PSL 9 unpicked players discussion

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Absence of Ahmed Shahzad, Umar Akmal, Sharjeel Khan, and Haider Ali from the PSL 2024 lineup has undoubtedly sparked debates and discussions among cricket enthusiasts. As the tournament draft finalized attention will be on how the chosen squads perform and whether the unpicked players' absence is felt by their respective franchises.

Which other players do you think were unfortunate not to be selected for PSL 9?

I would argue that all the picks are fair…

But explain one thing to me, how is Sharjeel Khan not a better T20 opener and batsman than Shan Masood??

Some more local players, such as Danish Aziz, Mubasir Khan, and Mohammad Huraira and international ones such as Rahmanullah Gurbaz, Ashton Agar, Dasun Shanaka, Ben Duckett, Mujeeb ur Rahman, and Maheesh Theekshana all remained unpicked.

But explain one thing to me, how is Sharjeel Khan not a better T20 opener and batsman than Shan Masood??
Told you other teams would be reluctant to pick him. Only Quetta, who picked up Amir, but they didn’t end up bidding.

On merit he definitely deserved to be picked. Wasn’t exactly in terrible form in domestic lately either.

Think Karachi wanted to let him go to have a fresh start at a clean image.

On merit he definitely deserved to be picked. Just with his talent alone, he’s a good option to have in the squad.

Some more local players, such as Danish Aziz, Mubasir Khan, and Mohammad Huraira and international ones such as Rahmanullah Gurbaz, Ashton Agar, Dasun Shanaka, Ben Duckett, Mujeeb ur Rahman, and Maheesh Theekshana all remained unpicked.
If someone as good Ben Ducket and Mujeeb aren't picked there must be some real superstars in the tournament

Mubashir has good backwards, hands are too low and looks a shadow of the player from 2 years ago. Hurraaira needs to hit the gym and also work on his back foot play through the on side

its not about being better or worse, its obvious sharjeel is not the fittest, has a dodgy record when it comes to fixing, had a pretty poor psl last time around, even if he can play one or two match winning innings, managing him within a squad, when you are trying to develop some kind of positive work ethic would be very difficult. sharjeel had everything going for him, but threw it away. cant blame anyone else all these years later.

They definitely need 2 more teams to accommodate deserving local players but so happy that crybabies like shehzad and UA arent picked.

Mubasir, Zafar, Israrullah, Husain Talat, Amad Butt, Amir Yamin, Umar Amin, Huraira, Shehzad, Rohail, all went unsold
From the foreign category, Gurbaz, Theekshana, Tim David, Joe Clarke, Nabi etc are missing.
Think a few of the foreign names will prefer playing for BPL than PSL.

Feeling bad for Ahmed shahzad after piling up runs in national t20 cup he is still not selected.

HAhhaha loved it that he has not bee picked.

Great to see sharjeel better than Babar and rizwan not even selected. His level is Sindh league. About time franchises stop picking an unfit hack. Now his fans can find someone else.

A bit of a setback for Shahzad? ? Rejected the T10 offer to focus on his NT20 performance and now not picked for PSL or most likely not for national team either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gurbaz is the most surprising. I expected him to be the first overall pick in the draft.

Sharjeel was not a surprising exclusion at all.

Most people realise that a fat, overweight, aging hack cannot withstand a decent level of bowling.

I would be embarrassed to think someone in his position can slay Starc and Bumrah at international level…the idea would be laughable if it wasn’t so sad.

The funny thing was that he got so badly exposed at last years PSL but somehow he still had supporters this year. Sorry to say but you have to have close to zero cricket knowledge for that to make any sense at all.

The reality remains. Sharjeel will never play for Pakistan ever again.

Gurbaz and Theekshana will leave for IPL so it makes sense not to pick them.

Thia year IPL is likely to start around 2nd or 3rd week of March. Players not on national duty usually report to their teams a week or 10 days earlier.

Same may the case with other IPL picks.

Selections in Pakistan are almost always driven by optics, nepotism and in some rare cases ignorance. So any attempt at rationalizing these decisions are bound to disappoint.

So looks like nepotism and regionalism continues to reign supreme.

No Sharjeel, no Danish, no Mir Hamza, no Ammad Alam

Really disapointing especially from Salman Iqbal and Nadeem Omar

So looks like nepotism and regionalism continues to reign supreme.

No Sharjeel, no Danish, no Mir Hamza, no Ammad Alam

Really disapointing especially from Salman Iqbal and Nadeem Omar
You can blame Haider Azhar for the nonsense at KK

Sharjeel was not a surprising exclusion at all.

Most people realise that a fat, overweight, aging hack cannot withstand a decent level of bowling.

I would be embarrassed to think someone in his position can slay Starc and Bumrah at international level…the idea would be laughable if it wasn’t so sad.

The funny thing was that he got so badly exposed at last years PSL but somehow he still had supporters this year. Sorry to say but you have to have close to zero cricket knowledge for that to make any sense at all.

The reality remains. Sharjeel will never play for Pakistan ever again.

He also got exposed at last years BPL.

Not good that no one picked Ahmed Shehzad. He was phenomenal in the recent National T20 Cup 2023.

Not good that no one picked Ahmed Shehzad. He was phenomenal in the recent National T20 Cup 2023.
He wasn’t better than those that got picked ahead of him.

Shahzad looked good in the first group round against the weaker sides, but then we saw the old Shahzad that was dropped from the national side in the super 8s. He was terrible in his last 3-4 games when Lahore whites needed him to step up.

Phenomenal? Among the Top 8 openers, he had the lowest BPB, 3rd lowest SR. And 4 fifties which he scored were against debutants. 15 out of 23 bowlers were debutants. Shabizada Farhan outperformed him. Highest SR, Highest BPB, Highest BASRA

1702559686099.png

As a player said to me recently "if you are not friends with the captain or senior players of a franchise, then your agent or manager has to be good friends with the owners"

Duckett is a massive player. I am surprised.

It's a slap on the face of our system. That a player like Ahmed shehzad does go unsold despite putting a spectacular show in recent national t20 tournament. On top of that he sacrificed a lucrative t10 contract for his country and that's what you get after all these sacrifices. Appal No!!!

It's a slap on the face of our system. That a player like Ahmed shehzad does go unsold despite putting a spectacular show in recent national t20 tournament. On top of that he sacrificed a lucrative t10 contract for his country and that's what you get after all these sacrifices. Appal No!!!

Franchises will do what is best for them and based on their current needs. Ahmed Shehzad was competing against too many individuals.

The following list shows the openers that are picked by the franchises in the draft.

Alex Hales
Colin Munro
Jordan Cox
Shan Masood
James Vince
Fakhar Zaman
Sahibzada Farhan
Babar Azam
Saim Ayub
Mohammad Haris
Jason Roy
Will Smeed
Dawid Malan
Reeza Hendricks
Jordan Cox
Mohammad Rizwan

Do you truly believe that Ahmad Shahzad is better than any of them? I still don't understand Shahzad's spectacular performance in the National T20. He had the worst Balls per Boundary Ratio and a below-average Strike Rate. He scored fifties against debutants who were playing professional cricket for the first time, facing 15 out of 23 bowlers in those four fifties.

The following list shows the openers that are picked by the franchises in the draft.

Alex Hales
Colin Munro
Jordan Cox
Shan Masood
James Vince
Fakhar Zaman
Sahibzada Farhan
Babar Azam
Saim Ayub
Mohammad Haris
Jason Roy
Will Smeed
Dawid Malan
Reeza Hendricks
Jordan Cox
Mohammad Rizwan

Do you truly believe that Ahmad Shahzad is better than any of them? I still don't understand Shahzad's spectacular performance in the National T20. He had the worst Balls per Boundary Ratio and a below-average Strike Rate. He scored fifties against debutants who were playing professional cricket for the first time, facing 15 out of 23 bowlers in those four fifties.

Sharjeel is atleast a match winner when he clicks, he has many great performances in the PSL for Karachi Kings and Islamabad United but he went unpicked this season.

To
Sharjeel is atleast a match winner when he clicks, he has many great performances in the PSL for Karachi Kings and Islamabad United but he went unpicked this season.
Totally incomprehensible!

He was struggling last season. KK has hired a new think tank to help rebuild its team. The reason they released Imad, Amir, Sahrjeel etc. IU would have never picked him again after what he did in 2017. The other teams already had a local opener, so they preferred a foreign one. Sharjeel should have focused on his fitness and shown dedication to making a comeback, instead of indulging in Sindhi Biryani and Shawarmas. Sharjeel Last season:

OversInningsRunsBallsOutsAvgSRHS501004s6sDot %
01-0676057610.0105.328007357.9
07-11161116.054.56000054.5
Total 8 66 68 7 9.4 97.12800 7 3 57.4

As a player said to me recently "if you are not friends with the captain or senior players of a franchise, then your agent or manager has to be good friends with the owners"
I smell soar grapes Saj.

PSL is business and you make the cut if you are good enough.

What was so spectacular about his show in the NT20? It was decent yes but nothing spectacular.

Also how was him turning down a T10 contract ( allegedly) a sacrifice.

Lahore Qalandars have taken it to the next level by picking random guys off the streets in the name of PDP. Some of these guys have not played any FC or List A cricket. So if any franchise wants, they could sign their own kids, nephews or family friends and let them share the dressing room with the rest of the international stars

I am surprised at some of the foreign names not being selected but it could be due to availability issues. It's hard to know for sure.

For domestic players, its no surprise. Shehzad/Akmal/Sharjeel/Haider are extremely mediocre and didn't deserve to be selected anyways.

I am surprised at some of the foreign names not being selected but it could be due to availability issues. It's hard to know for sure.

For domestic players, its no surprise. Shehzad/Akmal/Sharjeel/Haider are extremely mediocre and didn't deserve to be selected anyways.

I would agree on that Akmal has lost his form due to long breaks in between cricket after his 2 year ban fitness slower reflexes Haider has gone backwards and Shehzad and Sharjeel have been more miss than hit in PSL.

These are the facts though when you compare strike rates in T20 World Cups:

Sharjeel : 143

Umar Akmal : 132

Shehzad : 126

Babar : 114

Amazing Babar has a much worse strike compared to the so called mediocre players he definitely should not be opening for Pakistan in T20s next year time to let a younger player have a go.

I would agree on that Akmal has lost his form due to long breaks in between cricket after his 2 year ban fitness slower reflexes Haider has gone backwards and Shehzad and Sharjeel have been more miss than hit in PSL.

These are the facts though when you compare strike rates in T20 World Cups:

Sharjeel : 143

Umar Akmal : 132

Shehzad : 126

Babar : 114

Amazing Babar has a much worse strike compared to the so called mediocre players he definitely should not be opening for Pakistan in T20s next year time to let a younger player have a go.
And Babar has miles better average,SR and is light years ahead of Umar akmal in batting. This thread is about player not selected in PSL. Babar Azam is and is the captain while Umar akmal will be sitting at home.

And Babar has miles better average,SR and is light years ahead of Umar akmal in batting. This thread is about player not selected in PSL. Babar Azam is and is the captain while Umar akmal will be sitting at home.

No he doesn’t similar average but much worse strike rate in T20 world cups where teams are at full strength and no easy runs against B teams on flat wickets.

If anything Babar will be exposed more and more in the PSL in the future as he gets older there are definitely better openers than him out there.

No he doesn’t similar average but much worse strike rate in T20 world cups where teams are at full strength and no easy runs against B teams on flat wickets.

If anything Babar will be exposed more and more in the PSL in the future as he gets older there are definitely better openers than him out there.
We are talking about Psl this thread is about Psl not world cup. Babar last year alone got more centuries than akmal did in his whole career. Umar akmal is a failed cricketer. At the age of 33 Babar will be dominating Psl while Umar akmal is not getting picked in a league like Psl.

I think we can understand why Umar Akmal, Sharjeel Khan, and Haider Ali were not picked but I am shocked that no franchise picked Ahmed Shahzad who performed really well in the recent National T20 Cup. He rejected his contract for the T10 and preferred his local league where he performed really well and he deserved to be picked to play in the upcoming PSL.

I think we can understand why Umar Akmal, Sharjeel Khan, and Haider Ali were not picked but I am shocked that no franchise picked Ahmed Shahzad who performed really well in the recent National T20 Cup. He rejected his contract for the T10 and preferred his local league where he performed really well and he deserved to be picked to play in the upcoming PSL.
How could you understand Sharjeel was not picked? He is still the best white ball attacking opener in Pakistan after Fakhar.

How could you understand Sharjeel was not picked? He is still the best white ball attacking opener in Pakistan after Fakhar.
Fair enough not to be picked in PSL..... no fitness, no performance at all. On what basis should he get selected?

How was he one of the best openers in the 50 over tournament if he has no performances?
I do accept that he was one of the best attacking openers for Pakistan but now he has lost the plot.

Not good enough to be a part of any franchise maybe his time and weight both are over now.

Last edited:
Pakistan has too many good openers for t20 cricket but not enough middle order talent. And that’s why a lot of performers who miss out on being picked in PSL are also openers. That’s also why Umar Akmal got such an extended run in the league and Ahmed Shahzad didn’t.

Absence of Ahmed Shahzad, Umar Akmal, Sharjeel Khan, and Haider Ali from the PSL 2024 lineup has undoubtedly sparked debates and discussions among cricket enthusiasts. As the tournament draft finalized attention will be on how the chosen squads perform and whether the unpicked players' absence is felt by their respective franchises.

Rahmanullah Gurbaz,Ashton Agar,Dasun Shanka,Ben Ducket,Mujeeb ur rehman,Theekshana

the PSL draft's surprising turn extended beyond local players, as renowned international stars such as Rahmanullah Gurbaz, Ashton Agar, Dasun Shanaka, Ben Duckett, Mujeeb ur Rahman, and Maheesh Theekshana remained unpicked

Mubasir, Zafar, Israrullah, Husain Talat, Amad Butt, Amir Yamin, Umar Amin, Huraira, Shehzad, Rohail, all went unsold
From the foreign category, Gurbaz, Theekshana, Tim David, Joe Clarke, Nabi etc are missing.
Think a few of the foreign names will prefer playing for BPL than PSL.
Really disappointed that Tim Davis isn't playing, he was a very good draw.

Haider Ali must have really underperformed for a while now not to be picked. What a waste of ability.

Haider Ali must have really underperformed for a while now not to be picked. What a waste of ability.
He’s been saved by the Dosti Yari group. Islamabad United picked him in the replacement draft

Really disappointed that Tim Davis isn't playing, he was a very good draw.
Tim David, Harry Brooke, Russell, Jordan, Lynn, KP, BMac, Steyn etc all used to play regularly in PSL at one stage. The foreign player pool's quality continues to decline.

Tim David, Harry Brooke, Russell, Jordan, Lynn, KP, BMac, Steyn etc all used to play regularly in PSL at one stage. The foreign player pool's quality continues to decline.
Yep the high standards of PSL are missing this season.

He is a waste indeed, thats what happens when you play non stop low level T20 cricket 24/7.
Do these guys even play 4 day cricket in Pakistan?

Can’t believe there’s people crying over exclusion of dot ball king Ahmed Shehzad.

Pick any series he’s played for Pakistan since his debut… and you’ll realize play style wise why he doesn’t play anymore.

Can’t believe there’s people crying over exclusion of dot ball king Ahmed Shehzad.

Pick any series he’s played for Pakistan since his debut… and you’ll realize play style wise why he doesn’t play anymore.
His strike rate in recent BPL was good.

He’s been saved by the Dosti Yari group. Islamabad United picked him in the replacement draft

Well I am kind of glad. Even if his shot selection is truly abysmal, I do like his clean hitting ability when he can actually manage to avoid the fielders in the deep. Which is not that often I admit.

Well I am kind of glad. Even if his shot selection is truly abysmal, I do like his clean hitting ability when he can actually manage to avoid the fielders in the deep. Which is not that often I admit.
Don't expect anything special from him this PSL.

His recent form is awesome... we can't keep him out just based on his past.

If anyone is doing well he must be given the priority.

His recent form is awesome... we can't keep him out just based on his past.

If anyone is doing well he must be given the priority.
If he is still making the same mistakes, then no need.

He has been plundering BPL, PSL, Sri Lankan league bowlers for years now. Even before he was dropped.

Some players can’t be successful beyond leagues, just how it is.

Ahmed failed in the last few games of BPL. He doing fine in the start but has a lot of problems in his behaviour that needed to be sorted out else he will go unpicked everywhere.

As usual idiotic selection from Pakistan to leave out Duckett who is hitting it clean in international let alone Mickey Mouse cricket.

As usual idiotic selection from Pakistan to leave out Duckett who is hitting it clean in international let alone Mickey Mouse cricket.
Yeah, he is in some form and the franchises have missed a worthy guy here.

Please someone explain

He is be
He is better but Shan had a better season than Sharjeel last psl if am correct
What does it mean to have a better PSL? He is 3 times the player Shan is…it’s plain stupidity to have players like Shan playing but Sharjeel not getting picked

Chairman Naqvi sab talks about merit and fairness

Where is the merit when players like Shan Masood are picked, that too as captain ahead of guys like Sharjeel, Shahzad?!)

Chairman Naqvi sab talks about merit and fairness

Where is the merit when players like Shan Masood are picked, that too as captain ahead of guys like Sharjeel, Shahzad?!)
Before answering this question, Chairman sahab should be asked if there is any logic behind having a Test captain who averages 28 after 33 Tests.

Before answering this question, Chairman sahab should be asked if there is any logic behind having a Test captain who averages 28 after 33 Tests.
The answer is simple,

The guys averaging 45+ have lead Pakistan to 3-0 home defeats against a non Asian side in home conditions

Back