Ratan Tata, former Tata Group chairman, dies at 86

MP2011

Senior T20I Player
Runs
Post of the Week

Ratan Tata Dies: He became chairman of the $100 billion steel-to-software conglomerate in 1991 and ran the group founded by his great-grandfather more than a hundred years ago until 2012

Ratan Tata, chairman emeritus of one of India's biggest conglomerates, Tata Sons, has died at 86. Just on Monday, the industrialist in a social media post had dismissed speculation surrounding his health and had said he was undergoing routine medical investigations due to his age.

N Chandrasekaran, Chairman, Tata Sons, in a late night statement on Wednesday, announced the death of Mr Tata, hailing the industrialist's unwavering commitment to excellence, integrity, and innovation.

"It is with a profound sense of loss that we bid farewell to Mr. Ratan Naval Tata, a truly uncommon leader whose immeasurable contributions have shaped not only the Tata Group but also the very fabric of our nation," said Mr Chandrasekaran.

For the Tata Group, Mr. Tata was more than a chairperson. To me, he was a mentor, guide and friend. He inspired by example. With an unwavering commitment to excellence, integrity, and innovation, the Tata Group under his stewardship expanded its global footprint while always remaining true to its moral compass," said Mr Chandrasekaran.

Remembering Mr Tata's contribution to philanthropy, Mr Chandrasekharan said "from education to healthcare, his initiatives have left a deep-rooted mark that will benefit generations to come".

Last edited by a moderator:
RIP!

I have my highest admiration and deepest respect for the great man. Here's an Indian who goes beyond any religion and caste. It's a shame that people like Jawaharlal Nehru, India Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi have been honoured with Bharat Ratna but not him.​

A business tycoon with unparalelled integrity and honesty, a man who is loved and adored by people from all political spectrum, a son who has sacrificed his life for betterment of India.

RIP, sir.

RIP!

I have my highest admiration and deepest respect for the great man. Here's an Indian who goes beyond any religion and caste. It's a shame that people like Jawaharlal Nehru, India Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi have been honoured with Bharat Ratna but not him.​
Not a place to argue but Advani is the least deserving of all Bharat Ratna awardees.

Even less deserving than Rajiv Gandhi?
Yes.

Rajiv's political career was extremely short, just 11 years, so we were saved from mayhem he may have caused to the idea of India.

However, Advani spelled destruction in India from his destructive deas for multiple decades.

However, all said and done Rajiv Gandhi didn't deserve to be awarded Bharat Ratna, submissive decision by PVN Rao.

Yes.

Rajiv's political career was extremely short, just 11 years, so we were saved from mayhem he may have caused to the idea of India.

However, Advani spelled destruction in India from his destructive deas for multiple decades.

Guruji

He caused enough mayhem.

Defending Anti Sikh Riots.

Shahbano Case

Bofors

Involvement of Europe based middle men in every Indian deal.

IPKF in SL blunder

Nepal Blockade

Opening locks of the disputed structure

Isse jyada mayhem iss desh ko bardasht nahi hota.

Ratan Tata had been awarded following National Honours

1.Medal of the Oriental Republic of Uruguay

2. Knight commander of the British Empire

3. Grand Officer of Order of Merit of the
Italian Republic

4. Grand Cordon of the Order of the Rising Sun

5. Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the British Empire

6. Commander of the Legion of Honour

7. Officer of the Order of Australia

8. Padma Bhushan and Padma Vibhushan

Considering he wasn't a Head of State, the list is quite impressive.

Guruji

He caused enough mayhem.

Defending Anti Sikh Riots.

Shahbano Case

Bofors

Involvement of Europe based middle men in every Indian deal.

IPKF in SL blunder

Nepal Blockade

Opening locks of the disputed structure

Isse jyada mayhem iss desh ko bardasht nahi hota.
I guess you didn't follow Advani's political career then.

Bombay riots in '93 was entirely Advani's and Bal Thackrey's doing. And I need not tell you how destructive they proved to be for India.

Enough of digression!

Some gems from late Ratan Tata,

If u want to Walk Fast, Walk Alone. But - if u want to walk far, walk Together.

How strange it is:
We wish to wear high brands but we feel most comfortable in pajaymas.
We wish to sit in Taj & Marriot with elite people, but we enjoy roadside tea with friends and with people we love.
We wish to own big cars and go on long drives, yet we talk our heart out only while walking down a long road.
We have 64GB iPods filled with songs but sometimes a song on the radio brings a smile that can't be compared.

Buying Ford JLR was Tata's way of 'paying back'​

The story of two iconic brands Jaguar and Land Rover entering the Tata stable began with an insult Ratan Tata couldn't bear.

Back in 1998, the legendary industrialist launched his dream project, Tata Indica -- India's first hatchback with a diesel engine. But sales initially were slow and Tata Motors decided to sell off its fledgling car business within a year of its debut.

US auto giant Ford was seen as an ideal candidate.

The company acceded to a meeting requirement from Ford Motors. Officials of the US firm came to Bombay House for talks sometime in 1999.

During the meeting at the Tata headquarters, the American company evinced interest in buying out the business.

To take the deal forward, Ratan Tata and his team flew to Detroit to meet Bill Ford, then the chairman of Ford.

The meeting lasted about three hours but did not go well.

The American businessman was condescending and "humiliated" the Indian businessman, according to a person who attended the meeting.

"You do not know anything, why did you start the passenger car division at all," the Ford officials told their guests, and spoke about doing a favour to the Indian company by buying out the latter's business. The deal fell.

The team decided to return to India immediately after the meeting, which was described as "humiliating" by the person present. On the 90-minute flight taking them back to New York, a sombre Ratan Tata spoke very few words.

The mortifying experience only made Ratan Tata more focused on his goals.

He decided not to sell the unit and what followed was a classic example of a failure-turned success story.

Nine years later, Ford was on the verge of bankruptcy following the Great Recession of 2008.

Tata offered to buy two iconic brands in the Ford portfolio -- Jaguar and Land Rover.

The $2.3 billion all-cash deal was completed in June 2008 and Ford chairman Bill Ford thanked Tata, saying, "You are doing us a big favour by buying JLR'," Pravin Kadle, who was part of the team that travelled with Ratan Tata to the US in 1999, had recounted during a public event in 2015.

Post-acquisition, the Tata Group has scripted one of the most fabulous turnarounds in the auto industry and has been able to position the marquee British brands as formidable entities in the fiercely competitive global car market.

Even as Tata Motors has come a long way and gained market share in India, it continues to earn a significant part of revenues from the JLR.

Today, JLR is the backbone of Tata Motors.

RIP, Shri Ratan Tata Ji.
What a loss this is for India and Indians. A truly great personality who was down to earth humble despite his monumental achievements. His legacy will never die. People like Ratan Tata don't need Bharat Ratnas and other such government sponsored certificates. He is way above all these awards.

Can't believe some idiots from India are spewing venom on the departed soul on X even today. What wrong did he do?

I'm uncomfortable putting it here so soon after his death in what is essentially a eulogy thread but I'm not aligned with this total deification of him as a business, philanthropic and personal God. Maybe we can discuss it later in a thread once we're past this immediate outpouring of grief.

Of course I'm completely against the kind of nonsense from the guy you've posted.

That twitter handle itself tells you that he is a troll and just wants to malign Hindus.

I have not seen any Indian irrespective of religion have any kind of hate for Mr.Ratan Tata. They only praise him.

If we have to compile a Top 10 list for the most influential people in modern India, Mr.Tata will definitely feature in it. To me he is definitely a Top 5.

I'm uncomfortable putting it here so soon after his death in what is essentially a eulogy thread but I'm not aligned with this total deification of him as a business, philanthropic and personal God. Maybe we can discuss it later in a thread once we're past this immediate outpouring of grief.

Of course I'm completely against the kind of nonsense from the guy you've posted.
Which is fair but conspiracy theories are stupid, no country can do well without good industrialists and philanthropist.

lol have you seen leftist pages they are gone about hating him on instagram.
whoever hating this man are idiots. Don't take them seriously.

Theses days people's are getting views by posting negative things to earn the money

An all religious prayer was held for his funeral.

The man was a Parsi. Can't they just do a Parsi ritual? He was pretty secular in his outlook and views, but why induce this Sarva Dharma Sammelan every where?

Just give him a Parsi funeral and get it done.

6 Indian cricketers who worked with or were supported by the Ratan Tata’s Group

1) VVS Laxman – Received financial support early in his career from Tata.
2) Shardul Thakur – Supported by Tata’s initiatives for young athletes.
3) Ajit Agarkar – Benefited from Tata’s corporate engagements for financial stability.
4) Mohammad Kaif – Supported indirectly through Tata cricket sponsorships.
5) Robin Uthappa – Benefited from Tata's broader sports initiatives.
6) Yuvraj Singh – Supported through Tata’s medical facilities during his cancer battle

A great man! Ratan ji was one of a kind businessman loved by so many people. Ohm Santhi!

I generally like Tata's. For a project in my college days, I reached out to Tata group for some information. They sent me the details I wanted immediately. Also, they included a personal letter wishing me well signed by a top official. That gesture was so motivating. I think the culture came from the top.

Oh man, i was soo heart broken when Charlie Munger

He was an American Businessman who died and was not related to me in anyways, but was an American Businessman, so I had to pretend i was heart broken and affected by his death

An all religious prayer was held for his funeral.

The man was a Parsi. Can't they just do a Parsi ritual? He was pretty secular in his outlook and views, but why induce this Sarva Dharma Sammelan every where?

Just give him a Parsi funeral and get it done.

I may be wrong, but these things I suppose are planned in people's lifetime once the end appears near, specially for people of that stature. The team around them makes the call, no?

Oh man, i was soo heart broken when Charlie Munger

He was an American Businessman who died and was not related to me in anyways, but was an American Businessman, so I had to pretend i was heart broken and affected by his death
Yeah Charlie Munger eventhough great didn’t touch lives of people in India, he was a hedge fund owner not an industrialist.

Tata means more to India than BJP congress ever will but Pakistan has never had such a business man with that much philanthropy under his belt, so we get it.

Sal Khan with Khan academy also paid a tribute and if you have never used Khan academy as well, then great.

“I just learned of Ratan Tata's passing. He was an incredible human being with a lasting legacy of service to humanity. I am forever grateful that we had the chance to work together. Khan Academy India would not exist if not for his vision and belief in the potential of education.”

Yeah Charlie Munger eventhough great didn’t touch lives of people in India, he was a hedge fund owner not an industrialist.

Tata means more to India than BJP congress ever will but Pakistan has never had such a business man with that much philanthropy under his belt, so we get it.

Sal Khan with Khan academy also paid a tribute and if you have never used Khan academy as well, then great.

“I just learned of Ratan Tata's passing. He was an incredible human being with a lasting legacy of service to humanity. I am forever grateful that we had the chance to work together. Khan Academy India would not exist if not for his vision and belief in the potential of education.”
why are you being so bothered? So now if someone doesnt pay condolences to a person unrelated to you, you will go snark me?

The fact that you had to post, we have so and so and Pakistan doesnt (do google edhi if you really care about philantrophy), just shows that its not his death you guys are mourning about, its just another way to show off and get an excuse to talk about another succesfull India as it again helps boost and praise the country.

Anyways, if we are to pretend, let me sob about Charlie Munger

The fact that you had to post, we have so and so and Pakistan doesnt (do google edhi if you really care about philantrophy), just shows that its not his death you guys are mourning about, its just another way to show off and get an excuse to talk about another succesfull India as it again helps boost and praise the country.

"The jealous are troublesome to others, but a torment to themselves.' - William Penn

Some of the quotes from India Today are utterly false.
why are you being so bothered? So now if someone doesnt pay condolences to a person unrelated to you, you will go snark me?

Suddenly Indians who decided to seek a better life in the West feel all Indian again.

I know about Edhi sahab, I have nothing but admiration for him as to when I posted on his thread with all the respect.

But you are here posting about Charlie on Ratan Tata’s death thread, how do you want people to respond on that?

I know about Edhi sahab, I have nothing but admiration for him as to when I posted on his thread with all the respect.

But you are here posting about Charlie on Ratan Tata’s death thread, how do you want people to respond on that?
where did i even post my condolences for some random rich indian guy who you or me are not related to?

Why cant I post about Charlie? Are we suppose to make new threads for each billionaire that dies this year?

Or is it because the thread was less about condolences or more about, hey look a very rich Indian that makes me feel proud about being Indian today.
The thread is less about condolences and more about blind nationalism.

His company did nothing but destroy the UK steel industry. He might have been a hero for Indians (even those without Indian citizenship) but to the UK, he was just another foreign businessmen who bailed when things got tough.

His company did nothing but destroy the UK steel industry. He might have been a hero for Indians (even those without Indian citizenship) but to the UK, he was just another foreign businessmen who bailed when things got tough.
. its a fraction of what the raj did to indian textile industry.

Anyway, He is Indian and did good things for India.

Talk about relevant people.

Tatas employ more people in UK than any pakistani ever will. Pakistanis are irrelevant in comparison to Tatas when it comes to industry.

Tatas employ 60000 people in UK.
That’s great, we get it there’s no comparison between Tata and India and IT parks and everything else. Why don’t you go compare yourself to China or the U.S.?

whoever hating this man are idiots. Don't take them seriously.

Theses days people's are getting views by posting negative things to earn the money
This is basically what you’re doing in all the other threads

That’s great, we get it there’s no comparison between Tata and India and IT parks and everything else. Why don’t you go compare yourself to China or the U.S.?

My Condolences to Ratan Tatas family. As a Non-Indian, li admired him, he looked a decent man and obviously Indians are proud of him. His achievements speak for themselves. I wish i had a chance to meet such people. These are the ones who help you grow.

A polite note, if an individual had a certain opinion regarding something or someone then question him, dont bring Pakistanis into it, remember where you are.

Billionaires are a necessary evil in a growing economy. To his credit, Tata was probably the least evil of them in a country like India where they are not kept on a tight leash like China.

Tata leadership to remain in the family

A day after the death of India's most globally-recognised tycoon Ratan Tata, his half-brother Noel Tata has been named as the new chairperson of Tata Trusts, media reports say.

Tata Trusts is the company’s philanthropic arm which holds a majority stake of 66% in Tata Sons - one of India's largest business groups, with annual revenues in excess of $100bn (£76.5bn).

Noel Tata, 76, is the son of Naval Tata, who was also Ratan’s father, and Simone Tata.

He is on the boards of many Tata companies, including Tata Trusts, and will now step up to lead its charities.

He is the chairman of Tata International Limited, Voltas and Tata Investment Corporation and the vice-chairman at Tata Steel and Titan Company Limited.

He also heads Tata’s massive apparel retail company, Trent Limited, which has seen tremendous growth since he took its leadership in 2014.

The company operates hugely successful fashion and lifestyle retail formats such as Westside, Zudio and Utsa.

From 2010 to 2021, Noel Tata ran the group's global trading and distribution firm - Tata International - whose revenue rose from $500m to over $3bn during this time.

On Friday, CNBC-TV18 reported that Tata Trusts had unanimously elected Noel Tata as its chairman.

Noel Tata's three children are also trustees on the boards of some charities linked to the family.

His son Neville is head of Star Bazaar, the group’s chain of retail supermarkets. His daughter Leah Tata is in charge of the Gateway brand under its The Indian Hotels Company. His other daughter, Maya Tata, works at Tata Digital.

Ratan Tata was unmarried, had no children and had not publicly named a successor and his death had sparked widespread interest in who would take over the Tata Trusts as his successor.

In 2012, he stepped down as the chairman of Tata Sons, handing over the reins to Cyrus Mistry. In 2016, Mistry was unexpectedly removed and Tata returned as interim chairman for a couple of years. In 2017, N Chandrasekaran was named chairman, a post he still holds.

Ratan Tata then became chairman emeritus of the group, a title he held until his death. He also remained chairman of the philanthropic arm until the end.

BBC

India and China and US got independence at the same time?

Were they once together?

Did i reply to a Chinese or American?

India and China and US got independence at the same time?

Were they once together?

Did i reply to a Chinese or American?
Ok then, India can feel great about their economy because they compare it to Pakistan and nobody else.

where did i even post my condolences for some random rich indian guy who you or me are not related to?

Why cant I post about Charlie? Are we suppose to make new threads for each billionaire that dies this year?

Or is it because the thread was less about condolences or more about, hey look a very rich Indian that makes me feel proud about being Indian today.
The thread is less about condolences and more about blind nationalism.
There is literally a thread on rich people, but you wanted to make a snarky remark , did Charlie die yesterday? He died an year ago if you were genuine you would had done it then

A polite note, if an individual had a certain opinion regarding something or someone then question him, dont bring Pakistanis into it, remember where you are.
That’s a fair point.

Nah man UK steel industry has been ripped apart by indigenous Brits. Same with Tetley and Land Rover. Without Tata they would have dead in the water a long time ago.

There is literally a thread on rich people, but you wanted to make a snarky remark , did Charlie die yesterday? He died an year ago if you were genuine you would had done it then
so i can only give my condolences to charlie in a certain thread at a certain time?

You seem to be bothered that why the attention is shifting from here.

Again, is this really a condolences thread or another Indian nationalism promotion thread? Maybe lets stop pretending for once atleast.

so i can only give my condolences to charlie in a certain thread at a certain time?

Again, is this really a condolences thread or another Indian nationalism promotion thread? Maybe lets stop pretending for once atleast.
Go ahead, I have overreacted and tried to get you to understand but it’s alright.
It’s pointless, if you want to post condolences for someone that died an year ago, it’s your choice.

Most of us didn’t even see this thread, the posts were initially in 100 rich ppl thread and @MP2011 is the last person to flaunt nationalism

I may be wrong, but these things I suppose are planned in people's lifetime once the end appears near, specially for people of that stature. The team around them makes the call, no?
If Ratan Tata wanted it, then no problem. However, Indian governments have a habit of forcing this all faith prayers in everything.

Nah man UK steel industry has been ripped apart by indigenous Brits. Same with Tetley and Land Rover. Without Tata they would have dead in the water a long time ago.

Good to see a Brit pakistani actually accepting that Tata did well to turn around few British industries.

Major Sahab, let’s all take a deep breath and step back for a moment. Emotions are running high as Tata’s passing has us all on edge. I myself am still reeling from Mr. Munger’s passing and now I also have to worry about the impact of Ratan sahab’s passing on the British steel industry so this is just adding to our collective emotional trauma.

But for Israel, Indians are second class citizens as per pper's rt .how can they acknowledge ?
Mr Tata left a positive legacy for humanity.

I'm not sure why you think acknowledgement from this monster can mean something positive and something Indians are happy about.

Tata was one million times the man that this child killer could hope to be.

Good to see a Brit pakistani actually accepting that Tata did well to turn around few British industries.
Facts are facts.

The man is a legend in my eyes.

A man who born in British India transformed his family company from just India centric to globally recognized and saved many prestigious British brands from death. Not through any form of stealth not by becoming British and working from within like many politicians get praise ( Sunak, Khan etc) but by remaining true to India and through business acumen.

What a role model.

Facts are facts.

The man is a legend in my eyes.

A man who born in British India transformed his family company from just India centric to globally recognized and saved many prestigious British brands from death. Not through any form of stealth not by becoming British and working from within like many politicians get praise ( Sunak, Khan etc) but by remaining true to India and through business acumen.

What a role model.

66 per cent of Tatas holdings now held by charitable trusts.

You earn here and you leave it here. So leave it for the not so fortunate ones.

Mr Tata left a positive legacy for humanity.

I'm not sure why you think acknowledgement from this monster can mean something positive and something Indians are happy about.

Tata was one million times the man that this child killer could hope to be.
Agenda.. it needs peddling. Facts be damned

Back