Score thread - Aus v ROW (3rd odi)

Amjid Javed

PakPassion's 100,000 posts man
Runs
Post of the Week
Australia lead 3 match series 2-0 after a thumping wins in 1st two games. Will Aussies complete a 3-0 whitewash or will ROW regain sum pride?

Likely teams

World XI 1 Chris Gayle, 2 Virender Sehwag, 3 Kumar Sangakkara (wk), 4 Rahul Dravid, 5 Jacques Kallis, 6 Brian Lara, 7 Shahid Afridi, 8 Andrew Flintoff, 9 Shaun Pollock (capt), 10 Daniel Vettori, 11 Muttiah Muralitharan, 12 Makhaya Ntini.

Australia 1 Adam Gilchrist (wk), 2 James Hopes, 3 Ricky Ponting (capt), 4 Damien Martyn, 5 Michael Hussey, 6 Michael Clarke, 7 Shane Watson, 8 Andrew Symonds, 9 Cameron White, 10 Brett Lee, 11 Glenn McGrath, 12 Nathan Bracken.

please place all score updates on this thread when match starts.

start time @ 0515 uk time (0415 gmt)

that is good that they are not playing Shoaib. Prolly he volunteered to sit becuz he dun wanna get hurt in a no purpose match.

its not him getting hurt. Shoaib has been exposed he is not match fit. the guy needs to run three to four miles a day for the next one month and get fit

Sehwag and Afridi should open followed by Kumar, Flintoff,Lara,Dravid,Pollack and Kallis

Shahid Afridi and Makhaya Ntini have been included in the World XI team for the last match of the one-day series against Australia on Sunday in Melbourne. Shoaib Akhtar and Kevin Pietersen will sit out.

Pietersen strained his thigh after pulling up sharply while fielding at long-on during the second match and used a runner while batting. He is not part of the World XI Test squad for the Super Test which begins in Sydney on October 14. However, he is an integral part of England's squad for their tour of Pakistan later this month.

Meanwhile, Simon Katich is a doubt for the Australians. Katich, who made a composed 47 in a 110-run opening stand with Adam Gilchrist, strained his groin during his innings.

© Cricinfo

COME WAN AFRIDIIIIIIIII :cool:

disappointing to see akhtar unfit, this should wake him up a bit even more.. i hope he gets fit in time... go afridi!

I was at the Telstra Dome to see game-2, And let me tell you guys that Shoib was so casual, the way he plays, misfields, poor bowling even though all the bowlers for ROW stunk.. I am starting to understand why you guys have grown tired of SHoib, after watching him I just got the feeling he is just quite not serious enough in his cricket maybe a bit immature the way he walks and runs, its like he is a night club....

Maybe he is just that way cause this is a meanlingless game, but I tell you what he better get his bum in gear for ENG series or i dont see him lasting long, the guy is huffing and puffing constantly after 3-4 overs how is he supposed to bowl in test matches in hot conditions in pak?..

argh ffs, Afridi only the supersub :mad:

After the World XI's bowling has been utterly abysmal for 2 games he decides that it's still not worth having Afridi in as a bowler despite the fact that his batting is fairly hit and miss. No bloody wonder he's not captain of his country

does hopes bowl as well? if he is just a batsmen...

whats the point of him being a supersub, if ur batting first.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

Afridi againt super sub, lets see the story happen again. I think this is not fair. He played 2 matches as a super sub now, there should be some one else super sub like kallis he hasn't done anything good yet.

doesnt really matter with Afridi - all they are gonna do is bowl murali out early and bring him on then...around the 40th over. :19:

If spinners are doing good on this track then they should try Afridi. They should substitute him for a fast bowler instead who is not reauired after first few overs.

what an idiot pollock is, Two matches where spinners have been his best bowlers and he puts Afridi in as a supersub!!

A super fielder and partnership breaking bowler missing out on the first 40 or more overs of the team fielding??

Im going back to sleep and will wake up in time to see Afridi bat and get out for something under 5 runs, he's a confidence player and the captain seems to have no confidence in him!!

Akthar should realize that where ever he goes people are frustrated by him may be its not Bob and Inzi out to get him, maybe its just him and his fat butt.

Imy said:
Akthar should realize that where ever he goes people are frustrated by him may be its not Bob and Inzi out to get him, maybe its just him and his fat butt.

whatever! :9:

They are all just jealous that Akhtar is so fast and cool, so they pick on him.

You dont know about AKhtar so dont bother saying anything about him, got it?? ;-)

Afridi should show the middle f**ger to pollock when he goes out to bat.

Last edited:
Inzi and Bob are best in utilizing Afridi. They both play him well. I do not think anyone else in the world realize his talent. He deserves to bowl a few overs on this track.

And I also think that they also understand Shoaib well. That is why they have written him off.

Aleem Daar coming under heavy fire for getting a lbw shout against Ponying, wrong off the bowling of Ntini. from Tony grieg. Who suggested that Ntini has bowled much better than shoaib.

Nitni is bowling better way better and he is not huffing and puffing.Hum I wonder if Shoaib want to play for Australia like he wanted they wont take his crap like Piikstan did. Hope he does not play in the test match either and does some personal soul searching about his attitude

Mark Nicholas and Tony really are on Akthar case dont think he will be picked for test squad

Are they playing with black armbands in light of the tragic events in Pakistan ? Hope, Afridi is - he should have enough sense to do that. Also, dont know if the Pak players should have returned home in wake of this disaster - I know that may be a meaningless gesture but a gesture it is, IMO

toonboy_awaisyboy™ said:
afridi fielding? swear I heard is name on the wire. Someone injured?

i was watching it briefly earlier on and he was fielding - dont know who for tho

Afridi will not be bowling as he is the super sub. Hes on for Gayle as a fielding sub.

Geordie Ahmed said:
i was watching it briefly earlier on and he was fielding - dont know who for tho
ok

man, i'm off to bed.. left pc on to listen to it.

Afridi is on for Gayle and it looks like everybody from both sides has black armbands on

Raz said:
Afridi will not be bowling as he is the super sub. Hes on for Gayle as a fielding sub.

but he can be called anytime for that role, so he will bowl as soon as Murali finishes. imo

toonboy_awaisyboy™ said:
but he can be called anytime for that role, so he will bowl as soon as Murali finishes. imo

BUT he cant bowl if he comes on for Murali

MenInGreen said:
Are they playing with black armbands in light of the tragic events in Pakistan ? Hope, Afridi is - he should have enough sense to do that. Also, dont know if the Pak players should have returned home in wake of this disaster - I know that may be a meaningless gesture but a gesture it is, IMO

Apparently they are wearing black armbands - good on them ( another thread on the arm bands by Amir says so )

Geordie Ahmed said:
BUT he cant bowl if he comes on for Murali

Yeah if Murali finishes 10 overs Afridi can only bat or field for him as Murali has finished his full quota of overs.

Raz said:
Yeah if Murali finishes 10 overs Afridi can only bat or field for him as Murali has finished his full quota of overs.

oh i see.. i never knew that.i thought he be able to bowl whatever the no. of balls bowled by the person he replaces.

toonboy_awaisyboy™ said:
oh i see.. i never knew that.i thought he be able to bowl whatever the no. of balls bowled by the person he replaces.

The rule still confuses some ppl!
if Murali bowls 10 overs then Afridi CANNOT bowl - BUT im not sure what happens if Murali bowls 7 overs - is Afridi allowed to bowl 3???

Geordie Ahmed said:
The rule still confuses some ppl!
if Murali bowls 10 overs then Afridi CANNOT bowl - BUT im not sure what happens if Murali bowls 7 overs - is Afridi allowed to bowl 3???

If Murali bowls 7 and then is "subbed" by Afridi, Afridi can bowl 3 overs, field and bat.

Raz said:
If Murali bowls 7 and then is "subbed" by Afridi, Afridi can bowl 3 overs, field and bat.

Raz are u sure about that, i thought if one has done bowling or batting then other cant do the same. meaning if murali has bowled even one over then afridi cant bowl, he can only field or bat. But again i could be wrong.

jalex382 said:
Raz are u sure about that, i thought if one has done bowling or batting then other cant do the same. meaning if murali has bowled even one over then afridi cant bowl, he can only field or bat. But again i could be wrong.

well i know if a batsman is say 50 not out - he can be subbed and the guy that comes on can bat aswell - i would think the same applies to bowling :13:

jalex382 said:

No the rules says that when a player is replaced by a super sub, the super sub takes over any bowling/batting and fielding duties that the player who has been replaced may have left.

So if the World XI batted first and Murali was subbed by Afridi say in the 42nd over and was yet to bat. Afridi would then bat, be allowed to bowl 10 overs and also field for the remaining 8 overs.

Is flintoff is off the field now, seems like he got hurt and kallis finished his over. is flintoff gone for good or will he be back maybe Afridi can take his place and bowl the overs left from flintoff.

Australia: 271/5 (48.0 Ovs)
M Hussey68(69)
S Watson*51(59)

ICC World XI
M Ntini6-0-50-1
C Gayle*5-0-28-0
Run Rate: 5.65

Current Partnership: 123(123)

Last edited:
afridis took a catch of a no ball but then drops an easy one in the same over i think . Seems as though he has hurt his hand aswell like flintoff and is off the field now

mike husssey has hit the roof of the ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aleem dar has signalled dead ball so he gets nothing for hitting a huge shot!!

adi 101 said:
mike husssey has hit the roof of the ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aleem dar has signalled dead ball so he gets nothing for hitting a huge shot!!

:))) . It was soo funny. Hussey couldnt believe it!

Gayle/Sehwag to open the innings. Potential fireworks in store.

Gayle bowled off the 2nd ball of the innings.

Raz not having a great day - Gayle gone !

The TV in our company is in the cafeteria ( open only for non muslims and those not fasting ) - If Afridi bats, i will walk in there !!)

MenInGreen said:
The TV in our company is in the cafeteria ( open only for non muslims and those not fasting ) - If Afridi bats, i will walk in there !!)

What you going to say if people ask what you're doing there?

just say, I am there to watch cricket ( and my other faculties are taking a rest !)

MenInGreen said:
just say, I am there to watch cricket ( and my other faculties are taking a rest !)

Are you going to go in with or without your walking stick?

Boring Kallis out 2 from 10 with a strike rate of 20.

no hat trick for lee well another couple of wickets and afridi will be in!!!

Hattrick averted. Both West Indian batsmen out for a duck.

All three times Lara got out beecasue he was driving. Looks like he needs to fix his engine.

Lara should have left that ball alone. He had no business playing that!

Haha, I bet they're glad they didn't pick Inzi because of his crap record against the Aussies eh

Mercenary said:
what an idiot pollock is, Two matches where spinners have been his best bowlers and he puts Afridi in as a supersub!!

A super fielder and partnership breaking bowler missing out on the first 40 or more overs of the team fielding??

Im going back to sleep and will wake up in time to see Afridi bat and get out for something under 5 runs, he's a confidence player and the captain seems to have no confidence in him!!
i know, Pollock is giving him negativity and little else, and his decision is why i've just woken up too :D

Back