Riyan Parag Das - The next big thing from Assam, India

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Riyan Parag Das (born 10 November 2001) is an Indian cricketer who plays for Assam in domestic cricket and for Rajasthan Royals in the Indian Premier League (IPL).He was a part of the Indian Under-19 team that won the 2018 Under-19 Cricket World Cup.

Riyan Parag Career Stats​

Batting & Fielding
FORMATMatInnsNORunsHSAveBFSR100s50s4s6sCtSt
FC29501179815536.69258169.6631119573180
List A49443172017441.951677102.565814075250
T20s998718208677*30.231466142.29018137122430
Bowling
FORMATMatInnsBallsRunsWktsBBIBBMAveEconSR4w5w10w
FC293829051853505/688/14137.063.8258.1510
List A494418841550504/274/2731.004.9337.6300
T20s996110011205413/93/929.397.2224.4000

e6QRFqJ.jpeg

Indian domestic system is strong.

INdia's top two run getters in the SMAT (Syed Mushtsaq Ali Trophy ) - INdia's domestic T20 league.

79 sixes between them in 20 matches.

Screenshot-2024-03-28-152851.png

Nice to see some talent coming from Assam. His ability to middle the ball off the bat and timing of hitting shots are just flawless.

If Riyan sustains his form throughout this IPL, then he's 100 percent featuring in India squad for T20WC.

He was sensational against Delhi Capitals. We always see 2-3 great young batsmen in every IPL who light up the tournament with their fantastic batting and this season he seems one of them.

Second consecutive half-century by Riyan Parag... he scored 54 runs off 39 deliveries.

I saw some of his shots today. Was treating Nortje like a club level pacer. Looks like a genuine batting talent, with a range of gears. Very impressive.

How does India keep producing such mature high quality batsmen.

I saw some of his shots today. Was treating Nortje like a club level pacer. Looks like a genuine batting talent, with a range of gears. Very impressive.

How does India keep producing such mature high quality batsmen.
He paid his dues in Domestic.. 2 full seasons of good performance.

Riyan Parag Breaks Silence On Criticism, Social Media Trolling. Riyan said ahead of Rajasthan Royals's IPL game against KKR on Tuesday:

"Life on the outside of cricket really affects you. And that's one big major part which has played in my career is how I deal with it."

"It didn't really start out well, I took a lot of things to heart, that were being said about me, etc, whatever it was. I just had to figure out what mattered to me, whose opinions mattered to me, and I figured that out eventually And that has helped."

"I"m not really thinking about it (World Cup) to be very honest. If you told me last year I'd be in this position, I would not believe you."

"So I'm just really glad to be doing what I am doing, and I just want to continue that. I want to take it one game at a time, and focus on how I can win more matches for the team, because that's more important."

"Cricketing-wise, I think playing at No. 4 is, again, something which I'm used to doing in domestic cricket in different situations, more common situations, actually. But yeah, it's been a mix of both, emotionally and skill-wise."

"I feel i've been contributing a lot to the team and that's what I've been trying to do for the last few years, it hasn't really clicked. This time it has and I just want to continue that."

He is the next blue eyed boy of Indian cricket. My next big bet.

He is probably the most talented strokemaker in India after Rishab Pant.

As per media reports, Riyan Parag, the second highest run-scorer in the IPL 2024, might miss out on a berth in the ICC T20I World Cup 2024.

'What I saw was indisciplined, slightly arrogant player. But...': Lara unfiltered on Riyan Parag's IPL 2024 turnaround​

The 2024 Indian Premier League has seen some stellar individual batting performances; while a fair few of them have come from the usual suspects like Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma, and Shubman Gill, among other India stars, one player who is seemingly on a redemption arc in this season of the league is Rajasthan Royals' Riyan Parag. The RR youngster stands second in the Orange Cap list with 318 runs in seven matches and has remained key to the side's performances as it stays at the top of the league.

Parag endured a difficult time in the IPL prior to the ongoing season. He received team management's relentless backing but had little to show for it throughout his IPL career at Royals and consequently received significant criticism from fans and former cricketers alike. Brian Lara, the former West Indian captain and batting legend, also stated that he felt Parag was “indisciplined” and had a bit of “arrogance” in him, but he has redeemed himself brilliantly in the 2024 season.

“What I saw, and I'd say it on the national television… what I saw was an indisciplined young player, with a lot of talent. I just wondered how come they (RR) kept persisting (with him),” Lara said after he was picked Riyan Parag as his biggest impact player in the season among uncapped stars in the 2024 edition.

“He had that slight edge of arrogance – that is necessary – which is good, confidence is great. But now, it seems like he went away from last year's IPL... and he played in different leagues in India and scored runs, and his attitude, discipline, and focus is completely different. He has the biggest impact so far, and what I see is so solid that I believe it will continue throughout 2024 IPL,” said Lara further.

Parag boasts of an impressive strike rate of 161.42 in the season so far, and has smashed three half-centuries in seven innings. With 20 sixes to his name, the young batter from Assam is also the joint-second-highest six-hitter of the season, tied with West Indies' southpaws Sunil Narine (KKR) and Nicholas Pooran (LSG).

The youngster will return to action on Monday as the Royals meet Mumbai Indians in their rematch at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium in Jaipur.

Another superb knock by Riyan Parag made 77(48) against SRH while playing for RR. So has BCCI made the right decision to drop this young talented for the sake of Kohli?

What a change of fortune for Parag this season from a flop player to a top gun.
_20240502_231215.JPG

He is doing well in this IPL. In my opinion he could be selected only based on his fielding capabilities, he makes catching the ball look so easy.

Once again, Parag making the tough, fighting runs. Just the way he did in Ranji and SMAT before.

Massive miss from selectors to overlook him for WT20 squad to accommodate serial failures like Rohit and Kohli.

Parag now has 500 runs this season! By far his best year for Rajasthan. India next?

For some reason whenever I see him I'm reminded of Azam Khan if Azam Khan was actually any good and made an effort to improve his fitness.

just small trivia type of thingy.

His mother is also a national level swimmer.
His father is also a Ranji cricketer.

He looks an impressive player but I am anti Assamese so won't support him

''Don't Even Want To Watch...'' : Ignored From T20 World Cup Squad, RR Star Refuses To Predict Semi-Finalists

Rajasthan Royals' standout batsman Riyan Parag voiced his disappointment at not being included in India's T20 World Cup squad, despite delivering stellar performances in IPL 2024. The versatile all-rounder from Assam showcased consistent batting prowess for RR throughout the season. However, the selectors chose an alternate combination for the tournament taking place in the USA and the Caribbean. This decision appears to have left Parag feeling frustrated. His recent remarks ahead of India's inaugural match against Ireland on June 5 in New York might draw backlash from Indian supporters on social media.

Riyan Parag's dissatisfaction with being left out of the World Cup was clear from his recent statements. He showed little enthusiasm for the current tournament, opting not to make any predictions regarding the top four teams.

Parag mentioned that he wouldn't actively follow the matches and would simply check the outcome later. Furthermore, his message to Team India only consisted of well wishes, devoid of the usual fervor expected from a player deeply involved in the national team's endeavors.

In a video shared by Bharat Army on the social media platform X, Riyan Parag was requested to forecast his top four teams of the T20 World Cup, to which he responded : "It will be a biased answer but to be very honest, I don't even want to watch the World Cup. I'll just see who's winning it at the end and I'll be happy. When I play the World Cup, then I'll think about top 4 and all of that.''

The guy is a proper tool. There were few matches of Rajasthan Royals in his hometown, where he decided to stay at his home instead of the team hotel. One of his classmates from his school came to his home to meet him. This guy told his security guards to tell the schoolmate that he doesn't knows anyone by that name so he can't meet him. The visiting guy was literally in tears & absolute shock.

Riyan might have the talent, but he is second coming of Vinod Kambli. He might get an entry sooner or later in the national team, given his high profile connections, but he will be kicked out due to his attitude. This is coming from someone who knows the family in & out.

Last edited by a moderator:
He seems like the type of player that fans are just waiting for to fail so they can go on Twitter and tweet bomb him.

Definitely seems to have alot of confidence. Not entirely sure though if it's confidence or overconfidence

22(24) Pathetic innings against Zimbabwe today. Not sure he will get another chance soon.

The guy is a proper tool. There were few matches of Rajasthan Royals in his hometown, where he decided to stay at his home instead of the team hotel. One of his classmates from his school came to his home to meet him. This guy told his security guards to tell the schoolmate that he doesn't knows anyone by that name so he can't meet him. The visiting guy was literally in tears & absolute shock.

Riyan might have the talent, but he is second coming of Vinod Kambli. He might get an entry sooner or later in the national team, given his high profile connections, but he will be kicked out due to his attitude. This is coming from someone who knows the family in & out.
From what I have seen on forums most of the Awaam people are like this so it's not surprising.

Don't like his attitude..already feels like he is the best batsman in the world. Why is it difficult to be humble and a team player?

He was mediocre for years but had an excellent domestic and IPL season this time around. Should be patient and focussed as a place in Indian side is not as easy.

Needs to be persevered with.

He can clear the ropes easily and can bowl a few overs of legspin if needed. Him and Abhishek are a must for the Indian T20 side going forward.

Back