Report: Pakistan Cricket Board May Boycott Asia Cup Over Likely Venue Shift To Sri Lanka

This is hilarious.

Haven't seen the new hybrid model -> obviously a lie. It has been repeated 1000s of times just on media.

Asia Cup shifted due to political unrest -> yet NZ didn't give two sh*ts. Besides, under hybrid model Indian players aren't even traveling to Pakistan, so what's the point.

This is like talking to a dementia patient, to be honest.

What! New Zealand team left Pakistan before the whole political unrest even started.

Hopefully BCCI will hsow Najam sethi and co that who si the boss. PCB and these crooks has no place.

Hopefully BCCI will hsow Najam sethi and co that who si the boss. PCB and these crooks has no place.

What's wrong with PCB's demand in these situation , Sethi has been flexible, trying his best to resolve the issue, BCCI playing games and should be condemned .

The same sources available to rest of the cricket fans.

When did the political unrest start and which event are you basing it on?

Regardless of whatever conclusion you come up with, the more important point is PCB is not even asking India to travel to Pakistan, so whatever the BCCI or GoI official is saying is a moot point.

Sethi and Co losing friends quickly

==

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) has voiced concerns regarding the relocation of the upcoming Asia Cup 2023 from Pakistan to the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

Media reports suggest that Bangladeshi players are not willing to participate in the Asia Cup matches in the UAE, primarily due to the scorching September weather.

“Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) is not willing to play Asia Cup 2023 matches in UAE due to hot weather. Their players are also not ready to play there,” reports citing sources said

PCB has presented two options under a hybrid model. The first option proposes India playing their matches at a neutral venue, while all other matches would be hosted in Pakistan.

The second plan entails dividing the event into two phases. The initial phase would be conducted in Pakistan, excluding India, while the second phase would be held in UAE.

It was reported earlier that the upcoming meeting of the Asian Cricket Council (ACC), chaired by BCCI Secretary Jay Shah, is likely to approve the second option.

Earlier this week, PCB announced that both Sri Lanka and Bangladesh cricket boards have confirmed their participation under the hybrid model proposed by PCB.

https://propakistani.pk/2023/05/18/...-voices-concerns-on-shifting-asia-cup-to-uae/

With so much non-sense going on - I pretty much lost the interest and appetite in the Asia cup.

I don’t give a flying flock whether they play it or not - or whether India boycotts or Pakistan boycotts or it’s a neutral venue or they scrape it off altogether.

While acknowledging that he had not yet seen the new hybrid model for the tournament, the BCCI official emphasized that the BCCI's position remained unchanged.

"I haven't seen the new hybrid model so far"

"There is no change in our stance. We want Asia Cup to be shifted from Pakistan due to political unrest there"

"Hot weather of the UAE will not be suitable for players. We can't compromise on players' safe".

Didn't India participate in the 2018 edition which was also played in September?

Didn't India participate in the 2018 edition which was also played in September?

And Pandya got injured and remained out of action for months. Many Indian players complained abuot playing in UAE in September in 2018. BCCI wont take a chance before WC and BAN seems to be doing the same...

Can they just shut up and decide what they want to do? Literally sick of this talk everyday.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Pakistan v Nepal, Nepal vs SL, Sl v Pak to be played in Pakistan and then the remaining tourney being played in Emirates

Then why did NZ, Eng and Aus toured Pakistan recently? Are they not looking at the image of Pakistan? You are concentrating on one or two players who don't feel safe but you are deliberately ignoring the whole team visiting Pakistan. :inti

What are you on about? If you followed my previous first post, I clearly mentioned that PAK's situation isn't any worst than IND/BAN/SL when it comes to security atm. My argument has to do with how the media/people in general view Pak's image as not a safe country, which unfortunately hurts the country in general (be it sports/economy/travel/etc). The argument I was making towards him is beyond cricket at this point, it's more of a worldview and how the image needs to be changed by the PAK government. Either this point wasn't conveyed to PPers properly or members did not bother reading my POV. Maybe promote more tourism. Some YouTubers are changing the perception of Pak's image and it's safe to visit there. Pak needs more people like this.

And for an FYI, I as an Indian think that what BCCI and the Indian government are doing is petty at this point. This hatred between these two countries will never stop if things continue like this (from both ends). Cricket is cricket, politics is politics. This isn't something that needs to be mixed.

Interesting I live In Canada, and the view on Indians and India is good either, and that is no secret as well.

So do I. But the shocker is, you're partially right but you're not being honest here. Pak is looked at as more unsafe than Ind.

Anyways, I just want the Asia cup to go on. I for one always enjoyed watching this 'Not Important Tournament' as per many commenters here ...

As per a report:

According to sources, the boards of Afghanistan and Nepal have agreed to play first phase of the Asia Cup in Pakistan. Both boards, via email, have ensured their participation in Asia Cup matches in Pakistan.

Earlier, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh confirmed that they have no reservations about playing first phase of Asia Cup in the host country.

So do I. But the shocker is, you're partially right but you're not being honest here. Pak is looked at as more unsafe than Ind.

Anyways, I just want the Asia cup to go on. I for one always enjoyed watching this 'Not Important Tournament' as per many commenters here ...

We all know Pakistan view is not good in the wesf due to it being a Muslim Nation, the post was about India, since some posters believe India is looked at in a postive way in the West. So i am right and I am being honest, in general South Asia as whole is not seen in a positive way.

And Pandya got injured and remained out of action for months. Many Indian players complained abuot playing in UAE in September in 2018. BCCI wont take a chance before WC and BAN seems to be doing the same...

Pandya is hardly an example to use, the guy was often injured.

Nothing happened to Rohit Sharma who probably had the worst fitness in the squad.

We all know Pakistan view is not good in the wesf due to it being a Muslim Nation, the post was about India, since some posters believe India is looked at in a postive way in the West. So i am right and I am being honest, in general South Asia as whole is not seen in a positive way.

I don't disagree with you at all. Unfortunately, it takes a couple of bad apples to ruin it for the rest.

So if all boards have no issue playing in PAK (except INDIA) and BCCI wants their matches at a neutral venue and PAK is offering that as a solution but other boards don't want it in UAE because of heat or wtv reasons. So ... why not play IND matches in SL/BD? Problem solved for all parties. I don't understand why this needs to be more complicated than it is honestly.

So if all boards have no issue playing in PAK (except INDIA) and BCCI wants their matches at a neutral venue and PAK is offering that as a solution but other boards don't want it in UAE because of heat or wtv reasons. So ... why not play IND matches in SL/BD? Problem solved for all parties. I don't understand why this needs to be more complicated than it is honestly.

You think the broadcasters would be happy travelling from one country to the other throughout the tournament?

Let’s say if Pakistan is in the first semi final and India are in the other semi final, how do they go from Pakistan to SL/BD before the start of the second SF which is usually a day after the first SF.

Its an Ideal opportunity for not only ACC but ICC,to promote the dyeing sport of cricket globally and make efforts to have Asia Cup 2023 across 7 continents with specifically the final if possible under water to have a paradigm shift in cricket.

Asia Cup 2023 should be renamed for the sake of promoting cricket as Asia Cup World Tour 2023
Participants
AFG, Ban , Ind, Nep, SL, Pak, HKG, Cricket Forefathers XI

Let them split in 2 groups with games taking place in Russia, Cyprus, Syria, Malavi Islands, Antarctica, Mozambique, Puerto Montt and 1x game under Water in China

What's the fuss about Asia Cup bar Ind v Pak rest of the games are snoozefest and have no marketability

You think the broadcasters would be happy travelling from one country to the other throughout the tournament?

Let’s say if Pakistan is in the first semi final and India are in the other semi final, how do they go from Pakistan to SL/BD before the start of the second SF which is usually a day after the first SF.

Per the hybrid model proposed by N. Sethi - only the first round of group games will be in Pakistan. Eveything else will be in a neutral venue so broadcasters only have to travel internationally once..

So then why is PCB asking for a hybrid model to UAE? Same concept different venue (SL/BD) to make all teams happy. Playing in UAE isn't considered as traveling to a different country?

What's wrong with PCB's demand in these situation , Sethi has been flexible, trying his best to resolve the issue, BCCI playing games and should be condemned .

BCCI is the ultimate boss. I am hopeful that BCCI will show him his real place.

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) president Nazmul Hasan Papon talked to media about the situation.

"No decision has yet been made by the ACC regarding the Asia Cup, but it will be. It is difficult to say where it will be. As far as I know, there are two options. One is the hybrid model. Another is in a country. If it is a hybrid model, it will be in Pakistan and UAE. And if it is a single country it can be any country. But very likely, Sri Lanka has more chances. Bangladesh was also proposed. But since it will rain at that time. So we did not respond,”

“The game will be an ODI. If it was T20 we could have taken a chance. In ODI, it seems that it will not be possible to play at that time. That's why when we were offered, we said it is not possible at that time”

Shahid Afridi, like many others, getting irritated by the flip-flops on the Asia Cup issue:

"Sometimes, I hear that the Asia Cup will be hosted in England, but I fail to comprehend why he [Sethi] feels the need to give interviews everywhere"

"I believe this chair calls for the bold soul who can defend it when challenged. When decisions are revised, it must be done with precision. If you have made a decision and then you are changing it, you need to change it in a certain way. Are you taking advice from someone, or are you doing it according to the person who is interviewing you?"

"Sometimes you talk about hosting the Asia Cup in Australia. You should take a stand because there is a strong and determined chairman sitting. So, I mean, Najam Sethi should know that this is a huge responsibility, and you are sitting on a powerful seat, so don't keep changing your stance repeatedly. Explain to your advisors or talk to them that whatever stance you are taking, we are with you, but let's move forward with consultation and avoid constantly changing things,"

Wonder which way he will post now?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">"We have been invited to witness IPL Play-Offs in India and during that trip, there will be discussions on the Asia Cup 2023. Nothing has been decided yet. But, I think the fate of Asia Cup 2023 will be decided over the next week or so. " SLC President Shammi Silva said today.</p>— Damith Weerasinghe (@Damith1994) <a href="https://twitter.com/Damith1994/status/1659992480266190854?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 20, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Its an Ideal opportunity for not only ACC but ICC,to promote the dyeing sport of cricket globally and make efforts to have Asia Cup 2023 across 7 continents with specifically the final if possible under water to have a paradigm shift in cricket.

Asia Cup 2023 should be renamed for the sake of promoting cricket as Asia Cup World Tour 2023
Participants
AFG, Ban , Ind, Nep, SL, Pak, HKG, Cricket Forefathers XI

Let them split in 2 groups with games taking place in Russia, Cyprus, Syria, Malavi Islands, Antarctica, Mozambique, Puerto Montt and 1x game under Water in China

What's the fuss about Asia Cup bar Ind v Pak rest of the games are snoozefest and have no marketability

Bangladesh and Afghanistan have a lot of fans who root for their teams. Even Nepal have a huge fanbase.

Sri Lanka vs Pakistan and Sri Lanka vs India games were very good last time.

So, I disagree that only India vs Pakistan is marketable. Other games are marketable too (to different crowds).

Bangladesh and Afghanistan have a lot of fans who root for their teams. Even Nepal have a huge fanbase.

Sri Lanka vs Pakistan and Sri Lanka vs India games were very good last time.

So, I disagree that only India vs Pakistan is marketable. Other games are marketable too (to different crowds).

Yes Nepal and Bangladesh will play a Friendly at MCG later this year in a deal worthwhile $8bn

A an animal documentary on National Geographic will get more eyeballs than a random Bangladesh v Nepal game

The Nepal crowd during that Qualifier play offs was insane. People were literally on the trees to watch the game. Bangladesh and Sri Lanka crowd is always amazing.

Who knows what will happen to SL at the Qualifiers though. They may not even qualify for the World Cup.

Yes Nepal and Bangladesh will play a Friendly at MCG later this year in a deal worthwhile $8bn

A an animal documentary on National Geographic will get more eyeballs than a random Bangladesh v Nepal game

Bangladesh vs Nepal game can get a large number of eyeballs from Nepalese fans. So, even this game can be marketable.

It is not just about Pakistan vs India. Sri Lanka are a good team too who can beat both Pakistan and India (as we have seen during last Asia Cup).

Bangladesh vs Nepal game can get a large number of eyeballs from Nepalese fans. So, even this game can be marketable.

It is not just about Pakistan vs India. Sri Lanka are a good team too who can beat both Pakistan and India (as we have seen during last Asia Cup).

Eyeballs don't mean money.

A final decision on the country - or countries - hosting the Asia Cup will be taken on the sidelines of the IPL final, which will be attended by a host of top Asian Cricket Council (ACC) dignitaries, BCCI secretary Jay Shah said on Thursday.

“As of now, the decision with regards to hosting of Asia Cup hasn’t yet been finalised. We are busy with IPL but the top dignitaries of Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC), Bangladesh and Afghanistan Cricket Board are coming to watch the IPL final. We will have a discussion and take a final decision in due course,” Jay Shah told.

The host for this year’s Asia Cup is Pakistan but with the Indian cricket team not travelling to the neighbouring country without the Central government’s permission, PCB chairman Najam Sethi had proposed a ‘Hybrid Model’ where four games are supposed to be hosted in their country.

It has been learnt from ACC sources that Sethi’s proposed Hybrid model that Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal and Afghanistan play four preliminary matches in Pakistan with India playing all its games at neutral venues, looks like a feasible solution although ACC had made no formal statements.

The two India-Pakistan games will also be held in Sri Lanka although the PCB wants them in Dubai.

“ACC head Jay Shah will summon an executive body meeting where a formal announcement will take place. The PCB doesn’t mind playing India at a neutral venue. While they would prefer Dubai because it would lead to more gate receipts, it is open to playing in another country (read Sri Lanka) provided the ACC matches the gate receipts amount (USD 0.5 million) that Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) received in 2022 from the Indo-Pak games in Dubai,” an ACC source privy to the development told PTI on conditions of anonymity.

While PCB maintains that playing the World Cup in India is subject to government clearance and is a matter to be treated in isolation from Asia Cup hosting rights, it is a foregone conclusion that neither BCCI nor ICC or the host broadcasters will be agreeable to an India-Pakistan World Cup match taking place in Bangladesh.

The window for the Asia Cup this year is between September 1-17.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/cric...ah-bcci-tournament-future/article66891969.ece

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) president Nazmul Hasan Papon talked to media about the situation.

"No decision has yet been made by the ACC regarding the Asia Cup, but it will be. It is difficult to say where it will be. As far as I know, there are two options. One is the hybrid model. Another is in a country. If it is a hybrid model, it will be in Pakistan and UAE. And if it is a single country it can be any country. But very likely, Sri Lanka has more chances. Bangladesh was also proposed. But since it will rain at that time. So we did not respond,”

“The game will be an ODI. If it was T20 we could have taken a chance. In ODI, it seems that it will not be possible to play at that time. That's why when we were offered, we said it is not possible at that time”

Playing an ODI in UAE at this time is incredibly dumb. The heat will really kill the players. Its almost 45 degrees.

What an insult, so after soo much hoo and haw, only 4 games will be held in Pakistan while the tournament will be held somewhere ellse

Going by the Indian media it looks like some kind of a Hybrid model will be worked out. Some games will surely be played in Pakistan.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) vice-president Rajeev Shukla dismissed the claims made by a certain section of the Pakistan media, stating that the BCCI has not given any approval for the Asia Cup 2023 to be held in Pakistan, and no discussion has taken place on the 'hybrid model' proposed by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) earlier in the month. With India standing firm on its stance of not travelling to Pakistan due to security reasons, the PCB had floated an idea of a hybrid model for the Asia Cup 2023, with some matches held in Pakistan and the rest in a neutral venue. Certain sections of the Pakistan media on Wednesday claimed that the BCCI has agreed to PCB's hybrid model proposal of hosting the Asia Cup 2023.

"BCCI has not given approval for the hybrid model to PCB for the Asia Cup. Nothing has been decided as yet. We will have a meeting regarding this. All the ICC members have been invited to the IPL final. The meeting will take place after that. And then a decision will be taken," Shukla said in an exclusive chat with timesnownews.com.

The BCCI vice-president also categorically denied any reports suggesting a possible venue for the high-octane India vs Pakistan World Cup 2023 match. There were earlier reports in the media that suggested that the BCCI has shortlisted the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad to host the much-anticipated clash.

"No venue has been selected for World Cup matches as of now," he said.

The BCCI secretary Jay Shah, who is also the president of the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) on Thursday also said that the decision in relation to Asia Cup 2023 will take place after the IPL 2023 final.

"The respective presidents of the Bangladesh, Afghanistan, and Sri Lanka Cricket Boards will grace the IPL 2023 final to be held on May 28 at the Narendra Modi Stadium. We will hold discussions with them for outlining the future course of action in relation to Asia Cup 2023,” Shah added.

The ODI World Cup 2023 is likely to start on October 5 and the shortlisted venues for the quadrennial event are Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, Dharamsala, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Lucknow, Indore, Rajkot, and Mumbai, according to a report.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/othe...des-update-on-ind-vs-pak-wc-venue/ar-AA1bGorG

What an insult, so after soo much hoo and haw, only 4 games will be held in Pakistan while the tournament will be held somewhere ellse

I was watching the interview of Najam Sethi with Karan Thapar. Sethi said that to safeguard the honor of home team, few matches must be played in Pakistan. Then the remaining tournament, including finals (with or without India) can be played in neutral venue. He was also not adamant on the choice of neutral venue. Well, he said he fancies it to be UAE due to gate money but SL is fine as well. To my surprise, throughout the interview he gave an impression that PCB is willing to go to any extent and willing to compromise for the sake of cricket.

But we all know it is too good to be true :91:

So I used my own judgement and intellect :13:

I think Sethi is playing a very smart game here. By agreeing to the neutral venue, he is setting a precedent for future tournaments. He is saying India need not come to Pakistan and PCB would arrange for neutral venue but in return they would expect the same from BCCI. Considering PCB need to only host India in neurtral venue only twice for Asia cup and CT2025 but India hosts multiple ICC events in future, BCCI will be bigger loser by virtue of this hybrid situation.

Very smart Sethi Sahab..very smart. :najam

But BCCI is one step ahead (hopefully) and would reject any such hybrid models.

:srini

Cricket is a dyeing sport children born after 2010 have zilch interest in cricket and none of them want to spent 8hrs of their precious life watching paint getting dry, however for BCCI the case is different with so much money poured in via gambling and fancy fixing none of the regulatory body speaks against them so far them its not a sport rather a fantasy manager game

I was watching the interview of Najam Sethi with Karan Thapar. Sethi said that to safeguard the honor of home team, few matches must be played in Pakistan. Then the remaining tournament, including finals (with or without India) can be played in neutral venue. He was also not adamant on the choice of neutral venue. Well, he said he fancies it to be UAE due to gate money but SL is fine as well. To my surprise, throughout the interview he gave an impression that PCB is willing to go to any extent and willing to compromise for the sake of cricket.

But we all know it is too good to be true :91:

So I used my own judgement and intellect :13:

I think Sethi is playing a very smart game here. By agreeing to the neutral venue, he is setting a precedent for future tournaments. He is saying India need not come to Pakistan and PCB would arrange for neutral venue but in return they would expect the same from BCCI. Considering PCB need to only host India in neurtral venue only twice for Asia cup and CT2025 but India hosts multiple ICC events in future, BCCI will be bigger loser by virtue of this hybrid situation.

Very smart Sethi Sahab..very smart. :najam

But BCCI is one step ahead (hopefully) and would reject any such hybrid models.

:srini

makes sense.

Cricket is a dyeing sport children born after 2010 have zilch interest in cricket and none of them want to spent 8hrs of their precious life watching paint getting dry, however for BCCI the case is different with so much money poured in via gambling and fancy fixing none of the regulatory body speaks against them so far them its not a sport rather a fantasy manager game

na, t20 cricket is enjoyed by alot of people. T20 has saved cricket.

na, t20 cricket is enjoyed by alot of people. T20 has saved cricket.

[MENTION=132335]Kianig89[/MENTION] is right. Most young indian fans watch cricket to keep track of their fantasy teams only. They are losing a lot of money here whereas fantasy apps, BCCI and some of their players who are promoting these apps are making a lot of money. They are getting addicted to these fantasy apps and not even realising it.

Fantasy sports apps are driving a surge in gambling addiction in India

All forms of gambling are illegal in India but there are no clear laws when it comes to fantasy gaming, which is quickly becoming a threat.

When Ravi learned about the online fantasy sports app Dream11 from his friends in 2018, he saw it as an opportunity to make a quick buck. As a cricket fan from a young age, Ravi, who requested anonymity, as his job does not authorize him to talk to the media, thought spending on fantasy cricket games could be lucrative — by investing just 50 rupees (around 65 cents), he had a chance to win 10 million rupees (over $130,000). For a low-ranking member of the Indian security forces, this was too good to pass up.

The 33-year-old started off by betting a couple of hundred rupees each day on cricket games; within a few months, he was making bets on football and basketball, sports he knew very little about. “If I wasn’t making teams, I would start feeling anxious,” said Ravi. “When I would suffer losses, I would think I had to recover it, and I would put in more money.”

At his worst, Ravi said, he would spend between 100,000 and 150,000 rupees per day. Within two years, he lost his entire savings, maxed out his credit card limit of 800,000 rupees, and had taken a bank loan to support his addiction. He incurred a total loss of 3,500,000 rupees, around six times his annual income.

One day in September 2021, panicked by the thought of telling his family about these losses, Ravi left his barrack and walked to a nearby railway station to end his life. He tweeted out a suicide note, which alerted his seniors, and a team was sent to rescue him. “I was then taken back to my unit and, from there, to a hospital,” Ravi told Rest of World.

https://restofworld.org/2022/fantasy-sports-apps-are-driving-a-surge-in-gambling-addiction-in-india/

Inzamam-ul-Haq speaking to the media:

"Wherever cricket happens, teams should go and play"

"This is for all the nations and not just Pakistan. It is Asia 11's (Asian Cricket Council) duty to ensure all teams participate. This is for ICC as well, that wherever their events take place, they must ensure all teams participate.

"As far as India is concerned, if they don't come to Pakistan, then we shouldn't go to India as well. Playing at a neutral venue is a good idea, its up to the governing body to ensure all nations play."

BCCI will convene its Special General Meeting in Ahmedabad today to discuss a five-point agenda ahead of the ODI World Cup to be hosted in India. The meeting headed by BCCI Secretary Jay Shah will make decisions on many major issues.

According to the news agency PTI, the five-point agenda to be discussed at the SGM includes infrastructure development, guidelines for appointment of physiotherapists and trainers in-state teams, formation of working group for ICC World Cup 2023, formation of committee of Women’s Premier League and ratification of prevention of sexual harassment policy.

The need for a new Prevention Of Sexual Harassment (POSH) policy has arisen after the sexual harassment allegations against the former BCCI CEO Rahul Johri. The Indian cricket board had formed a four-member Internal Complaints Committee (ICC) to look into the allegations but more members could be added to the committee, according to the new POSH policy.

The Working Group for ICC World Cup 2023 which will be held in India in October-November will include the BCCI president, secretary, treasurer, acting CEO and other senior officials. There is an urgent need to upgrade the infrastructure and make stadiums spectator-friendly before the 2023 ODI World Cup.

After the successful inaugural season of the Women's Premier League (WPL), the new committee must finalise a window when the tournament could be held.

"This year, Australian women's team will be playing international matches till third week of February and hence you can only start WPL after that. In case, you are looking at Diwali window, then there is men's World Cup," a WPL franchise told news agency PTI

Another item that is expected to be discussed at the meeting today includes deciding India's position on the Asia Cup. A meeting of the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) will also be held today to discuss the venue for the upcoming Asia Cup.

According to reports, the venue of the Asia Cup could be shifted from Pakistan to Sri Lanka. A move that could irk the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) headed by Najam Sethi.

(With inputs from PTI)

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is advocating for the Asia Cup to be moved to a neutral venue, away from Pakistan. An unofficial meeting of Asia Cup officials is set to take place during the IPL 2023 final in Ahmedabad on Sunday.

"The respective presidents of the Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Sri Lanka Cricket Boards will grace the IPL 2023 final to be held on May 28 at the Narendra Modi Stadium. We will hold discussions with them for outlining the future course of action in relation to Asia Cup 2023,” BCCI secretary Jay Shah, who is also the president of the Asian Cricket Council, said.

The Indian board is reportedly in favor of holding the entire tournament in Sri Lanka, while Pakistan is pushing for the UAE to be the neutral venue, despite the hot weather, for better gate receipts. The PCB has also linked the dispute over the Asia Cup to their participation in the October-November ODI World Cup to be held in India, although the schedule for the event has yet to be released.

DNA

Contrary to speculation that India’s three-match ODI series against Afghanistan may be scrapped due to time constraints, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) secretary Jay Shah has clarified that the two sides will lock horns ahead of the ODI World Cup.

“We will go ahead with the series this year before the World Cup,” Shah said in Ahmedabad on Saturday.

Initially, the Board had planned to hold the games between June 20 and 30 with the squad then leaving for the West Indies in the first week of July. But now, there are indications that the series might be pushed back by a month or so and be held around September once the new broadcaster is finalised.

However, things will be finalised once the BCCI officials have a discussion with Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) chief Mirwais Ashraf, who is currently in India for the final of the IPL.

BCCI to resume India A tours

Meanwhile, Shah also informed that the Board is “currently in conversation with England and New Zealand” over India A shadow tours.

The India A programme was instrumental in India creating a bench strength for Test matches, resulting in successive series triumphs in Australia. However, since the COVID-19 outbreak in 2020, the ‘A’ tours have been quite irregular. In 2021, India A team toured South Africa as a ‘shadow tour’ for the men’s team’s long series.

BCCI to create new committee to restructure its Prevention of Sexual Harassment Policy

Last year, the New Zealand A team toured India for a series, followed by India A’s tour of Bangladesh in December. Since then, there haven’t been any ‘A’ tours.

Asia Cup decision after ACC meet

Shah, who is also the head of the Asian Cricket Council, will have a meeting with the heads of the Bangladesh Cricket Board, Sri Lanka Cricket, and ACB on Sunday, to discuss the venues for the Asia Cup.

Being the host, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has proposed a hybrid model for the continental championship with Pakistan and UAE as venues, but it has still not found acceptance from the members.

“The future of the Asia Cup will be decided once we have a meeting with the ACC members,” Shah said. The Asia Cup is scheduled for September.

SportsStar

India A --> Travels to NZ and Eng

Pak A (Shaheens) --> Travels to Zimbabwe

Tells us a lot about why we are behind in Test rankings

India A --> Travels to NZ and Eng

Pak A (Shaheens) --> Travels to Zimbabwe

Tells us a lot about why we are behind in Test rankings

It depends New Zealand and England will properly play thier 2nd,Third team Zimbabwe are playing full strength xi.

Back