Should Pakistan recall the 'black sheep'/TTFs from the past for the ICC 2023 World Cup?

mominsaigol

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
I have seen many articles pop up for some of our past players who were all regular members but kicked out of the team at one point and people have advocated them to be in our current squad so let's list them and tell me what you all think for their inclusion.

1) Sharjeel Khan (our former opener)
2) Sarfraz Ahmed (Former Captain and wicket keeper)
3) Umar Akmal ( his thread is bumped everytime pakistan loses a series)
4) Amir ( Everyone's most popular choice)
5) Imad Waseem ( Everyone's 2nd most popular choice)
6) Hasan Ali ( Some are advocating for his return in the midst of our trio injuries)

^^ Do you think these lads inclusion will be a good thing? And Pakistan needs them in our current 2023 squad?

I haven't listed some former players like sohaib maqsood, Ahmed shezad and fawad alam because unlike the 6 I mentioned no one wants these 3 or any previous of our dark horses back. So it's just these 6 for now.

5/6 of the players you mentioned are championship players who have experience in winning 1+ ICC trophies.

The other player is a player who smashed and beat every team in the PSL and won the cup.

These guys are winners. I am confident in their performance.

1. Sarfraz Ahmed - Winner of 2007 U19 World Cup & Winner of 2017 Champions Trophy
2. Umar Akmal - Winner of 2009 T20 World Cup via his brother
3. Mohammad Amir - Winner of 2009 T20 World Cup& Winner of 2017 Champions Trophy
4. Imad Wasim - Winner of 2007 U19 World Cup & Winner of 2017 Champions Trophy
5. Hasan Ali - Winner of 2017 Champions Trophy

Sarfaraz and Hassan Ali can easily comeback for the 50 over games.

Although I am worried about Hassan's fitness

All six of them are rubbish, with maybe the exception of Imad Wasim who can slot in as a middle-order bat and part time left arm spinner.

It took one tournament to absolutely self-destruct. Naseem’s injury, in-fighting, main players losing form suddenly etc

Only Pakistan, never change Pakistan.

Sarfaraz and Hassan Ali can easily comeback for the 50 over games.

Although I am worried about Hassan's fitness
I think Hassan ali can come in for Faheem, depending on his fitness but I doubt that they will replace Haris with Sarfraz.

All six of them are rubbish, with maybe the exception of Imad Wasim who can slot in as a middle-order bat and part time left arm spinner.

It took one tournament to absolutely self-destruct. Naseem’s injury, in-fighting, main players losing form suddenly etc

Only Pakistan, never change Pakistan.
I made this thread to see people's viewpoints. Because their were a bunch of threads that were disjointed so I organised into one.

I'm just seeing people's viewpoints. I myself only believe in slotting in imad.

Pak fans and selectors tend to press panic button too easily. Naseem injury is unfortunate turn of events but not a disaster situation needing desperate changes. The strengths and weaknesses of Pak going into Asia Cup and returning from it remain more or less same.

None of these old players are silver bullet solutions that will magically augment strengths or solve weaknesses.

Amir/Hasan can be considered for the squad if his rhythm and fitness are deemed good as experienced bowlers. Else it's totally ok to roll dice on Zaman as a wildcard pick

The rest add no discernible value to the squad.

Rizwan is today far better than Sarfaraz in ODIs. His inns vs Sri Lanka was a template #4 knock. Steadied ship and opened up in end.

Shadab/Nawaz have been poor but Imad Wasim is a worse option than either. Abrar can be evaluated as a third spinner pick for the squad to spring in the event of a turning track.

Sharjeel is not an upgrade in Fakhar. It is better to double down and back Fakhar to come good or else replace him in XI during cup if he is totally out of sorts midway through tournament.

Umar Akmal - let's talk about future of Pak cricket and not its past.

You can go with the same rubbish or bring in the old ones

As Babar once said:”koi farq nahi parhta”

The safer bet could be to ask for Wahab Riaz to reconsider his retirement.

Remember when the last time he played in a World Cup in Bharat

The safer bet could be to ask for Wahab Riaz to reconsider his retirement.

Remember when the last time he played in a World Cup in Bharat
IMO, it is not safe, it will be like going back to the past. Wahab is retired and he is nowhere to be back. So we have to focus on the new talent.

IMO, it is not safe, it will be like going back to the past. Wahab is retired and he is nowhere to be back. So we have to focus on the new talent.

One thing about Wahab Riaz is that he’s a work horse.

Pakistani fans have a weird obsession with lore of romance.

They will believe if these 6 won something at some stage of their life, then 10 years later their ghostly replicas will perform to that level again and lead Pakistan to glory.

All. 6 of them are no upgrades over anyone in the team except maybe Imad and that is also doubtful (based on the fallacy that people outside the team are ALWAYS better than the ones INSIDE the team ).

Pakistan can certainly consider Saeed Anwar and Saqlain Mushtaq - but any talk of bringing back Waqar Younis should be nipped in the bud.

Sarfraz should have been the travelling reserve instead of Haris who proves to nothing in ODIs for the chances that he has got so far..

Sarfraz' experience would be a great advantage even if he is not playing in a long tournament like WC, moreover his shrewdness in assessing the match situation even sitting in the dug out would have helped the team formulate strategies.....

Sarfraz should have been the travelling reserve instead of Haris who proves to nothing in ODIs for the chances that he has got so far..

Sarfraz' experience would be a great advantage even if he is not playing in a long tournament like WC, moreover his shrewdness in assessing the match situation even sitting in the dug out would have helped the team formulate strategies.....
Most teams in the world would have had Sarfraz starting however our genius selectors are so shameless that they won't even put him in the squad.

Oh well when this world cup is over than he can finally have his retribution and get back to developing a Pakistan team which we all can support and enjoy to watch

Most teams in the world would have had Sarfraz starting however our genius selectors are so shameless that they won't even put him in the squad.

Oh well when this world cup is over than he can finally have his retribution and get back to developing a Pakistan team which we all can support and enjoy to watch

Haris is probably the only batsman in this entire team that has the ability to bat according to modern day standards.

Haris is probably the only batsman in this entire team that has the ability to bat according to modern day standards.
Yes, He plays spin very well and can anchor the innings in that middle-order phase but Rizwan has done well in ODI's so he is going nowhere, to be honest. Yes, Sarfraz can replace Haris as a backup keeper but not Rizwan at the moment.

Yes, He plays spin very well and can anchor the innings in that middle-order phase but Rizwan has done well in ODI's so he is going nowhere, to be honest. Yes, Sarfraz can replace Haris as a backup keeper but not Rizwan at the moment.
Haris doesn't play spin well at all. He plays pace well. He's useful as a no 7.

Haris doesn't play spin well at all. He plays pace well. He's useful as a no 7.
Actually, I was talking about Sarfraz here, not Haris. Haris can come down the order. He is more of a finisher rather than a middle-order batter. Sarfraz is the one we should have kept in reserves,

Actually, I was talking about Sarfraz here, not Haris. Haris can come down the order. He is more of a finisher rather than a middle-order batter. Sarfraz is the one we should have kept in reserves,
Oh sorry my bad, I misunderstood.

Give me all the hate for this haha but had he not taken ODI retirement I would have at least considered Shoaib Malik in the middle order

I've seen your posts on Sarfaraz. You probably confuse him with Viv Richards. They are different players 🙂

The chances of Malik buying a run are as remote as the chance of snowfall in Dubai.

Malik would’ve been more effective with bat/ball in India than the likes of Agha, Ifthikar, Nawaz and Shadab.

The one player that could’ve won us that game in Mohali…

The chances of Malik buying a run are as remote as the chance of snowfall in Dubai.
Normally I would've called you insane but looking at some of our guys in the middle order like Agha, Shadab, Nawaz, etc., it's hard to believe Malik could be worse. Plenty of experience along with a good handle on Indian soil and a great player of spin.

Mohammad Amir and Imad Wasim while speaking on TV:

Mohammad Amir:

“Imad Wasim and Sarfaraz Ahmed should have been part of the squad”
“I think Zaman Khan and Abrar Ahmed should have also been part of the 15-member squad instead of reserves. Abrar would have been handy in spinning conditions, meanwhile Zaman bowls well in pressure situations which he showed during the PSL as well. He also did well in his debut match during the Asia Cup and brought Pakistan back into the match,”

Imad Wasim:
“All the teams pick their senior and experienced players for the World Cup but the team is selected now and we should back them,”

Mohammad Amir and Imad Wasim while speaking on TV:

Mohammad Amir:

“Imad Wasim and Sarfaraz Ahmed should have been part of the squad”
“I think Zaman Khan and Abrar Ahmed should have also been part of the 15-member squad instead of reserves. Abrar would have been handy in spinning conditions, meanwhile Zaman bowls well in pressure situations which he showed during the PSL as well. He also did well in his debut match during the Asia Cup and brought Pakistan back into the match,”

Imad Wasim:
“All the teams pick their senior and experienced players for the World Cup but the team is selected now and we should back them,”
Lol I see what imad wasim did their, imad you Sly fox 😂.

Back