"Really happy to be out here in America after being depressed in Pakistan for 2 years" : Sami Aslam

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
"Really happy to be out here in America after being depressed in Pakistan for 2 years" : Sami Aslam

After two outstanding innings of 82 and 70 for Pakistan in the 3rd Test against England in 2016 at Edgbaston, it appeared that Sami Aslam's international career was about to take off and the left-handed opener was well on his way to becoming an established name in the Pakistan Test side. But, despite being the fourth-highest run-scorer with 864 runs during the 2019/20 Quaid-e-Azam Trophy, he was ignored from selection for Pakistan's subsequent tours of England and New Zealand and decided to quit Pakistan and head for America.

In an an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, Aslam spoke in detail about the reasons behind his move to play cricket in the USA, the alleged culture which forced him to make the decision to leave Pakistan cricket, the disappointing responses to his plight and allegations by officials, why he feels that other players will follow his example and his aspirations to represent USA in cricket.

57a3fee36affa.jpg

PakPassion.net: Why did you turn your back on Pakistan cricket and head to America?

Sami Aslam:
I was tired of performing regularly for the last 5 or 6 years in all formats in domestic cricket yet being ignored by the selectors. If I was picked, I’d play a couple of matches and then get dropped. I was even dropped after having performed well in tough conditions. There were players who would flop in 10 matches and still get picked, but if I failed even a couple of times, I’d be left out. There seemed to be different parameters for me and different parameters for others. So, I had that feeling that the selectors didn’t want to pick me and were just looking for excuses to not have to pick me.

PakPassion.net: Do you think your domestic performances before you left for America were good enough for a recall to international cricket?

Sami Aslam:
In the 2017 edition of the Pakistan One-Day Cup, I scored 169 in one game and hit 109 in the final, yet they didn’t pick me for the Pakistan One-day side. I scored 864 runs in the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy in the 2019/20 season and ended up with the highest average of 78.54 in that tournament. Then the selectors picked an extended squad for the tour of England and I was ignored, so I felt that I had to do something as these guys were just ruining my career. But even then, I waited for the squad announcement for the tour of New Zealand in 2020 and once again I was ignored, yet some players were picked for that series who had very little experience of domestic cricket and had no performances at all or had a one or two scores of note.

PakPassion.net: Did you feel that the selectors and management gave you ample opportunities to prove yourself?

Sami Aslam:
No, not at all. After my treatment and the lack of opportunities I knew that my time was up and that I wasn’t going to get a fair chance. I thought about my future and realised that I would just be playing some domestic cricket for now and I was actually concerned that they wouldn’t pick me even in domestic cricket in the future.

Even when I was playing for Balochistan in the National T20 Cup in 2020, I was demoted to the second XI for no reason. Nobody explained to me why I was dropped, despite the first XI being so weak.

PakPassion.net: You seem very disillusioned by Pakistan cricket, what was going wrong?

Sami Aslam:
It’s all about the culture of “liking and disliking” individuals. If your face fits, you are fine, if not, they will find any way to side-line you. I’ll give you the example of T20 cricket, where I was a solid performer in T20 tournaments in Pakistan and then suddenly the PSL comes along, and I am deemed not good enough for this format. Some guys have been picked for the PSL who weren’t even being picked for club cricket, yet I wasn’t even picked as a supplementary player in 6 tournaments. That is clear evidence that PSL selection is about who is well-in with the owners and the team management, and my face didn’t fit so that’s why I never got the chance to play in the PSL.

Capture-5.jpg

PakPassion.net: Why do you think your face didn’t fit when it came to opportunities and selection?

Sami Aslam:
I wasn’t one of those players who would keep phoning the coach and praising him. I have always relied on my on-field performances rather than sucking-up to coaches or team management for no reason. In addition, some of my competitors had a strong influence off the field and ensured that I wasn’t looked at favourably. They knew that if they gave me a proper chance and if I succeeded then it would be difficult to drop me and subsequently their spot in the playing eleven would be in jeopardy.

PakPassion.net: What was your relationship with the coaches you played under and could you not speak to them about your concerns?

Sami Aslam:
The coaches just want their egos massaged by the players and for the captains to be dummies. Let me give you an example, I was appointed captain of Southern Punjab when Shan Masood went on tour with Pakistan. My performances were good and the Head Coach was Abdur Rehman. He was quiet when others were captaining the team, but as soon as I became captain, he kept on interfering with my decisions on the field including field-placings, just to undermine me. He wanted ridiculous fields set which I ignored. He was looking for a reason to have a go at me whether I was batting, captaining or in the field and even had a go at me for not attempting to win a match when a ridiculous amount of runs was needed from a few overs when the light was closing in.

He had me removed as the captain as he had been looking for an excuse to have me removed from the role and complained that I wasn’t following his instructions. He had no clue about coaching yet kept on retaining his position despite so many other domestic coaches being replaced.

PakPassion.net: Did you not explain your position to anyone above the Head Coach and speak about your treatment?

Sami Aslam:
I telephoned Nadeem Khan up who at that time was Coordinator of the National Men's Selection Committee at the time and stated what had occurred and told him about my removal as Southern Punjab skipper. Nadeem suggested that I put my grievance in writing. I said to him, no problem, I will send you video evidence too, can I have your e-mail address. In turn, instead of giving me his e-mail address, he said give your grievance correspondence to the Head Coach, the very same person who the grievance was about. So, I followed Nadeem Khan’s advice and gave my letter to Abdur Rehman. His response was, ok you have made a big mistake, let’s see how much cricket you play in Pakistan in future. After that, Rehman made my life hell regarding selecting me and would continually taunt me. There was no investigation, no inquiry into what happened, no inquiry into the bullying, nothing at all. I later learnt that Nadeem Khan and Abdur Rehman were very good friends and that’s why there was no investigation.

PakPassion.net: Do you think players are reluctant to speak out for fear of reprisals in domestic cricket?

Sami Aslam:
Absolutely. Everyone knows what’s going on, but people are reluctant to speak up because they know they will be dropped. Some of the coaches speak a good game but have no clue about the tactical or technical aspects of cricket. They have friends in higher places and as soon as a player has a grievance with them, they blacklist that player and make that player’s life hell.

5d7d4acbac944.jpg

PakPassion.net: Before you left for America, did you discuss your problems with anyone at PCB?

Sami Aslam:
I spoke to so many people. I asked a lot of questions about why I wasn’t being picked, why I was being treated in this way, but nobody had any answers. Nobody would take any responsibility and they would blame somebody else. Whereas some players are living-off one innings, I performed regularly but still couldn’t get picked even in domestic cricket.

PakPassion.net: Do you not think about what could have been if you had been a regular pick in Test cricket?

Sami Aslam:
I do. By now I would have been a recognised Test opener with a lot of experience under my belt. I was picked for some very tough series, especially away from home and I believe that had I been given more opportunities and some relatively easier series like other openers have, then I would have firmly been established as a Test opener. The only way was up after those tough series, but that chance never came. Look at Babar Azam, he had a tough introduction to Test cricket and then found his feet after he was given time. You have to give Test openers opportunities and time to establish themselves, but I was never given that time.

PakPassion.net: You must be looking at the recent Test openers used by Pakistan and thinking I should be out there instead of them?

Sami Aslam:
I was satisfied with how my Test career had gone in the first 13 matches. I was averaging 31 which isn’t great but given the opposition and the venues, it wasn’t a disaster. But despite that, I knew the selectors weren’t going to pick me in future and I would be wasting my time by staying in Pakistan and just hoping that one day I might be selected.

PakPassion.net: What are your thoughts on the cricket set-up in America?

Sami Aslam:
It’s a wonderful set-up. People think that there is very little cricket being played in America, but cricket is growing rapidly over here. I’ve just returned from a Twenty20 tournament in Houston where there were 20 to 30 players from the Caribbean Premier League taking part. In my team we had Awais Zia, Mohammad Ilyas, Umer Khan, Hammad Azam and Rakheem Cornwall. I ended up being the second-best batsman in the tournament, scoring two fifties and a hundred.

PakPassion.net: I guess by playing in America, it opens up other opportunities to play around the world?

Sami Aslam:
Absolutely, I’ve already had a couple of offers to play in the CPL. Two CPL teams have been in touch with USA Cricket regarding my availability. I was offered nothing when in Pakistan especially in T20 cricket and now doors are already opening up for me which is fantastic. I could play in the CPL as a part of the United States Associate team quota, however, I need to think about the CPL offer as currently my immigration status only allows me to leave America for a maximum of 2 months in the year and if I play in the CPL then that would restrict my chances of going to Pakistan to visit family.

PakPassion.net: Have many Pakistani players been in touch with you about also moving to America?

Sami Aslam:
I guarantee you that any Pakistani player who is not centrally contracted will want to settle in America and play cricket here. I have had calls from over 100 First-class players in Pakistan exploring the possibility of them settling in America. Even the best performers currently in Pakistan domestic cricket are keen to move here. At the moment USA cricket are recruiting a lot of South African and Australian players, but a lot of Pakistani players have tried and are desperate to move here. There is a lot of competition to move out here and at the moment not Pakistani players are being selected although one or two are close to being signed-up in the coming days.

PakPassion.net: There seems to be a lot of investment in cricket in America at the moment?

Sami Aslam:
30 or 40 foreign players have arrived in America recently. A few former Under-19 Indian players have also arrived, including Unmukt Chand, Smit Patel and Harmeet Singh. There are many players from South Africa over here now who have played a lot of First-class cricket in their homeland. Former New Zealand all-rounder Corey Anderson is also here. The set-up and system are very impressive and well structured. USA Cricket is really putting in a huge effort to improve cricket in America and to move it forward. It will take time for them to reach the higher levels, but the standard of cricket in America is improving fast.

There are trainers and good coaches also out here, some of whom have previously worked in the Indian Premier League. J Arunkumar is the USA Head Coach and he was formerly the Kings XI Punjab’s batting coach in the 2017 IPL season. He has also coached in the Ranji Trophy and he’s an excellent coach.

There are tournaments regularly held around the country and leagues are played at weekends, so there’s quite a lot of cricket being played.

614300624.jpg

PakPassion.net: Why has Pakistan struggled in recent years to find solid and reliable Test opening batsmen?

Sami Aslam:
The biggest problem is that the people they should be backing and giving opportunities to are not allowed to settle and after a couple of low scores they were dropped. Now the selectors speak about giving players proper opportunities, well that wasn’t the case in the past when they would side-line any decent opening batsman if he had two low scores. You will never develop good cricketers if the culture of favouritism isn’t eradicated. The favourites can fail in 20 matches and still get selected, but the batsmen who you dislike, the minute they fail, they are thrown out of the team. Look at the example of Fawad Alam, they kept on saying he had flaws and wouldn’t pick him. Now where are those faults, Fawad’s still the same player that you ignored for so long.

PakPassion.net: Are you planning to represent the American national team in future?

Sami Aslam:
That is the direction and plan yes. There is no point looking back now at what might have been. I was initially given a 3-year contract by USA Cricket. Some people felt that I would have to work in addition to playing cricket, but that is not the case, the contract is just to play cricket.

There is a 3-year eligibility criteria and after that I will qualify to play for America in November 2023. I have also started the process of obtaining a green card and that will enable my family to come to America too.

PakPassion.net: It’s early days in your life in America, but are there any regrets about leaving Pakistan?

Sami Aslam:
Not even 1% regret. I am really happy to be out here in America after being depressed in Pakistan for 2 years. I was in a bad place due to the coaches and events in Pakistan and the way they treated me. I have absolutely no regrets at all and I am very pleased with life at the moment.

Last edited:
The title made me chuckle. I think there is some truth to his claim that the coaches in Pakistan probably treated him poorly. There are many issues with our cricket and our domestic coaches generally being terrible is one of them.

Terribly mistreated

While favourties Shafiq and Masood get nonstop chances

Really spicy interview. No holds barred

Agreed, this is the image of Pakistan Cricket that I have come to know over the last few years.

All talk but no action, should be a slap in the face for Wasim Khan.

I have had calls from over 100 First-class players in Pakistan exploring the possibility of them settling in America. Even the best performers currently in Pakistan domestic cricket are keen to move here. At the moment USA cricket are recruiting a lot of South African and Australian players, but a lot of Pakistani players have tried and are desperate to move here. There is a lot of competition to move out here and at the moment not Pakistani players are being selected although one or two are close to being signed-up in the coming days.

This is going big.

A very interesting interview.

Nadeem Khan and Abdur Rehman need to be ashamed of themselves if Sami Aslam is speaking the truth.

I think he left a bit too early as there was a high chance for him to make the squad vs SA itself after Shan was dropped. Maybe the opportunity available in US was for time being as surely when you have given so many years dreaming about playing for Pakistan surely waiting a year or two at this age to get another go in Pak colours wouldnt have been the end of the world.

Sami Aslam has played 13 tests and there is no doubt his treatment could have been better but, he atleast still got selected and got opportunities unlike quite a few players.

30 or 40 foreign players have arrived in America recently. A few former Under-19 Indian players have also arrived, including Unmukt Chand, Smit Patel and Harmeet Singh. There are many players from South Africa over here now who have played a lot of First-class cricket in their homeland. Former New Zealand all-rounder Corey Anderson is also here.

Doesnt Indian domestic circuit pay better now than before? Is Unmukt Chand not making even domestic teams now?

Good for him that he's doing well in the US. But he needs to stop pretending like he was the second coming of Sachin Tendulkar. His test record speaks for itself, as do his performances in test cricket.

Was he unfairly treated? For sure. He had a great season and should have been a shoe-in for test selection.

But then again, so are many other players. And other players are treated unfairly season after season. Not just one year. Case in point: Fawad Alam, a guy who has been treated more unfairly than anyone in Pakistan. But I never heard him express any frustrations.

Guys like Sami need to atleast stop this charade of wanting to play for their country when its obvious that financial incentives are much more important to them.

Guys who want to play for their country spend their entire lives trying to get that opportunity. The Fawad Alams and Amol Muzumdars of the world don't complain and moan. They just keep their head down and do their job. And there's a great deal to admire about people with that kind of character.

I will always have the highest amount of respect for guys like that rather than guys like Sami Aslam.

Last edited:
I have had calls from over 100 First-class players in Pakistan exploring the possibility of them settling in America. Even the best performers currently in Pakistan domestic cricket are keen to move here. At the moment USA cricket are recruiting a lot of South African and Australian players, but a lot of Pakistani players have tried and are desperate to move here. There is a lot of competition to move out here and at the moment not Pakistani players are being selected although one or two are close to being signed-up in the coming days.

This is going big.

Majority of these 100 he is taking about most likely be spent forces of past years or the ones who struggle to make even the 2nd XI. Even some of them are they are not going to be selecting that many players (Lol! Sami hyping it up like no tmw) as he has mentioned they are not selecting more Pak players currently.

Yes one or two he is talking about might be decent guys, thats about it.

Last edited:
30 or 40 foreign players have arrived in America recently. A few former Under-19 Indian players have also arrived, including Unmukt Chand, Smit Patel and Harmeet Singh. There are many players from South Africa over here now who have played a lot of First-class cricket in their homeland. Former New Zealand all-rounder Corey Anderson is also here.

Doesnt Indian domestic circuit pay better now than before? Is Unmukt Chand not making even domestic teams now?

Now there's a name I haven't heard in a very long time. IIRC he was one of India's highly touted future prospects at one point and if I'm not wrong their U-19 WC winning captain in 2012.

Considering the fact that he hasn't played a single List A or domestic T20 in 2 years I can't say I blame him for taking this opportunity.

He dropped from India-A and IPL.
He was constantly getting dropped by Delhi in domestic cricket, now he is playing for Uttarakhand.

He is done.

I think he left a bit too early as there was a high chance for him to make the squad vs SA itself after Shan was dropped. Maybe the opportunity available in US was for time being as surely when you have given so many years dreaming about playing for Pakistan surely waiting a year or two at this age to get another go in Pak colours wouldnt have been the end of the world.

Sami Aslam has played 13 tests and there is no doubt his treatment could have been better but, he atleast still got selected and got opportunities unlike quite a few players.

Sami can pay lip-service all he wants but he is not fooling anyone when it comes to his intentions.

He got offered a chance to make money and go abroad and he took it. He isn't the first one to do it and he certainly won't be the last. But he needs to stop pretending like he cares about playing for Pakistan more than he cares about making money. Because nobody is believing that.

He dropped from India-A and IPL.
He was constantly getting dropped by Delhi in domestic cricket, now he is playing for Uttarakhand.

He is done.

Thanks for the info, I followed his career a bit until last 3-4 years where he completely went out of radar. I remember watching him at U-19 WC and he was being considered the next star. I guess we have seen this happen with many that they look a million bucks at junior level and then sometimes struggle to carry on with that initial hype and natural pressure associated with it.

Long story short, everyone else is to blame for my shortcomings.

Sami Aslam is seriously asking why he wasn't picked for the Balochistan T20 side ? He was slow for Tests let alone T20s.

His record may have suffered for playing on some tough tours, but he got the chance to face Sri Lanka on dead UAE pitches in 2017 and could only muster an average of 23.

One only has to look at the likes of Fawad Alam, Sadaf Hussain, Tabish Khan, Aizaz Cheema and many others who hardly complained for receiving few international opportunities despite amassing impressive domestic numbers.

Frankly, Sami Aslam can stay there in the United States, we don't need anyone playing for Pakistan with this rotten, prima donna attitude which is funny because he batted with all the urgency of a constipated slug.

All those who criticised SA players for going Kolpak route and talk about players choosing money have to say about those domestic cricketers contacting Sami about moving to USA. Bet those people will stay silent on this.

He didn't have a great record but he did show some promise and did have a good domestic season. He looks a better player than Imran Butt and Shan Masood. Let's be honest. Only issue I have is how he seems to blame everyone else and not look at himself.

He's washed up player.. Didn't hear his name last couple of years anywhere.. Surprised to see Corey Anderson also there..

My performances were good and the Head Coach was Abdur Rehman. He was quiet when others were captaining the team, but as soon as I became captain, he kept on interfering with my decisions on the field including field-placings, just to undermine me. He wanted ridiculous fields set which I ignored

Lol! Abul Rehman has been there in the coaching setup for around 1.5 decades now or even more. There is certain hierarchy, teamwork and communication involved in every field of life. Ignoring a work related thing because you think it is ridiculous is height of unprofessionalism. Even if I consider Abdur Rehman had some personal grudge with Sami, undermining his role by ignoring his suggestions is last thing you want to do.

If you want to so such things, not being in the good books of others shouldnt surprise you. It wasnt just Abdul Rehman, he had issues with Baluchistan management as well.

He might have been poorly treated but, his attitude was far from ideal as well.

Last edited:
Whether going to USA is the right thing for him to do or not is another matter however he is right, good players dont always get the opportunities because they dont have the same relations with the selectors or with the owners of the franchises. IT could become a kolpak situation whereby South africans were moving to England because of lack of opportunities, we all know how it turned out for Kevin Pieterson.

Good to hear he’s happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Sami heading to America is just about money.

He had been unhappy long before the USA Cricket offer came about and there was a lot going on.

The thing that is most worrying is what appears to be the lack of interest from senior officials when players have a grievance.

All those who criticised SA players for going Kolpak route and talk about players choosing money have to say about those domestic cricketers contacting Sami about moving to USA. Bet those people will stay silent on this.

He didn't have a great record but he did show some promise and did have a good domestic season. He looks a better player than Imran Butt and Shan Masood. Let's be honest. Only issue I have is how he seems to blame everyone else and not look at himself.
Terrible player. He stunk up the place with his dead-bat batting during the Australian tour in 2016/2017, while he complains of not getting easy chances yet bombed spectacularly against Sri Lanka in the UAE with an average of 20-odd. Clearly remember him struggling big time against their spinners.

His record is nothing special, that he believes he deserved special treatment. No one in their right mind would select Sami Aslam for the PSL, when consistent domestic LOI giants like Khurram Manzoor have not managed to hold down a spot aswell.

Enlightened brat, who got a chance to make money in the US and took it, and now wants people to believe Pakistan cricket pushed him away to take the focus away from the actual motive.

Terrible player. He stunk up the place with his dead-bat batting during the Australian tour in 2016/2017, while he complains of not getting easy chances yet bombed spectacularly against Sri Lanka in the UAE with an average of 20-odd. Clearly remember him struggling big time against their spinners.

His record is nothing special, that he believes he deserved special treatment. No one in their right mind would select Sami Aslam for the PSL, when consistent domestic LOI giants like Khurram Manzoor have not managed to hold down a spot aswell.

Enlightened brat, who got a chance to make money in the US and took it, and now wants people to believe Pakistan cricket pushed him away to take the focus away from the actual motive.

I don't like his attitude but he did score runs in domestic cricket and players who didn't perform as well in domestic cricket got chances.

It's a profound failure by the PCB to not manage the grievances of one of the few openers that was performing in first-class cricket. Aslam does come across as a difficult personality, but that doesn't excuse Nadeem Khan for his careless disregard for a player that seemed to be getting bullied by his coach. Utterly unprofessional behaviour and no amount of bleating about Aslam's low strike-rate or attitude can excuse that fact.

You can’t deny there is always favouritism with Pakistani selectors and team management - some players like Hafeez or Shan Masood are treated like royalty and they give every opportunity for these players to stay in the team even when they underperformed — but others like Fawad Alam, Sami Aslam, Asim Kamal was another decent batsman some years back, it’s like the selectors and team management are looking for the slightest excuse to drop them.

Surprised that he didn't get a chance to play in PSL.

His game wasn't really suited to it, he was a test match grinder, and a pretty decent one at that. Although after a great start he seemed to hit a wall and got dropped.

I'm sure his grievances might have substance, but I don't think he was ever a T20 player.

glad hes happy in life and doing well in the USA. instead PCB have gone with one season domestic wonders like imam and now imran butt to try and plug gaps in test side. its a shame that alot of pakistan cricket selections are barely made on merit or real substance.

just to put his statement about not getting a fair run into context, he has played more tests than any other opener in pakistans history without scoring a hundred. fawad is the only one who could complain about being mistreated.

Several cricketers have spoken out against the culture within Pakistan cricket in recent years. Another former player has given a statement regarding his time in the Pakistan cricket team as he described his experience. Former batsman Sami Aslam, who was also the captain of the Pakistan U-19 cricket team at the 2014 Cricket World Cup, has spoken against the ‘favoritism culture’ that existed in the Pakistan team before.

Aslam said in an interview with PakPassion.net that even though the selectors are speaking about giving players opportunities now, it wasn’t the case when he was part of it. Sami Aslam’s last series for Pakistan was in October 2017 vs Sri Lanka.

"The biggest problem is that the people they should be backing and giving opportunities to are not allowed to settle and after a couple of low scores they were dropped. Now the selectors speak about giving players proper opportunities, well that wasn’t the case in the past when they would side-line any decent opening batsman if he had two low scores. You will never develop good cricketers if the culture of favouritism isn’t eradicated," said Sami Aslam.

Aslam continued to say that some players lived off one innings while he was even getting picked in domestic cricket.

"I spoke to so many people. I asked a lot of questions about why I wasn’t being picked, why I was being treated in this way, but nobody had any answers. Nobody would take any responsibility and they would blame somebody else. Whereas some players are living-off one innings, I performed regularly but still couldn’t get picked even in domestic cricket," Sami Aslam added.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...members-his-playing-days-101620485465575.html

Last edited:
When Sami 1st came, he had a good balance between defense and attack but as he played more, he become a dreadful parody, with no intent, looking to dead bat everything. I for one, was glad that he was dropped.

A breakdown of his 13 Tests:

Bangladesh 2
UAE 5
England 2
New Zealand 2
Australia 2

The way his Test career was terminated was ridiculous.

The way he played in England in 2016 was exceptional. He left the ball better than any Pakistani opener since Taufeeq Umar in South Africa in 2003.

He could have partnered Cook in the England side in that series and he would not have looked out of place.

Sure he had a dip in form starting with the the Australian tour where Hazlewood got the better of him numerous times, but he clearly deserved a lot more chances than the 4-5 Tests in UAE that he got.

Pakistan invested 8 years in a joke of an opener like Shan Masood who has no talent to excel at Test level, but they didn’t have the patience to give Sami Aslam 3-4 years.

He along with Imam should have been our Test opening pair today.

I remember sitting in the press box at Edgbaston in 2016 and the English media guys were raving about Sami and saying that he was the best young opening batsman they had seen for a long time after he scored 70 and 82 against England.

How things turn out in Pakistan cricket is never predictable.

just to put his statement about not getting a fair run into context, he has played more tests than any other opener in pakistans history without scoring a hundred. fawad is the only one who could complain about being mistreated.

Wow didn't know that fact. That's pretty ordinary yet the way Sami Aslam is carrying on it's like we've missed out on Gordon Greenidge.

Although he seems like a temperamental (a bit hot headed maybe) and disillusioned about his standing as a player and his performance, I do believe there is some good amount of truth in his claims. But as with everything, not 100% is going to be what he perceives. Not everyone has the patience and work ethic of Fawad and it's okay to be come short in some regards in life. I can see myself being super annoyed as well if i were in his shoes. There is no arguing the fact that our cricket just like every other industry and businesses etc, is full with corruption and nepotism. It's not just a problem for Pakistan but the whole world as well, the difference is just the degree of it. I think he took up a good deal in USA, 100K USD per year isn't that bad a deal and he can have a good life there and maybe can pursue another career in future as well. So in a way I'm happy for him.

From a Pakistani cricket fan's perspective, I think he was easily the best test opener in Pakistan and we should have persisted with him. Inzamam's obsession with asking him to play more aggressively was very hypocritical when he's always seemed contended with his nephew's SR. But he did have some deficiencies which probably in a better cricketing structure would have been rectified and he most probably did have some attitude issues as well. His ouster could also have been avoided if Mickey's infatuation with Sharjeel in Tests hadn't taken his toll. By 2019, think his disciplinary problems had been becoming quite common

Coming back to Abdur Rehman and Nadeem Khan, I've never really liked either. Abdur Rehman was one of the people involved in PSL I believe where he along with the coaching staff were unaware of certain rules that cost his team a few matches, I can't really recall the exact thing or time. Plus I found his coaching philosophy to be pretty school boyish, rather than focusing on technical stuff and remedying the younger players of their deficiencies, he followed a very spiritual method of coaching. Pray for your partner's success rather than yourself was his mantra and stuff. His contribution to Pak Cricket have been Imran Khan(the slow delivery one), Iftikhar Ahmed and Rafatullah Mohammand.

Coming to Nadeem Khan, some people speak highly of him, but I have never really liked the Khan brothers duo. Nadeem Khan has used his influence in getting kids of his friends selected in various clubs(I know for a fact about two in Islamabad).

Last edited:
The way his Test career was terminated was ridiculous.

The way he played in England in 2016 was exceptional. He left the ball better than any Pakistani opener since Taufeeq Umar in South Africa in 2003.

He could have partnered Cook in the England side in that series and he would not have looked out of place.

Sure he had a dip in form starting with the the Australian tour where Hazlewood got the better of him numerous times, but he clearly deserved a lot more chances than the 4-5 Tests in UAE that he got.

Pakistan invested 8 years in a joke of an opener like Shan Masood who has no talent to excel at Test level, but they didn’t have the patience to give Sami Aslam 3-4 years.

He along with Imam should have been our Test opening pair today.

The much celebrated Mickey Arthur dropped him. Guess why? Because he was caught enjoying chicken karhai in his room and cheating on the teams diet plans

The much celebrated Mickey Arthur dropped him. Guess why? Because he was caught enjoying chicken karhai in his room and cheating on the teams diet plans

We give second chances to match-fixers and also certain rubbish players who are both match-fixers and obese, but somehow, a promising young Test opener had his career terminated because he was found eating chicken karhai in his hotel room.

That sounds very believable.

Getting demoted to the balochistan 2nd xi was probably the last straw for the guy.

Definetly looks like someone in shans masoods camp wanted to end this guys career because he was a genuine threat to masood .

Sami Aslam alongside babar azam were our 2 best batting prospects recently from u19 cricket.

sami aslam looked very good in England so what justification is there for this guy to be in balochistan second xi.

One of the worst and timid player I have ever seen considering he played nearly half of the matches against Bangladesh & WI where Abid made 174 against Bangladesh and Sami failed. Sami would have taken more than 2.5 days to score that runs.
He will be eventually be found out even in US league soon. Once the league is established he will be no more needed.

Sami Aslam played only 13 Tests and 4 ODIs for his national side and has quit the Pakistan cricket team. Thus, the left-hander will soon be eligible to play for the United States of America (USA), from November 2023, and has no regrets about moving past his career for the Men in Green.

In an exclusive interaction with PakPassion.net, Aslam made some glaring revelations about Pakistan cricket, bias involved at every step, and also pointed out that over 100 first-class cricketers in Pakistan want to follow suit and settle in America.

Aslam stated, "I have had calls from over 100 First-class players in Pakistan exploring the possibility of them settling in America. Even the best performers currently in Pakistan domestic cricket are keen to move here and 1 or 2 are close to being signed up in the coming days."

He further opined, "There’s 3-year eligibility and I will qualify to play for America in November 2023. I’ve not even 1 per cent regret it. I am really happy after being depressed in Pakistan for 2 years. I was in a bad place due to coaches and events in Pakistan and the way they treated me.

I wasn’t one of those players who would keep phoning the coach and praising him. I have always relied on my on-field performances rather than sucking up to coaches or team management for no reason as some players do,” he added.

"It’s all about the culture of “liking and disliking” individuals. If your face fits, you are fine, if not, they will find any way to side-line you. I’ll give you the example of T20 cricket, where I was a solid performer in T20 tournaments in Pakistan and then suddenly the PSL comes along, and I am deemed not good enough for this format. Some guys have been picked for the PSL who weren’t even being picked for club cricket, yet I wasn’t even picked as a supplementary player in 6 tournaments. That is clear evidence that PSL selection is about who is well-in with the owners and the team management, and my face didn’t fit so that’s why I never got the chance to play in the PSL," the 25-year-old went onto add.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...an-cricket-says-was-in-depressed-state/754730

Unmukt was an average performer for Delhi Ranji team in FC. In List A, he was above average. Moved to Uttarkhand for 2019-20 season, flopped there. (Uttarkhand is a recently included team in the domestic circuit. Best players of Uttarkhand play for other states. Rishabh Pant is from there, he had moved to Delhi as Uttarkhand didn't have a team until 3 years back.) Unmukt moved back to Delhi and was selected among probables but don't get picked in the main squad.

More than Unmukt, I am surprised to see Smit Patel 's name in the list. Smit had moved to Baroda after playing for lower tier sides like Goa and Tripura for years & doing well there. His place didn't seem to be in danger at Baroda.

Masood lobby finished him. Sami Aslam did what was the best thing for him. Kudos !!

This relates to what he said "In addition, some of my competitors had a strong influence off the field and ensured that I wasn’t looked at favourably. They knew that if they gave me a proper chance and if I succeeded then it would be difficult to drop me and subsequently their spot in the playing eleven would be in jeopardy."

Many Pakistani sportsmen have gone abroad for events then disappeared illegally, if he can get to America legally and manage to settle with his family then more power to him!

Unmukt was an average performer for Delhi Ranji team in FC. In List A, he was above average. Moved to Uttarkhand for 2019-20 season, flopped there. (Uttarkhand is a recently included team in the domestic circuit. Best players of Uttarkhand play for other states. Rishabh Pant is from there, he had moved to Delhi as Uttarkhand didn't have a team until 3 years back.) Unmukt moved back to Delhi and was selected among probables but don't get picked in the main squad.

More than Unmukt, I am surprised to see Smit Patel 's name in the list. Smit had moved to Baroda after playing for lower tier sides like Goa and Tripura for years & doing well there. His place didn't seem to be in danger at Baroda.

I think just like Unmukt, Smit also realized that at 28, 27 years of age respectively and a lot of competition around they are not likely to give much direction to their cricket career in India. After a herculean effort in domestic white ball cricket they would have had a chance at IPL though but, even then they might have gotten the money around the same figure give or take they going to get.

Also to my surprise considering the financial status of BCCI Indian domestic cricketers arent paid that well, I think thats maybe due to having so many state teams. So both these guys are actually going to earn few times more (If we think they are given the same contract as Sami) than they would have earned by playing Indian domestic cricket.

Not sure why people are so upset with him. He feels he didnt get a fair opportunity to play for Pakistan and has been discarded - his opinion and he has stated his reasons too.

Fawad definitely has more claim for mistreatment from the PCB, a potentially fine test career has been criminally wasted despite a good record when he was given the chance.

Sami made an exciting start to test cricket, and he certainly looked the part, but as his career progressed he failed to capitalise on good starts, and I think the reason he didn't convert to centuries was he didn't really show enough attacking intent once he had got in. That's why I dona't really understand his resentment at being passed over for the PSL.

Spicy interview for sure and I do think he warranted more chances. Seems like he was the one blamed and permanently removed for that 2017 Sri Lanka series loss. I also think he is taking shots at Imam too who essentially got selected and put on the ODI team after one good domestic season & made it into the Test side without being good in FC. Probably refers to Shan Masood as well.

PakPassion.net: Do you think players are reluctant to speak out for fear of reprisals in domestic cricket?

Sami Aslam: Absolutely. Everyone knows what’s going on, but people are reluctant to speak up because they know they will be dropped. Some of the coaches speak a good game but have no clue about the tactical or technical aspects of cricket. They have friends in higher places and as soon as a player has a grievance with them, they blacklist that player and make that player’s life hell.

It's unfortunate but this kind of culture has been ongoing in Pakistan for a long long time and it's absolutely toxic. Selectors & coaches favouring players they personally like whether its their personality or because they're in the know -- that type of culture has completely ruined Pakistan and harmed the development of so many cricketers. I'd bet its easier to get away with in domestic too since nobody really knows what is going on. There is no accountability for these coaches who don't face scrutiny regarding their decisions and can get away with doing anything they want.

We've seen it at the International level too and what immediately comes into mind is Misbah immediately bringing Akmal & Shehzad back into a settled T20 team for no reason whatsoever other than knowing them really well after playing with them for a long time.

It's easy to pick on Sami Aslam and criticize him for this but PCB should take a look at themselves in the mirror and see things do need to change.

There are many other players who have a genuine claim against the PCB for mistreatment. They didn't quit, give up, they kept putting in the hard yards and got their opportunity later.

Sami Aslam chose to move to the US whereas had he stayed in Pakistan, he might have gotten an opportunity again. Let's be real here, after the start to his career in England in 2016, he didn't do much to warrant a consistent run in the side.

Former Pakistan opener Sami Aslam revealed that quite a few former Under-19 India cricketers, including 2012 U-19 World Cup winning captain Unmukt Chand are looking at a future playing cricket in USA. Aslam said more than 100 first-class cricketers from Pakistan are keen to move to USA looking to settle in the country. Aslam, 25, has played 13 Tests for Pakistan scoring 758 runs at an average of 31.58. Unhappy with continuous selection snubs, Aslam has decided to quit cricket in Pakistan and move to USA.

“30 or 40 foreign players have arrived in America recently. A few former Under-19 Indian players have also arrived, including Unmukt Chand, Smit Patel and Harmeet Singh,” Aslam told Pakpassion.net. “There are many players from South Africa over here now who have played a lot of First-class cricket in their homeland. Former New Zealand all-rounder Corey Anderson is also here. The set-up and system are very impressive and well structured. USA Cricket is really putting in a huge effort to improve cricket in America and to move it forward. It will take time for them to reach the higher levels, but the standard of cricket in America is improving fast.

“There are trainers and good coaches also out here, some of whom have previously worked in the Indian Premier League. J Arunkumar is the USA Head Coach and he was formerly the Kings XI Punjab’s batting coach in the 2017 IPL season. He has also coached in the Ranji Trophy and he’s an excellent coach.

“There are tournaments regularly held around the country and leagues are played at weekends, so there’s quite a lot of cricket being played.”

Aslam said plenty of cricketers from Pakistan are ‘desperate’ to move to USA given the issues in Pakistan cricket.

“I guarantee you that any Pakistani player who is not centrally contracted will want to settle in America and play cricket here. I have had calls from over 100 First-class players in Pakistan exploring the possibility of them settling in America. Even the best performers currently in Pakistan domestic cricket are keen to move here. At the moment USA cricket are recruiting a lot of South African and Australian players, but a lot of Pakistani players have tried and are desperate to move here. There is a lot of competition to move out here and at the moment not Pakistani players are being selected although one or two are close to being signed-up in the coming days.”

Aslam made his debut in 2015 and in his third Test, against England at Edgbaston in 2016, made 82 and 70. The left-hander, though, was on and off in the playing XI and snubbed despite scoring 864 runs during the 2019-20 Quaid-e-Azam Trophy.

“I was tired of performing regularly for the last 5 or 6 years in all formats in domestic cricket yet being ignored by the selectors. If I was picked, I’d play a couple of matches and then get dropped. I was even dropped after having performed well in tough conditions. There were players who would flop in 10 matches and still get picked, but if I failed even a couple of times, I’d be left out. There seemed to be different parameters for me and different parameters for others. So, I had that feeling that the selectors didn’t want to pick me and were just looking for excuses to not have to pick me.

“In the 2017 edition of the Pakistan One-Day Cup, I scored 169 in one game and hit 109 in the final, yet they didn’t pick me for the Pakistan One-day side. I scored 864 runs in the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy in the 2019/20 season and ended up with the highest average of 78.54 in that tournament. Then the selectors picked an extended squad for the tour of England and I was ignored, so I felt that I had to do something as these guys were just ruining my career. But even then, I waited for the squad announcement for the tour of New Zealand in 2020 and once again I was ignored, yet some players were picked for that series who had very little experience of domestic cricket and had no performances at all or had a one or two scores of note.

“It’s all about the culture of “liking and disliking” individuals. If your face fits, you are fine, if not, they will find any way to side-line you. I’ll give you the example of T20 cricket, where I was a solid performer in T20 tournaments in Pakistan and then suddenly the PSL comes along, and I am deemed not good enough for this format. Some guys have been picked for the PSL who weren’t even being picked for club cricket, yet I wasn’t even picked as a supplementary player in 6 tournaments. That is clear evidence that PSL selection is about who is well-in with the owners and the team management, and my face didn’t fit so that’s why I never got the chance to play in the PSL.”

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/...cketers-looking-at-career-in-usa-3721082.html

I think just like Unmukt, Smit also realized that at 28, 27 years of age respectively and a lot of competition around they are not likely to give much direction to their cricket career in India. After a herculean effort in domestic white ball cricket they would have had a chance at IPL though but, even then they might have gotten the money around the same figure give or take they going to get.

Also to my surprise considering the financial status of BCCI Indian domestic cricketers arent paid that well, I think thats maybe due to having so many state teams. So both these guys are actually going to earn few times more (If we think they are given the same contract as Sami) than they would have earned by playing Indian domestic cricket.

Meanwhile, Unmukt Chand has denied his involvement with American T20 league. He said he went their just to meet relatives. Indian Express has published an article on his clarification.

Surprised that he didn't get a chance to play in PSL.

He's not exactly known for his big shots or rapid strike rate so it's not really a surprise honestly. What was actually surprising was the fact that we didn't give him a longer rope in test cricket after his promising start.

A fantastic read, thoroughly entertaining. PakPassion's excellent player interviews is exactly what made me sign up on this website.

wow, explosive interview...he's fingered some names...et all....
on another front, I would be disappointed if money is the primary motivator that unmukt chand, Smit patel etc have moved the USA route.

Masood lobby finished him. Sami Aslam did what was the best thing for him. Kudos !!

How many 100 dis he score in 13 matches considering 7 of those against WI (3), Bangladesh (2) and SL (2)? Pathetic and timid player and very inferior version of Azhar Ali.

If he is saying the truth, I feel for him. Bullying is not cool in any profession or phase of life. PCB must do an enquiry on this issue to ensure it don't happen with other young cricketers in future.

If he is saying the truth, I feel for him. Bullying is not cool in any profession or phase of life. PCB must do an enquiry on this issue to ensure it don't happen with other young cricketers in future.

Nothing was done about his concerns and nothing will be done.

Pretty sure that PCB will think that he is not their problem now and that he is out of the way.

wow, explosive interview...he's fingered some names...et all....
on another front, I would be disappointed if money is the primary motivator that unmukt chand, Smit patel etc have moved the USA route.

I don't think money is the reason for Sami moving to USA. He had been thinking about it well before USA cricket started to expand and invite overseas players there.

The guy was fed up and wanted a change of scene.

How many 100 dis he score in 13 matches considering 7 of those against WI (3), Bangladesh (2) and SL (2)? Pathetic and timid player and very inferior version of Azhar Ali.

No hundreds, but there was enough talent and potential to work with.

91 in New Zealand
82 and 70 in England

Innings that showed that he had something about him if the powers that be wanted to help him to the next level.

No hundreds, but there was enough talent and potential to work with.

91 in New Zealand
82 and 70 in England

Innings that showed that he had something about him if the powers that be wanted to help him to the next level.

Leaving bullying and lack of professionalism aside which obviously exists in our society as a whole and should be condemned . . and focusing primarily on cricket and cricketing skills . .

I really question why this guy thinks he was going to become Pakistans answer to opening woes . . I will confess I was never a fan of him and never thought he could become a decent player . . but leaving that aside, I was looking at the stats he conjured up during his stint . .

13 tests for me is more than enough of a chance and a very underwhelming average of 31 . .
Take out those 2 innings in England, his average is in the mid 20s in 23 innings (almost 12 tests) . . Zulqarnain Haider also had a great innings in England in the toughest of conditions when no one else could lay ball on bat . .
His away average in 8 test matches (including the 2 England tests) was 27 . .

I was taking a look at his first class stats, and he averages 37 there . . again, decent but nothing to rave about . .

So I am dumbfounded by these claims that oh I got kicked out of the team and I never got a proper chance . . . No, 13 tests is a lot of tests and a good enough chance and more than good enough by Pakistani standards when people get dumped after 1 test match (e.g. Usman Salahuddin) . . If you had performed well enough . . if you were consistent enough . . if you were averaging even in the late 30s, no one would have had the guts to kick you out! Everyone loves playing the victim card unfortunately . . I am afraid to say there have been many many players who have been hard done by, almost tortured by the Pakistan cricketing system . . Sami Aslam doesn't get to play that card for me after having played 13 tests (a privilege awarded to very few players when performances have been as underwhelming as his) . .

I really question why this guy thinks he was going to become Pakistans answer to opening woes . . I will confess I was never a fan of him and never thought he could become a decent player . . but leaving that aside, I was looking at the stats he conjured up during his stint . .

13 tests for me is more than enough of a chance and a very underwhelming average of 31 . .
Take out those 2 innings in England, his average is in the mid 20s in 23 innings (almost 12 tests) . . Zulqarnain Haider also had a great innings in England in the toughest of conditions when no one else could lay ball on bat . .
His away average in 8 test matches (including the 2 England tests) was 27 . .

I was taking a look at his first class stats, and he averages 37 there . . again, decent but nothing to rave about .

That's the beauty of stats. I could say:

He averaged 55.67 in Tests in England
He had 7 fifties in 13 Tests
He never played a Test versus Zimbabwe
He never played a Test in Pakistan

To me the lad had potential and I think he was dropped too soon.

Ask Mickey Arthur why he dropped the lad just because he caught him having Karhai in his room?

Ask Mickey Arthur why he dropped the lad just because he caught him having Karhai in his room?

If we can allow fixers back in the team, then this even if it was true is minor.

Or is eating Chicken Karahi now worse than fixing?

People who are criticizing Sami Aslam need to understand that this guy was a prospect.

Duirng the u19 days, it was Babar and Sami scoring the runs mostly.
Yes, he might have avg 30, but dueo his u19 performance he could had been given a longer run of another series maybe.

Why are certain members promoting Sami, his test record is infront of you and his claim for a PSL spot is laughable. He was a timid batsman who was stroke less. Good luck to him anyways.

I think in 15 years most teams will have only Ind/Pak players playing. International cricket is dying. SA/SL are on crutches, Aus are not a beast they used to be, Eng is already importing players since 10 years to make team. Pak is also interested only in T20 it seems.

Fair enough . . Just to put this into perspective, Shan Masood (the guy Sami is taking shots at), after being brought back into the team, also played 13 tests after which he was kicked out . . he averaged 36 in those 13 tests (including 2 tests in NZ where didn't score a run) . . Averaged almost 40 in Aus and SA and 36 in England . . In that time, he was also the 2nd highest scorer in test cricket for Pakistan behind Babar Azam and significantly higher than the 3rd highest Azhar Ali (who average 31 in tht time) . .He also had the 3rd highest average for players who played a minimum of 10 tests, behind Babar and Rizwan . . But it was enough to boot him out on the back of a horrendous tour to NZ . . You can agree or disagree with Shan getting kicked out, but Pakistan's 2nd best batter in the time he was in the team got kicked out due to 3 or 3 bad tests towards the backend (which btw were just as bad for any other batter in the team) ..

Point I am trying to make is, he isn't some special case who was an exceptional talent and didn't get enough time . . there are not many people who have had the honor of plyaing 13 tests for Pakistan . . his returns in that time were mediocre at best . . and he moaned about it as though he was racking up Fawad Alam type figures in domestic (or he was the second coming of Saeed Anwar) . .

We can agree to disagree on this one :)

Fair enough . . Just to put this into perspective, Shan Masood (the guy Sami is taking shots at), after being brought back into the team, also played 13 tests after which he was kicked out . . he averaged 36 in those 13 tests (including 2 tests in NZ where didn't score a run) . . Averaged almost 40 in Aus and SA and 36 in England . . In that time, he was also the 2nd highest scorer in test cricket for Pakistan behind Babar Azam and significantly higher than the 3rd highest Azhar Ali (who average 31 in tht time) . .He also had the 3rd highest average for players who played a minimum of 10 tests, behind Babar and Rizwan . . But it was enough to boot him out on the back of a horrendous tour to NZ . . You can agree or disagree with Shan getting kicked out, but Pakistan's 2nd best batter in the time he was in the team got kicked out due to 3 or 3 bad tests towards the backend (which btw were just as bad for any other batter in the team) ..

Point I am trying to make is, he isn't some special case who was an exceptional talent and didn't get enough time . . there are not many people who have had the honor of plyaing 13 tests for Pakistan . . his returns in that time were mediocre at best . . and he moaned about it as though he was racking up Fawad Alam type figures in domestic (or he was the second coming of Saeed Anwar) . .

We can agree to disagree on this one :)

If you want to do the Sami Aslam versus Shan Masood thing, then look at Shan's Test average - 29.31 despite being given 25 Tests.

Of Shan's 25 Tests, 12 have been in Asia including 8 Tests in UAE.

To average 29 having played 12 out of 25 Tests in Asia is nothing short of embarrassing.

If we can allow fixers back in the team, then this even if it was true is minor.

Or is eating Chicken Karahi now worse than fixing?

Question to ask Mickey Arthur who was on a crusade to impose his way or the high way culture in his tenure

If you want to do the Sami Aslam versus Shan Masood thing, then look at Shan's Test average - 29.31 despite being given 25 Tests.

Of Shan's 25 Tests, 12 have been in Asia including 8 Tests in UAE.

To average 29 having played 12 out of 25 Tests in Asia is nothing short of embarrassing.

Like I said . . In a sea of mediocrity, and for his extremely limited talent, he was hardly the problem in his second stint . . . he went back . . didn't make a fuss though he hadn't been given 3 matches in a row in his 1st stint . . worked on his technique . . scored a ton of runs in domestic and deserved his call up . . I'll concede to his extremely mediocre record when you view his 25 test matches but in the 13 matches he played since his come back, he wasn't half bad as I highlighted with some stats above. . Abid doesn't look like he will do much and Imran Butt . . well, early days but the jury is out and I really hope he gets 13 tests as well just like Sami Aslam did . . anyway, this is not a Shan Masood thread . . The point I was trying to make was 13 tests were enough for Shan to be kicked out despite being a top 3 batsman for Pak in that time . .

How many batters in your memory have had a chance to play 13 tests for Pakistan with a mediocre return before getting booted out?
Here's my recollection:

- Fakhar Zaman (3 tests)
- Usman Salahuddin (1 test)
- Imam ul Haq (11 tests)
- Iftekhar Ahmad (3 tests)
- Ahmad Shehzad (13 tests - his test average is 40 btw)
- Nasir Jamshed (2 tests)
- Umar Amin (4 tests)

Lets look at England as well . . from my memory of players who made their debut but couldn't impress the selectors and had mediocre returns . .

Jason Roy (5 tests)
Mark Stoneman (11 tests)
Keaton Jennings (17 tests . . but across multiple stints)
Ben Duckett (4 tests)
Adam Lyth (7 tests)
Sam Robson (7 tests)

Even by English standards, 13 tests to prove his mettle was a good enough opportunity . .

So all I am saying is . . Sami Aslam doesn't get to cry foul because he is one of the VERY VERY few cricketers to have played test cricket for Pakistan who got a proper opportunity before getting booted out . .

However, your belief in his talent is absolutely fine and hence opinion that he should have gotten a longer rope similar to Shan Masood (25 tests) is absolutely warranted . . and honestly . . seeing how mediocre Abid Ali is and Imran Butt too, Sami Aslam must not have been far away from a comeback if he had had another bumper season . . but I guess not everyone is a Fawad Alam . .
so yea, for me I don't agree with him playing the victim card on opportunities . . but as I said earlier . . if there was bullying and personal vendettas, then I have no reason to doubt his words and that is wrong whether its Sami on the receiving end or anyone else . .

Question to ask Mickey Arthur who was on a crusade to impose his way or the high way culture in his tenure

You brought it up here, so I'm asking you.

You brought it up here, so I'm asking you.

I wanted to highlight that perhaps Mickey Arthur was not the best thing to happen to Pakistan Cricket that is propogated, believed because we have an example here about a career he destroyed because of his arrogant, favoritism based my way or the high way approach

I wanted to highlight that perhaps Mickey Arthur was not the best thing to happen to Pakistan Cricket that is propogated, believed because we have an example here about a career he destroyed because of his arrogant, favoritism based my way or the high way approach

From what I recall there were rumours that Mickey wasn't happy with Sami's attitude on the tour of England and his lack of effort in training. I don't think the Karahi Chicken or Chicken Korma issue was the game-changer.

From what I recall there were rumours that Mickey wasn't happy with Sami's attitude on the tour of England and his lack of effort in training. I don't think the Karahi Chicken or Chicken Korma issue was the game-changer.

Why not ask Sami Aslam about it then in the interview? He can't blame anyone else for that except himself then

Why not ask Sami Aslam about it then in the interview? He can't blame anyone else for that except himself then

Ask him if he had Chicken Karahi or Chicken Korma in his room?

Back