Saud Shakeel - A viable T20 option?

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
In a recent interview, Rilee Rossouw spoke about Saud's progress as a T20 player:

"I think Saud Shakeel has been one of our better batting performers throughout this whole competition and he's come in after a couple of years of waiting to play and he's really put up his hand phenomenally like really good. He's batted really well and so good to see from Quetta Gladiators fan point of view that he's doing well and that too top of the order, it's not always easy and he's really just like flourished in that department,"

His recent PSL performances

a8XM8eB.png

Abrar Ahmed and Saud Shakeel fined for code of conduct breaches

Quetta Gladiators’ Abrar Ahmed and Saud Shakeel have both been fined five per cent of their match fees for Level 1 breaches of HBL PSL’s code of conduct during their side’s HBL PSL 9 fixture against Islamabad United at the National Bank Stadium in Karachi on Friday night.

Abrar was found to have violated Article 2.4 of the HBL PSL Code of Conduct, which reads as: “Disobeying an umpire’s instruction during the match”.

The incident occurred in the 19th over of Islamabad United’s batting, when, while fielding, Abrar rolled the ball all along the ground despite being instructed by the umpires not to do so.

In a separate incident, in the same match, Saud was found to have violated Article 2.5 of the HBL PSL Code of Conduct, which reads as: “Using language, actions or gestures which disparage or which could provoke an aggressive reaction from a batter upon his/her dismissal during a match”.

After dismissing United’s batter Salman Ali Agha in the 12th over, Saud went close to Salman and made remarks which could have provoked the batter.

Both players pleaded guilty to the charges and accepted the sanctions proposed by match referee Mohammad Javed.

The charges were imposed by on-field umpires Ahsan Raza and Chris Gaffaney.

Where would you play him?

He's useless unless he opens? He can be a backup for saim assuming saim is not able to click.

Because rizwan is our only wk and he'll be captain, Rizzu won't move.

The top order of saim, rizwan, Babar, fakhar.

Saud will be useless at 5.

With the likes of Babar, Saim, and Rizwan, it is very unlikely that he will get a chance in Pakistan T20I side but he can be a decent option in ODI cricket.

He is a very handy T20 batter.

The only concern for me is whether he can play in the middle order because with players like Saim and Farhan he won't be preferred for the opening slot.

I think he has a future in ODI as an opener but not at all in T20 cricket
No brother, we can't make everyone an odi opener. Saud should have a prosperous career as a handy middle order option for Pakistan at no 4.

With babar at no 3.

Openers should be fakhar and saim full time, with another aggressive opener replacing fakhar however if Abdullah can be groomed to be an aggressive superstar then he and saim should be our future openers once fakhar is retired.

International record says he is a little too slow for T20. Yes he has played some fairly quick innings lately but that's only at PSL level. Keep him for ODIs and Tests.

Saud isn't the answer. Best bet is to groom saim and find another aggressive opener to take the mantle

No brother, we can't make everyone an odi opener. Saud should have a prosperous career as a handy middle order option for Pakistan at no 4.

With babar at no 3.

Openers should be fakhar and saim full time, with another aggressive opener replacing fakhar however if Abdullah can be groomed to be an aggressive superstar then he and saim should be our future openers once fakhar is retired.
Abdullah is timid

In my opinion, Saud Shakeel is the answer to Pakistan's long-standing middle-order woes in T20 cricket. I've been impressed by his consistent performances in the PSL and National T20 Cup, where he's demonstrated his versatility as a batsman. He's shown he can anchor the innings and also finish matches with his impressive striking ability. What stands out to me is his impressive strike rate of over 130 in T20 cricket - that's some serious firepower!

Shakeel's strong technique and ability to rotate the strike make him a perfect fit for the number four or five spot, a position that's been a problem area for Pakistan for far too long. Plus, his ability to handle both spin and pace with ease is a massive advantage. What I love about Shakeel is that he's not just a power hitter; he can rotate the strike efficiently, keeping the scoreboard ticking and setting the stage for the big-hitters like Asif Ali to come in and finish the job. In my book, Shakeel is the solution Pakistan needs to stabilize their middle order and take their T20 game to the next level

In my opinion, Saud Shakeel is the answer to Pakistan's long-standing middle-order woes in T20 cricket. I've been impressed by his consistent performances in the PSL and National T20 Cup, where he's demonstrated his versatility as a batsman. He's shown he can anchor the innings and also finish matches with his impressive striking ability. What stands out to me is his impressive strike rate of over 130 in T20 cricket - that's some serious firepower!

Shakeel's strong technique and ability to rotate the strike make him a perfect fit for the number four or five spot, a position that's been a problem area for Pakistan for far too long. Plus, his ability to handle both spin and pace with ease is a massive advantage. What I love about Shakeel is that he's not just a power hitter; he can rotate the strike efficiently, keeping the scoreboard ticking and setting the stage for the big-hitters like Asif Ali to come in and finish the job. In my book, Shakeel is the solution Pakistan needs to stabilize their middle order and take their T20 game to the next level
He's the answer to t20 and odi.

He and Abdullah. This slow slow nonsense needs to be put aside.

In no universe can players who have zero footwork and bottom hand everything( Shadab), Have reactions slower then a snail( Chacha) and someone who has no cricketing strokes, no footwork, just one swing for the stands shot and can't even run and keep properly (Azam) warrant a place over 2 established batsmen with solid fundamentals and a solid technique.

SR isn't an issue. Pakistan doesn't have a SKY waiting around.

Goal is to develop players and turn them world class. A new saeed anwar ain't dropping from the sky for Pakistan lol.

In a recent interview, Rilee Rossouw spoke about Saud's progress as a T20 player:

"I think Saud Shakeel has been one of our better batting performers throughout this whole competition and he's come in after a couple of years of waiting to play and he's really put up his hand phenomenally like really good. He's batted really well and so good to see from Quetta Gladiators fan point of view that he's doing well and that too top of the order, it's not always easy and he's really just like flourished in that department,"

His recent PSL performances
Could be, considering his performance for QG in PSL 2024.
He had 323 runs, with 36 average and 142 strike rate, quite impressive stats.

Could be, considering his performance for QG in PSL 2024.
He had 36 average with 142 strike rate, quite impressive stats.

Why he wasn't picked for the WC? Strange!
Numerous players were left put including Muhammad Ali, Agha Salman, ABD, Sahibzada Farhan, and Usama Mir.

It wasn't just him. This is PCB; that's what takes place here.

Numerous players were left put including Muhammad Ali, Agha Salman, ABD, Sahibzada Farhan, and Usama Mir.

It wasn't just him. This is PCB; that's what takes place here.
In that list Usama Mir is a very ordinary leggi. I saw him bowl several times. Not an international quality bowler at all. Pakistan should not consider him.

PSL yes, but we all know PSL is at least two levels below international cricket standard.
We don't have anything to try right now so why not give him a chance?

At least this guy has come up playing proper domestic cricket so I am sure he won't disappoint in international cricket too.

We don't have anything to try right now so why not give him a chance?

At least this guy has come up playing proper domestic cricket so I am sure he won't disappoint in international cricket too.
He should definitely be given a chance, I’m not saying he shouldn’t be. Any guy who scores in the domestic cricket should be rewarded, but he won’t be someone who would consistently be scoring at 145+ SR in international cricket unless he works on his game. He will be another 125-130 SR player. Also, he shouldn’t be opening. He plays spin well, so he should be playing in the middle order.

He should definitely be given a chance, I’m not saying he shouldn’t be. Any guy who scores in the domestic cricket should be rewarded, but he won’t be someone who would consistently be scoring at 145+ SR in international cricket unless he works on his game. He will be another 125-130 SR player. Also, he shouldn’t be opening. He plays spin well, so he should be playing in the middle order.

I believe in the middle order he will stay a strike rate of 125 but if he opens he might make better use of the powerplay as we have already seen him playing for Quetta as an opener his strike rate was even better than Jason Roy's. However I doubt the PCB will consider him for T20 cricket... they will stick to that "No Look" stupidity.

I believe in the middle order he will stay a strike rate of 125 but if he opens he might make better use of the powerplay as we have already seen him playing for Quetta as an opener his strike rate was even better than Jason Roy's. However I doubt the PCB will consider him for T20 cricket... they will stick to that "No Look" stupidity.
He doesn’t have the ability to excel as an opener. He can do well in PSL but would be a disaster in international cricket. It’s better to groom Abdullah Shafiq as an opener.

Play Saud and Abdullah in ODI and T20’s staring now..

We’ll reap the rewards in the 2025 CT.

They are the future - not rubbish like Shadab, Azam, Chachu, Saim etc.

Play Saud and Abdullah in ODI and T20’s staring now..

We’ll reap the rewards in the 2025 CT.

They are the future - not rubbish like Shadab, Azam, Chachu, Saim etc.
Tell me a line up with Saud and Abdullah

Pakistan need to need identify a pair for ODIs and T20Is and stick with them at least until Champions Trophy and 2026 T20 WC, respectively.
ODIs
Fakhar Zaman
Abdullah Shafique

T20s I’m not sure right now.
One can be Abdullah Shafique (I’m not sure if he’s there yet though, needs to work hard).

Saud Shakeel does not have the game to be a successful T20I batter. He is quite limited with his range of shots and doesn't have alot of power. He has decent potential in ODIs and Tests but in the T20 team he's going to be another batter playing that anchor role.

Tell me a line up with Saud and Abdullah

1. Saim
2. Babar
3. Abdullah
4. Saud
5. Mohammad Haris
6. Aamer Jamal
7. Usama Mir
8. Shaheen Afridi
9. Mohammad Amir
10. Naseem Shah
11. Ihsanullah

Saud Shakeel does not have the game to be a successful T20I batter. He is quite limited with his range of shots and doesn't have alot of power. He has decent potential in ODIs and Tests but in the T20 team he's going to be another batter playing that anchor role.

Actually no Saudi’s range of shots is pretty expansive. Look at the last PSL he can pull, play straight, sweep, reverse sweep etc.

Saud should mostly be an odi and test bat, in t20 he should only come out when a collapse happens

Our t20 team should be explosive batters from 1 to 4, with 5 and 6 being accumulators to protect Pakistan in case of a collapse, if the top order kicks off then no need to bring in saud to bat( And yes Australia, England all makeshift)

1) Shabzada farhan
2) Sharjeel Khan/ Fakhar Zaman
3) Muhammad Haris(C)
4) Tayyab Tahir
5) Saud Shakeel (Only should come if a collapse happens, then should be promoted at no 4)
6) Salman Ali Agha (Same as saud, Only enter for a collapse, at 5, these 2 can bat through then)
7) Arafat Minhas (give this kid a run, can be a better version of Imad Wasim)
8) Naseem Shah (Kid can bat a bit)
9) Haris Rauf (Tbh he wasn't bad in the tournament should get a bit of a longer run)
10) Mohammad Ali
11) Abrar Ahmed

For odi it should be

1) Fakhar Zaman
2) Shabzada Farhan/Abdullah Shafiq
3) Babar Azam
4) Saud Shakeel
5) Tayyab Tahir
6) Salman Ali Agha( Makeshift should be shuffled across the order depending on situation)
7) Muhammad Haris (WK)(C)
8) Mir Hamza( Kid is good in longer formats)
9) Naseem Shah
10) Mohammad Ali
11) Abrar Ahmed

And for Test

1) Abdullah Shafiq
2) Shabzada Farhan
3) Babar Azam
4) Saud Shakeel (C)
5) Shan Masood (Let him bat here, he can attack and bazzball a bit)
6) Salman Ali Agha
7) Muhammad Rizwan (WK)
8) Mir Hamza
9) Naseem Shah
10) Mohammad Ali
11) Abrar Ahmed

Actually no Saudi’s range of shots is pretty expansive. Look at the last PSL he can pull, play straight, sweep, reverse sweep etc.
I don't think that he has the power game though. He will rely more on cricketing shots than raw power

I don't think that he has the power game though. He will rely more on cricketing shots than raw power
He has solid technique and composure.
His game against spin is also solid.
He played positively and had among highest avg and strike rate in psl.
Someone could work with him to develop more Six hitting skills, he can still develop. Remember Hafeez learned and improved on power hitting much later in career.

And honestly all this strike rate thing hasn't really applied in this world cup much. Also most of the time 170 180 is also winning total thar can be achieved with 1 boundary and 4 5 singles.

1. Saim
2. Babar
3. Abdullah
4. Saud
5. Mohammad Haris
6. Aamer Jamal
7. Usama Mir
8. Shaheen Afridi
9. Mohammad Amir
10. Naseem Shah
11. Ihsanullah
So basically you want to play 5 batters and 6 bowlers?

Want to make record for the lowest score in the history of cricket??

Saud in t20s might not work as people are thinking. He disappeared in PSL after first 2-3 good games. The whole tournament was a no-show for him after that.

Saud is fit for ODI and Test middle order but not in t20s.

He has solid technique and composure.
His game against spin is also solid.
He played positively and had among highest avg and strike rate in psl.
Someone could work with him to develop more Six hitting skills, he can still develop. Remember Hafeez learned and improved on power hitting much later in career.

And honestly all this strike rate thing hasn't really applied in this world cup much. Also most of the time 170 180 is also winning total thar can be achieved with 1 boundary and 4 5 singles.
Feels like a step backwards. He feels too much like a Rizwan/Babar type of player in this format. Also feel like PSL numbers should be taken with a grain of salt. Chacha had a SR of 193 last season. Usman Khan had a SR of 164

Right now Pakistan can’t find one good T20 opener let alone two. Pakistan needs to give Abdullah Shafique an extended run. I believe he’s the only player we have who can naturally lift the ball with ease. He can develop into a good opener.

Feels like a step backwards. He feels too much like a Rizwan/Babar type of player in this format. Also feel like PSL numbers should be taken with a grain of salt. Chacha had a SR of 193 last season. Usman Khan had a SR of 164
Difference is Saud has a solid technique, Footwork, is free flow and has proper test class experience.

While Usman and Chacha don't even have proper cricketing strokes. Chacha against minnows can bash cause he has slog sweep and can pull, while Usman is so random lol, Azam is even worse as he has nothing besides swinging for the stands. Leagues will always be worse then international, because international involves the 15 best players from the country while leagues is a mix of everything where trash heaps like David wiese and Reeza hendricks are superstars.

Saud can drive, Olay unorthodox, can pull, has a plethora of lofted strokes, can sweep, is excellent on the backfoot against spin etc. Same reason why Abdullah shafiq is 100× Better then usman, Chacha and Azam, Dude has actual strokes, Footwork and test class experience.

I don't want Abdullah or Saud especially in the middle order of all places but if its between these 2 vs Chacha, shadab, Azam and even imad(Dude can't really run now), Then I'd pick these 2 and salman agha any day of the week.

Right now Pakistan can’t find one good T20 opener let alone two. Pakistan needs to give Abdullah Shafique an extended run. I believe he’s the only player we have who can naturally lift the ball with ease. He can develop into a good opener.
Abdullah shafiq, Saud Shakeel, Salman Ali Agha, Tayyab Tahir, Omair bin Yousaf and Tayyab tahir are 1000x better then shadab, Chacha, Azam, Usman, Shan, Imad(Currently), Nawaz, Asif Ali, Kushdil Shah and God knows what other trash heap we've had over the years.

All these players have test class experience, Have proper cricketing strokes, and all have the drive to play and succeed.

Our selectors don't watch Cricket. They just view scorecards and decide yes pick him. Its the same reason I told people that Usama mir even if he took more wickets then abrar is a terrible option, Abrar is a proper mystery spin with dozens and dozens of variation and is Very Very rare find in this country. Usama has zero variations and one predictable line and length, but out selectors don't notice this.

How on earth can you take someone like azam khan over tayyab, Saud or Abdullah when azam can't even drive? Aka the simplest and most common shot in cricket?

I would make him captain of a new look national t20 side. He had success at the domestic level winning a trophy as captain, has had success in another format on the international level, and we desperately need a fresh start.

Abdullah shafiq, Saud Shakeel, Salman Ali Agha, Tayyab Tahir, Omair bin Yousaf and Tayyab tahir are 1000x better then shadab, Chacha, Azam, Usman, Shan, Imad(Currently), Nawaz, Asif Ali, Kushdil Shah and God knows what other trash heap we've had over the years.

All these players have test class experience, Have proper cricketing strokes, and all have the drive to play and succeed.

Our selectors don't watch Cricket. They just view scorecards and decide yes pick him. Its the same reason I told people that Usama mir even if he took more wickets then abrar is a terrible option, Abrar is a proper mystery spin with dozens and dozens of variation and is Very Very rare find in this country. Usama has zero variations and one predictable line and length, but out selectors don't notice this.

How on earth can you take someone like azam khan over tayyab, Saud or Abdullah when azam can't even drive? Aka the simplest and most common shot in cricket?
I think Azam was selected out of desperation. They wanted to select a six hitter and ignored the elephant in the room.

Btw, I’m not convinced about Tayyab raja. I think he might struggle in international cricket.

I think Azam was selected out of desperation. They wanted to select a six hitter and ignored the elephant in the room.
Their others ways to hit sixes rather then swinging blindly, Even lofted Drives over the inner ring is a proper stroke.

Even batters like rizwan have played inside put drives of spinner.

Drives are important at any stage of the game, and in cricket academies in Australia that's the very first shot they teach batters.

In the powerplay their a non risk way to get a 4 if you find the gap between fielders, in the middle stages their a crucial weapon against spinners to take singles, Doubles and even boundaries. And even in the final stages new batters or even tail enders like pat Cummings drive to get off strike to give it to the established batter on the strike.

The fact that azam, Chacha and shadab who bottom hand everything can't do it( Shadab can somewhat but not properly), shows that they are very very poor batsmen and in reality are just no 10 hasan ali's.

Even hasan Ali and Abrar have swung for the stands and bashed a couple here and their like azam has. Shaheen in leagues is a no 5 and he isn't a batter at all.

The fact that you and I can figure something like this out, while cricketing selectors who's job is to watch and select accordingly can't shows how crap the selection committee is.

Btw, I’m not convinced about Tayyab raja. I think he might struggle in international cricket.
That's AlrightE. You don't have to be, whether he fails or not is irrelevant. The floor/ceiling cannot go any lower then azam, Chacha, Nawaz, shadab, Current Imad, Usman and God knows who else will come since we've already had so many anwar ali's and kushdil's etc.

Tayyab is still a proper batsmen.

It's also why I excluded saim ayub from the list of names. Saim is also a proper batter with proper strokes. But for some reason hes the next umar akmal in shot selection infact atm he's proving to be worse.

Maybe it's cause lack of test class experience or maybe lack of timing, or maybe he's trying to be cute or maybe management idk.

He should not be struggling to such an extent where he can't even play Ireland on school boy pitches but azam khan

Idk what's up with saim, So tayyab might be the next saim, But the ceiling ain't going lower then azam.

Their others ways to hit sixes rather then swinging blindly, Even lofted Drives over the inner ring is a proper stroke.

Even batters like rizwan have played inside put drives of spinner.

Drives are important at any stage of the game, and in cricket academies in Australia that's the very first shot they teach batters.

In the powerplay their a non risk way to get a 4 if you find the gap between fielders, in the middle stages their a crucial weapon against spinners to take singles, Doubles and even boundaries. And even in the final stages new batters or even tail enders like pat Cummings drive to get off strike to give it to the established batter on the strike.

The fact that azam, Chacha and shadab who bottom hand everything can't do it( Shadab can somewhat but not properly), shows that they are very very poor batsmen and in reality are just no 10 hasan ali's.

Even hasan Ali and Abrar have swung for the stands and bashed a couple here and their like azam has. Shaheen in leagues is a no 5 and he isn't a batter at all.

The fact that you and I can figure something like this out, while cricketing selectors who's job is to watch and select accordingly can't shows how crap the selection committee is.
That’s why I believe we should go with Abdullah. Currently, he is the best player of lofted shots in Pakistan. He keeps a very good balance while playing those shots.

Saud Shakeel thread this is.

Why are we discussing the whole squad here.

So basically you want to play 5 batters and 6 bowlers?

Want to make record for the lowest score in the history of cricket??

Saud in t20s might not work as people are thinking. He disappeared in PSL after first 2-3 good games. The whole tournament was a no-show for him after that.

Saud is fit for ODI and Test middle order but not in t20s.
5 proper batsman is better than lalu panju “all rounders” that we had..

The team is fine and Saud was our top run scorer in the PSL. He needs a long rope..

Difference is Saud has a solid technique, Footwork, is free flow and has proper test class experience.

While Usman and Chacha don't even have proper cricketing strokes. Chacha against minnows can bash cause he has slog sweep and can pull, while Usman is so random lol, Azam is even worse as he has nothing besides swinging for the stands. Leagues will always be worse then international, because international involves the 15 best players from the country while leagues is a mix of everything where trash heaps like David wiese and Reeza hendricks are superstars.

Saud can drive, Olay unorthodox, can pull, has a plethora of lofted strokes, can sweep, is excellent on the backfoot against spin etc. Same reason why Abdullah shafiq is 100× Better then usman, Chacha and Azam, Dude has actual strokes, Footwork and test class experience.

I don't want Abdullah or Saud especially in the middle order of all places but if its between these 2 vs Chacha, shadab, Azam and even imad(Dude can't really run now), Then I'd pick these 2 and salman agha any day of the week.
Not opposed to giving him opportunities. But I feel he will another Babar/Rizwan type batter who will lack firepower with the bat.

Not opposed to giving him opportunities. But I feel he will another Babar/Rizwan type batter who will lack firepower with the bat.
We need a middle order, that's the thing.

We don't need Babar and rizwan as openers or saud as openers.

We only need one accumulator at 3 and maybe one more at 7 who comes in at 4 if 2 openers collapse quickly.

Openers should be shabzada farhan and Fakhar( Saim isn't developing so until then Pakistan need to find a suitable replacement for fakhar once he retires.)

I don't think fakhar is making it past 2027. Heck maybe even 2025.

We need a middle order, that's the thing.

We don't need Babar and rizwan as openers or saud as openers.

We only need one accumulator at 3 and maybe one more at 7 who comes in at 4 if 2 openers collapse quickly.

Openers should be shabzada farhan and Fakhar( Saim isn't developing so until then Pakistan need to find a suitable replacement for fakhar once he retires.)

I don't think fakhar is making it past 2027. Heck maybe even 2025.
I can see him playing till 2027.

5 proper batsman is better than lalu panju “all rounders” that we had..

The team is fine and Saud was our top run scorer in the PSL. He needs a long rope..
Saud still needs a lot of T20 practice to make way into the team. 1 good PSL is not enough, and I will not even say that he has had a good season because apart from 1 or 2 good innings, he was mediocre.

So, Shadab better than him??
Both are substandard. I never supported Shadab. Abrar Ahmed , Usman Qadir are lot lot better leggie. Even Yasir Shah. I don't know what actually happened to Yasir .

1. Saim
2. Babar
3. Abdullah
4. Saud
5. Mohammad Haris
6. Aamer Jamal
7. Usama Mir
8. Shaheen Afridi
9. Mohammad Amir
10. Naseem Shah
11. Ihsanullah
No problems with your lower order

Top order asking to find themselves in trouble with the score at 60-2 in 10 overs

He was exposed even in World Cup against quality pace. Couldn't play those cheeky shots and upper straight drive vs 140+ bowlers. Dude was tucked specially in that game against Australia. Was going nowhere. Heck even against quality spin he was struggling. Specially the likes of Kuldeep who made him look stupid.

Then there was the Australia test tour. The less I talk about the better for him.

Both are substandard. I never supported Shadab. Abrar Ahmed , Usman Qadir are lot lot better leggie. Even Yasir Shah. I don't know what actually happened to Yasir .
It's true that Yasir Shah might have been a very valuable member of the Pakistani team; I'm not sure what went wrong.

1. Saim
2. Babar
3. Abdullah
4. Saud
5. Mohammad Haris
6. Aamer Jamal
7. Usama Mir
8. Shaheen Afridi
9. Mohammad Amir
10. Naseem Shah
11. Ihsanullah
Are you serious??

Where's Babar's gang?? Chacha, Shaddyboy, Azam ?? 🌚 😂

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is for t20, this side is better then wc 2024 team.

Problem is this side will make 120 of 4 every game lol, and will lose every game
Players like Agha Salman, ABD, Haris, Aamer Jamal, Usama Mir, Wasim Jr, Muhammad Ali, Sahibzada Farhan should also be given chances to showcase themselves.

Players like Agha Salman, ABD, Haris, Aamer Jamal, Usama Mir, Wasim Jr, Muhammad Ali, Sahibzada Farhan should also be given chances to showcase themselves.
At least, they're gonna better than Shaddy, Azam Khan & Chacha.

Tbf, shabzada farhan, Saud and Abdullah aren't bad and theirs no reason they can't be in t20 and improve their sr.

Abdullah is superior to Babar in every way and No, No amount of stats or Bobby at age 24 hit 3 100's against WI will change that lol.

Abdullah ended the dry 10 overs No six hitting streak for Pakistan in the wc, he's a million tines better at playing pull shots and playing spin then babar. Babar is better at driving though. Issue with Abdullah is that he gets caught napping at pace and he needs to improve his play against pacers. He's a bit vulnerable their.

However mentally Abdullah is willing to play for Pakistan anywhere from 1 to 4, he isn't stuck up like babar is with his opening and I wanna be a t20 anchorer nonsense. Abdullah is making efforts to improve sr as well, he clearly wants to be the big Dawg for Pakistan in all formats.

Saud is your most free flow batter, and he just better then rizwan In every way especially in sox hitting.

Shabzada farhan is a million times better investment them saim. Hafeez didn't give him a fair chance. He made the guy bat at no 7 and then discarded him after a few games even though no 7 in a t20 for a player who's been an opener all his life is impossible.

Please do not derail the thread by talking irrelevant stuff here. This thread is just about Saud.

Do not discuss the future squads and other players here individually.

Look what we need right now is runs. We can worry about SR later. Ifitkhar and Azam can barely score 5 runs these days.

Atleast Saud can be expected to score a 20 or 30 in the middle order.

Atleast Saud can be expected to score a 20 or 30 in the middle order.
We don't need 20-30. We need impact payers. IFFI is also scoring 20s but have they helped??? NO so this is not enough.

Saud is not a guy who will bat in the middle order in T20s and give you a better performance than Iffi. His power game is also non-existent. Want him in the team??? Play him in the top order.

We don't need 20-30. We need impact payers. IFFI is also scoring 20s but have they helped??? NO so this is not enough.

Saud is not a guy who will bat in the middle order in T20s and give you a better performance than Iffi. His power game is also non-existent. Want him in the team??? Play him in the top order.
At the top he’s not going to be different than Babar and Rizwan. Situation won’t change.

Saud would have been worth gold on these slow pitches. Literally the perfect no. 4 batsman who can play at a 110-115 SR against fast and spin bowling and yes.. this SR is more than good enough for these conditions

He was outperformed by Babar 57@143. Also in the first elimiator match he got out on zero. Failed to step up when required. Right now there is no indication he’s going to be better than Babar and Rizwan. He is also an accumulator just like them.
Without giving him any chance you can't really judge whether he can be a good T20 player or not. I am not here to replace him with Babar so wont compare his stats with him as Babar is a world class player... I will simply drop Babar to the number 3 position since he can't utilize the powerplay effectively and will bring Saud Shakeel to open the innings along with either Saim or Sahibzada Farhan.

Without giving him any chance you can't really judge whether he can be a good T20 player or not. I am not here to replace him with Babar so wont compare his stats with him as Babar is a world class player... I will simply drop Babar to the number 3 position since he can't utilize the powerplay effectively and will bring Saud Shakeel to open the innings along with either Saim or Sahibzada Farhan.
I also feel Babar shouldn’t be opening and must play at number 3. But I strongly believe Saud Shakeel also doesn’t possess the skills to open. One opener I think should be Abdullah Shafique, the other one I don’t know.

I also feel Babar shouldn’t be opening and must play at number 3. But I strongly believe Saud Shakeel also doesn’t possess the skills to open. One opener I think should be Abdullah Shafique, the other one I don’t know.
Well Abdullah has had some failures in T20 cricket, specially with a very bad PSL season i doubt that he can excel in this format.... maybe he is better suited for ODI cricket but again there is no harm in trying these players to assess their capabilities.

Well Abdullah has had some failures in T20 cricket, specially with a very bad PSL season i doubt that he can excel in this format.... maybe he is better suited for ODI cricket but again there is no harm in trying these players to assess their capabilities.
Yea we have to try and I agree that Abdullah hasn’t done much in this format but he never got consistent chances as an opener in T20s. IMO, he had the best technique to play lofted shots. His balance while playing aerial shots is the best in Pakistan.

Back