"PSL is the best tournament when it comes to the standard of bowling" : Phil Salt

Time to move Phil Salt to replace Jason Roy in the England line-up?

Phil Salt will be looking to "take his opportunity with both hands" if he replaces Ben Stokes in England's one-day international middle order.

Stokes announced his retirement from 50-over cricket on Monday with Tuesday's 62-run defeat to South Africa in Durham his 105th and final game in the format.

Salt, the spare batter in the England squad, has opened in each of his six ODIs to date, with the Lancashire man hitting a hundred, against Netherlands earlier this summer, and two fifties.

However, the right-hander has batted in the middle order in his four T20I appearances and believes he can adapt his game if given the nod in the second ODI at Emirates Old Trafford on Friday, live on Sky Sports.

Salt said: "It's very obvious that whenever you get an opportunity to play for England you have to take it with both hands.

"It's my first chance being around it with a full-strength squad and being in the conversation for being in the XI so that's exciting. I have been on the fringes for a while so I want to get in there and show what I can do.

"Netherlands, West Indies, Pakistan - I have proven to people and myself that I can do it. Now it's about going out there and doing it again and I will slot in wherever the opportunity comes.

"I am very aware that the best players in the world can bat anywhere, the ones who can adapt, improvise and find different ways of getting the job done from all situations.

"The skill is reading the scoreboard and conditions and assessing what you need to do - I think it's as simple as that."

Salt opened with Jason Roy during the ODIs in the Netherlands in May due to Jonny Bairstow's Test commitments.

Roy and Bairstow, England's World Cup-winning opening partnership from three years ago, are now reunited and Salt knows it will be tough to break up an alliance that has "changed the way" ODI cricket is played with their aggressive intent at the top of the order.

Salt said: "[Roy and Bairstow] are the best opening partnership in 50-over cricket, there is no doubt about that. Look at the numbers, the way they play, the way they have changed how the game is played.

"A lot of people in international cricket want to copy them and follow how they play. They set the template for how you are going to have to play if you want to play for England.

"Everyone in the country who bats in my position will have seen what they are doing and tried to emulate it, keep pushing the boundaries and taking it further."

England's defeat to South Africa in the series opener at Chester-le-Street means they have now lost three of their last four ODIs - and been bowled out in each of them.

Salt added: "We have lost a couple of senior players and leaders but we still have a lot of senior players and leaders so I don't think too much has changed in terms of how we want to play.

"Losing Stokesy and Morgy does have an impact - they played such vital roles in winning the World Cup - but we have to keep moving forward. We have all the senior players and leaders we need.

The best of the action from the first one-day international between England and South Africa, a game the Proteas won by 62 runs
"I don't think there is any turned-up pressure in the dressing room. We know what we need to do and how good we are.

"It's about getting your chest out, crossing the line and proving it again and again. That is what made this squad world champions."

Sky

England batter Phil Salt believes that playing HBL Pakistan Super League has provided English cricketers with an understanding of conditions in Pakistan and a bit of information on what sort of challenge they would face in the upcoming series against Pakistan.

11 English players have played in HBL PSL since its start in 2016 and Phil Salt is of opinion that the England camp has an idea of how things would be in Pakistan.

“We have conversations around how the surface will play and what certain bowlers do. I'm certainly not alone in playing PSL, a lot of our guys have come out, so there's a little bit of info there. But, obviously, we have to play well,” he said after their first training session in Karachi," said Salt, who has played for Lahore Qalandars and Islamabad United.

England had its first training session at National Stadium in Karachi for almost three hours yesterday. Phil Salt is looking forward to be part of the historic tour as England is playing in the country after almost 17 years.

“The mood in the camp is good. It's something special to be a part of and coming back here in an England shirt, first time in 17 years. So, I think the guys are fully aware of the gravity of that and I'm very proud to be a part of it,” he said.

“It feels good. The boys are excited to be here. We know all about how much fun it is playing cricket in front of the crowds here, a lot of guys have played PSL over here. So, it's something we're looking forward to as a side,” he added.

On the other hand, Salt emphasised that England would have to play well in order to beat Pakistan on their home soil.

“We know that Pakistan are a good side. With the World Cup coming up, every team wants to be putting their best foot forward and hitting a bit of form right now. So, we know that it is Pakistan’s home territory, and we have to play well,” he concluded.

DAWN

When is this guy getting dropped?

He is devaluing England’s white ball batting elitism with his mediocrity!

My only counter would be that Kamran Akmal keeps topping this league. No way a league with the best bowling will allow someone like Kamran top the batting charts

Yes I agree.
To me ,IPL and BBL have no competitor

When is this guy getting dropped?

He is devaluing England’s white ball batting elitism with his mediocrity!

Not that simple. Salt is also the wicketkeeper (and doing quite well in this role) whilst Buttler is injured. He will likely stay in the side until Buttler returns, after which I can envisage the opening batters being Buttler and Hales.

Not that simple. Salt is also the wicketkeeper (and doing quite well in this role) whilst Buttler is injured. He will likely stay in the side until Buttler returns, after which I can envisage the opening batters being Buttler and Hales.

Then I don’t think he should be opening the innings

He can bat at 6-7 before Curran but not giving the opposition an easy breakthrough after consuming some deliveries without much damage. Hales and Malan can open and everyone moves one up the order

Flopped in the PSL and is flopping for England. Never really rated him.

Phil Salt talks about his role in the side as a top-order batter and being helped by his PSL experience

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/lux6w4" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Lahore Qalandars have a world class bowling attack.
Islamabad United second but distant second.
Rest are just about good. Nothing special.

And you are saying this after facing the bowlers in PSL like Salt, I hope?

You shouldn't take one opinion as final. If other foreign players for example Moeen, Butter, Morgan , Pollard who have played in all these 3 leagues says that PSL is the best on basis of quality of the bowlerr I shall agree.

Salt is the real deal!

RRix01q.png

Salt even he scored single digits last two games but looked quite good and today he has turned the game over . Unlike our tullaybaaz Harris Haider even if they score they still look clueless

Atherton: Salt's best innings in England colours; 'He was absolutely brilliant'

"He played brilliantly, and because of it there was kind of an absence of tension there in that second half of the game.

"Throughout this series, we've seen very close matches swinging this way and that, and full of tension, but none of that tonight just because of how well Phil Salt played.

"He played absolutely brilliantly, Alex Hales helped him give England a rapid start, and the game was done really after that opening power play.

"But very nice to see Phil Salt go on unbeaten and finish the game off for his best innings in England colours."

Does Salt think he will start at T20 World Cup?

England opener Phil Salt...

"Alex Hales may have more experience than me. He has played at World Cups which I haven't done as yet and he has a good record in Australia which goes in his favour.

"But as far as I am concerned every time I put an England shirt on I am putting my best foot forward and trying to give the selectors a headache.

"It was good to put in a match-winning performance [on Friday] when we really needed it. "

Phil Salt Wicket:

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/mli36t" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

What a series Phil Salt had against West Indies during which he scored 331 runs to get the Man of the Series award.

Phil Salt was sensational throughout this series against the Windies. Smashing 2 centuries back to back, that too in the T20Is is not everyone's cup of tea. Unfortunate for him that he missed out on a IPL contract.

Phil Salt said he is excited to be a part of the successful franchise, while interacting with local Indian media, he said:

“Feels good. I’m here on quite a short notice but the reception I’ve got from everyone has been exceptional. Also to come here to train at such an iconic venue like the Eden Gardens and be a part of such a successful franchise is exciting."

“I’m really excited. It’s actually the first time I’ve been here (Eden Gardens) and it looks brilliant and I’m sure it’s going to be pretty loud and crazy once the fans fill up on the matchday and I’m really looking forward to it.”

“I hope I provide lots of energy along with quick starts at the top of the order and of course match winning contributions. As a professional cricketer you try to shut out the expectations from outside but the reception I’ve got from fans gives me that extra bit of motivation to make them happy.”

Is he part of this year's PSL?

Last edited by a moderator:
After the early fall of wickets, Phil Salt anchored the innings brilliantly, scoring fifty off 38 balls for KKR against SRH in IPL 2024. By the way, they are all fit for the IPL.

30(20) by phily today against RCB in a match in IPL, still not at his premium best yet.

Quite a revelation for KKR.

Second IPL fifty for Philip Salt off just 26 balls against LSG in IPL 2024.

Phil Salt has become an X factor for KKR in IPL 2024. His 48 off 14 balls was another explosive innings against RCB.

Phil Salt entertained Kolkata with a quick fire 68 off 33 deliveries to make chase easier for his team.

Back