Record-breaking summit of K2 dogged by allegations that Western climbers left Pakistani man to die

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
ISLAMABAD (AP) — An investigation has been launched into the death of a Pakistani porter near the peak of the world's most treacherous mountain, a Pakistani mountaineer said Saturday, following allegations that dozens of climbers eager to reach the summit had walked past the man after he was gravely injured in a fall.

The accusations surrounding events on July 27 on K2, the world's second-highest peak, overshadowed a record established by Norwegian climber Kristin Harila and her Sherpa guide, Tenjin. By climbing K2 that day, they became the world's fastest climbers, scaling the world's 14 highest mountains in 92 days.

Harila rejected any responsibility for the death of the porter, Mohammed Hassan, a 27-year-old father of three who slipped and fell off a narrow trail in a particularly dangerous area of K2 known as the bottleneck. In an Instagram post Friday, she wrote that she felt “angry at how many people have been blaming others for this tragic death” and that no one was at fault.

Street Insider

Harila was defending herself against allegations from two other climbers who were on K2 that day, Austrian Wilhelm Steindl and German Philip Flaemig. The pair had aborted their climb because of difficult weather conditions, but said they reconstructed the events later by reviewing drone footage.

The footage showed dozens of climbers passing a gravely injured Hassan instead of coming to his rescue, Steindl told The Associated Press on Saturday. He alleged that the porter could have been saved if the other climbers, including Harila and her team, had given up attempts to reach the summit.

Karrar Haidri, secretary of the Pakistan Alpine Club, a sports organization that also serves as the governing body for mountaineering in Pakistan, said an investigation into Hassan's death is underway. It is being conducted by officials in the Gilgit-Baltistan region, which has jurisdiction over K2, Haidri said.

Steindl, the Austrian climber, said the drone footage shows one man trying to rub Hassan's chest, trying to keep him warm and alive somehow. "You can see that the man is desperate,” Steindl said.

“We know by now that this was his friend, also a Pakistani high altitude porter," Steindl said. “And what you also see in the drone footage is a line of 70 climbers marching towards the summit.”

“There is a double standard here. If I or any other Westerner had been lying there, everything would have been done to save them," Steindl said. “Everyone would have had to turn back to bring the injured person back down to the valley.”

Steindl also said that July 27 was the only day in this season on which conditions were good enough for mountaineers to reach the summit of K2, which explains why there were so many climbers eager to get to the top.

“I don’t want to kind of directly blame anybody," Steindl said. "I’m just saying there was no rescue operation initiated and that’s really very, very tragic because that’s actually the most normal thing one would do in a situation like that.”

Harila told Sky News that Hassan had been dangling from a rope, head down, after his fall at the bottleneck, which she described as “probably the most dangerous part of K2.” She said that after about an hour, her team was able to pull him back onto the trail.

At some point, she and another person from her team decided to continue to the top while another team member stayed with Hassan, giving him warm water and oxygen from his own mask, the climber said.

Harila said she decided to continue on to the summit because her forward fixing team also ran into difficulties, without giving any details in the interview.

Asked about Hassan’s gear, Harila said that he did not wear a down suit and he didn’t have gloves, nor did he have oxygen. “We didn’t see any sign of either a mask or oxygen tank,” she said.

In Hassan's home village of Tisar, friends and neighbors visited the family, offering prayers of condolence.

A childhood friend, Basharat Hussain, said Hassan had been determined to provide opportunities for his children that he never had, including an education. “He used to say ... ‘all my life I had to suffer, I had to work hard, I am working hard to give my children a good education’,” Hussain told AP.

Hussain said he was saddened by how his friend died. “I think this is the most dehumanizing event in my life,” he said, adding that he hopes “it will not happen in the future.”

Anwar Syed, the head of Lela Peak Expedition, the company that Hassan was working for, said he died about 150 meters (490 feet) below the summit. He said several people tried to help, providing oxygen and warmth, to no avail.

Syed said that because of the bottleneck's dangerous conditions, it would not be possible to retrieve Hassan's body and hand it to the family. He said his company had given money to Hassan's family and would continue to help, but did not elaborate.

Asked about Hassan's apparent lack of equipment, Syed said that the expedition company pays money to porters to buy gear and that Hassan was paid the agreed upon amount.

Steindl's fellow climber, Flaemig, alleged in an interview with the Austrian newspaper Der Standard that Hassan had no high-altitude experience. “He wasn't equipped properly. He did not have experience. He was a base camp porter and for the first time was picked to be a high-altitude porter. He wasn't qualified for this," Flaemig said.

Steindl visited Hassan's family and set up a crowd-funding campaign. After four days, donations reached close to 122,000 euros (almost $140,000), exceeding the target of 120,000 euros.

“I saw the suffering of the family,” Steindl told AP. "The widow told me that her husband did all this so that his children would have a chance in life, so that they could go to school.”

She wants to become one of the world's fastest climbers. That's why she didn't care that someone was in trouble and needed help. She didn't want to waste time because he was Pakistani. But if it had been a white person, she would definitely have saved them.

its a tough one, whilst there might be some double standards at play, the truth is a lot of people have died on k2 including many foreigners and everyone knows that in trying to rescue someone you will be putting your own life at risk. anyone who wants to summit it accepts that they might die in the process.

Difficult situation. These people put themselves through a really tough time to perform such a feat in hostile conditions, I would imagine it would be quite hard to go through all that and sacrifice the chance of a record on account of someone else's mistake. I don't condone it, but then I wouldn't be one of those who climbed up there in the first place, and that applies to the Pakistani guy who died as well.

Basharat Hussain, a friend of the Pakistani porter Mohammad Hassan, who died at K2 last month, criticised the mountaineers after they allegedly walked past the stuck Pakistani and called their action as “below humanity”.

Videos and photos on social media revealed that a group of climbers walked past Hassan, who fell off a ledge and reportedly died a few hours later at a narrow path known as the bottleneck, some 8,200 metres high.

"The climbers, who scaled the K2 this year, I understand their behaviour was below humanity and it was very saddening, after they walked past the man after he was gravely injured in a fall and they scaled the K2,” said Hussain.

"I think this is the most dehumanising event in my life. It may have not happened in the past, it has not happened in the present, and I hope it will not happen in the future."

An inquiry committee was set up by the government of Gilgit-Baltistan to investigate the tragic death of Pakistani high-altitude porter.

According to a notification, the GB secretary tourism, sports, archaeology and museum department formed the committee which will be led by Iqbal Hussain, director of the department.

Other members of the committee include Rahat Karim Baig, deputy director Baltistan, and representatives from the divisional and district administration, Baltistan tour operators association and the Alpine Club of Pakistan.

However, Norwegian mountaineer Kristin Harila denied the claim and said she and her team tried everything to save Hassan’s life.

"It's a tragic accident... here is a father and son and a husband who lost his life that day on K2. I think that's very, very sad that it ended this way," she said.

"We were trying to save him, we did everything we could for many hours... it's a very, very narrow path.

"How are you going to climb and traverse and carry [a person]? It's not possible."

At life you have one shot, and at other things in life you can have a second shot. The truth to be told, Pakistanis do not give a hoot each other lives and kill/loot people at gun point so we do not have a moral ground to stand on as well. If there had been a German dog there would have been rescue holicopters by western countries.

I have got an opportunity to interact and live with western people and yes, discrimination and double standards exist.

Imran Khan wanted to change all that, you see what he got by saying "Absolutely Not" is a murder attempt on his life.

I am sure no western shooters came in Pakistan to achieve that target. Pakistanis are sold people so they are ready to kill each other.

It is a sad fact.

The only way to move forward is to stop begging start working and make your country strong. Simple as that.

Re: Raymond Davis vs Affia Siddiq case in point.

The reality is that until Pakistan stops seeking money from other countries and doesn't significantly improve its economy, our dignity and the value of life will not be recognized in the eyes of developed nations. If the country's economy improves and people are provided with employment opportunities, the crime rate will also decrease.

These summits are stupid.

What do these climbers achieve with these? After 100-200 years, will anyone care?

What do these climbers achieve with these? After 100-200 years, will anyone care?
Summiting a mountain is a culmination of months or even years of preparation, training, and hard work. Climbers experience a profound sense of accomplishment and fulfillment, knowing they've achieved a challenging goal.

The vast majority of personal achievements in any human's life are things no one will care about in 100 years. Not everyone is Lionel Messi or Imran Khan.

That doesn't stop people striving, training, working hard to achieve whatever random goals they have, it's just self-fulfillment.

The Pakistan Army successfully conducted a daring rescue operation to save foreign mountain climbers struck on the icy peaks of Concordia and Shigar, ARY News reported on Friday.

According to the details, the Pakistan Army launched a rescue operation and managed to safely recover the foreign mountain climbers on August 17, 2023.

The team consisted of one local guide, a Polish climber, and four British mountaineers who were stuck at the Concordia and Shigar mountains.

All mountaineers were in critical condition and had been riskily evacuated by the military.

Four British climbers were rescued from the snowy peaks of Concordia, while one Polish climber and the local guide were saved from the heights of approximately 17,000 feet in Shigar.

The British mountaineers included George Hurst, David Coop, Stephen Ryan, and Darrin Corbin. The Polish climber, Adam, was accompanied by local guide Muhammad Iqbal.

Upon receiving the information, the Pakistan Army swiftly deployed the helicopters for the rescue operation. The mountaineers were rescued in critical condition, struggling to breathe due to the high altitude.

Naila Kiyani becomes first Pakistani woman to summit 11 peaks above 8,000 metres

Pakistani mountaineer Naila Kiani scaled the 8,485 meters Mount Makalu, one of the world’s highest mountains, on Sunday, becoming the first woman in the country’s history to summit 11 peaks above 8,000 metres.

“After a challenging climb through the night, Naila has achieved another historic milestone by successfully summiting Makalu, the fifth highest peak in the world at 8,485 meters, today [Sunday] at approximately 9:35am Nepal local time [8:50am Pakistan time],” Karrar Haidri, the secretary of Alpine Club of Pakistan, said in a statement.

In 2023, she became the second Pakistani woman to climb Mount Everest. It was earlier achieved by Samina Baig in 2013.

In July the same year, she along with Samina, scaled the 8,125-metre-tall mountain Nanga Parbat — the world’s ninth-highest peak.

Kiani was grateful for all the prayers and wishes. She also thanked Sherpa Gelgen Dai from Imagine Nepal, who supported her every step of the way, making the achievement possible.

“This latest success highlights her exceptional endurance and determination. She now holds the record as the fastest Pakistani, both male and female, to have summited 11 of the 8,000-meter peaks, accomplished in under three years.”

Haidri asked for prayers for her safe descent to the base camp.

Back