with who the locals vote for ad choose their pm

I would get marks deducted if I used Wikipedia as a source. --> Did you not understand this sentence?

It doesn't mean I added Wikipedia as a source. What I meant was it was not allowed.

Either way, I had access to great quality academic search engines. I didn't have any reason to resort to Wikipedia.

You wrote I would. Maybe use a verb

These Indians and liberals are trying hard to show that we "blindly follow molvis". But, that's not the case really.

I find it ironic.

Liberals champion freedom of speech/expression, but then resort to cancel/banning/censorship culture when the narrative doesn't suit them.

Indians champion secularism, but then resort to banning culture when the narrative questions and exposes Hindutva etc.

Pakistan champions an Islamic republic, wants to control information in Pakistan that is insulting Islam, and hey presto, Pakistan is the villain!

You could not make it up.

:)))

Nice web of words.

I don't know why you're avoiding my question and deflecting to other countries.

Do you agree with Pakistan's move to ban the world's biggest, most popular encyclopedia? The most widely available repository of knowledge known to man.

Back