Should the Asian Test Championship make a return?

sweep_shot

Test Star
Runs
Asian Test Championship used to be a thing in late-90's and early-2000's. It was quite entertaining at that time.

I believe there have been two editions. One was won by Pakistan and another was won by Sri Lanka.

Do you think it should be brought back? It can allow us to watch Pakistan vs India Tests too.

I wouldn't mind seeing it back.

I'm afraid it's not possible due to too many franchise leagues, there won't be a window for this tournament

Test cricket is declining internationally nobody bothers to watch 7 hours of Tuk Tuk these days so bringing it to smaller regions wont work either so it’s better to stick with shorter formats.

It will be difficult to schedule.

How about this for an idea?

The two highest placed Asian teams in the ICC test championship also play a one off test match for the Asian championship.

No need for further games in the calendar Not guaranteed but most likely result is an India V Pakistan final or India V Sri Lanka final for the Asian test championship. Bangladeshis are bros but no need to involve them

Some of the money from TV rights goes to other ACC members. It adds one test match every two years only but gives it a bit of prestige.

Cha Ching!

Test cricket is dying in most countries because it’s a loss generator for almost all cricket boards.

If it wasn’t for the rich traditions associated with this format of the game, it would have been killed off years ago.

Sadly only tests played between Australia, India and England are actually worth watching. Other teams give it little importance except for when they play the big 3.

It will be difficult to schedule.

How about this for an idea?

The two highest placed Asian teams in the ICC test championship also play a one off test match for the Asian championship.

No need for further games in the calendar Not guaranteed but most likely result is an India V Pakistan final or India V Sri Lanka final for the Asian test championship. Bangladeshis are bros but no need to involve them

Some of the money from TV rights goes to other ACC members. It adds one test match every two years only but gives it a bit of prestige.

Cha Ching!

Yeah.

This is not a bad idea.

First two editions of this tournament was quite good in terms of quality.

Asian Test Championship used to be a thing in late-90's and early-2000's. It was quite entertaining at that time.

I believe there have been two editions. One was won by Pakistan and another was won by Sri Lanka.

Do you think it should be brought back? It can allow us to watch Pakistan vs India Tests too.

I wouldn't mind seeing it back.
There is a reason it has not been played for a couple of decades. No one cares.

Test cricket has no fans in Pak., BD, SL. A dwindling by the day fans in Ind.

India will not play Pakistan. Which means it will throw the whole points table off. Not sure how that will be corrected when all teams do not play each other. Or likely, Ind may not participate at all. If that happens, the championship will be between countries that do not care or want test cricket. Neither the fans nor the boards. Now, why would you suffer through that?

Another issue, money. There is absolutely zero money to be made. Especially if India do not participate. Will be a loss making proposition. Why would PCB, SLC or BD take up such a project. Especially when they are struggling for finances.

So, this is a non starter.

Yes.
Bangladesh
Pakistan
SriLanka
Afghanistan. All of the above nations can have a small Asian test championship between themselves.

Yes.
Bangladesh
Pakistan
SriLanka
Afghanistan. All of the above nations can have a small Asian test championship between themselves.

Do you know India have never won it? LOL. There have been two editions. Both times it was Pakistan vs SL in the final.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know India have never won it? LOL. There have been two editions. Both times it was Pakistan vs SL in the final.
Good for Pakistan and Sri Lanka for being the permanently the best Asian Teams in Cricket! :)
Congratulations to them!

Unless India Pakistan bilateral happens, the Asian test Championship will either be without India or Pakistan which practically makes no sense!

Good for Pakistan and Sri Lanka for being the permanently the best Asian Teams in Cricket! :)
Congratulations to them!

Unless India Pakistan bilateral happens, the Asian test Championship will either be without India or Pakistan which practically makes no sense!

They can play in neutral venues. Venue is not an issue.

Why are you unnecessarily bringing it in this thread. His point is that India is unlikely to play just like they didn't play in 2002

Why are you unnecessarily bringing it in this thread. His point is that India is unlikely to play just like they didn't play in 2002
Arre, he deeply cares about India.
Any missing line in India's CV is being highlighted for us to check mark. Where can we find such sincere concern for our achievements :hamster:

I honestly wasn't aware of the second Asian Test Championship. :)

Wht would the excuse be here if they play in Asia cup T20 and 50 overs?

Arre, he deeply cares about India.
Any missing line in India's CV is being highlighted for us to check mark. Where can we find such sincere concern for our achievements :hamster:

I honestly wasn't aware of the second Asian Test Championship. :)
The 2nd one was a farce that's why . Absolutely nobody was interested and they ended up playing the SL-PAK group match as the final instead of playing an extra match.

Without India, Test cricket was already dead in Asia even back then

I am touching about the point being made specifically saying the tournament can't happen as India do not play Pakistan. If they can play in ODI and T20 under the ACC banner why not test?

I don't think financial viability or lack of interest in tests in Asia is the answer to this question.

Could be a nice little fun tournament.

Between top 4 ranked teams in Asia -

Match 1 - India (1) vs Bangladesh (4)
Match 2 - Pakistan (2) vs Sri Lanka (3)

Final between Winners1 and Winners 2 - Potentially an India vs Pakistan Test match after almost two decades.

With some smart scheduling this could be done within two weeks.

I don't think financial viability or lack of interest in tests in Asia is the answer to this question.

As I posted above, they just have to rig it to make it an India vs Pakistan final.

An Asian Test final between India and Pakistan will still be a blockbuster money making event with 5 full days of ad slots to the host broadcaster.

I'm really surprised ACC didn't get this idea yet.

As I posted above, they just have to rig it to make it an India vs Pakistan final.

An Asian Test final between India and Pakistan will still be a blockbuster money making event with 5 full days of ad slots to the host broadcaster.

Yeah I'm surprised too, it does seem like a no brainer.

I don't even see the need for extra matches. Just play a final based on WTC rankings every two years.

As I posted above, they just have to rig it to make it an India vs Pakistani final.

Because only india vs pakistan match is financial profitable

Then what about other's match .

Let assume two groups

India
Pakistan

Sri Lanka
Bangladesh

So this tournament take 1 month's times and apart from india - Pakistan test , no other test will be profitable.

Because only india vs pakistan match is financial profitable

Then what about other's match .

Let assume two groups

India
Pakistan

Sri Lanka
Bangladesh

So this tournament take 1 month's times and apart from india - Pakistan test , no other test will be profitable.

Why would it take a month? It's just 3 games. Two semi finals , which can be played parallelly and a final. The whole tournament could be done in two weeks

And India will take part in 2 out of these 3 games (unless teams like SL/BD beat us which is extremely unlikely) and everyone knows no international cricket game involving India would end up in a loss.

ACC should have one Asian championship every year rotating between the three formats so that we won't get bored of the same thing.

I personally would love that over all the meaningless bilaterals.

the three highest ranking asian test teams should play a play off style two test series, 3 vs 2, winner plays 1. both matches at natural grounds, in case of a draw go to nrr, which would encourage aggressive play and reduce odds of draws.

2 tests is not difficult to organise on a biannual basis, to coincide with the years there is no WTC final, based on the previous cycles wtc rankings.

so it would be pak vs sl, and winner plays india based on last cycle.

It's still nice to see the highlights of old ones when Pakistan used to dominate in this tournament.

Unfortunately this can’t happen due to India’s hybrid policy towards playing Pakistan in hybrid locations.

the three highest ranking asian test teams should play a play off style two test series, 3 vs 2, winner plays 1. both matches at natural grounds, in case of a draw go to nrr, which would encourage aggressive play and reduce odds of draws.

2 tests is not difficult to organise on a biannual basis, to coincide with the years there is no WTC final, based on the previous cycles wtc rankings.

so it would be pak vs sl, and winner plays india based on last cycle.
The problem is not the organizing. It can be done. The problem is the money involved in organizing. More specifically, the amount of money that would be lost.

I am fairly certain that $$$ loss is one of the top reasons for this not being organized any longer. Besides a ton of other reasons like no interest from fans, boards, etc., etc.

ACC should have one Asian championship every year rotating between the three formats so that we won't get bored of the same thing.

I personally would love that over all the meaningless bilaterals.
I would contend that people are/would be just as disinterested in ATC as they are with a meaningless bi-lateral test. Because, if there was demand for this, it would already be happening.

In that case, the ATC would be the perfect one. India will likely easily walk away from it. Thus leaving Pak, SL, BD and Afg.

Such a tournament will not make any money. None of these four boards can afford hosting multiple test series that will barely attract fans and for which the broadcasting rights won't be very lucrative either.

Something like this is not going to save Test cricket, it's only going to accelerate the death of the boards.

Such a tournament will not make any money. None of these four boards can afford hosting multiple test series that will barely attract fans and for which the broadcasting rights won't be very lucrative either.

Something like this is not going to save Test cricket, it's only going to accelerate the death of the boards.
Absolutely. What you say is 100% true. Loss making proposition every which way. It is just that people wanted a tournament without India. This would be the one as India will not hesitate to get out of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would it take a month? It's just 3 games. Two semi finals , which can be played parallelly and a final. The whole tournament could be done in two weeks

And India will take part in 2 out of these 3 games (unless teams like SL/BD beat us which is extremely unlikely) and everyone knows no international cricket game involving India would end up in a loss.

Playing 2 matches parallel is unlikely to occur as it will limit the amount of money broadcasters can extract as the number of eyeballs per game will be diluted. Assuming the entire tournament is held in one country/location it may also become logistically difficult and can limit the gate money too.

My first cricket match live was the final of asian test championship. I was lucky enough to see a wasim akram hattrick

India is not going to part of this tournament because of obvious reason. ATC can make a return but it won't be a money making event and without India/Pakistan games, this event will be nothing but a boring affair as nobody is interested in watching Afghanistan vs Bangaldesh game.

My first cricket match live was the final of asian test championship. I was lucky enough to see a wasim akram hattrick

I remember it like yesterday.

Pakistan and India met in group stage and Pakistan won that one.

SL-Ind was a draw.

1st edition of ATC was a classic one.

India is not going to part of this tournament because of obvious reason

What obvious reasons?

If India can play Asia cup ODI and T20 without any fuss, then what's the issue with playing it in a Test format?

Main reason for this tournament to not happen is the lack of coordination and communication between the ACC member boards.

What obvious reasons?

If India can play Asia cup ODI and T20 without any fuss, then what's the issue with playing it in a Test format?

Main reason for this tournament to not happen is the lack of coordination and communication between the ACC member boards.
Or every other board makes a loss in playing tests and are not interested one bit!
All except India play the bare minimum requirement matches for WTC and one expects them to play more tests! :ROFLMAO:

What obvious reasons?

Actually, it's no marketing potential, no money to be made, will lose money and.....no one cares!

Or every other board makes a loss in playing tests and are not interested one bit!
All except India play the bare minimum requirement matches for WTC and one expects them to play more tests! :ROFLMAO:

Actually, it's no marketing potential, no money to be made, will lose money and.....no one cares!

As I already said above, the tournament in itself wouldn't make losses as India will most likely play two games out of three including the final. In fact an India Pakistan test match will be a dream come true for the broadcaster as they can sell the ad slots for the whole five days.

Plenty of Indians do actually tune it to watch our Tests. And so will Pakistanis I'm sure, if they're playing India after such a long time. Indian home Tests still draw a decent tv viewership thanks to our massive market..now imagine a tournament final against Pakistan.

As I already said above, the tournament in itself wouldn't make losses as India will most likely play two games out of three including the final. In fact an India Pakistan test match will be a dream come true for the broadcaster as they can sell the ad slots for the whole five days.

Plenty of Indians do actually tune it to watch our Tests. And so will Pakistanis I'm sure, if they're playing India after such a long time. Indian home Tests still draw a decent tv viewership thanks to our massive market..now imagine a tournament final against Pakistan.
So basically, its all about having a game with India. :p

Back