Punjabi Cinema - On the Rise?

Bhaijaan

Hall of Famer
Runs
Post of the Week
Some very entertaining movies are coming up these days. There is big room for improvement still but Punjabi cinema is well on track now.

I really liked 'Jatt & Juliet'.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YVsvcvN_XlM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

Last edited:
@FC - Even recently released rom-com "Carry on Jatta" seemed to have performed very well all across the globe(already created some collection record overseas for a punjabi film).

I didn't like 'Carry on Jatta' AT ALL ! :facepalm: It was nothing but an extended comedy CD.

Jatt and Juliet was better than most Bolly movies though, thoroughly enjoyed it. :yahoo

Pooja Kiwein ae? :heart:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z0RxF9NPJIo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I didn't like 'Carry on Jatta' AT ALL ! :facepalm: It was nothing but an extended comedy CD.

Jatt and Juliet was better than most Bolly movies though, thoroughly enjoyed it. :yahoo

I need to find a good rip(possibly Blu-Rayish quality) with english subtitles then :p

Jatt n Juliet is one of the best movies I saw this year

so hilarious:))

I think Indian and Pakistani Punjabis should collaborate on this, them Pakistani Punjabi artists are masters at comedy. Together we can produce great cinema and cater to the huge Punjabi population spread across the globe.

I have been recently on a Punjabi movie roll-Carry on Jatta, Jatt & Juliet, Taur Mittran Di, Pure Panjabi, Mirza, Kabbadi Once Again and Sirphire :D

I think my punjabis as good as my Dads now.

Last year 'Jihne Mera dil lutteya' and 'Yaar Anmulley' were fabulous.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Iz0yI85d5RY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PckCyAnLhk4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

All we need now is more actors. We have shortage, the same artists act in all movies. That needs to change, rest seems fine to me. Production standards have improved remarkably.

^ want to see actors act n not singers.Jimmy Shergill did one movie.dunno why he doesnt do more.hes a fail in Bollywood anyway

Jimmy was a pleasant change after the senti Harbhajan Mann era. Harbhaj served us well though, i'd actually like to see him again now.

To bo honest, Diljit is doing an incredible job. Guy's got some talent, he's here to stay. Gippy is okayish, not great but not awful either. But yea we need more actorss.

It's great to see Punjabi folks supporting the movies big time, they have all done great business at box office.

I have heard a lot lately...my friends suggested a few movies a couple of weeks back...will see over the weekend...

Jatt n Juliet was a funny flick :D

I suppose after Bollywood, South Indian movies collect the most in terms of revenue. But most of those movies n actors are horrible, just switch STAR GOLD and we see a dubbing film which is completely out of sync plua even the movie titles (meri jung/ main hoon no.1/ badlaa surya kaa/....) are pathetic :facepalm

^^^ The thing is bolly dubb the bad movies and remake the good ones. they are lot of good movies and actors in south ...but dubbed ones in star gold or sony max are bad...

Watched Carry on Jatta last night and i enoyed it. Maybe because i only expected it be extended comedy cd lol.

^^^ The thing is bolly dubb the bad movies and remake the good ones. they are lot of good movies and actors in south ...but dubbed ones in star gold or sony max are bad...

Yeah i know, Tamil/ Malayalam films generally win few national awards every year. But those dubbed flicks on STAR GOLD/ MAX are plain horrible & i heard few of those are blockbusters in south :facepalm

They are all humorous if they don't have Harbhajan Mann in them. :))

Last edited:
I think Indian and Pakistani Punjabis should collaborate on this, them Pakistani Punjabi artists are masters at comedy. Together we can produce great cinema and cater to the huge Punjabi population spread across the globe.

Totally agree, Pak Punjabis will at least learn their language and know their culture as there isn't much space for it in Pakistan.

One thing I love about Indian Punjabi movies is that they can still be enjoyed with the entire family. They haven't gone the 'censor free' approach yet.

Jimmy was a pleasant change after the senti Harbhajan Mann era. Harbhaj served us well though, i'd actually like to see him again now.

To bo honest, Diljit is doing an incredible job. Guy's got some talent, he's here to stay. Gippy is okayish, not great but not awful either. But yea we need more actorss.

It's great to see Punjabi folks supporting the movies big time, they have all done great business at box office.

TBH I actually enjoy Harbhajan Mann's movies more than Jimmy's. Any movies that has Ghuggi in it a worth watch. :D

Kabaddi - Once Again :kapil

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I7fNEsbDNww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

Last edited:
One thing I love about Indian Punjabi movies is that they can still be enjoyed with the entire family. They haven't gone the 'censor free' approach yet.

Yeah, i have only seen a few movies with family in multiplexes in last few years and most of them have been Punjabi movies.

TBH I actually enjoy Harbhajan Mann's movies more than Jimmy's. Any movies that has Ghuggi in it a worth watch. :D

His movies were very good, but people got bored of him. Harbhajan put Punjabi cinema on the global scene so total respect to him. #legend :)

Good old days in Punjabi cinema.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RWawCNVQvRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, Kimi Verma. Gotta love her, she's lovely.

Please recommend some new Punjabi movies of different genres.

No sad or gory blood baths please.

Please recommend some new Punjabi movies of different genres.

No sad or gory blood baths please.

sorry to bump this again but can anyone point me to the right direction, any website or info of top 10 punjabi movies of various genre?
Thanks

Senman, check this out. Jatt & Juliet is the best and the latest.

Jatt and Juliet (2012) - All Time Blockbuster
Jihne Mera Dil Luteya (2011) - Blockbuster
Mel Karade Rabba (2010) - All Time Blockbuster
Dil Apna Punjabi (2006) - All Time Blockbuster
Dharti (2011) - Super Hit
Mirza - The Untold Story (2012) - Hit
Mera Pind - My Home (2008) - Blockbuster
Desi Romeos (2012) - Blockbuster
Des Hoya Pardes (2004) - All Time Blockbuster
Ekam (2010) - Blockbuster
Yaar Annmulle (2011) - Super Hit
Mitti Wajaan Mardi (2007) - Blockbuster
Munde UK De (2009) - Blockbuster
Jag Jeondeyan De Mele (2009) - Super Hit
Hashar (2008) - Super Hit
Tera Mera Ki Rishta (2009) - Super Hit
Ik Kudi Punjab Di (2010) - Hit
Asa Nu Maan Watna Da (2004) - Blockbuster
Jee Aayan Nu (2002) - All Time Blockbuster
Apni Boli Apna Des (2009) - Semi Hit
The Lion of Punjab (2011) - Semi Hit
Yaariyan (2008) - Average
Yaara O Dildara (2011) - Below Average
Heer Ranjha (2009) - Below Average
Warris Shah (2006) - Below Average
Yaaran Naal Baharaan (2005) - Hit
Mannat (2006) - Above Average
Rabb Ne Banaiyan Jodiean (2006) - Flop
Mar Jawan Gur Khake (2010) - Below Average
Punjaban (2010) - Below Average
Sukhmani- Hope for a Life (2010) - Below Average

Missing Gurdas Mann as well, he was a wonderful actor (apart from being THE legendary singer of Punjabi music)

Missing Gurdas Mann as well, he was a wonderful actor (apart from being THE legendary singer of Punjabi music)

My father is a big Gurdas Mann fan, I think he literally watched all his Punjabi movies, apart from obviously appreciating Gurdas Mann the singer.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VurWmvHey_A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

^ Gurdas Mann's one of those rare people everyone loves. Easily the greatest artist in Punjabi entertainment industry. If only more Indians could understand Punjabi and had the privilege of following him.

Des Hoya Pardes was a very emotional movie.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0YUREWDNKYE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Before that Shaheed-e-Mohabbat was another great movie of his.

Last edited:

Ajj De Ranjhe To Have Simultaneous Pakistan Release

Wednesday 29th August 2009 14.30 IST
Press Release

In recent times Punjabi films have been witnessing a successful run across all its established markets. So much so that, some of the latest releases have set benchmarks for the industry and raised the audience and trade's expectations.

Setting one such new benchmark is Reliance Entertainment's forthcoming movie 'Ajj De Ranjhe', which will see a simultaneous release in India and Pakistan on 7th September. A first for any Punjabi movie! The film has got a nod of Pakistan's authority for its simultaneous release across the border.

Manmohan Singh says, "This is like a dream come true in context of Punjabi films. The Pakistan release will not only forge ties between the two nations, albeit will provide Punjabi cinema with a new Punjabi market." A presentation of Reliance Entertainment and renowned Punjab industry stalwart Manmohan Singh, Ajj De Ranjhe will also be simultaneously released in India, Canada, New Zealand, UK, America, Australia and European countries.
‘Ajj De Ranjhe’ stars Gurpreet Singh (Guggi), Kimmy Verma, Aman Dhaliwal, Gurleen Chopra, Deep Dhillon amongst many others.

Good news.

The trailer looks quite bad though :facepalm: From where did they find this jungli actor? :))

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/85BFp3c1HPk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

will watch it for Ghuggi.looks like hes got a big role

Was watching Tere Naal Love ho gaya videos a few weeks back..and was wondering why this guy suddenly appears ...so I guess he is now the star in Punjabi film right now?? Will be watching Jatt and Juliet today night...whole song is sung by him ...has a great voice !!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TCbU6Y9-cAE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Jimmy Shergill deserves a lot of credit for bringing Punjabi movies into the mainstream

Punjabis are seriously good at music(yeah,i'm a huuuge fan of bhangda) but their movies suck big time,may be i watched all the flop stuff....so yeah i'll watch that jatt and juliet tonight

The trailer looks quite bad though :facepalm: From where did they find this jungli actor? :))

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/85BFp3c1HPk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have seen that heroine in some other flick, can't recall which one & that male protoganist is :facepalm:

It's Kimmy Verma. She has been in many Punjabi movies, with Harbhajan Mann mostly.

Totally agree, Pak Punjabis will at least learn their language and know their culture as there isn't much space for it in Pakistan.

What are you saying man ? I think Pak punjabis are 50% population in Pakistan so do you mean that so many people dont know their punjabi culture and language ? And what do you mean by no space in Pakistan ? As if punjabis are a tiny minority in Pakistan .

Going by figures , Punjabiyat should be more stronger in Pakistan than in India where Punjabis are just 2 % of population .

Quality > Quantity

Punjabis are influential where ever they are. :kapil

^^^ True that.

With Just 2 % population....Be it politics, cricket, other sports...especially hockey, cinema, .....basically in every field that has active participation in...Punjabis have had a great influence ...

Salute to the community...

^^^ True that.

With Just 2 % population....Be it politics, cricket, other sports...especially hockey, cinema, .....basically in every field that has active participation in...Punjabis have had a great influence ...

I feel so proud.

^^^ True that.

I think other reason is Punjabis in Pakistan unlike in India have to much power. They dominate everything, i would say their influnce is 80% while just being 50% of population.

And other ethnicities doesnt stop blaming Pakistani punjabis and thats why you will see Punjabis trying to forget their roots while other ethinicites are proud of their language and culture in Pakistan.

Punjabis also produce fastest bowlers in the world . Waqar , Wasim , Akhtar , Riaz , Md Zahid .

I think other reason is Punjabis in Pakistan unlike in India have to much power. They dominate everything, i would say their influnce is 80% while just being 50% of population.

And other ethnicities doesnt stop blaming Pakistani punjabis and thats why you will see Punjabis trying to forget their roots while other ethinicites are proud of their language and culture in Pakistan.

You mean Punjabis rock and you are just jealous.

Definitely. Pakistani Punjabis tend to downplay their heritage because they share some cultural heritage with Punjabis across the border. I see Pashtuns complaining bitterly why Pashto doesn't get taught in Pakistan, yet Punjabi has become almost obsolete as a written language and no Punjabi has ever raised a peep.

^^^ Downplaying your culture coz you share it with India?? That is just sad.... I like Punjabi culture !!!!

Guys, check this out. :)))

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g0w3gnm3WM4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Definitely. Pakistani Punjabis tend to downplay their heritage because they share some cultural heritage with Punjabis across the border. I see Pashtuns complaining bitterly why Pashto doesn't get taught in Pakistan, yet Punjabi has become almost obsolete as a written language and no Punjabi has ever raised a peep.

Bhai i got to know about that in the language forum, Pakitani Punjabi can talk Punjabi but they don't know how to write it. I think you guys write it using arabic letters. That's not great considering the number and influence of Punjabis there. :azhar

ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਇੱਦਾ ਲਿਖੀ ਦੀ ਏ ੨੨ ਜੀ. :amir

^^^ Downplaying your culture coz you share it with India?? That is just sad.... I like Punjabi culture !!!!

I'm sure you do, but Pakistani Punjabis were the forefathers of Punjabi cinema with the Maula Jatt films. Your patronising Jatt and Juliet rubbish in contrast, looks similar to the BBC's lame effort with Citizen Khan.

^ #1. Jatt & Juliet wasn't rubbish.

#2. Indian Punjabis are forefathers of Indian film industry which was well established long before Maula Jatt and all. :)

^ #1. Jatt & Juliet wasn't rubbish.

#2. Indian Punjabis are forefathers of Indian film industry which was well established long before Maula Jatt and all. :)

Indian Punjabis are not even punjabis they are teenjabis, ok i will stop now. lol

And i agree Bollywood is dominated by Punjabis.

I'm sure you do, but Pakistani Punjabis were the forefathers of Punjabi cinema with the Maula Jatt films. Your patronising Jatt and Juliet rubbish in contrast, looks similar to the BBC's lame effort with Citizen Khan.

I haven't seen a single punjabi film...do not understand the language. Will watch J & J today. I am not exactly why you aimed the post at me.

Dont get me wrong Maula Jat is my favorite punjabi film but only good for laugh. Cant stop laughing whenever i watch it :wasim

Indian Punjabis are not even punjabis they are teenjabis, ok i will stop now. lol

And i agree Bollywood is dominated by Punjabis.

Good one. :) That's why its so important for Indian and Pakistani Punjabis to stay connected. Land of 5 rivers. :amir

In Pakistan, Punjabi will be like Latin or Sanskrit in two decades max., just wait.

Its just sad and thats why I respect the Bangladeshis a lot who take a huge pride in their culture and are proud muslims at same time . I mean these were the very same guys who revolted for a separate Muslim state , have far more deeper cultural attachment ( bengali ) with India and yet were up in arms and in front of bullets to save their language and culture .

The Pakistani establishment tried to play the same Urdu and pan Arabism card in East Pakistan which backfired quite badly . I am not sure if the bengali script would be in mainstream use today if East Pakistan was still in existence as the first condition of Pakistaniat is to distance yourself from everything which has even a remote connection with anything Hindu/vedic . This attitude of being something that you arent has led to the whole identity crisis problem .

I think a lot of countries including Pakistan can learn a great deal from example of Bangladesh on how to be proud of your past as well as present . Cultural identitity exists from past many centuries but the religious or national identity could be just a few years old , and hence abandoning local culture wont make anyone a better muslim , as it only shows your own inferiority complex where something has to be sacrificed to fit in better mould and gain acceptance .

In Pakistan, Punjabi will be like Latin or Sanskrit in two decades max., just wait.

Incorrect . Pakistan still has millions of Punjabi speakers especially in semi-urban and village areas , more than anywhere else in the world .
Dont judge only by looking at the elite who might prefer urdu or english to come across more sophisticated .

The language would always survive .

Incorrect . Pakistan still has millions of Punjabi speakers especially in semi-urban and village areas , more than anywhere else in the world .
Dont judge only by looking at the elite who might prefer urdu or english to come across more sophisticated .

glad to hear that

Spot on. I get tired of all this 'Punjabi will be dead within so and so years etc. etc.'. This kind of nonsense is usually spouted by 'shehri' people, who have huge inferiority complexes and have themselves forgotten their culture and heritage. Punjabi is the only spoken language in the pinds of Punjab and that accounts for probably at least 75% of all Punjabis in Pakistan.

Has anybody watched "Raula Pai Gaya" (Ravinder Grewal). How's it?

Has anybody watched "Raula Pai Gaya" (Ravinder Grewal). How's it?

no watched the song though n loved it
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q8M2Vj90Nw0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back