"Really happy to be out here in America after being depressed in Pakistan for 2 years" : Sami Aslam

Ask him if he had Chicken Karahi or Chicken Korma in his room?

That too along with the reports Mickey Arthur was not happy with attitude and work ethic

Young opening batsman Sami Aslam has claimed that top performing Pakistan cricketers are exploring opportunities to settle in the United States of America.

The 25-year-old left for the United States of America in the middle of the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy in 2020 bidding farewell to his chances of representing the Men-in-Green in the future.

In an interview with PakPassion earlier in the week, Aslam revealed that over 100 First-class players had called him and are willing to settle in the states.

“I have had calls from over 100 First-class players in Pakistan exploring the possibility of them settling in America,” he said. “Even the best performers currently in Pakistan domestic cricket are keen to move here.”

Moreover, he said that players in Pakistan are desperate to move to the USA. “Currently the USA Cricket is recruiting a lot of players from South Africa and Australia, and some players from Pakistan have also tried and they are desperate to move,” he said.

He went on to add that one or two Pakistan players are close to being signed in the coming days.

https://www.samaa.tv/sports/2021/05/top-pakistan-cricketers-want-to-settle-in-the-usa/

Seems what Sami is saying is correct.

==

Former India U-19 wicketkeeper-batsman Smit Patel has seemingly retired from Indian cricket by joining Barbados Tridents for Caribbean Premier League (CPL) 2021. The second Indian to bag a CPL contract, Smit has a decent experience of playing Indian domestic cricket.

Smit had started his domestic career with Gujarat before moving to Tripura and Baroda. The 28-year-old was also part of the 2020/21 season, where he represented Baroda.

The star performer of the 2012 U-19 World Cup final win over Australia, Smit had scored 62* off 84 in the chase to the target of 226. He stitched a match-winning partnership of 130 runs for the 5th wicket with skipper Unmukt Chand (111* off 130).

Smit's decision to play CPL has all but confirmed that he has retired from Indian cricket. As per the BCCI's rules, an Indian player cannot take part in an overseas league until he retires from domestic cricket and IPL. The rule saw the board disallowing Pravin Tambe to play IPL 2020 as he had played a T10 league. Tambe would become the first Indian player to feature in CPL after being picked up by Trinbago Knight Riders.

Smit has played few practice matches of Major Cricket League in USA and the latest development hints that he might have moved there. He has played 55 first-class, 43 List A and 28 T20 matches.

The right-handed batsman never played IPL but got a chance to represent Board President's XI against the visiting West Indies team in a practice match in 2018.

Smit will be playing alongside Chris Morris, Jason Holder, Thisara Perera, Mohammad Amir, Shai Hope and others. The IPL-bound players who are part of CPL will fly to UAE after the T20 league as the BCCI has confirmed that IPL 2021 will resume there. The fixture of the remainder of IPL 2021 will be announced soon.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...ricket-joins-barbados-tridents-for-cpl/763449

there is lot of injustice in Pakistan domestic cricket

I'm sure there is, but most of these cricketers will be moving because they want to live in the US, not because of any injustice.

I think you may be just right. It is a move which fulfills dual purpose. First one is national level recognition and more importantly a better future. No injustice, they just couldn't beat their competition.
Smit Patel couldn't get a chance but unmukt Chand who scored 110* also hasn't got much so can't be injustice.

I'm sure there is, but most of these cricketers will be moving because they want to live in the US, not because of any injustice.
I have met an ex Pakistani cricketer here in Canada who has played first class cricket in Pakistan. Lot of stories of injustice in domestic cricket and its not just the coaches but captains too. He is from 90s era so looks like nothing has changed.

I have met an ex Pakistani cricketer here in Canada who has played first class cricket in Pakistan. Lot of stories of injustice in domestic cricket and its not just the coaches but captains too. He is from 90s era so looks like nothing has changed.

Does this guy earn enough money playing cricket in Canada to earn a living?

no he is an old guy left cricket long time ago, as I said he used to play domestic cricket in 90s

I would class him as just another economic immigrant then. Most of them will tell you similar hard luck stories to justify leaving Pakistan, it's not something unique to cricket.

https://ahmedabadmirror.com/eleven-indian-domestic-cricketers-sign-up-for-usa-league-report/81801313.html

The six-week league, organised by American Cricket Enterprises (ACE), will start on July 31 and played over weekends. It has drawn in over 80 first-class cricketers from around the world.

Media reports said that New Zealand all-rounder Corey Anderson will represent his home franchise Dallas while South African spinner Dane Piedt will represent DC Hawks. West Indian spinner Rahkeem Cornwall will represent Atlanta Fire while Pakistan players Sami Aslam and Hammad Azam will turn out for Golden State Grizzlies.

The report added that 11 players with 'Indian domestic experience' were drafted in the squads.

While the wicketkeeper-batsman Patel has already retired from tournaments organised by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and earned a contract with Barbados Tridents in Caribbean Premier League, he will most likely be joined in the USA by Trivedi and Kumar, who has represented Delhi and Sikkim in Ranji Trophy.

Kumar is already in the USA though his father told Suman Kumar told IANS on Saturday that while his son has played cricket in USA and knows people related to cricket there, he is unaware of any news about his son signing a contract.

There has been speculation over another former India under-19 spinner Harmeet Singh joining the league. However, the player could not be reached by IANS for confirmation.

Good to see Hamad Azam getting the opportunity to earn money over there. Would have been very easy for him to cry about mistreatment at home and to be fair he might have had a stronger case than Sami.

Ask him if he had Chicken Karahi or Chicken Korma in his room?

Guess what, someone did ask sami aslam on fb recently if he was having karhai.

The guy is soo shameless, he responded yes just yesterday.

Point being, this guys are themselves to be blamed when they have sich pathetic attitude

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Playing in the LA Open 2021 League in America, Sami Aslam scored 130 not out off 74 balls (16 fours and 2 sixes) for Atlanta Fire versus Kesari Yodhaz <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1410970593160318977?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 2, 2021</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
^i wonder what level of bowlers play in the league. They dont have videos do they?

Part of the Golden State Grizzlies team in the Minor League Cricket – 2021 Season - listed as an all-rounder :D

3 matches and 27 runs for Sami.

Pretty poor, I would say.

Sami Aslam
Unmukt Chand
Smit Patel
Jehan Jaysurya
Corey Anderson
Hammad Azam
Ali Khan
Harmeet Singh

To be honest, this team does look more than half decent.

Just watch these minor league games on youtube where Sami Aslam is playing , and look at the standard. Its not better than a 2nd tier club tournament of any city in Pakistan. Yes, there are some imported cricketers playing there but standard is very low . but its a good start, will get better .

I played in similar kind of league in USA in the past and I'm not even a FC cricketer but had good stats , because the standard was lower than the club cricket in Lahore.

In Minor League Cricket

https://www.minorleaguecricket.com/stats

dgqPVZA.png

Is there no way back for Sami Aslam?

Born: December 12, 1995 (age 27 years), Lahore, Pakistan

Is there no way back for Sami Aslam?

Born: December 12, 1995 (age 27 years), Lahore, Pakistan

If he doesn’t want to come back, then the question doesn’t need to be asked.

When i see a guy like Imran Butt been made captain of the A squad, that gives me zero confidence that selection is made on merit.

I see more players going the Sami Aslam way.

When i see a guy like Imran Butt been made captain of the A squad, that gives me zero confidence that selection is made on merit.

I see more players going the Sami Aslam way.

Sami Aslam was a test player so was given a chance to perform. Unfortunately his record in international cricket was not satisfactory and was dropped. He could have chosen to work hard on his game and score bucket loads of run to make a comback but he didnt.

I felt he was left handed Azhar Ali. Limited player with defensive technique. Team can have only one such player.

That is what he turned into but he was an u19 prodigy at one point. Topped the charts at the world cup and scored buckets of runs vs India u19

Happy for him.

Shan, Imam, Hafeez, Fakhar all got a nod ahead of him in tests despite him doing a serviceable job.

Could have become a 40+ avg test opener.

He does seem a bit deluded but good luck to him. Hope it all works out for him in the states with a level of cricket where he can really excel

He was a very good opener. Could have played in all 3 formats for Pakistan for long time.

I agree to each of his remarks in the interview. Pakistan cricket is now all about liking and disliking. No proper value of merit. Sami was way better than Hafeez, Azhar, Shaan, Asad Shafique, Khusdil, Haider Ali . He was a run machine since under 19. He was not just a tuk tuk batsman as few are telling here. He had many a good innings in ODIs and T20s.

If he doesn’t want to come back, then the question doesn’t need to be asked.
He made the right decision.Close to a million young people have left since last year.Thousands of others are applying to leave.This is due to lack of opportunities,nepotism and disregard for merit.

I felt he was left handed Azhar Ali. Limited player with defensive technique. Team can have only one such player.

True. We should have discarded Azhar a lot sooner to give Sami Aslam a proper chance, as he is a full decade younger than Azhar.

Lots of Pakistanis playing in MLC. Sami Aslam, Hammad Azam, Ehsan Adil, Nauman Anwar, Mukhtar Ahmed, Saif Badar.

Didn’t realize they had all immigrated to the US.

Lots of Pakistanis playing in MLC. Sami Aslam, Hammad Azam, Ehsan Adil, Nauman Anwar, Mukhtar Ahmed, Saif Badar.

All because of Buffoon regime which discarded the departmental cricket without giving an alternative livelihoods for many promising young cricketers.

Regional cricket has truncated the domestic pool into less than half and it's largely based on connections, as opposed to Departmental cricket which had a high degree of merit due to private owners

None of them were international standard

All because of Buffoon regime which discarded the departmental cricket without giving an alternative livelihoods for many promising young cricketers.

Regional cricket has truncated the domestic pool into less than half and it's largely based on connections, as opposed to Departmental cricket which had a high degree of merit due to private owners

Each and every one of them played in the regional system for extended periods. None of them were consistent enough or had the right attitude to get to Pakistan team level. So they emigrated to make a future for themselves and their families. Good for them.

Each and every one of them played in the regional system for extended periods. None of them were consistent enough or had the right attitude to get to Pakistan team level. So they emigrated to make a future for themselves and their families. Good for them.

Agree with this. None from that list can really claim they were hard done by. Let's face it they aren't and weren't good enough unlike someone like Fawad Alam who was genuinely the victim of injustice.

Good luck to the lad and others that go out that way.

Players like Sami weren't proper international class. The danger for the PCB will be when better players that could have long international careers realise that they can get more money and stability in the USA and abandon Pakistan.

It could be like what Kolpak did to South Africa.

Disagree on the fact that Sami wasn't good enough. Scored on tough conditions in England and NZ. Hadn't done so bad to get dropped in Australia in favor of Sharjeel and later Ahmed Shehzad. Youngsters have to be backed to come good. Not everyone is going to start their international career like Abdullah Shafique. It took Babar 2 years in test cricket to score his first century. Babar was averaging under 30 by the end of 2018.

If he had an attitude problem, that's another thing. But to say he wasn't good enough when he was amongst the top scorers is not correct. He averaged close to 50 in LA at a very good SR.

Regarding Nauman Anwar, Ehsan Adil, Saif Badar, Saad Ali(maybe) and Hammad Azam (maybe), I guess yes, they probably weren't good enough for international level.

Another overaged cricketer. Lol at 27. There's no way back considering his real age and lack of ability to score runs .

Back