[REPORT] Mohammad Yousuf to be appointed as Head Coach of the Pakistan team for the upcoming T20I series against New Zealand

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
As per media reports, former captain Mohammad Yousuf is likely to assume the role of head coach for the national cricket team. Additionally, Abdul Razzaq is being considered for the position of bowling coach for the upcoming T20 series against New Zealand.

Meanwhile, foreign coaches interested in the positions within the national team can submit their applications till April 15 after which a selection process will ensue to shortlist the candidates.

Mohammad Yousuf is currently serving as the head coach for the national under-19 cricket team of Pakistan and is also a member of the selection committee, is it fair to give him so many responsibilities?

Last edited:
What a massive downgrade lol

Been saying for years, you dont a coach for the senior team. You need a manager.

As per media reports, former captain Mohammad Yousuf is likely to assume the role of head coach for the national cricket team. Additionally, Abdul Razzaq is being considered for the position of bowling coach for the upcoming T20 series against New Zealand.

Meanwhile, foreign coaches interested in the positions within the national team can submit their applications till April 15 after which a selection process will ensue to shortlist the candidates.

Mohammad Yousuf is currently serving as the head coach for the national under-19 cricket team of Pakistan and is also a member of the selection committee, is it fair to give him so many responsibilities?
Mohammad Yousuf was doing good job with U19 Kids.

If they needed a local coach. Should've gone for anyone baring Waqar Younis really. But why ruin an already established position in U19?

Excellent, now Pakistan team can concentrate more on doing Namaz than playing cricket...

I am very surprised why Wasim so far has never been given a chance...
Wasim Akram?

He has diabetes. Do you want to kill him by integrating him as coach in PCB?

Too late for foreign/permanent coaches, don't you think? With T20 WC just 2 months away.

PCB have bungled up big time.

MY like anyone else they appoint will make no difference. I wrote on here many years ago( after speaking to an ex Pro) that what these guys do little of what we perceive they do. So before you appoint a coach actually know what you want them to do. Do you want them as strategists? Do you want them as technical guys? Do you want them as mentors? Do you want all of these things from coach? Well good luck with the last one

Can someone tell me what relevant coaching experience and qualifications does MoYo have?

Do you really believe that?
Off course. Yousuf would makes a decent batting coach for u19 but not a head coach for the national team. He's too soft and very friendly with the players. I am hoping this is will be first and last series till we get a proper coach.

What happened to the talk about Watson - Kirsten - Gillespie etc?

What happened to the talk about Watson - Kirsten - Gillespie etc?
We got an all in one,

Test excellency
White ball prestige
Test double centurion maestro

Mohammad Yousuf sab

The architect of one of the worst captaincy performances of all time in the 2010 Sydney Test is going to become a head coach. He didn't exactly do a stellar job as Saqlain's assistant either.
Mohammad Yousuf maybe very knowledgeable about the batting part. The technical stuff. He was better with U19 kids.

But coaching all together is a different challenge it requires more skills that are beyond just technical aspects of batting or bowling.

Great student of the game and a technician but don't think he can be a good man manager

Clearly not the best option for head coach, but the PCB were backed into a corner and ran out of time. The good news, is that Moyo has the U-19 head coaching experience and also worked with the national team as batting coach. I think he can help. As far as the comments go about namaaz, I don’t feel this is going to be an issue just because he’s religious. And there’s nothing wrong with praying namaaz anyways, from all accounts MY is a pretty chill guy when it comes to managing the team. The biggest issue I see is he’s also a selector, and the coach was supposed to have their own vote according to Naqvi’s 7 man selection committee framework. Same goes for Razzaq, will they have two votes each now?

Clearly not the best option for head coach, but the PCB were backed into a corner and ran out of time. The good news, is that Moyo has the U-19 head coaching experience and also worked with the national team as batting coach. I think he can help. As far as the comments go about namaaz, I don’t feel this is going to be an issue just because he’s religious. And there’s nothing wrong with praying namaaz anyways, from all accounts MY is a pretty chill guy when it comes to managing the team. The biggest issue I see is he’s also a selector, and the coach was supposed to have their own vote according to Naqvi’s 7 man selection committee framework. Same goes for Razzaq, will they have two votes each now?
Coaching at U19 level and Coaching at Men's National level are two different things. Would have been better if they had hired a local domestic coach. Someone like Abdul Rehman (Who was heading Multan Sultans this season)

Coaching at U19 level and Coaching at Men's National level are two different things. Would have been better if they had hired a local domestic coach. Someone like Abdul Rehman (Who was heading Multan Sultans this season)
Would be disastrous and just another experiment.

Total failure from the PCB that we are basically coachless just 2 months till a T20 World Cup. Pathetic

At least MoYo has had some coaching experience (albeit not much). Razzaq on the other hand, has had the following experience:

1) At domestic level, Abdul Razzaq was appointed head coach to Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, and under him the team won the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy, National T20 Cup and Pakistan Cup in the 2020–21 season, later he became the head coach of Central Punjab for the 2021-22 domestic season.

2) Abdul Razzaq was appointed as the interim head coach of the Pakistan national team alongside Saqlain Mushtaq on 6 September 2021 by PCB for New Zealand tour of Pakistan 2021, after Misbah-ul-Haq and Waqar Younis stepped down as coaches, but the series later got called off. (So he wasn't really coach)

3) In September 2022, he was appointed head coach to the Hyderabad Hunters squad for the inaugural season of the Pakistan Junior League.

And when he appears on TV, he just criticises Babar for not being able to hit a straight 6.

I really don't think he is the right guy for the job.

It’s so funny to see posters get positively giddy with excitement each time a new coach is proposed — “will it be Kirsten, will it be Gillespie, it might have been Watson, surely Flower is begging for the role ?”

In reality we know that no foreign coach of any value would touch the Pakistan job because of the dysfunctional employment relationship with the PCB.
However much money they are offered.

The only one who was vaguely lured was Arthur — a washed up coach of a failing second division county side in England.

And lo and behold, a local coach is found — fine.
But why all the nonsense and excited posts about the merits and demerits of potential foreign candidates.
It’s like some posters never learn — a triumph of desperation over reality.

It’s so funny to see posters get positively giddy with excitement each time a new coach is proposed — “will it be Kirsten, will it be Gillespie, it might have been Watson, surely Flower is begging for the role ?”

In reality we know that no foreign coach of any value would touch the Pakistan job because of the dysfunctional employment relationship with the PCB.
However much money they are offered.

The only one who was vaguely lured was Arthur — a washed up coach of a failing second division county side in England.

And lo and behold, a local coach is found — fine.
But why all the nonsense and excited posts about the merits and demerits of potential foreign candidates.
It’s like some posters never learn — a triumph of desperation over reality.

They want the job but don't want to live in Pakistan.

PCB needs someone who will be there every day. Yousuf is a good choice, he is no nonsense and has world class pedigree. As good as anyone to coach the batters.

Need a solid bowling coach now and I don't think Razzaq is right for the job. Shoaib Akhtar is an option.

Both pathetic and defensive choices, the return of Babar as captain (..did not do zilch when it mattered; during the World Cup and tests in Australia) and the appointment of Yousuf as coach.

Pakistan stopped playing attacking cricket since the days of ultra-defensive Inzi.

Our approach to batting is too timid and defensive. No fluency or game awareness whatsoever. Running between the wickets is often poor.

Hence do not expect Pakistan to win against good teams anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Naqvi turned out to be a carbon copy of Zaka. Pakistan U19 batting was super failure in the World Cup yet he is awarded to be a head coach. Babar was a failure for last 5 years yet reappointed as captain. Just hope we carry our local coaches until Sethi returns after WC failure.

I don't have any faith at all in his abilities.

He ranted like a bitter uncle for a long long time on the sidelines then like all others when silent when the PCB gave him cash.

How does hiring a local domestic coach make it more relevant to coaching at the national level? If anything, coaching U19 is at the national level albeit a younger team.

Haven't heard much about MoYo being a tactician so I am not sure its going to be work out great.

Biggest thing Babar needs is a smart tactician coach to gameplan strategy since he is not good enough at it. Guys like Saqlain/Mickey etc are more motivator type coaches and I think that is why we always see bland tactics from Babar. Maybe Babar has improved in his 2nd stint but it seems unlikely. If 4 years wasn't enough to make you tactically smarter & more aware and he has a coach who can't gameplan for him like that, I don't personally think it will go too well.

How does hiring a local domestic coach make it more relevant to coaching at the national level? If anything, coaching U19 is at the national level albeit a younger team.
An U19 team's requirement is different. Because players are younger. They need more help in carrying themselves in cricket, improving their techniques and learning basics.

That is not the case with Men's team. Certainly not at International level. They have different requirements. Basics and techniques come down in priority list.

An U19 team's requirement is different. Because players are younger. They need more help in carrying themselves in cricket, improving their techniques and learning basics.

That is not the case with Men's team. Certainly not at International level. They have different requirements. Basics and techniques come down in priority list.

The majority of players in the mens squad arrive undercooked. What do you do with a mid 20s guy who has just played a few years of domestic cricket and maybe had a good season in a PSL? That's basically the profile of every player that makes it into the international team.

So we start from zero again, this snake ladder approach is our mantra , that was all wishful thinking Gary Kirsten, Jason Gillespie and Jurgen Klopp

Well this is random. There were so many names brought up, is this just going to be for one tour while we find finish negotiations with the other coaches we were talking about? Or is this a test run for a permanent position?

“Pakistan cricket at its best: one minute down, next minute further down” - Nasser Hussain. :ibutt

The last few months have been pure comedy from the PCB.

I guess these appointments are just for the NZ series untill the permanent head coach comes. But TBH, this is beyond understanding to appoint Yousaf and Razzaq as coaches. Not sure what PCB is thinking here but Yousaf's stint with U19s was not very fruitful. Haven't seen any improvement in the batting of the young boys and they kept on making same mistakes every game during that U19 Asia Cup and World Cup.

They could have gone for somebody more experienced and having some attacking mindset. Razzaq criticized your T20 Captain and now he is going to be a coach, not sure if that will work out.

As for the selection, good for MoYo. Atleast he's professional and not making a fool out of the team and himself like so many other Pakistank ex-cricketets and Pundits.

The guy has been around the game for decades and knows the Team probably better than anyone.

As for the likes of Kirsten, Gillespie and Watson etc. First sort out the Country and establish a stable Cricket Board.

The majority of players in the mens squad arrive undercooked. What do you do with a mid 20s guy who has just played a few years of domestic cricket and maybe had a good season in a PSL? That's basically the profile of every player that makes it into the international team.
They're not as undercooked as an U19 player. The difference is massive for a player when going from U19 to National team than from PSL to National team

Won't be surprised if MoYo is the coach going into the WC too.

They'll be struggling to get someone internationally that quick before the WC to work with them.

Excellent, now Pakistan team can concentrate more on doing Namaz than playing cricket...

I am very surprised why Wasim so far has never been given a chance...
Praying Salaah is their religious obligation for personal spiritual well being and elevation.

How are you conflating it with sport.

Stereotyping is a form of ignorance.

When I found out about this appointment, I genuinely couldn't stop laughing. Comical appointment.

So from W Watson, Hessen, Gillespie, Kristen we back to Moyo, Razzaq. I rather have Misbah than good for nothing Moyo.

Reports that Saim could bat at 3, with Babar and Rizwan opening
I knew this will happen , that is why i voted no for Babar's return as captain... He has become stubborn like Misbah resisting changes for the good and future , no vision in his eyes....

I knew this will happen , that is why i voted no for Babar's return as captain... He has become stubborn like Misbah resisting changes for the good and future , no vision in his eyes....
Babar is ironically worse then misbah.

Misbah's weakness was team selection and stubborn views on white ball cricket. But his captaincy decisions on the field regarding bowling decisions, fielding decisions were fine.

Secondly when misbah achieved no 1 test rank, Pakistan were objectively atleast top 3, because that test side had 2 test greats alongside a test atg in YK, alongside chuckers and good fast bowlers.

When Babar achieved no 1, the team was not objectively close to even top 3, the team was mostly am 8 or 9, as it was weaker then afg and England even who's 2023 form was abysmal, even Sri lanka beat us in asia cup and gave us a hard time in the cup but we beat them with 2 centuries acored by 2 bats. It was only objectively > Bangaldesh and Nedtherlands, otherwise it was on par with Sri lanka and weaker them every team.

Here are some of babar's captaincy decisions

1) Places a 3rd slip but no 2nd and 1st slip causing multiple edges to go to the boundary.

2) Has nawaz bowl his final over 2x against India and Sa, when he could have gone for usama against sa as usama had 2 wickets in that game compared to nawaz who was wicketless.

3) Shouts at his team dueing losing situations which results in drop catches.

4) Doesn't realise that winning 11 =/= best 11 which results in panic mode when they get butchered and last minute changes like Abdullah and saud being brought in without match practise. Fakahr randomly being shoved aside and brought in again after imam failed etc etc.

5) Sticks to a stubborn formula, he had India collapsed in one game but let them recover because he needed to full his quota of bowling 30 overs of spin, whereas any logical captain would have rotated spin with pace to keep pressure.

6) Has no clue on reviews, Often succumbs to bowler pressure even though shaheen has proven that he loves to burn reviews in the first over.

Misbah only had team selection problems, Babar has every problem known to man.

Back