RNS Larsons UNIK bat 2012 Edition

Knightrider

Local Club Regular
Runs
After selling two of my SS TON Limited Edition bats I was itching to spend the money on another bat so I started to browse. I really wanted the Redback Paradox Limited Edition from ProDirectCricket but unfortunately I missed the deal.

My budget and price range for a bat was around £140 to £160 so since I didn't get Redback I looked on eBay and came across RNS bat. I always rated RNS very high but recently seeing Asad Shafiq being sponsored by RNS my love for RNS grew and I came across this which was being sold by Lorimer4cricket (quite a few people are aware of them here) and I knew it would be a quality stick as Peter Lorimer4cricket have brilliant products so as soon I saw the bat I fell for it.

So I got the bat and it was £140 and it is 2.10 and has decent amount of grains. However, since I use bats around 2.9ish mark the balance and feel of this bat is probably one of the best if not the best I have ever seen, the pickup is accumulate and balance is impeccable. It is not fully knocked but mallet response is very positive and it made me think if its so good right now how it will turn out once its fully knocked?

The finishing on RNS are probably the best in the world and they are easily competitor of likes of Newbery, Salix etc in terms of finish.

Over the years I have said this numerous times that SS's pressing is the best but let me tell you that RNS pressing is not very different from SS it is as good as SS.

I highly recommend RNS bats and if anyone is considering them then they get my vote.

Feel free to ask questions

Pictures..

1stRNSunikbat13.jpg

1stRNSunikbat15.jpg

1stRNSunikbat16.jpg

1stRNSunikbat18.jpg

1stRNSunikbat17.jpg

1stRNSunikbat3.jpg

1stRNSunikbat4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks. The edges are thick as GN scoop and even higher up on the bat the edges remain very thick. When I saw a tiny picture of this bat on ebay & from looking at the picture I guessed the edges would be around 40mm and when I got the bat and measured the edges are comfortably over 40mm.

thanks- It cost £140 inc delivery also free oiling/knocking in and clear scuff sheet fitted.

i had ths bat whn i wz 14 bt my uncle tld gve me ths bat nd i agreed coz i wz nt knowing tht ths bat wuld be helpful in future bt i hve played wth it d ping iz awesome nd middle iz d bst to d core fast bowlers jst be aware of ths bat.........................:p

your right Zahir, the ping from this bat is 2good. When you middle the ball the fielders dont stand a chance of stopping it..

Wow! another good one--really gearing up for the season Majid? :D

So what's next?

You should post pictures of your current kit when you get the chance.

Wow Majid, RNS looks nice.

I have been wondering about them lately, a team mate had one previously and talks highly of it, but I haven't seen much of them.

Could you show some photos with a tape measure showing the size of the edges?
What type of handle is used? 12 piece? Is this bat RNS's top of the line? Grains sure look nice.

Would you say this best is pressed soft for performance over longevity?

The middle looks quiet high, but it compensates with a bigger toe? how big would the toe thickness be? Are the "RNS" symbols on the edges burned in or printed?

Keep up the good work!

Wow Majid, RNS looks nice.

I have been wondering about them lately, a team mate had one previously and talks highly of it, but I haven't seen much of them.

Could you show some photos with a tape measure showing the size of the edges?
What type of handle is used? 12 piece? Is this bat RNS's top of the line? Grains sure look nice.

Would you say this best is pressed soft for performance over longevity?

The middle looks quiet high, but it compensates with a bigger toe? how big would the toe thickness be? Are the "RNS" symbols on the edges burned in or printed?

Keep up the good work!

Handle shape is oval & its standard only 4 piece but its still top quality performance is like a 12 piece handle jerk free(no vibration at all).

Yes the middle is quite high but its sort of very long middle. Nearly the whole bat face is a sweetspot. Better pressing on toe then SS.
All I can say about the pressing is its just done brilliantly amazing performance I would rate this bat in my best 3 ever bats.
Bro I'm not sure how long it will last as this is my 1st ever RNS bat, time will tell.

RNS symbols are lightly burned in.

How is the quality of the bat in comparison with some CA,SS and SG bats?

Normally when comparing bats I'm unsure which is better because there is not much difference but RNS bats quality is clearly better then CA, SS, SG.
Balance, ping, finishing is better and sweetspot is 2x bigger then SS & SG plus RNS are much cheaper then CA, SS & SG.

Last edited:
Wow! another good one--really gearing up for the season Majid? :D

So what's next?

You should post pictures of your current kit when you get the chance.

Yup getting ready for 2012 season.
Next is I want another top RNS bat and want to try mid range and lower end RNS bats. Peter Lorimer will get a new shipment of RNS bats in nxt 7-14 days & I hope he gets few grade 2 or 3 bats. Lorimers own label bats are made by RNS.

nice bat, where are RNS made (India rite?) and how thin is the bat near the shoulder?

Looks lovely and a bargain too I'd say.

Majid Bhai do you mind posting pictures of the handle? Would be interested in seeing it.

Also is the handle as thick as SS, SG, CA etc handles or thicker?

Looks lovely and a bargain too I'd say.

Majid Bhai do you mind posting pictures of the handle? Would be interested in seeing it.

Also is the handle as thick as SS, SG, CA etc handles or thicker?

thanks - Its about the same thickness not much difference difficult to say maybe slightly thicker.

rnsbathandle.jpg

Thanks for the picture, isn't that 12 piece handle?

If I'm not mistaken they have rubber strips while SS have cork right?

are they made in Jalandhar if so will pay a visit next time if i can.

I have been to RNS a while back.

They used to make a lot of the MRF bats- back when MRF Genius was the most sought after bat.

Got one of their unstickered bats back then - good stick! not thick edges but awesome pickup.

Only a couple of guys made the bulk of their bats. They weren't quite the Big timers then.

If they are selling in UK and what not they must be well known now.

Yes Anmol bhai it is in Jalandhar.

Here is their full address.

OFFICE:17 NEW COLONY COOL ROAD JALANDHAR 144001 PUNJAB INDIA
Factory : S145/146 INDUSTRIAL AREA JALANDHAR 144004 (PB) INDIA
Phone: +91-9872503400 Website : www.larsonsindia.com E-mail: benzasia@yahoo.com
FAX : 0091-181-5084401

Like.

In fact if you are in Jallandhar, you can go to some other cricket bat factories as well and take more pictures for us Anmol. :D

Off topic;

Are Gulab Jaman famous in Jallandar?

There is this Gulab Jaman shop in Gujranwala, Pakistan who easily has world's best GUlab Jaman.

Off topic;

Are Gulab Jaman famous in Jallandar?

There is this Gulab Jaman shop in Gujranwala, Pakistan who easily has world's best GUlab Jaman.

jalandhar is one of those oldest cities ( about 1700-1800 years old so really old) and due to (cricket, leather) trades centre it is still going really strong.

There are a lot of good food joints- been to a few around the area. A few good mithai places too. But I am not a local so cant say which place has the best of what.

But the best food I have tasted in Indian Punjab is Amritsar!

many of the places in Amritsar cook using slow cooking methods which imparts awesome flavour to most dishes. Now its really off topic. lol.

jalandhar is one of those oldest cities ( about 1700-1800 years old so really old) and due to (cricket, leather) trades centre it is still going really strong.

There are a lot of good food joints- been to a few around the area. A few good mithai places too. But I am not a local so cant say which place has the best of what.

many of the places in Amritsar cook using slow cooking methods which imparts awesome flavour to most dishes. Now its really off topic. lol.

You guys making me miss all the awesome food from Punjab :110::110::110:

Great post! I'm sure when I go to India I will contact you :D.

By the way, my Grandfather was born in Pune, how far is that from Amristar?

141176.jpg

U. Akmal wearing RNS thighpads. I remember him using RNS test gloves before he signed with GM.

Last edited:
lol won't be going to india naytime soon just came back about 4 months ago but couldn't go anywhere because grandmother was sick
Amritsar is definitely a nice city to visit lots of food :)

Does anyone have any info regarding the RNS bat / equipment being used by Travis Burt (Hobart Hurricanes in the BBL)? He made the fastest 50 (22 balls) of the tournament the other night including 3 6's in a row, all hit out of the ground! Incredible power hitting, hit bat seemed to have awsome ping!

Does anyone have any info regarding the RNS bat / equipment being used by Travis Burt (Hobart Hurricanes in the BBL)? He made the fastest 50 (22 balls) of the tournament the other night including 3 6's in a row, all hit out of the ground! Incredible power hitting, hit bat seemed to have awsome ping!

Welcome to Pak Passion, hope you enjoy your stay here

Travis Birt is one of my fav players, he played for derbyshire once and I went to watch. What exactly do you want to know abt RNS? do u want to buy the bats? If so you can buy them directly from RNS or if ur from UK then you can get them from lorimer4cricket.
RNS bats have brilliant hitting power. I dont hit many sixes but with this bat I feel more confident that I can clear the ropes,

Last edited:
Thanks, I did find the RNS site, but it doesn't have info beyond pictures. Just interested in what Travis Burt is using incl specs.

Email RNS and ask them about what kind of bat Travis Burtuses, they reply quickly within 24 hrs. I think he probably uses a bat around 2.9lb.

Why is hafeez using SF gloves??? isn't he contracted with mids?

Attachments

• hafeez.JPG
    hafeez.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,160
Hafeez :hafeez has a point in using different brands I guess..because to me Mids stuff look very very ugly..but not more than SS though..:)

Some are nice I have to say..
Even Taufeeq Umar is not a big fan of MIDS gloves or pads(not sure though)...

Attachments

• 141562.jpg
    141562.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 1,122
Can't spot which brand gloves is Taufeeq wearing, they look like old GM Duelist too!

Hafeez is wearing SS gloves there.

Good eyes! :14:

Not 2 surprising I guess because :hafeez is the professor after all....

Julian Millichamp says oval handles help you play straight bat shots so for Professor it makes sense, I can't imagine Afridi using a oval handle :)

I know he uses round, Taufeeq has very thin round handle too!

@ MAJID:

Bro, mashaAllah on the bat; have you used it in the nets as yet, whats the latest in terms of ping etc ?

I used this bat for the 1st time on (2nd march) against few throw downs by my brother. The bat is awesome effortless power almost the whole bat face is a sweet-spot but the edges were so sharp/pointy & would easily get damaged so as soon I came back after practice, I removed the scuff sheet and rounded off the edges and fitted edge tape and new clear scuff sheet.

I used this bat for the 1st time on (2nd march) against few throw downs by my brother. The bat is awesome effortless power almost the whole bat face is a sweet-spot but the edges were so sharp/pointy & would easily get damaged so as soon I came back after practice, I removed the scuff sheet and rounded off the edges and fitted edge tape and new clear scuff sheet.

Sounds nice bro mashaAllah, how did you round off the edges ?

With a wooden grip in cone and a mallet.

Really? That is something new we are hearing.

Wooden grip in cone?

Wow!

You are indeed at different level, all of your bats are exceptional and ping like no tomorrow and effortless shots go for six!

Your sixes are like 200 meters, I'm sure even David Warner's bat does not ping that well!

ICC should appoint you for bats as you can provide players bat where they just have to defend and will get boundaries.

Quite surprising.

Really? That is something new we are hearing.

Wooden grip in cone?

Wow!

You are indeed at different level, all of your bats are exceptional and ping like no tomorrow and effortless shots go for six!

Your sixes are like 200 meters, I'm sure even David Warner's bat does not ping that well!

ICC should appoint you for bats as you can provide players bat where they just have to defend and will get boundaries.

Quite surprising.

You alrite Tendaywala..... :93:
Why grumpy mate.... :eek:
All I can understand is your just jealous of his Bat collections:bash:
Show some respect and maturity..... grow up kiddo:haha

not wooden grip but the wodden handel of a mallet or cone though i perfer rounding it on the edge a kitchen table/counter(only if the table/counter edges are round).

Grip in cone/gripping cone is another name for a grip applicator.

showimage.asp

Bat makers use these to round off edges.

Last edited:
Majid, curious how you are able to compress the edges so much to "round them off" are you talking about taking the sharp edge on off? or are you talking about rounding part of the face also?

I try to take sharp edges off the face buy lightly, I mean lightly tapping them at a 45* angle with the mallet. It will take 10+ passes to do it. If you hit hard and try and do it in a couple of passes the edge will crack starting de-lamination of the face.

I've heard of pre-war bat preparation that included rubbing the bat against a cast iron bath tub to round off the edges but that was when pressing was rubbish.

Majid, curious how you are able to compress the edges so much to "round them off" are you talking about taking the sharp edge on off? or are you talking about rounding part of the face also?

I try to take sharp edges off the face buy lightly, I mean lightly tapping them at a 45* angle with the mallet. It will take 10+ passes to do it. If you hit hard and try and do it in a couple of passes the edge will crack starting de-lamination of the face.

I've heard of pre-war bat preparation that included rubbing the bat against a cast iron bath tub to round off the edges but that was when pressing was rubbish.

I am talking about making the sharp edges slightly round and not the bat face. I use the cone 1st and start very lightly tapping the edges at 45 degree angle, it didnt take long at all only few minutes.

Back