Sergio Aguero - Flop or success at Manchester City?

Sergio Aguero - Flop or Success at Man City?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Those rather rich Arabs at Manchester City have once again got their cheque book out.

This time signing the highly talented Argentinian Sergio Aguero.

Do you think Aguero will prove to be a success at Manchester City or an expensive flop?

He will be a great hit, currently he is the most talented footballer and he has no atitude problem either.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

The lad is quality, was phenomenal for Atletico for the last 6 months, was scoring for fun

I do think he will be a huge success BUT how big he can become will be dependant on how he is utilised. Hopefully he isnt thrown out wide BUT gets to play up front, whether that is with another striker or even as part of a front 3

Quality player but with Mancinis ultra boring and defensive mentality will he get the best out off him?

I'm not sure how ambitious Aguero is by moving to City. Is it a footballing decision or financial?
There was no secret Real Madrid were definitely interested.

I hope he doesn't come only for a nice fat pay packet and plays within himself because that would be a travesty to his enormous talent.

Aguero has the natural talent and the playing style of the legendary Romario and if he plays to his potential he could tear up the EPL.

How coul Aguero move to Real Madrid?

He would get killed by Atletico fans and Atletico was the club that gave him a chance. Levy flew over to spain a month ago to try and convince him to join but Aguero wanted 200k and i think Levy suffered a heart attack and flew back to England.

Juventus were interested but Seria A is a poor league.

The guy's a class act, and his style of play means, he should adjust to pretty much any league.

But of course, it's how he's used which is the most important thing. He's versatile though, so expect him to be effective wherever he plays.

How coul Aguero move to Real Madrid?

He would get killed by Atletico fans and Atletico was the club that gave him a chance. Levy flew over to spain a month ago to try and convince him to join but Aguero wanted 200k and i think Levy suffered a heart attack and flew back to England.

Juventus were interested but Seria A is a poor league.

Actually wanted Champions League football. It would be a backwards step for him to join Spurs considering Athletico are the Europa League Champions and Spurs are not in the CL.

I'm not sure how ambitious Aguero is by moving to City. Is it a footballing decision or financial?
There was no secret Real Madrid were definitely interested.

I hope he doesn't come only for a nice fat pay packet and plays within himself because that would be a travesty to his enormous talent.

Aguero has the natural talent and the playing style of the legendary Romario and if he plays to his potential he could tear up the EPL.

I don't think it was all about money because I read somewhere that taking tax into consideration he will be earning less at Citeh than he was at Atletico

I don't think it was all about money because I read somewhere that taking tax into consideration he will be earning less at Citeh than he was at Atletico

Fair enough but i'm not convinced he'd come if he is going to earn less.

GA I think its 10M per season? That can't be less than what he made in Spain.

It was a move made for money, pure and simple.

HUGE Success. He'll rip apart Prem this year and especially the lesser-teams, he'll tear them a new one..

Top Top signing by city. IMO their best!

Not sure BUT according to the papers prior to him joining City they were all saying that he will be taking a pay cut to join them

I don't think it was solely about money, obviously when he is earning millions of pounds a year it is easy to say that BUT he could have earned more by staying

He'll be a huge success.

Guys got talent oozing out of his ears.

He'll be a real pain in the buttocks for all teams in the EPL.

He's young, talented and possess great pace. I don't see why he'll struggle at Premier league level HOWEVER he will need time to adjust himself and adapt personally. Also one thing to note is that he's use to partnering with a striker [Forlan] and with now him being distanced from Forlan it'll be upto him to change his style of approach, as it'll be likely that he'll play upfront on his own unless Mancini decides to use another striker to partner the young highly rated striker.

Fantastic start for him - this was only a trailer for the Premiership football fans... According to Mancini, he is not fully fit so looks like we'll be expecting more from the Argentine once he is fully fit.

The 2nd goal was simply superb... Despite the good start, I still think he'll take time to adapt or will go through a period where he will show that he needs time to adapt.

Great capture.

If anyone had any doubts, the 2nd goal should set things straight.

He's going to light it up.

he is such a talent.....he will inshaALLAH be a huge success n no one can stop him....... last night it was just the trailer of things ready to come....... a brace and a great assist what a start u beauty...... man city all the way:)

maybe or maybe not..... at athletico he did have a good duo with forlan but there was no good supply line i mean the play makers.... here he along with dzeko can have the likes of silva n johnson to assist them n thats what he is here for

Despite it being early days - he's looked very good and sharp for Manchester City. He clearly has no problems in adapting to the pace of Premiership, looking very comfortable so far.

Thoughts on him so far?

yea the way he scored 4th goall for city... it was great speed, composure n finishing skill....... mancini needs to give him full 90 mins on the field though...... some of those players who are being rated high n rightly so.... a great prospect:D

Almost 8 years later......

Another hat trick today for Aguero - when he ends his City career he'll probably go down as the best ever overseas Premier League player.

Not a football fan but that video of him scoring the goal to win the league is just amazing.

AGUERROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

He is the third best Premier League striker ever after Henry and Shearer and by the time he retires he could even eclipse them.

When I saw this thread title I was just thinking "Please please be an old thread" because this isn't even a question, thank God it is an old thread. I'm a United fan but no doubt he's been a success. World class player. Can Mods please open the poll

Almost 8 years later......

Another hat trick today for Aguero - when he ends his City career he'll probably go down as the best ever overseas Premier League player.

Aguero is an amazing player but Henry wasn't only the best overseas player in the league but according to most lists he is the best player to grace the Premier League era (since 15 Aug 1992).

Been a fan of his since his Athletico days. Brilliant brilliant player.

Fantastic striker, but not even the best South American striker to play in the Premier League. Suarez was always comfortably better than him.

Hopefully he can win a Champions League with City, will be the perfect closure to a stellar career in England.

He is the third best Premier League striker ever after Henry and Shearer and by the time he retires he could even eclipse them.

Rooney is better

So are Van Nistelrooy, Suarez and Drogba

When I saw this thread title I was just thinking "Please please be an old thread" because this isn't even a question, thank God it is an old thread. I'm a United fan but no doubt he's been a success. World class player. Can Mods please open the poll

Lol. Exactly the same thought here. Like how is that even a question??!!

If Rooney didnt spend half his career playing second fiddle to Ronaldo, he would have had a much better career, otherwise he was probably the best striker in EPL when he hit his peak unfortunatly for him it only lastest a season but he was at a level that Kun could not reach. other then that Kun was quite easily better than Suarez and Drogba.

Even in his latter stage of his career, any time the ball reaches him, as a Man Utd fan, I am scared to death.

The guy is a great finisher and probably the best in PL right now. Rooney and Suarez at peak were better but they didn't play with the same consistency.

One minute he misses a two yard sitter and the next he smashes a 25 yard screamer. Joint with Shearer’s 11 Hatricks now. One of the ATG of the EPL.

Manchester City's record-breaking forward Sergio Aguero will "die scoring goals", says his boss Pep Guardiola.

The Argentina striker scored a hat-trick to become the highest overseas goalscorer in Premier League history as City thrashed Aston Villa 6-1.

Aguero, 31, moved past Thierry Henry and joined Frank Lampard on 177 goals scored in England's top flight.

"He's a legend," added Guardiola. "It was an honour to be here on the day he achieved the record."

Aguero scored City's third, fifth and sixth goals - as well assisting Riyad Mahrez for the opener - as Guardiola's side demolished Villa to move above Leicester into second in the table.

Aguero's contract ends in 2021 but Guardiola has not given up hope that the striker, who joined from Atletico Madrid in July 2011 for £40m, will sign a new deal.

"It depends on him, it is his decision," said Guardiola.

"This kind of player... there are not many in the incredible history of English football. He helps to make the Premier League better."

Guardiola described Aguero as the second best striker in the world behind his fellow Argentina forward Lionel Messi, who the Spaniard managed at Barcelona.

He added: "The best is Messi.

"Messi is number 9, 10, 11, 6, 4. But the rest is Sergio," said the City boss.

What the stats say
Only three men - Alan Shearer, Wayne Rooney and Andy Cole - who played virtually all of their careers in England, remain in front of Aguero on the all-time Premier League goalscoring list.

His treble against Villa was Aguero's 12th hat-trick, which is a Premier League record.

Best minutes-per-goal ratio in Premier League history (minimum 20 goals)
Player Minutes played Goals Minutes per goal

Sergio Aguero 18841 177 106
Harry Kane 16407 136 121
Thierry Henry 21313 175 122
Gabriel Jesus 4432 36 123
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang 5734 46 125
Mohamed Salah 8238 66 125
Ruud van Nistelrooy 12178 95 128
Luis Suarez 9577 69 139
Robin van Persie 20115 144 140
Hernan Crespo 2813 20 141

Predominantly right-footed, 33 of Aguero's 177 Premier League goals have come from his left foot while 17 have been headers. Only 26 have come from the penalty spot.

"To break this record of an incredible legend like Thierry Henry means it's not just for a short period, it's many years," added Guardiola.

"To be the foreign player with the most goals and hat-tricks speaks for itself. Hopefully he can score more."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51086239

Third best foreign striker in the PL after Henry and Suarez.

Van Persie would have been ahead of him if it weren’t for the persistent injury problems until 2010-2011.

Last edited:
Love watching him play.

His awareness, strength and ability to create chances from nothing are brilliant.

Was scratching my head but then saw the date of OP. Wonderful player, one of the best in PL history.

Third best foreign striker in the PL after Henry and Suarez.

Van Persie would have been ahead of him if it weren’t for the persistent injury problems until 2010-2011.

I wouldn't have him ahead of van nistelrooy

For me hes been the 2nd best player in the PL history as far as strikers go - after Henry

Nobody else comes close

I’m not sure why Aguero doesn’t start every game when he’s fit. His quality demands that he’s a starter. The dude scores goals for fun.

Guardiola is too OTT with his rotation policy. On the other hand, Klopp always starts his best players and look how he’s reaping the rewards.

I’m not sure why Aguero doesn’t start every game when he’s fit. His quality demands that he’s a starter. The dude scores goals for fun.

Guardiola is too OTT with his rotation policy. On the other hand, Klopp always starts his best players and look how he’s reaping the rewards.

City have a wealth of talent on the bench. They can rest their best. But yea...Guardiola is a bit OTT/arrogant.

Sergio Aguero: Pep Guardiola defends striker following Sian Massey-Ellis incident

amir1.jpg

Pep Guardiola has played down an incident involving Sergio Aguero after the Manchester City striker disputed a decision with official Sian Massey-Ellis in Saturday's match against Arsenal.

Aguero was pictured placing his hand on Massey-Ellis' shoulder after the official awarded Arsenal a throw-in during the first half of City's 1-0 win at the Etihad Stadium.

The incident was shared widely on social media, with Aguero's conduct under scrutiny, and while the match officials did not believe any formal action was required, Guardiola defended the 32-year-old forward.

"Come on guys," Guardiola said after the match. "Sergio is the nicest person I ever met in my life. Look for problems in other situations not in this one."

Sky Sports pundit Micah Richard said Aguero "should know better", with the former City defender also praising Massey-Ellis' handling of the situation after the official raised her hand in reaction to the touch before motioning for the striker to walk away.

"I just think he didn't mean to do it really," Richards said. "You've got to respect the officials. I think she deals with the situation really well. He'll know better than that.

"I don't think we need to go over the top on it. He knows not to be touching the officials, it doesn't look good.

Richards added: "It's just not a good look. We don't need to do that, you start going down a road you don't want to go down - he should know better than that."

Labour MP Dr Rosena Allin-Khan was critical of Aguero's actions when referencing the incident on Twitter.

She said: "Who does Aguero think he is? Completely unacceptable."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-striker-following-sian-massey-ellis-incident

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero must show he "deserves to continue here" before earning a new contract.

Those rather rich Arabs at Manchester City have once again got their cheque book out.

This time signing the highly talented Argentinian Sergio Aguero.

Do you think Aguero will prove to be a success at Manchester City or an expensive flop?

Not sure if there is a need to answer this question (9 years later) considering that without a doubt Aguero is one of the greatest Premier League players ever !

Back