Punjabi to be introduced as subject in schools

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs

---------------

Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz has announced the introduction of Punjabi as a subject in schools.

She expressed gratitude to the people of Punjab for entrusting her with the position of chief minister, saying that this honour bestowed respect upon her as their sister and daughter. She congratulated the Punjabi community on her election, marking a historic moment for Indian and Pakistani Punjab.

Addressing a ceremony held at Al Hamra Hall for Punjab Culture Day Saturday, Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz emphasised the resilience of Punjabi women, highlighting their role as pillars of strength within their families. She encouraged parents to teach their children the Punjabi language and pledged support for the revival of Punjabi cinema.

She stressed the importance of preserving Punjabi culture to safeguard the language's heritage. She advocated for Punjabi cultural celebrations at all levels of education and underscored the need to promote linguistic pride among Punjabis.

Reflecting on the rich cultural tapestry of Punjab, Maryam Nawaz lamented the decline in pride associated with the Punjabi language. She urged parents to instill a sense of cultural identity in their children to prevent the language from fading into obscurity.

The chief minister called for a renewed focus on Punjabi cinema, emphasising its role in preserving cultural traditions. She highlighted the contributions of renowned Punjabi poets and expressed admiration for poets across the border, including Amrita Pritam.

Provincial Minister for Information and Culture, Azma Bokhari, welcomed Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz and praised her commitment to promoting Punjabi culture. The ceremony featured traditional attire and performances by artists, with prizes awarded to students for their contributions to cultural activities.

Senior Provincial Minister Marriyum Aurangzeb, Chief Secretary, Secretary of Information and Culture, and other officials attended the event, reaffirming their dedication to cultural development under Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz's leadership.

She also visited the handicrafts exhibition at Al Hamra and toured traditional Punjabi food stalls. She expressed interest in Gandhara art samples from Taxila and observed samples of woodwork, string art, camel bone crafts, and pencil paintings. Maryam Nawaz appreciated the craftsmanship of Punjab's Gote Kanari and Chinri dresses.

Furthermore, she witnessed name writing on rice, brass handicrafts, bamboo artworks, and pottery made by local artisans.

Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz observed the process of spinning yarn on a spinning wheel and tried it herself. She also showed interest in Khadi clothing production and personally purchased a set of traditional bangles from a stall. The CM inaugurated a painting exhibition at Al Hamra Art Gallery, commending the artists for their work reflecting Punjab's culture.

She attended a ceremony at Al Hamra Hall, where Hina Nasrullah presented special Sufi poetry, highlighting Punjab's cultural heritage. Traditional Punjabi dances, including Geeda, Dhamal, and Bhangra, were performed, along with Punjabi folk songs by Arif Lohar and other singers. Folk artists showcased mystical dances depicting Punjab's culture.

SOURCE: https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/1166476-punjabi-to-be-introduced-as-subject-in-schools-maryam

Good on Maryam first introduced B-gairti in party and now Punjabi in schools

Shouldn't Punjabi be compulsory in schools in Punjab? I did sort of hear of this not teaching the local language but but dismissed it as a half-truth.

Shouldn't Punjabi be compulsory in schools in Punjab? I did sort of hear of this not teaching the local language but but dismissed it as a half-truth.

Don't think there was ever really much call for it from Punjabis themselves, but it's not a bad initiative. English is more important as a secondary language, I don't think that was taken seriously enough for a long time.

They're building sikh Punjabi village in kartarour.

Soon Pakistan will be teaching sikhism

Pushto is equally if not more important given the geography it covers

Doesn't 60℅ of pak speak punjabi, it's also a much more global language than pashto

I think it's better to focus on our mother language throughout the country which is URDU. There's no point in teaching regional languages in different provinces, keep the same curriculum across the country.
What's wrong with punjabi kids learning their mother tongue, after most pakistanis are punjabi

I think it's better to focus on our mother language throughout the country which is URDU. There's no point in teaching regional languages in different provinces, keep the same curriculum across the country.
What about those whose mother language is that regional language? Denying someones mother tongue is language imperialism.

What's wrong with punjabi kids learning their mother tongue, after most pakistanis are punjabi
Bro I am myself Punjabi but the point is in southern Punjab why would they learn Punjabi? Either teach them their regional language which is saraiki then similarly in Hazara Division.

That would be ironic as in Bharat they are teaching Sikh religion is actually just an extension of hindu religion.

PML-Noon is attempting to revive Punjabi nationalism, which is essentially a defunct movement. This is probably because they want something other than their family name to campaign on. They may try to emulate what the PPP has done in Sindh, by pretending to unite a province under their party. Goes to show how desperate these mandate thieves are.

Sindhi nationalists often vote for PPP, hoping that it will preserve their culture(which is backward and in desperate need of reform(which will never happen)).

Off topic but, Punjabi nationalism is the silliest possible thing given that everything outside of Lahore is neglected in the province. Punjabi nationalism is a fundamentally flawed concept.

Lol if that was the case Sikhs wouldn’t have a separate marriage act.

It's not Sikhs who are behind the campaign, it is a long term one aimed at gradual assimilation. There is also a similar aim to assimilate Buddhism as a form of hindu religion.

They can speak their mother tongue in their homes freely.
This is textbook language imperialism then. When one language gets state support and one is denied formal education and only allowed as a spoken language, it makes one language dominant and limits the use of the other in society. And when one language is made dominant by state backing, it promotes people with that mother tongue over the others.

When Islam celebrates diversity within itself, this is also not according to Islamic values.

Yes in Punjab and KPK
So it's worse than India. It's a perpetual source of frustration to me how much Hindi my daughter is forced to learn. Practically useless 90% of it except for a little conversational skill. It's a disaster of a syllabus designed by parochial North-Indian nincompoops. As revenge, I refuse to let her a single Bollywood movie.

I have no problems her being forced to learn Marathi. We live in Maharashtra after all and have to respect the local language plus anyway they keep it simple emphasising day to day usage rather than complex grammatical rules.

Plus obviously we're trying to teach her own mother tongue so the poor kid has to learn 4 languages.

Whose mother language is Urdu? Just like Hindi, it's a language forced by the majority on the minority based on some vague notions of national identity.

In fact, Urdu's even worse. It wasn't forced by the majority but the elite who thought they knew better than the masses. At partition, only a small percentage of the population of Pakistan spoke Urdu and most of them were migrants and refugees. Jinnah himself couldn't speak it.

English is obviously necessary to get ahead in today's world but other than that, teach kids the local language is what I believe.

It's not Sikhs who are behind the campaign, it is a long term one aimed at gradual assimilation. There is also a similar aim to assimilate Buddhism as a form of hindu religion.
Nope, BJP and esp Modi have been very clear on these distinctions, with Jainism, Parsis.

BJP is so clear on Dharmic Identities.

I understand what you want to believe but it isn’t the truth.

So it's worse than India. It's a perpetual source of frustration to me how much Hindi my daughter is forced to learn. Practically useless 90% of it except for a little conversational skill. It's a disaster of a syllabus designed by parochial North-Indian nincompoops. As revenge, I refuse to let her a single Bollywood movie.

I have no problems her being forced to learn Marathi. We live in Maharashtra after all and have to respect the local language plus anyway they keep it simple emphasising day to day usage rather than complex grammatical rules.

Plus obviously we're trying to teach her own mother tongue so the poor kid has to learn 4 languages.
Our language system is broken. Even the so called Hindi states, don't have Hindi spoken as mother tongue. Rajasthani, Awadhi, Bhojpuri, Maithili, Haryanvi all are different languages but somehow pushed under the umbrella of Hindi by calling them dialects. Hindi imperialism nothing else. I don't have anything against hindi but don't find it appealing. It is same as urdu (which is nothing without the heavily borrowed persian vocabulary), and hindi is nothing without its heaviliy sanskritized vocabulary.

Ideally north states should have their own languages taught, with the option of languages from other parts of India.

If English was compulsary all this while, how come none of the Pakistani cricketers know how to speak it?

I found that strange as well, I always thought English was shunned until recently, more chance of Arabic studies being compulsory, but I believe there might have been a recent change of direction with English belatedly given more priority. Hence so many Pakistan cricketers still struggle to speak English, but maybe the next generation will be more fluent.

Nope, BJP and esp Modi have been very clear on these distinctions, with Jainism, Parsis.

BJP is so clear on Dharmic Identities.

I understand what you want to believe but it isn’t the truth.

This is nothing more than dissimulation, a key strategy of hindutva ideologues. You wouldn't expect it to be discussed openly by BJP, but if you look at the teachings of their ideologues the RSS and you could get access to their material, you might get closer to the long term aims.

It's a perpetual source of frustration to me how much Hindi my daughter is forced to learn. Practically useless 90% of it except for a little conversational skill. It's a disaster of a syllabus designed by parochial North-Indian nincompoops. As revenge, I refuse to let her a single Bollywood movie.
It's far more useful than every South Indian language put together and I say this as a punjabi speaker.

This is just the typical South Indian inferiority complex at play.

It's far more useful than every South Indian language put together and I say this as a punjabi speaker.

Hindi is not useful in South India at all.

Only in Bangalore and Hyderabad you can get by. The rest of KA and AP/TS you will struggle, unless you meet Muslims (and they can converse in Urdu).

In TN, even the capital Chennai you are out of luck. KL is not much better.

Only in Bangalore and Hyderabad you can get by. The rest of KA and AP/TS you will struggle, unless you meet Muslims (and they can converse in Urdu).

In TN, I used to speak in either english or broken Tamil, but when it came to getting my business, the locals would surprise me by talking in Hindi, assuming that I am a hindi speaker.

I assure you that as a South Indian, I have an insane superiority complex not inferiority. I consciously try to fight it.

M daughter is just finishing third grade. There is language in her Hindi syllabus that I haven't used in 40+ years of living in India and speaking it for various reasons. There is no practical purpose to her learning any further Hindi than the level she's being taught now . None at all. Nothing that will help her or the country in her life.

The next 7 years of the subject are utterly superflous. Designed by utter idiots who have no actual conception of what's needed by kids today. I'm guessing they're all 90+ years old and have have never stepped foot out of Delhi.

I'm having to contemplate moving her to an International Board to avoid this colossal waste when I actually admitted her in an Indian syllabus for her to get a wide exposure to kids from all backgrounds rather than the echo chambers these International Board schools tend to become.

In TN, I used to speak in either english or broken Tamil, but when it came to getting my business, the locals would surprise me by talking in Hindi, assuming that I am a hindi speaker.

Possible. They will speak in Hindi only if they want to.

Guys, this thread is for Punjabi in Pakistani Punjab, not for Hindi or Tamil

Guys, this thread is for Punjabi in Pakistani Punjab, not for Hindi or Tamil
Normally I would agree with you but I think this discussion has a lot of relevance. In both countries, uniformity is being forced on a diverse populace through a language that a minority wants.

The only languages compulsory in schools in the subcontinent should be English and the local language (if English medium). If you're struggling to find English teachers in rural areas, teach in the local language but try to give some exposure to English through online teaching material - laptops and mobile phones with internet are getting to even tiny schools now.

It's as simple as that. If you move somewhere like say Tamil Nadu or Bihar in India (or equivalent places in Pakistan) and need the local language, manage with a combination of English and pick up some broken Tamil or Hindi. My mom managed 20 years of living in Mumbai with a knowledge of maybe 20 phrases in Hindi.

Hindi is not useful if you live in south India and are happy with your little locality, which to be fair, I am sure is all most people who live there need. But if you have global ambitions of Akhand Bharat, then hindi is the lynchpin.

While I may have the sense and stiff British upper lip which curls up in disgust at hindi films, the average Pakistani and even many simpering Pakistan Brits can't help dancing and jiving along at silly Bollywood songs. Bollywood films have a soft power reach which spans the whole of the east - or at least used to - where would that soft power go if hindi stopped being the go-to Bollywood language? How many Afghans are going stay switched on at some Tamil or Marathi-speak film about water buffaloes or whatever?

Hindi is pretty useful in hyd and bang, the 2 cities that actually matter the most, if you look at it economically.

It's useless in chennai yes and in rural andhra/ts and Kerala, but they don't have a lot of industry and a big economy

I have no interest in imposing hindi on anyone, it's not my native language but I have found it useful as a link

Hindi is not useful if you live in south India and are happy with your little locality, which to be fair, I am sure is all most people who live there need. But if you have global ambitions of Akhand Bharat, then hindi is the lynchpin.

While I may have the sense and stiff British upper lip which curls up in disgust at hindi films, the average Pakistani and even many simpering Pakistan Brits can't help dancing and jiving along at silly Bollywood songs. Bollywood films have a soft power reach which spans the whole of the east - or at least used to - where would that soft power go if hindi stopped being the go-to Bollywood language? How many Afghans are going stay switched on at some Tamil or Marathi-speak film about water buffaloes or whatever?
Oh don't you stay awake at night worrying about damage to India's soft power. There's more than the population of the US & UK combined which speaks Hindi (or similar) as a first language. Bollywood will continue to churn out films for them and your 'simpering' Pakistani Brit brethren.

Leave us to our water buffaloes.

Hindi is pretty useful in hyd and bang, the 2 cities that actually matter the most, if you look at it economically.

It's useless in chennai yes and in rural andhra/ts and Kerala, but they don't have a lot of industry and a big economy

I have no interest in imposing hindi on anyone, it's not my native language but I have found it useful as a link
Sure nobody's saying Hindi is useless and needs to be killed. It needs to be optional like any other Indian language. Kids (or really their parents) could choose to learn it if they want and find it useful. In any case, to be honest, most people will pick up some smatterings due to Bollywood 'soft power.' That smattering is plenty to get on with in most Indian cities - even Delhi.

Sure nobody's saying Hindi is useless and needs to be killed. It needs to be optional like any other Indian language. Kids (or really their parents) could choose to learn it if they want and find it useful. In any case, to be honest, most people will pick up some smatterings due to Bollywood 'soft power.' That smattering is plenty to get on with in most Indian cities - even Delhi.
Ya I can't disagree with this at all

Apart from Kerala, there is bountiful industry across the Southern states, fueled by their easy access to the sea. TN and KA are in the top-5 economies in the country. If anything, it is the Hindi belt that doesn't have much industry and a big economy.

Apart from Kerala, there is bountiful industry across the Southern states, fueled by their easy access to the sea. TN and KA are in the top-5 economies in the country. If anything, it is the Hindi belt that doesn't have much industry and a big economy.
Nah, I wasn't clear.

Tamil Nadu and Karnataka have solid industry and huge economics while kerala and andhra don't.

In telengana, only the hyd has grown, the rest of the state is lagging behind

The hindi belt is pretty hopeless though - UP, MP, Raj and Bihar

This is nothing more than dissimulation, a key strategy of hindutva ideologues. You wouldn't expect it to be discussed openly by BJP, but if you look at the teachings of their ideologues the RSS and you could get access to their material, you might get closer to the long term aims.
Lol as i said you can believe what you want, Current government has done enough to distinguish different Dharmic religions and Zoroastrianism

This is actually a very good step and much more needed one.
Alot of you guys dont live in Pakistan, or spend a few weeks and leave so have no idea why this is a very important step. This has nothing to do with Punjabi Nationalism, infact, reviving back the culture wont be a bad thing.

In Punjab, the language that is mostly spoken is Punjabi. Only 16% of the people speak in urdu, while everyone speaks in Punabi. However, not everyone knows how to write Punjabi.

I live in Rawalpindi, and if I speak Urdu, English or Punjabi, the shop keeper and business community will deal with me that way. To get work done around here in Punjab, you need to know how to speak Punjabi. Things dont get done easily here. I was conducting market research for a product in a viliage in central punjab, and needed one of my cousins who can talk in Punjabi to be able to extract information and get other business vendors comfortable enough to talk and give some info.

When there is a language difference, there is also abit of mistrust.

In the field of sales, i recognized that knowing Punjabi is very important around here.

So this is a good effort by Maryam. This is like posters being offend that why Pashto is being taught in KPK or why Sindhi is taught in the schools of Sindh.

If English was compulsary all this while, how come none of the Pakistani cricketers know how to speak it?
Our books are english, but mode of communication is urdu in schools

English medium schools are seperate.

Thing is, we have a big language dillema in Pakistan

I hope they don't start teaching Punjabi swear words. You know in Pak anything can happen!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Punjabi should have been taught but it has not been. I think they teach SINDHI in schools in sindh. Personally i dont care much for it but as they say no education is bad education.

As if urdu doesn't have swear words. Read Zatalli's book if you think urdu is a language of tehzeeb.
Of course Urdu does so too but we are taking about teaching the Punjabi language here. Punjabi swear words are funnier and much more to the point.

what is the corelation? Are you saying that the language of Punjabi is linked to begairti?
I'm not saying anything like this, public knows what is happening

Last edited by a moderator:
again what is wrong with punjabi?
Nothing is wrong in pinjabi don't be stressed
Punjab has 11 divisons out of which approx. 5 divisions are Saraiki and Potohar ,based so why only Punjabi.

Good for her if she wants to take the youth to stone age why not teaching Chinese Japanese and German in Schools so that it helps students to build their career, a non speaking German language student's has to bear 5 times the expenses to get visa for Germany than the one who has the German language certificate

Language course in Pakistan costs around 60,000-100,000/-.

But Maryam vision is right to be Punjabi affluent so they are fluent in Punjabi abuses

Punjab has 11 divisons out of which approx. 5 divisions are Saraiki and Potohar ,based so why only Punjabi.

Good for her if she wants to take the youth to stone age why not teaching Chinese Japanese and German in Schools so that it helps students to build their career, a non speaking German language student's has to bear 5 times the expenses to get visa for Germany than the one who has the German language certificate

But Maryam vision is right to be Punjabi affluent so they are fluent in Punjabi abuses
It’s nice that the dialects remain in Pakistan in India it doesn’t anymore, my Naani did tell me the difference as well when they moved from
Pak, but since all refugees majorly settled in Delhi I think now it’s convoluted and overtaken by Hindi-Urdu-Punjabi mix

Our books are english, but mode of communication is urdu in schools

English medium schools are seperate.

Thing is, we have a big language dillema in Pakistan
Waste of time, they should also stop teaching Urdu. They should focus on teaching real skills that will get them Jobs.

Do you live in Pakistan?

Punjabi is spoken in whole of Punjab. Saraiki is just a further extention of the Punjabi as its a dialect.

Punjabi as a local language is needed if one wants to do business in Punjab area of Pakistan.

Canada has French as there language, so they teach it to there students. Punjabi is a local language.

Waste of time, they should also stop teaching Urdu. They should focus on teaching real skills that will get them Jobs.
how is it waste of time?

Again, alot of posters dont know the ground reality and the reason behind this.

You cannot do business easily in Punjab if you dont know Punjabi

It’s not a bad idea if it helps overcome the elitist stigma associated with speaking Punjabi. Whereas India has embraced the language and has put Punjabi music on the map, we have gone backwards. Pakistan Punjabi pop music was on the up and up in the 90s, so much talent that can help with Pakistan’s image as well.

Do you live in Pakistan?

Punjabi is spoken in whole of Punjab. Saraiki is just a further extention of the Punjabi as its a dialect.

Punjabi as a local language is needed if one wants to do business in Punjab area of Pakistan.

Canada has French as there language, so they teach it to there students. Punjabi is a local language.
Another self proclaimed failed analogy from you, take Raja Bazar majority of business owners are Pathans Tribals and they don't speak Punjabi

Nah, I wasn't clear.

The hindi belt is pretty hopeless though - UP, MP, Raj and Bihar
As per lastest stas Raj is drifting away from Bimaru states and Bengal is joining. There was an episode by Shekar Gupta on this

It is a good thing to learn local languages but first, you have to have students in the schools so they can learn the language. Maryam should out focus on bringing children back to school first.

Not constituting Bangla wreaked permanent damage on the country.

Pakistan ought to copy India where it matters such as autonomy of language!

It’s not a bad idea if it helps overcome the elitist stigma associated with speaking Punjabi. Whereas India has embraced the language and has put Punjabi music on the map, we have gone backwards. Pakistan Punjabi pop music was on the up and up in the 90s, so much talent that can help with Pakistan’s image as well.
Inane, lewd, tinnitus-inducing tripe that doesn't exactly exalt an Islamic Republic

That would be ironic as in Bharat they are teaching Sikh religion is actually just an extension of hindu religion.
And they'd be right given it plagiarised both Islam and Hinduism. It's cultural superiority masquerading as religion.

Surely the biggest global and economic opportunities are in ME now so teach Arabic, you know, that language of Islam.

Funnily, the sikh confederacy had Farsi as an official language.

Punjab was Pakistan's biggest curse. Nice mosque and that's about it.

And are we forgetting Karachi is the true capital and economic hub?.

Interesting: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/03068374.2022.2096308

I am really surprised to see the hate for punjabi from pakistanis, sad to see as someone who's grandparents came from pakistani punjab

Good thing it's happening. The youth can't understand AP Dhillon's thait punjabi lyrics. Schooling will help.

I am really surprised to see the hate for punjabi from pakistanis, sad to see as someone who's grandparents came from pakistani punjab
it was built on Iqbal's prowess. It wasn't Punjabi

The biggest issue with partition was the fault lines created and creating pseudo punjabistan.

Rajasthan alone would have elevated the status of Pakistan versus whole of punjab

Blame psuedo feminism for that, Abrar ul Haq became an overnight sensation with smash hits like Billo d ghar and KurriyaN L'hore diyan, but the outraged feminazis shut it right down protests that it encouraged lewd behaviour. Which you could argue it did, or maybe it just reflected the lewd mindset of the population generally.

Blame psuedo feminism for that, Abrar ul Haq became an overnight sensation with smash hits like Billo d ghar and KurriyaN L'hore diyan, but the outraged feminazis shut it right down protests that it encouraged lewd behaviour. Which you could argue it did, or maybe it just reflected the lewd mindset of the population generally.
Needlessly blaming punjabi culture. It is the left over of the idol worshipping culture which is giving them a bad name.

This is how some of our South Indian regional parties have propagated language hatred among the common people, claiming that the imposition of Hindi language will erode our culture and pride bla bla... Except in Tamil Nadu, most people in South India speak or understand Hindi. Telangana, for instance, is one of the most Hindi-speaking states in South India, where even villagers can converse in Hindi. Andhra Pradesh follows behind, and You don't encounter much opposition to the Hindi language in those states. I'm not entirely sure about Kerala, though.

Bangalore stands out as the best metro to live in, where you can find people proficient in multiple languages. Local Kannadigas often speak Hindi or, at the very least, make an effort to assist you even if they don't fully understand, unlike in Chennai.

Personally, I believe in encouraging my child to learn both Kannada and Hindi alongside our native Tamil language.

This is how some of our South Indian regional parties have propagated language hatred among the common people, claiming that the imposition of Hindi language will erode our culture and pride bla bla... Except in Tamil Nadu, most people in South India speak or understand Hindi. Telangana, for instance, is one of the most Hindi-speaking states in South India, where even villagers can converse in Hindi. Andhra Pradesh follows behind, and You don't encounter much opposition to the Hindi language in those states. I'm not entirely sure about Kerala, though.

Bangalore stands out as the best metro to live in, where you can find people proficient in multiple languages. Local Kannadigas often speak Hindi or, at the very least, make an effort to assist you even if they don't fully understand, unlike in Chennai.

Personally, I believe in encouraging my child to learn both Kannada and Hindi alongside our native Tamil language.
The hate for hindi in tamil nadu is incredible, just wov.

I have lived in hyd and I felt that it was a north indian city, everyone speaks hindi/urdu and no has issues reg language.

In kerala people don't speak hindi but don't hate it too.

Bang is a great city, but it's becoming a bit like tamil nadu, the kannadiga extremists who were breaking shops and billboards and I have heard from some my friends that the hate towards hindi has been increasing a lot

Growing up in bombay, i learnt punjabi my native language along with english, bombaywali hindi and passable marathi that I have almost forgotten having not lived in maharashtra for years

I think I'd like Hindi more if it wasn't forced down our throats. While I dislike the Dravidian propaganda as much as the next person (I'm not Tamil), I have to admit it didn't raise in a vacuum and is a reaction to the weird decision to try and force them to learn Hindi when they didn't want to.

I'd challenge any native Hindi speaker to take the central board syllabus fifth grade Hindi book and explain every word in there to me. That's the absurd situation we've brought ourselves to today.

Pakistan's gone down the same path with an even more absurd language.

Back