Shan Masood as ODI captain ?

Ali T

Administrator
Staff member
Runs
The test match games are early mornings for me so I haven't been to watch the full extent of his captaincy.

However, for the little I have seen, his captaincy seems to be pretty impressive. Keep in mind, it's not easy for a debut captain to make good decisions. It takes time to learn from your mistakes and rectify in subsequent games. In that respect, I think Shan Masood has hit the ground running and has thus far done a terrific job.

From what I've heard (and seen), he's made some good DRS choices (taken and not taken), and good fielding positions to set up batsmen (I think Warner first test first innings).

His batting is more of a concern at this point. In the first innings of the first test match vs Australia, he played with positive intent while everyone was in defensive mode. In the end he made a streaky 30 +.

Second test match he played beautifully. Only managed to score a 50 in the first innings, but again positive intent was there. Shan with the help of Shafique had shifted the momentum towards Pakistan which I thought would have been unthinkable against Australia in Australia. Just wished he cracked on to make a century.

So, now the real question - should Shan Masood be considered as captain for ODI's ?

His List A record speaks for itself with an average above 50. Much better than his first class record. He's in red hot form in domestic.

Maybe try him for a couple of series ?

Problem is age is no longer his friend. He might have another 5 years left at best - but maybe it gives Pakistan enough time to find a suitable replacement ?

In any case, it's pretty clear I'm in favor :) Just unclear who to drop.

What I've noticed about him as captain is that he's very calm and composed. He doesn't speak much or overreact, and the field settings he arranges show he's not afraid of taking risks. In terms of batting, I've seen an attacking intent and a leading from the front approach in him.

Now, he's the captain of Karachi Kings of PSL 9, and it is right around the corner. So, I believe if he has a good PSL season, he might earn the ODI captaincy too.

The test match games are early mornings for me so I haven't been to watch the full extent of his captaincy.

However, for the little I have seen, his captaincy seems to be pretty impressive. Keep in mind, it's not easy for a debut captain to make good decisions. It takes time to learn from your mistakes and rectify in subsequent games. In that respect, I think Shan Masood has hit the ground running and has thus far done a terrific job.

From what I've heard (and seen), he's made some good DRS choices (taken and not taken), and good fielding positions to set up batsmen (I think Warner first test first innings).

His batting is more of a concern at this point. In the first innings of the first test match vs Australia, he played with positive intent while everyone was in defensive mode. In the end he made a streaky 30 +.

Second test match he played beautifully. Only managed to score a 50 in the first innings, but again positive intent was there. Shan with the help of Shafique had shifted the momentum towards Pakistan which I thought would have been unthinkable against Australia in Australia. Just wished he cracked on to make a century.

So, now the real question - should Shan Masood be considered as captain for ODI's ?

His List A record speaks for itself with an average above 50. Much better than his first class record. He's in red hot form in domestic.

Problem is age is no longer his friend. He might have another 5 years left at best - but maybe it gives Pakistan enough time to find a suitable replacement ?

Yep he has taken good reviews so far. His decisions and bowling changes have also been decent. The tough part of the job for Shan is that his first job as captain turned out to be a tour of Australia and also against a recent test crowned champions in their own home. So things are tough initially for him but if he could win even one match this tour then certainly this will do great to his confidence as captain. He just needs the backing of fans and some time and if he could weather the early storm then certainly he could leave his mark as a great captain.

We have Imam, Abdullah, Babar, Rizwan, Salman…

How many more of these 70s cricketers are we going to stack our ODI side with?

Last edited by a moderator:
The next major ODI tournament is in 2025. Its better to give someone else the reigns for the upcoming cycle. Someone who can captain until the WC ideally.

If Shaheen does well in T20s then he should get the ODI job too.

He should have had an extended run as ODI opener and then been captain through the 2023 world cup (assuming his domestic List A performances would translate).

Does he deserve an ODI spot let alone being the captain?

I feel like Pakistan have better options than Shan in ODI (Fakhar, Babar, Abdullah, Saim, and even Imam).
Are you kidding me with Imam? 😑
After the horrow show he has put up in back to back major championships, the only people who would still want to stick with their guns for this fat useless dud would be his uncle, best mate, agency, pr & I guess the wife.

Shan's performance in domestic has been top class but his international performance is mediocre. Maybe a long run for him can make him eligible for this role but as of yet, I do not think so.

We have Imam, Abdullah, Babar, Rizwan, Salman…

How many more of these 70s cricketers are we going to stack our ODI side with

One of them would have to be dropped. Can't have too many accumulators in the side it wouldn't make sense.

Does he deserve an ODI spot let alone being the captain?

I feel like Pakistan have better options than Shan in ODI (Fakhar, Babar, Abdullah, Saim, and even Imam).
On performance alone he deserves a place but hard to drop Fakhar or Abdullah Shafique at the moment. Just not sure whom he should replace.

With Imam's recent form in ODIs we can easily give him a chance

If he performs well better better to appoint him a captain in ODIs too

Back