Runs
These were some of the top performers in the 2024 edition:

Hanif Mohammad Cap for Most Runs: Babar Azam

Player of the Tournament: Shadab Khan

Best Batter of the Tournament: Usman Khan

Super all-rounder of the Tournament: Saim Ayub

Wicketkeeper of the Tournament: Azam Khan

=================

Question really is, what is the point of PSL when none of these performers amount to anything good for Pakistan?

Why waste money on this tournament when it is not yielding anything of use for Pakistan?

I wanted to start a similar thread as in has the PSL done more damage then good?

Bar brinfing back international players and this international teams back to Pakistan, it's been downhill...players being selected on PSL performances with hardly any first class cricket exposure...I couldn't even be bothered to watch it this year

International cricket is an entirely different ballgame. Cant select players purely on league performance, selectors need to look at fundamentals and the ability to play on the big stage too

Pakistan's decline in cricket is not about PSL. There are bigger and deeper issues plaguing Pakistan as a whole.
PSL is a little silver line but cannot cure the deeper ills.

Sports leagues in their modern avatar serve the singular purpose of advertising to mass audiences. As long PSL achieves this, it will continue, regardless of the national team's results.

PSL serves no purpose other than bringing cricket into the country and allowing our people to see SOME of the main stars in the international game.

A tournament which awards someone like Azam Khan as 'wicketkeeper of the tournament' says it all.

I love my Cricket but have never sat through a whole PSL game. The quality of cricket on show is clearly sub par and the attempts to sell it as something amazing is cringeworthy.

How have we developed as a cricketing nation since the induction and development of our flagship T20 tournament?

Who are our next coaches?

What innovations have we developed?

The tournament speaks volumes about our ability as a nation to progress. More so the fact that we can't.

Is it even a profitable business? I have no idea.

The problem is that selfishness is inherent in our culture and this is reflected in nepotism and the way that our so called best players are more concerned with themselves rather than the good of the game.

I don't think we should scrap it... it obviously provides value on some level but unless we do something about it then an already broadly irrelevant tournament is going to become a laughing stock.

I hope no one takes offense to this but I have always viewed the PSL as the DHA of Pakistan cricket. It’s meant to feed the pockets of PCB & associated individuals and agents.

there is nothing wrong with picking players from the PSL, just management needs to ensure that they select players based on merit so that talent can be better polished there.

PSL isn’t the problem, playing weaker teams is the biggest issue.

Our captain has taken no steps to improve our cricket team for the future.

Our main players are playing every game, not giving exposure to the youngsters because they’re afraid of being replaced.

Also, the lack of games for Pakistan Shaheens. They should be playing just as many games as the Pakistan team.

PCB isn’t proactive anymore, they’re just hoping that the franchise owners find those rare talents.

Sorry but this is just delusional to blame PSL. If not PSL, will you select from National T20 which is of an even lower standard?

Just take Azam Khan.

Was the darling of PSL.

Went to England. Played 2 T20s. Was out first ball go Archer and then first ball to Wood.

Destroyed. And became a global laughing stock.

Shows how badly out of sync are young Pakstanis coming up through PSL vs International standard attacks.

These were some of the top performers in the 2024 edition:

Hanif Mohammad Cap for Most Runs: Babar Azam

Player of the Tournament: Shadab Khan

Best Batter of the Tournament: Usman Khan

Super all-rounder of the Tournament: Saim Ayub

Wicketkeeper of the Tournament: Azam Khan

=================

Question really is, what is the point of PSL when none of these performers amount to anything good for Pakistan?

Why waste money on this tournament when it is not yielding anything of use for Pakistan?
some1 posted a thread months back that PSL should be longer to rival IPL :rolleyes:

Why are Babar and Rizwan captain’s in PSL? They are misusing their power to promote themselves as openers when they have no business doing this

PSL should no longer be the criteria for selection in our national side.
True but what should be criteria? PSL still has more quality than domestic T20 tournaments, so if we are not using PSL we are definitely not using domestic tournaments. So, what should be the criteria?

True but what should be criteria? PSL still has more quality than domestic T20 tournaments, so if we are not using PSL we are definitely not using domestic tournaments. So, what should be the criteria?

How can you be so sure if the players are not being assessed properly?

Looks like saya corp is deciding who is in or out of the circle.

Rohit Sharma Virat Kohli SKY QDK M Marsh Warner Head all have proper batting technique and they are successful in T20 cricket same is for several NZ batters Mitchell Conway Rachin. This is is the ability which most of Pakistan batsman lack ie a proper technique Rizwan Iftikhar Haris Fakhar AzamKhan Saim all sailing in same river. The exceptions in T20 cricket are Buttler, Maxwell and some WI batters like Russell etc. The advantage WI players have is Hulk like physique and good Back foot technique unlike our players who are failing in both aspects.

PCB needs to get the museum ala NCA working and hire some professionals to work on players rather than hoping for a fluke 50 in PSL to select players.

Most Pakistan hitters of the past who had some longevity like Shahid Afridi Razzaq even Wasim Akram and Misbah ul Haq were solidly built and had some sort of method or game plan.

Whereas at present no Pakistan batsman has a gameplan for power hitting be it Muhammad Rizwan Saim Ayub or Fakhar Zaman.

Until Pakistan starts taking longer formats seriously they will regress further. T20 is a pyjama format cricket that is fit only for leagues.

Like IPL PSL is an entertainment event that PCB organize for revenue generation

Like IPL PSL is an entertainment event that PCB organize for revenue generation
But India never lost sight of longer formats. Reached WTC finals twice.

Since October 2016 total number of months teams were ranked no.1

India 55 months
Australia 26 months
NZ 8 months

Other teams never reached no.1 ranking during this phase

If you look for 10 year period

India 56 months
Australia 29 months
South Africa 18 months
New zealand 8 months
Pakistan 2 months

But India never lost sight of longer formats. Reached WTC finals twice.

Since October 2016 total number of months teams were ranked no.1

India 55 months
Australia 26 months
NZ 8 months

Other teams never reached no.1 ranking during this phase

If you look for 10 year period

India 56 months
Australia 29 months
South Africa 18 months
New zealand 8 months
Pakistan 2 months
Yep but still tbh its not IPL but Indian domestic structure that is bringing forth the refined Indian talent.

Yep but still tbh its not IPL but Indian domestic structure that is bringing forth the refined Indian talent.
You can go further down. under-19 is still strong for India. Reached 5 under-19 world cup finals in a row. In 2024 even with an average team they reached the final

T20 format should be the basis for T20 selection.

Selecting solely from FC isn't viable.

If the PSL isn't producing the players then we should look at strengthening domestic T20 cricket.

It’s a given Pakistan cricket is officially dead. But one thing that was quite telling for me was how the American popup stadiums were much more advanced and beautiful than any cricket stadium in Pakistan. The New York and Lauderdale stadiums were so pretty one could easily mistake them for England, NZ, South Africa or Australia. Cements the notion that cricket is a dead sport in Pakistan.

Yes, let's select from the faysal bank trophy.

Bilal Asif, Shakeel Ansar, Ramiz jnr, Mukhtar Ahmed etc were absolutely legendary picks and made the top players in the world quack in their boots.

Yes, let's select from the faysal bank trophy.

Bilal Asif, Shakeel Ansar, Ramiz jnr, Mukhtar Ahmed etc were absolutely legendary picks and made the top players in the world quack in their boots.

I would go into the u19 and even u16 because they are really 19.

For me an international cricketer has been playing since 8. These 20 somethings suddenly going pro have a short shelf life and lack professionalism.

They should go to private schools and trial the youngsters and give them a salary to play and see if they make it.

Said this in another thread: PSL isn't the sole cause of Pakistan's demise, but it's fair to question a) the standard of the league and b) how much weighting selectors give to PSL performances. Here's some numbers.

Iftikhar Ahmed in PSL 2024: Avg 64 SR 193
Iftikhar Ahmed in T20Is 2024: Avg 15 SR 115

Usman Khan in PSL 2024: Avg 107 SR 164
Usman Khan in T20Is 2024: Avg 16 SR 130

Saim Ayub in PSL 2024: Avg 31 SR 157
Saim Ayub in T20Is 2024: Avg 13 SR 124

Azam Khan in PSL 2024: Avg 25 SR 171
Azam Khan in T20Is 2024: Avg 11 SR 152

These exposure of these PSL Bradmans shows the massive gulf between our flagship event and international cricket. A drop-off is to be expected, but to this extent ?!

The 2021, 2022 and 2024 T20 World Cups have not been the slugfests we expected. The wickets especially in 2022 and 2024 have required fundamentally sound batsmen who can up a gear if needed.

Obviously there's exceptions to the rule and FC stats cannot solely be used to pick T20 players (otherwise Babar and Rizwan would be undroppable despite their glaring limitations in T20), but some of the best white-ball cricketers have strong FC numbers. Travis Head has a FC average of 40. Glenn Maxwell averages 39. Rahmanullah Gurbaz averages 47. Chris Gayle had two Test triple tons. It's something to consider at least when selecting squads.

Said this in another thread: PSL isn't the sole cause of Pakistan's demise, but it's fair to question a) the standard of the league and b) how much weighting selectors give to PSL performances. Here's some numbers.

These exposure of these PSL Bradmans shows the massive gulf between our flagship event and international cricket. A drop-off is to be expected, but to this extent ?!

The 2021, 2022 and 2024 T20 World Cups have not been the slugfests we expected. The wickets especially in 2022 and 2024 have required fundamentally sound batsmen who can up a gear if needed.

Obviously there's exceptions to the rule and FC stats cannot solely be used to pick T20 players (otherwise Babar and Rizwan would be undroppable despite their glaring limitations in T20), but some of the best white-ball cricketers have strong FC numbers. Travis Head has a FC average of 40. Glenn Maxwell averages 39. Rahmanullah Gurbaz averages 47. Chris Gayle had two Test triple tons. It's something to consider at least when selecting squads.

The base is always test cricket. A batter with a good technique will be able to play a long innings. In ODI he would be able to play a long innings with high tempo and T20s is just a formality.

Apart from Babar and hints from Saim there is no batter with a good technique. They are either hacks or tuk tukers.

I am still struggling to understand why in a population of 250 million with cricket the main sport its impossible to find talent.

Even in Africa they are able to find quality footballers so poverty is no excuse. What is the reason?

You are someone who studies Pak FC cricket intently.

Is there anybody who you think should have been selected for T20 cricket based on their exploits in domestic FC cricket?

Perhaps Kamran Ghulam, Saud Shakeel and Abdullah Shafique?

Two of those names in your list ( Saim and Ifti) also have 40 plus FC averages.

In our current squad only Shadab,Usman and Azam and Haris don't really have a FC base. The rest of them have toiled for many years in FC cricket.

It's done nothing for them.

Usman was successful in the top 3, but was thrown around here and there, so can't fault him.

Azam wasn't that good except the one knock.

Saim definitely disappointed from the PSL lot.

Iftikhar is old, so his reflexes were ready to go anytime.

Usman was successful in the top 3, but was thrown around here and there, so can't fault him.

Azam wasn't that good except the one knock.

Saim definitely disappointed from the PSL lot.

Iftikhar is old, so his reflexes were ready to go anytime.
Except for one game UK batted at number 3 position.

He was flapping around in the field trying to catch the ball.

His batting technique is not great. He should spend 2 years in domestic cricket to develop.

Babar is a no.3 and they should build a new team around him.

Is there anybody who you think should have been selected for T20 cricket based on their exploits in domestic FC cricket?

In our current squad only Shadab,Usman and Azam and Haris don't really have a FC base. The rest of them have toiled for many years in FC cricket.

+1

I have yet to see an international T20I superstar batter who hasn't excelled in domestic first-class cricket. Whether you look at players like SKY, Maxwell, Head, Wade, Buttler, or others, all T20I superstars have demonstrated proficiency in the FC format because a solid technique forms the foundation for developing a power-packed game. When you’re facing high quality bowling, finding boundaries and capitalizing on loose deliveries is bare minimum for success.

However, excelling in FC cricket doesn't guarantee greatness in T20s either. I believe the key lies in balancing performance across both formats. Your list is good, and I would include Agha Salman among those who have laid a strong foundation to build upon.

In my view, proper batters with a power game surpass both pure batters and sloggers in priority. But proper batters are better than sloggers even if the former lack power game. Given the scarcity of such players, our focus should be on selecting proper batters and nurturing their ability to shift gears effectively.

For me, proper batters are those capable of rotating strike, punishing loose balls, and managing risk effectively.

Considering the current state of Pakistani skill development, it's crucial to compensate by selecting experienced and proven domestic batters, ideally in the 27-33 age range.

Sorry for the late reply - combination of work and illness. I did follow PAK FC intently between 2019-2022. For many years I literally dreamt of a FC system with regions fans could actually follow instead of random gas companies and airlines. Heck I'd even scribble down on a piece of paper the possible squads for each region, and the format for this hypothetical competition.

When PCB introduced that system in 2019, you can imagine how over the moon I was. I'd watch the highlights on YouTube every day after work. No more wretched departments, clear system of progression for players with a First and Second XI tournament, upgraded coverage (which also meant no more blatant nepotism escaping under the radar) and more accountability for coaches than ever before. Each team had identifiable philosophies. We even had foreign coaches participating. Was it flawless ? No. But it was progress.

So you can imagine how heartbroken I was when PCB reintroduced (overseen by Misbah and Hafeez on the Technical Committee) the old corrupt setup. Instead of building on the previous system, we've gone back to square one so I boycotted last season - whether Ghani Glass won or lost I couldn't care less.

Anyway to answer the question - I can't comment on those names without seeing their T20 batting but my opinion, could be wrong, is that a player with a solid FC record who can up a gear generally has a better chance of performing consistently everywhere than a pure T20 player with no FC foundation. It's not just those names - look at Khushdil Shah and Asif Ali. They have sub-30 FC averages and both flopped miserably in Pakistan's white-ball teams in some part as neither had a sturdy technical base to their batting.

There's always exceptions to the rule, and I'm not advocating selecting T20 batsmen solely on FC numbers. However the last two World Cups in WI/USA and AUS haven't been the slugfests many expected. The surfaces required a solid technique with a bit of innovation and aggression at the right time. Our batsmen had neither.

The problems are technical. We are producing hacks barring Babar and tuk tuks who can't adapt to T20.

Apart from Saim when he plays proper strokes, there is nobody with a clean technique.

Batters like Shafique, Shakeel and Imam are decent in tests but they can't even up the tempo for ODI never mind T20.

I like Huraira, hope he debuts soon but apart from him and Saim there is nobody else.

Shocking situation, the cupboard is bare.

Sorry but this is just delusional to blame PSL. If not PSL, will you select from National T20 which is of an even lower standard?
Its not delusional, we have to accept that PSL is a substandard league and work on getting more international superstars to play in it..

Our players have forgotten what competitive cricket really feels like...

.. because the real talent resides in tape ball tournaments.

At this point I would recommend the PCB make the criteria scoring above average on an IQ test. I can almost guarantee we’d have better results than we are currently seeing.

PSL should never have been the criteria for selection but PCB always likes to mess things up and did exactly the opposite of what was required.

Playng 1 or 2 good inning in this event and getting a place in national side is unfair to those who grind throughout the year in domestics and still could not get a chance because they sometimes are not even picked for PSL.

Back