SG Interview

Cover Drive

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Came across this from another forum, so thought would share with you guys;

Obviously SS is questioner and PA is SG representative.

SS: Tell us about your company.
PA: SG started selling its cricket gear in India only from 1982-The year they signed to make equipment for Sunil Gavaskar. Until then, everything that the company manufactured was exported to wherever the gentleman's game was played. About 30 years later, SG is not only India's no.1 cricket gear brand; it is also the world's largest manufacturer of cricket gear.

SS: What is your product range?
PA: SG manufactures everything that a serious cricketer needs: Bats (English and Kashmir willows) . . . Gloves . . . Leg guards . . . Balls (leather, synthetic, tennis and practice) . . . Body Protectors . . . Kit Bags . . . Helmets . . . Shoes . . . Clothing . . . and Accessories.

SS: What is the USP of your products?
PA: SG cricket gear is virtually made by cricketers for cricketers because the company's R & D team also has access to a panel of well-known first-class and international cricketers.

Some of the many famous names who use SG cricket gear include Rahul “The Wall” Dravid . . . Virender Sehwag . . . and Suresh Raina.

SS: What’s your marketing and promotion strategy?
PA: We were primarily exporters and now we are entering every city in the domestic market. We are promoting our brand through our ambassadors Virender Sehwag and Suresh Raina. Over the past two years, SG opened another manufacturing facility in Meerut to meet demand; entered into contracts with top players like Raina, Sehwag and Rahul Dravid; increased headcount across categories like marketing, sales, production and sourcing; and started investing in marketing and advertising.

The strategy has paid off. The company's revenues - split almost 50-50 between exports and domestic sales - are growing at an annual rate of 25 per cent and expected to close this financial year at Rs 80 crore, up from Rs 60 crore last year.

Exports have decreased. The proportion of exports to domestic sales was 55: 45 last year, and we are planning to reverse it this year.

SS: How many units you have in total?
PA: We have three units as of now.

SS: What is your team like and how have you contributed to your team and the company?
PA: It has been 10 years since I joined. We have a decentralised team that has made our organisation stronger with Engineers, MBAs, Software engineers, Designers etc.

I have revamped the organisation and built a better team.

SS: What is your future plan?
PA: We will launch Maxxport, our sports-inspired apparel and footwear label by mid-March. The sports apparel and footwear market is growing at 20 to 30 per cent. A bigger market means bigger growth. We expect Maxxport sales to touch Rs 15 crore by 2013. The year will also mark the debut of SG's own brand in the overseas markets - a move considered a little risky because its white label overseas buyers may not want to deal with a potential competitor.

SS: Any message you would like to give someone who is interested to enter a similar line?
PA: Work hard and build team spirit. Team work is everything so trust your team and give them the level of authority for best results.

Like I said elsewhere, this a unique instance of SS interviewing SG. Just couldn't miss saying this, again :D

SG Interview said:
.....are growing at an annual rate of 25 per cent and expected to close this financial year at Rs 80 crore, up from Rs 60 crore last year.

Seeing the profit literally blew me away, I was shocked to see that much to be honest. I had thought it would be much much much less than that to be honest.

When you make stuff for literally every other company in the world your profit will of course keep growing at least for sometime before it will start getting stagnant.

When you make stuff for literally every other company in the world your profit will of course keep growing at least for sometime before it will start getting stagnant.

I know but still looking from a Desi perspective that is A LOT!

If SG will make Rs. 80 Crore then one can wonder how much SS will make who are bigger than SG I believe.

Plus three units is quite a lot too!

I am not sure whether SS is bigger than SG though; I think SG overall is bigger. Maybe Tom can fill us in on that.

But one thing I have wondered for a long time: why don't we hear Bangladesh's name in all these, ever? Seriously with so many cricket fanatics and even more cheap labor force in place one should guess that Bangladesh should start making some strides in cricket manufacturing.

But one thing I have wondered for a long time: why don't we hear Bangladesh's name in all these, ever? Seriously with so many cricket fanatics and even more cheap labor force in place one should guess that Bangladesh should start making some strides in cricket manufacturing.

I think they do have have a factory there, I once saw a video and it was CA but it was only tapeball bats (that was what I saw in the video).

I am not sure whether SS is bigger than SG though; I think SG overall is bigger. Maybe Tom can fill us in on that.

I could be wrong though, Tom is best man for these type of stuff :))

I was talking to one guy and if they get a bat from Ihsan they don't have to pay for labour rather it is price per bat and that is around $127 USD that is per rate.

So this can give us an idea how much profit is there for company, remember the person who makes the bat gets probably Rs. 1000 per day

OK-- the oracle of Delphi (aka Tom) has just spoken to me: SG is the largest.

Ah okay that is surprising, do you or Tom know who SG make bats for?

I know they make bats for Kookaburra, Adidas, some Slazenger (I believe

SG makes bat for themselves and that is HUGE!

Plus add Kook, Adidas, Nike.

I think Sondhi makes Slaz, Puma. But Puma softs are probably made by SS.

Willowstix by RNS (this might have changed)

Some Mongoose by SS (I think Mongoose are made by like 3-4 companies)

Feel free to add to this list.

Last edited:
Not all of Slazenger bats are made by FC Sondhi, I have heard some are made by CA (softs I know are fully made by FC Sondhi).

Boom Boom Signature range bats are also made by SS, actually SS make softs for loads of companies which includes smaller companies as well.

If I remember correctly I think there was a thread or post which had a list of all, I tried finding it but couldn't find it.

OK-- I know Woodworm might have changed production from Pakistan to India or might have divided its operation now between the two countries.

Woodworms again from what I have heard some are Pakistani made and some Indian made

You know I will be really interested in seeing or hearing some interviews of the batmakers in India and Pakistan; it is really a shame that people just talk about Keeley, Kember, Pack, Gary, Laver, Julian and so on but these names are never mentioned.

Seeing the profit literally blew me away, I was shocked to see that much to be honest. I had thought it would be much much much less than that to be honest.

That is turnover not profit.

Although they probably make considerable profits aswell.

SG are the biggest. Also distribute Kookaburra out there under the name Kopojis.

That is turnover not profit.

Although they probably make considerable profits aswell.

I know ; it is turnover and not profit, hvaing said that since labour is peanuts in that part of the world then I'm sure the profit will be quite hefty:O

SG are the biggest. Also distribute Kookaburra out there under the name Kopojis.

So is one of those three units under that name?

Last edited:
You have to remember when SG make for a brand like Kookaburra, they are probably making for close to the biggest mainstream brand in AUS, NZ, SAF and ENG.

Kookaburra also have a deal with SG that SG wont release bats in Australia (dont know if this exists in other countries, but its definetly the case in Aus), so theres more money there etc. So they are pretty much getting all sales from SG, Wholesale from kookaburra, and I think Adidas too.

You have to remember when SG make for a brand like Kookaburra, they are probably making for close to the biggest mainstream brand in AUS, NZ, SAF and ENG.

Kookaburra also have a deal with SG that SG wont release bats in Australia (dont know if this exists in other countries, but its definetly the case in Aus), so theres more money there etc. So they are pretty much getting all sales from SG, Wholesale from kookaburra, and I think Adidas too.

Wow, thats interesting, never knew Kookaburra has that deal.

By the way, guys I got video of SG factory, credit goes to Tom and CricketInsight for finding it;

[UTUBE]JA8aB3oT-Qo[/UTUBE]

Back