Sachin Tendulkar accepts Rajya Sabha nomination

ahamedirshad123

First Class Player
Runs
According to news channel CNN IBN Sachin Tendulkar has accepted the nomination for member of the Rajya Sabha.

The cricket icon and actress of yesteryear Rekha are among four eminent persons who have been recommended for nomination as members of Rajya Sabha.

39-year-old Tendulkar, who has brought many a laurel to the country through his exploits in the game, and Rekha, known for her brilliant and emotional portrayals in Hindi cinema in the 80s, will become members of Parliament under a provision of the constitution that allows the President to nominate 12 members to the Upper House.

There is no word from the Government on the identity of the other two are who have been nominated.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh sent a letter to the Ministry of Home Affairs on Wednesday which has been sent to President Pratibha Patil for notification, sources said.

Article 80 of the Constitution provides for nomination of persons having special knowledge or practical experience in matters such as literature, science, art and social service.

57-year-old Rekha was one of the top heroines of the 80s in Hindi films and and had won several national awards in her acting career.

Tendulkar's nomination to Rajya Sabha has come as a surprise against the backdrop of a long-standing demand for conferring of Bharat Ratna on him for his contribution to the game. He completed the historic achievement of scoring 100 international centuries in March this year.

Earlier in the day, Tendulkar, accompanied by his wife Anjali, met Congress President Sonia Gandhi at her residence.

Tendulkar would be the first active sportsman and a cricketer to be nominated to Rajya Sabha.

The House already has a member from the film world in Javed Akhtar, an eminent lyricist and script writer in Hindi cinema.

Both Rekha and Sachin Deserve it. Hopefully they do well.. so retirement not very far?

Should have waited till he retired

It is not as if he is entering into politics. He won't even attend the full session. IIRC, Lata Mangeshkar didn't speak on any topic in the Rajya Sabha in her whole tenure.

It is not as if he is entering into politics. He won't even attend the full session. IIRC, Lata Mangeshkar didn't speak on any topic in the Rajya Sabha in her whole tenure.
That is exactly I was thinking.

There seats are reserved for successful personalities from different sectors but that is for a reason. They are given these chance to do something for that sector instead of just their name being in the list.

I wish Sachin being from sports try to use this platform to raise some points about other ignored sports.

That is exactly I was thinking.

There seats are reserved for successful personalities from different sectors but that is for a reason. They are given these chance to do something for that sector instead of just their name being in the list.

I wish Sachin being from sports try to use this platform to raise some points about other ignored sports.

One thing I wish Sachin would do, was to speak for other sports and issues not related to cricket. He is such a huge figure, and only a few of the Indians who has popularity cutting across religions, regions and castes.

I wish we had our Imran Khan in Sachin.

The one time Sachin said that Mumbai is for everyone, the Shiv Sena went ballistic on him. Wish he had taken them to task. Perhaps he tries to be too nice not to offend anyone.

Let's see what value he adds to the Parliament. I am not hopeful at all.

One thing I wish Sachin would do, was to speak for other sports and issues not related to cricket. He is such a huge figure, and only a few of the Indians who has popularity cutting across religions, regions and castes.

I wish we had our Imran Khan in Sachin.

The one time Sachin said that Mumbai is for everyone, the Shiv Sena went ballistic on him. Wish he had taken them to task. Perhaps he tries to be too nice not to offend anyone.

Let's see what value he adds to the Parliament. I am not hopeful at all.

I feel he did well by not responding to shiv sena thugs.

He is a big figure and made his point. Even after SS crying, everyone supported Sachin. So he actually won without even retaliating. This even reduced the SS into a joke in that event.

Why to give them more exposure by retaliating when not needed.

Pardon my ignorance, but is this India's version of the UK House of Lords?

If he is continuing with his international career then he should not take this spot. We have too many useless idiots already, we dont want an absentee sports figure in the lot :facepalm:

Thanks. Makes sense.

Though I don't think Sachin's voice really lends itself to impassioned speeches...

:gul

Not surprised :sachin accepted it immediately...Politics in third world countries is best profession who puts personal gains/milestones ahead of everything else...:sachin infact is ideal candidate for it

Rahul Dravid would have been a better choice. RD has been active in many projects , wildlife etc. He's also more articulate and well-rounded compared to Sachin.

I am a bit unhappy with the decision . I cant understand as to why Sachin would want to associate with a party like congress who at this moment of time is going through worst patch as far as reputation in public is concerned , with all the scams and other corrupt cases that the party is involved into .

How can Sachin let Congress use his good image and populartity to bring some positivity to the sinking Ship .

I think its bad for Sachin's own reputation more than anything else . Congress wants some popular public figure to impose a fake mask of honesty and who else other than SRT could be more useful in such hour of need .

The people of India must vote against congress for the coming term as a lesson for all the scams that have occured in their tenure and ignore presence of any popular figures joining the party , the people shouldnt get emotional over a celebrity joining the party and get their vote influenced by cheap acts such as these .

Not surprised :sachin accepted it immediately...Politics in third world countries is best profession who puts personal gains/milestones ahead of everything else...:sachin infact is ideal candidate for it

:imran says hello

:imran says hello

Yeah because :ik had the exact same offer from Pakistan's equivalent.

:ik built:

A Cancer Hospital for those that have nothing
A Univeristy for those that have nothing
A Political party... for those that have nothing.

Could have easily just continued a playboy lifestyle.

Yeah because :ik had the exact same offer from Pakistan's equivalent.

:ik built:

A Cancer Hospital for those that have nothing
A Univeristy for those that have nothing
A Political party... for those that have nothing.

Could have easily just continued a playboy lifestyle.
just to show another politician from a third world country(little bit of trolling).sachin is also involved in lot of charity works
SRC[1]
SRC[2]

Last edited:
I am a bit unhappy with the decision . I cant understand as to why Sachin would want to associate with a party like congress who at this moment of time is going through worst patch as far as reputation in public is concerned , with all the scams and other corrupt cases that the party is involved into .

How can Sachin let Congress use his good image and populartity to bring some positivity to the sinking Ship .

I think its bad for Sachin's own reputation more than anything else . Congress wants some popular public figure to impose a fake mask of honesty and who else other than SRT could be more useful in such hour of need .

The people of India must vote against congress for the coming term as a lesson for all the scams that have occured in their tenure and ignore presence of any popular figures joining the party , the people shouldnt get emotional over a celebrity joining the party and get their vote influenced by cheap acts such as these .

These seats are appointed by the govt., not Congress.

We like Sachin Tendulkar, but why not Sourav Ganguly, asks CPI

"Sachin's nomination is a real recognization of sports talent," said the Left's Gurudas Dasgupta. But he added, "Sourav Ganguly could also have been considered when he was in his top form."

SRC

Sachin Tendulkar nominated to Rajya Sabha

Sachin Tendulkar has been nominated by government into Rajya Sabha and is going to begin a new political innings!!
Link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...nated-to-Rajya-Sabha/articleshow/12889791.cms

Frankly when he could not lead a bunch of motivated individuals in a cricket team, dono how he will lead the country :)
IMO it is a suicidal for an individual's respect to get into politics in the sub continent. But Imran Khan is an exception(Atleast I think so. Dono about other PPers) Can he become like him in India?

P.S: By the by I am a huge Sachin fan but only as a cricketer and nothing else.

Last edited:

Our constitution allows for 12 people in the Rajya Sabha who are nominated on the basis of being outstanding in the field of art, music, literature, etc. People like Lata Mangeshkar, Dara Singh were selected in this category. These people do not have any alliance with any political party. It doesnt matter who nominated these people, they are not members of any political party. Its like an honorary nomination

The constitution says that people will be nominated if they have special knowledge or practical experience in respect of such matters as literature, science, art and social service. There is no etc.

So the only possibility is that he got this nomination for social work.

The social work he has done has been very nominal which is in public knowledge. If he has done lots of social service and kept it well hidden, then he really deserves it.

My opinion: This was done to satisfy, for the time being, those who want a Bharat Ratna for him.

More surprised that he actually accepted this position. He never opposed the authority in cricket matters, never expressed his opinion on the controversies in cricket, and could not be a good leader of men. He will only be a trophy in the parliament, no other value that I see him adding.

Last edited:
Rahul Dravid would have been a better choice. RD has been active in many projects , wildlife etc. He's also more articulate and well-rounded compared to Sachin.

Considering he has retired and an intellectual person, but ofcourse that makes him ineligible for political role in the subcontinent :)

The constitution says that people will be nominated if they have special knowledge or practical experience in respect of such matters as literature, science, art and social service. There is no etc.

The social work he has done has been very nominal which is in public knowledge. If he has done lots of social service and kept it well hidden, then he really deserves it.

My opinion: This was done to satisfy, for the time being, those who want a Bharat Ratna for him.

More surprised that he actually accepted this position. He never opposed the authority in cricket matters, never expressed his opinion on the controversies in cricket, and could not be a good leader of men. He will only be a trophy in the parliament, no other value that I see him adding.

Err, the how did people like Lata and Dara Singh gt selected? You can argue singing is an art but then sports can be one too. And Dara singh got it for sports too

Agree with you.

But if Lata Mangeshkar can be nominated, what is wrong with Tendulkar? No nominated MPs has changed our system in the past. They will get the same funds to spend on welfare schemes as any other MP (10 crore rupees per year, I think) and on what they spend the money is where they can make a difference.

Err, the how did people like Lata and Dara Singh gt selected? You can argue singing is an art but then sports can be one too. And Dara singh got it for sports too

Singing is definitely an art. :facepalm: Sports is not.

Are you sure Dara Singh got it for sports, and not acting. He has acted in lots of movies.

Anyway, these nominations are more populist in nature. Not grudging Sachin his Rajya Sabha seat. Just that I don't want him to spoil his legacy. Didn't like the way he went on accepting awards for his 100th 100.

I agree the problem lies in my expectations from him, he is absolutely entitled to his choices.

As much as I like Sachin as a cricketer, this is a bad move. He was nominated by most corrupt party in India. Congress is struggling in India big time. They are looting India and their popularity is all time low and Sachin accepted their offer. Not expected from sachin, even if he want to join politics, congress is not the right party.
Regards

Singing is definitely an art. :facepalm: Sports is not.

Are you sure Dara Singh got it for sports, and not acting. He has acted in lots of movies.

Anyway, these nominations are more populist in nature. Not grudging Sachin his Rajya Sabha seat. Just that I don't want him to spoil his legacy. Didn't like the way he went on accepting awards for his 100th 100.

I agree the problem lies in my expectations from him, he is absolutely entitled to his choices.

If you have seen him act you wouldn't be asking that question.

I don't see the point on the clause of nomination of MP to rajya sabha in constitution.

Its good in paper but what it serves practically? Nearly ignorable.

These sports, movie celebrates don't have the background to make an impact while considering political ground.

Hardly any of these MPs even raise voices. The vision was well thought, but it has become only a formality now.

And as for serving society goes, gambhir and bhajji are doing a way greater job than tendu ever did.

Yes, thats exactly why Dara Singh was nominated for sports (look it up). Admit it, people have a problem just because its Sachin, otherwise no one would utter a word

Nominal? Again look it up

Its not that difficult to give him a Bharat Ratna either, if the goverment wants so dont know why this need. He will get the Bharat Ratna sooner or later

If you knew anything about our constitution and history you will know these 12 posts have been there since 1950s as honourary psots. No one asked what amazing changes Lata Mangeshkar or Dara Singh brought to the table. How they were good leaders. In fact neither of them even attended parliament more than a couple of times. Maybe Rekha, who is nominated along with Sachin, will not be a trophy and bring radical changes as a leader to the country

But hey, this is Sachin, lets find a way to bash him and question his every move. As for him accepting the postion, MPs are a previlaged lot in India and the post is almost king like. Heck I will accept the post only to avoid standng in queues in airports and having the luxury to turn up 5 mins before the flight departure

Last edited:
I don't see the point on the clause of nomination of MP to rajya sabha in constitution.

Its good in paper but what it serves practically? Nearly ignorable.

These sports, movie celebrates don't have the background to make an impact while considering political ground.

Hardly any of these MPs even raise voices. The vision was well thought, but it has become only a formality now.

And as for serving society goes, gambhir and bhajji are doing a way greater job than tendu ever did.

The upper house or the Rajya Sabha was only meant as a check point for the lower house or the Lok Sabha. the Lok sabha is the (or supposed to be the ) direct voice of the people and the rajya sabha is supposed to be the voice of the super educated and knowledgable people who act as a sober voice for the Lok sabha

BTW, even the other MPs of Rajya Sabhas are nominated and not elected albeit under various parties

As for Bhajji and Gambhir, LMAO, how? By abusing others and making faces?

Last edited:
I dont know why its being considered an honour when Tendulkar will be part of a House filled with crooks, murderers and whatnot from what ive read in the media

I dont know why its being considered an honour when Tendulkar will be part of a House filled with crooks, murderers and whatnot from what ive read in the media

There have been fixers in every cricket team which doesnt mean that the honest Cricketers must stop representing their team due to few or more corrupt individuals .

One has to be in the system to change the system .

The upper house or the Rajya Sabha was only meant as a check point for the lower house or the Lok Sabha. the Lok sabha is the (or supposed to be the ) direct voice of the people and the rajya sabha is supposed to be the voice of the super educated and knowledgable people who act as a sober voice for the Lok sabha

BTW, even the other MPs of Rajya Sabhas are nominated and not elected albeit under various parties
these 2 process of nominating and selecting are very different.

Tendu could never voice in his own field even after getting support from his team mate. Sehwags remark,'tendu speaks only when he scores a century' show how frustration the team members are due to his passiveness. He'l be just a flower vase in the rajya sabha. Good to look at, serves nothing.

As for Bhajji and Gambhir, LMAO, how? By abusing others and making faces?

well.... Bhaji and GG has established institutions for poor kids. They are trying to give scholarships to bpl students. I don't care what their personal behavior is untill they are doing social work like this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z8NK3dXqkm0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bal Thackarey Mocks Sachin Tendulkar, Rajiv Shukla reacts..that was a cheap comment from Thackarey as usual!!

Yes, thats exactly why Dara Singh was nominated for sports (look it up). Admit it, people have a problem just because its Sachin, otherwise no one would utter a word

Nominal? Again look it up

Its not that difficult to give him a Bharat Ratna either, if the goverment wants so dont know why this need. He will get the Bharat Ratna sooner or later

If you knew anything about our constitution and history you will know these 12 posts have been there since 1950s as honourary psots. No one asked what amazing changes Lata Mangeshkar or Dara Singh brought to the table. How they were good leaders. In fact neither of them even attended parliament more than a couple of times. Maybe Rekha, who is nominated along with Sachin, will not be a trophy and bring radical changes as a leader to the country

But hey, this is Sachin, lets find a way to bash him and question his every move. As for him accepting the postion, MPs are a previlaged lot in India and the post is almost king like. Heck I will accept the post only to avoid standng in queues in airports and having the luxury to turn up 5 mins before the flight departure

You are reading too much into my views. I clearly stated that the problem lies in my expectations from Sachin, and he is absolutely entitled to do what he wants.

Not everyone who disagrees with Sachin fans is anti Sachin. Typical Sachin fans' victim mentality. Any opinion that does not agree with you is not Sachin bashing.

Still no proof that Dara Singh was nominated for sports. Dara Singh was a sportsman if you consider WWE a sport. He was not a good actor either. In a country which has had some top class sportsmen, how come it was only Dara Singh so far, and no one else who was nominated. It seems it was just a political decision, for neither he was a good actor nor a sportsman. But then when have we followed the constitution.

Of course, except Shabana Azmi, I don't recall any of these celebrities doing anything worthwhile. That strengthens my point, that Sachin will be just another trophy addition to the Parliament.

And just in case you missed what I said. Let me bold it for you.

The problem lies in my expectations from Sachin, and he is absolutely entitled to do what he wants.

The thing is, we need a sports visionary in the parliament. Someone, who can push for:
- More investment in the youth at district/state/nation level. Develop sports infrastructure
- Corporate sponsorship in other sports including swimming/archery/wrestling and not just limited to cricket/hockey etc.
- Increase sports and fitness awareness. Make it mandatory at high school/college levels.
- 5 yr vision for participation in international events and winning medals.

Nothing about Sachin even remotely indicates that he would even raise one of these issues. Besides, I doubt if he will even speak in Parliament or put in sufficient attendance. Anyone know how many times Azhar has spoken in Parliament ? Just once I think, just mumbled some nonsense....

Its about time, people realized who Sachin's constituency really is.. its just :sachin

Last edited:
I am sure he will get the Bharat Ratna soon. The clamour has been growing from Sachin fans, which includes the likes of Maharashtra Govt, ex Cricketers and Baba Ramdev.

Bharat Ratna is conferred for "artistic, literary, and scientific achievements, as well as "recognition of public service of the highest order". I am sure the Govt will find some way to fit Sachin in that description.

I am sure he will get the Bharat Ratna soon. The clamour has been growing from Sachin fans, which includes the likes of Maharashtra Govt, ex Cricketers and Baba Ramdev.

Bharat Ratna is conferred for "artistic, literary, and scientific achievements, as well as "recognition of public service of the highest order". I am sure the Govt will find some way to fit Sachin in that description.

What infuriates me about all this is how BR is being politicized. So far, every single recipient of BR has been deserving of the accolade. If this becomes a norm, then this just would become a farce and a tool of appeasement.

these 2 process of nominating and selecting are very different.

Tendu could never voice in his own field even after getting support from his team mate. Sehwags remark,'tendu speaks only when he scores a century' show how frustration the team members are due to his passiveness. He'l be just a flower vase in the rajya sabha. Good to look at, serves nothing.

lol.. my that was my signature for sometime..

IMO sachin is not good enough to be in politics, guys like kumble , dravid or dada are better choices than him..
last week manjrekar sais that when indian players were forming a players union , kumble was in the front and sachin was a non participant.. :(
congress played a game and sachin was caught and bowled by them :)))

as a person sachin can be trolled easily like his fans , very good example is how he was trolled by andy caddick in 2003 wc.. caddick said something like sachin is just a okish player and not great b4 the game , but sachin took it personally and he launched his atatck agsint him when he came to bowl..
though caddick didnt succeed in getting his wicket , he succeeded in trolling sachin with little effort :nasser

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z8NK3dXqkm0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bal Thackarey Mocks Sachin Tendulkar, Rajiv Shukla reacts..that was a cheap comment from Thackarey as usual!!

:)) :))
thackery trolled and rajiv shukla reacted.. :facepalm:
your video deserves a separate thread and i am sure N_H will be happy to see that

our ex CM karunanidhi is a greater troll than Thackarey :ajmal

Surprised that Bal Thakeray said that about Sachin. I thought Sachin was the symbol of Maratha Pride. Maybe it has got to do something with him being friends with Raj Thakeray.

Surprised that Bal Thakeray said that about Sachin. I thought Sachin was the symbol of Maratha Pride. Maybe it has got to do something with him being friends with Raj Thakeray.

every indian knows the reason behind thackereys comment

Last edited:
What infuriates me about all this is how BR is being politicized. So far, every single recipient of BR has been deserving of the accolade. If this becomes a norm, then this just would become a farce and a tool of appeasement.

Exactly.. Bharata Ratna is one highest honour in India..and I am glad never has it been in controversy. Everybody... Kalaam,Lata Mangeshkar, Amartya Sen,subbalakshmi,Tata,Patel ..everybody who got it deserved it and were given it with out any pressure from media or people. I think Sachin is worthy of this accolade, but not now...he should get it after 20 yrs so..too much political ,media noise around the award.

Took the oath today, good luck. :)

146152.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iqRZfaZ4BTA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shock, horror! Sachin actually turns up to work.

Why ‘worst performer’ Sachin Tendulkar had to attend Rajya Sabha

Sachin Tendulkar and boxer Mary Kom was present in Rajya Sabha after Samajwadi Party MP Naresh Agarwal had questioned absence of nominated members from the Upper House of the Parliament

Former cricketer Sachin Tendulkar attended the Rajya Sabha on Thursday. Though Tendulkar attended the proceedings, he was passive at best, and didn’t ask any questions either. Boxer Mary Kom was also present in the Upper House of the Parliament. (India vs Sri Lanka Colombo Test Live)

This development comes two days after Samajwadi Party MP Naresh Agarwal had questioned absence of nominated members from Rajya Sabha. Agarwal had asked Sachin Tendulkar and actress Rekha to resign from the Rajya Sabha.

Speaking in the Upper House of Parliament, he said: “They should resign if they are not interested in Parliament They are hardly present in Parliament.”

This was not the first time that Agarwal has raised the issue.

In March, Agarwal said, “We have been yearning to see the presence of nominated members. They never come to the house. The entire session is over, but we haven’t seen them, be it Tendulkar or film actress Rekha or others.

Sachin Tendulkar and Rekha were the worst performers in attendance in the Rajya Sabha among the 12 nominated members.

http://m.hindustantimes.com/cricket...his-absence/story-IgfnbH5qDlszQzqq9nB1dI.html

They need to get rid of this worthless Rajya Sabha. I simply do not understand what purpose it serves.

It is nothing but a repository of the friends and followers of politicians who are incapable of winning elections - a sort of rewarded sycophants club.

And most of these corrupt bootlickers are millionaires, and they enjoy massive perks as Rajya Sabha MPs, all at the taxpayer's expense.

They need to get rid of this worthless Rajya Sabha. I simply do not understand what purpose it serves.

It is nothing but a repository of the friends and followers of politicians who are incapable of winning elections - a sort of rewarded sycophants club.

And most of these corrupt bootlickers are millionaires, and they enjoy massive perks as Rajya Sabha MPs, all at the taxpayer's expense.

wait. they dont have any leislative powers?

isnt it just like the Senate?

It's a copy-paste of the English House of Lord's.

And the Lok Sabha is the House of Commons.

So it's more like a status thing than an actual legislative body? Suits someone like Tendulkar down to the ground. He doesn't come across as a particularly studious person like say Dravid/Dhoni

I thought i was reading about Senate of Pakistan! India's Rajya Sabha = Senate of Pakistan

I thought i was reading about Senate of Pakistan! India's Rajya Sabha = Senate of Pakistan

Not quite. I don't know if the standards have fallen in recent times, but the Senate has always had a place for party ideologues, ones who were more on the intellectual side of things. They used to have some high calibre debates in the Senate.

Also the Senate does have legislative power, and the thing that sets it apart from the National Assembly is that all provinces get equal representation. No legislation can pass with just the one province riding roughshod through the National Assembly. Finally, the Senate cannot be disolved, and since Senators are elected for six years, it stops one party from sweeping both houses of Parliament in a single election.

Not quite. I don't know if the standards have fallen in recent times, but the Senate has always had a place for party ideologues, ones who were more on the intellectual side of things. They used to have some high calibre debates in the Senate.

Also the Senate does have legislative power, and the thing that sets it apart from the National Assembly is that all provinces get equal representation. No legislation can pass with just the one province riding roughshod through the National Assembly. Finally, the Senate cannot be disolved, and since Senators are elected for six years, it stops one party from sweeping both houses of Parliament in a single election.

That's true they do have some legislative power but these days Senate seats are being sold and awarded to buddies instead of ideologues. Senate seats are also used for politicians without any vote bank or constituencies to award them ministries. In recent past Mushahidullah, Pervez Rasheed, Ishaq Dar all enjoyed minister status thanks to their senate seats.

That's true they do have some legislative power but these days Senate seats are being sold and awarded to buddies instead of ideologues. Senate seats are also used for politicians without any vote bank or constituencies to award them ministries. In recent past Mushahidullah, Pervez Rasheed, Ishaq Dar all enjoyed minister status thanks to their senate seats.

All valid criticisms. However, it cuts both ways. Someone competent would be unable to be minister if they weren't also politicians popular enough to win an NA seat (not that there are many of those, but its possible).

However, the fact that each province gets equal representation makes the Upper House critical in my book. No legislation can pass without the Senate's approval, and even if a party fills their seats with nobodies who bought the seats or were awarded by the leadership, they still can't control the chamber unless the sweep successive elections across the country. There was a time in 1997 when Nawaz Sharif wanted to pass the "Shariat Bill," and he would've got his National Assembly stooges to rubber stamp that. It was the Senate that stood in the way, and without their consent, it wouldn't have passed, and it didn't. Nawaz even brought busloads of maulvis from an obscure extremist outfit to protest outside the Senate and threaten the Senators, but they didn't budge.

It's a copy-paste of the English House of Lord's.

And the Lok Sabha is the House of Commons.

Yes, but the English House of Lords has some standards for entry.

Our Rajya Sabha is a joke in comparison. It is packed with pontificating losers.

The ideal Rajya Sabha would be one that is comprised mostly of technocrats, scientists, social workers and non-political people from various other walks of life. Such an upper house would provide a perfect mechanism of check and balance and prevent politically motivated bills from getting passed. Instead it is full of politicians, random sportspersons and film stars.

I don't see the Rajya Sabha adding any value to our polity.

Last edited:
Back